Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1685212 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15090 on: February 26, 2014, 10:47:16 AM »
The headache I have had since 4:30 AM.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15091 on: February 26, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »
Small annoyance but it does bug me sometimes. Posts that use the abbreviations for US states instead of spelling them out. I can figure out a few of the obvious ones - New York, New
Jersey, California, Florida, for example.  I'm not sure I ever learned to the names of all 50 states, let alone the abbreviations. Haven't noticed it with other countries - maybe because most forum members are US and it's assumed knowledge. Figure a state's been mentioned because it's relevant to a post. Often wish posters would take pity of those of us who live elsewhere and spell it out once before abbreviating.

Going back a few days, to this one -- I too am not in the States; while I feel that my US geography is not too bad, I have a similar problem with the abbreviations.  As Psychopoesie says, some are obvious, or can be worked out from context; others, not so much so. I feel that you US folk have altogether too many states that begin with M ! -- also, I cannot for the life of me remember whether AK is Alaska or Arkansas, or what is the abbreviation for the other of those two.  Can any kind person set me right on this last point?  There's got to be some memory-aid which can be devised re this particular "headache"...
http://www.50states.com/abbreviations.htm#.UwtzBIVnjW4

BD: many thanks. Eight "M's" -- that's just too much ! -- especially since I sometimes get extra-confused by Manitoba, though a moment's reflection usually clarifies, that that one is in the US's neighbour to the north.

The pestiferous "A's": I being one for whom the sillier the memory-aid is, the more memorable it is -- dealing with the problem, looked at as follows.

Alabama (AL): think of the daft joke by Groucho Marx, about the city of TUSCALOOSA (prominent "L"), in that state: "When hunting elephants in Africa, I always have dreadful trouble getting their tusks out; but in Alabama, Tuscaloosa."

Alaska (AK): an inhabitant of Alaska might perhaps paddle around the shores of his state in a KAYAK.

Arizona (AZ): obvious, with the only incidence of the relatively uncommon letter Z.

Arkansas (AR): lies alongside the biggest RIVER in North America.

Latest posts -- glad to learn that some US citizens sometimes struggle, also !

To my knowledge unless someone uses the aberration regularly it wouldn't be expect for them to know them all of them.  Not that it comes up in conversation but I would expect every 4th grader to know there are 50 states but I would think it was weird if anyone for a cashier at McDonald to a  neurosurgeon didn't know off the top of their heads whether  MI. was for Michigan , Minnesota , Mississippi  or Missouri.   

Many years ago, I took shorthand class in high school. Yes, a skill that's useless now! But we did learn one skill I use all the time: we had to memorize all the states' initials. I always thought it was common knowledge, but I do see a lot of people who mix them up.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15092 on: February 26, 2014, 12:47:44 PM »
Some of the quizzes on fbook that have been popping up where you have to choose an image and not all of them tell you just what the image is of.  IE "Choose a band" but there are no names, just pictures and typically I have no idea who 6 of the 9 bands are, and of the ones I do know, I don't really like them.

Just makes me feel old and out of the loop, as much of it is pop culture.  Sometimes it's "Pick a fandom!" And the choices are:

Dr. Who
Pretty Little Liars
Supernatural
Duck Dynasty
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Then sometimes there are 3 snarky options about not owning a tv,  living under a rock and not knowing what they are, or being too superior.  Um, it's none of the above. I do have a tv (though no satellite or cable), I am aware of the series, I'm just not interested.

While I'm sure they're popular, I just don't watch them!

I have gotten to a point where if I can't answer the question I stop the quiz.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

exitzero

« Reply #15093 on: February 26, 2014, 12:52:23 PM »
It Really Annoys me when people Capitalize random Words.
  >:( >:( >:(

There is a particular person in a chat I frequent that capitalizes every word!

I "have" a Facebook friend "who" randomly puts "quotations" around "words".

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #15094 on: February 26, 2014, 02:22:59 PM »
Then librarian scolded me for using the book drop

I used to take the same fitness class as an employee of the local library, and oh my, the complaints she had about people using the book drop.  "People use it even when the library is open!  It's such a pain!"  I sympathize, really - the books end up all over the floor instead of nicely stacked on a desk, but the book drop is there to be used, right?

In our case, the library was already closed, so he couldn't have returned them at the desk.  And yes, I always thought they existed for the convenience of those who were unable to go wait in line. 

MrTango

« Reply #15095 on: February 26, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »
Then librarian scolded me for using the book drop

I used to take the same fitness class as an employee of the local library, and oh my, the complaints she had about people using the book drop.  "People use it even when the library is open!  It's such a pain!"  I sympathize, really - the books end up all over the floor instead of nicely stacked on a desk, but the book drop is there to be used, right?

In our case, the library was already closed, so he couldn't have returned them at the desk.  And yes, I always thought they existed for the convenience of those who were unable to go wait in line.

If the bookdrop causes books to end up all over the floor, then the problem isn't that people are using it, but that the library doesn't have an adequate way of collecting books dropped.

At my local library, the book drop is outside the front doors.  If I'm just dropping off, am I supposed to walk past the book drop, into the building (which also houses a branch of the county's courts), up a flight of stairs, and then to the return desk?

Hillia

« Reply #15096 on: February 26, 2014, 03:01:27 PM »
Many libraries I've been to lock the outside book drop because they do want the books returned inside the building if the library is open.  They typically have an inside book drop that is checked frequently, but the outside is reserved for after hours use only.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #15097 on: February 26, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »
Many libraries I've been to lock the outside book drop because they do want the books returned inside the building if the library is open.  They typically have an inside book drop that is checked frequently, but the outside is reserved for after hours use only.

That's how most of the libraries around me do it. There are few with drive up drop offs that are open all the time and kind of look like over sized mailboxes to me.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #15098 on: February 26, 2014, 05:18:19 PM »
USPS.  We recently went out of town for a few days, so I put a mail hold and picked the option of having the mail delivered on the last day, which was when we would be coming home.  There was no mail waiting for us when we got home.  Nor was there any the next day.  Or the day after that.

Finally I called the post office and asked about the mail, and was told "There's a lot of it, so he (the mail carrier, I assume) wanted you to come pick it up."

Fine.  The post office is fairly near the house, and going to pick it up isn't a big deal.  But was it too much to ask to have someone, you know, let me know that's what they'd decided?  ???
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #15099 on: February 27, 2014, 01:59:09 AM »
Pushy people.  Yesterday at church a new person sat next to me after the service and started pushing instantly to have a girl's day out, didn't I want to have some girl time? Nice earrings, you know she makes jewelry, she could make anything, don't I want to go shopping? Her "friend" could watch the baby (meanwhile said "Friend" is shaking his head which she's fully ignoring) She never asked for money but they kept pushing for me to meet them in the park and she kept pushing for me to go out shopping, which I kept turning down. 

They kept leaning in and while I wasn't fully cornered, I couldn't help but feel claustrophobic.

Thankfully the little guy took that opportunity to run across the hall and I was able to get up and say "Sorry, gatta go catch the kid!" While I was away from them, another woman who had been helping out with the church's free meal the day before warned me that this couple had been telling different stories to different folks and asking for either money or rides.

If you were in CO (Colorado!), I'd say you were dealing with Bio*Mom.  After she got kicked out of where she was living and lost her job, she started to ask if she could take Six to church.  We rarely if ever deny visits (usually only when it just is not possible or just not safe), so of course Six goes to church the first week.  The second week, same thing.  It only took the second week for it to get around to us that Bio*Mom was telling everyone she was a single mom whose husband kicked her and Six out, they had no where to stay, nothing to eat, couldn't they please have some money?

*logical/waste

Seriously?  You think calling another human being 'bio waste' is acceptable? I hope the child you purport to care about doesn't hear you speaking about her mother this way.

Xandraea

« Reply #15100 on: February 27, 2014, 02:22:24 AM »

I "have" a Facebook friend "who" randomly puts "quotations" around "words".

I totally read that line in this voice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_cAS-mvV20

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #15101 on: February 27, 2014, 05:50:04 AM »

That Drives Me Rather Mad Too.  Seriously, a chatter I used to know from a chatroom used to do that and I could never work out why because it takes longer to write like that than it does normally.

Similarly, people who type in caps all the time. Don't they realise by now that they're yelling?!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15102 on: February 27, 2014, 07:00:38 AM »
Some of the quizzes on fbook that have been popping up where you have to choose an image and not all of them tell you just what the image is of.  IE "Choose a band" but there are no names, just pictures and typically I have no idea who 6 of the 9 bands are, and of the ones I do know, I don't really like them.

Just makes me feel old and out of the loop, as much of it is pop culture.  Sometimes it's "Pick a fandom!" And the choices are:

Dr. Who
Pretty Little Liars
Supernatural
Duck Dynasty
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Then sometimes there are 3 snarky options about not owning a tv,  living under a rock and not knowing what they are, or being too superior.  Um, it's none of the above. I do have a tv (though no satellite or cable), I am aware of the series, I'm just not interested.

While I'm sure they're popular, I just don't watch them!

I have gotten to a point where if I can't answer the question I stop the quiz.

Haha. I know! Some of the options I don't recognize at all!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15103 on: February 27, 2014, 07:07:11 AM »
The organizer (s) of my HS reunion. Apparently there is one scheduled for next fall. But right now, the info is ONLY only classmates.com, which is had to register for to see the info. And I only knew something was even planned because someone else asked about it on FB. I wasn't the only one though, and the initial asker contacted the organizer, who said she's working with some company that plans them, and info etc will be on FB shortly.

Grrrr. And out of 500+, only half were "invited" via the classmates invite. Thankfully I'm local, and it's actually close to where I live now, which is about 45 mins from where we lived. But I have to wonder about those who need to make travel arrangements, if they don't know, and don't find out for a while. Personally, I think they should have used several channels to get the word out, even if only just the date and location.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15104 on: February 27, 2014, 07:48:20 AM »
People who are slobs in public places.  One of my movie meetup groups is a fun crowd but last night I saw candy boxes all over the floor after the film was over.  Can't they just pick the stuff up and toss it in the garbage can near the door?