Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1779030 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15105 on: February 27, 2014, 09:09:34 AM »
Pushy people.  Yesterday at church a new person sat next to me after the service and started pushing instantly to have a girl's day out, didn't I want to have some girl time? Nice earrings, you know she makes jewelry, she could make anything, don't I want to go shopping? Her "friend" could watch the baby (meanwhile said "Friend" is shaking his head which she's fully ignoring) She never asked for money but they kept pushing for me to meet them in the park and she kept pushing for me to go out shopping, which I kept turning down. 

They kept leaning in and while I wasn't fully cornered, I couldn't help but feel claustrophobic.

Thankfully the little guy took that opportunity to run across the hall and I was able to get up and say "Sorry, gatta go catch the kid!" While I was away from them, another woman who had been helping out with the church's free meal the day before warned me that this couple had been telling different stories to different folks and asking for either money or rides.

If you were in CO (Colorado!), I'd say you were dealing with Bio*Mom.  After she got kicked out of where she was living and lost her job, she started to ask if she could take Six to church.  We rarely if ever deny visits (usually only when it just is not possible or just not safe), so of course Six goes to church the first week.  The second week, same thing.  It only took the second week for it to get around to us that Bio*Mom was telling everyone she was a single mom whose husband kicked her and Six out, they had no where to stay, nothing to eat, couldn't they please have some money?

*logical/waste

Seriously?  You think calling another human being 'bio waste' is acceptable? I hope the child you purport to care about doesn't hear you speaking about her mother this way.

I agree. I also don't think name-calling is appropriate on an etiquette site.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #15106 on: February 27, 2014, 09:17:24 AM »
Pushy people.  Yesterday at church a new person sat next to me after the service and started pushing instantly to have a girl's day out, didn't I want to have some girl time? Nice earrings, you know she makes jewelry, she could make anything, don't I want to go shopping? Her "friend" could watch the baby (meanwhile said "Friend" is shaking his head which she's fully ignoring) She never asked for money but they kept pushing for me to meet them in the park and she kept pushing for me to go out shopping, which I kept turning down. 

They kept leaning in and while I wasn't fully cornered, I couldn't help but feel claustrophobic.

Thankfully the little guy took that opportunity to run across the hall and I was able to get up and say "Sorry, gatta go catch the kid!" While I was away from them, another woman who had been helping out with the church's free meal the day before warned me that this couple had been telling different stories to different folks and asking for either money or rides.

If you were in CO (Colorado!), I'd say you were dealing with Bio*Mom.  After she got kicked out of where she was living and lost her job, she started to ask if she could take Six to church.  We rarely if ever deny visits (usually only when it just is not possible or just not safe), so of course Six goes to church the first week.  The second week, same thing.  It only took the second week for it to get around to us that Bio*Mom was telling everyone she was a single mom whose husband kicked her and Six out, they had no where to stay, nothing to eat, couldn't they please have some money?

*logical/waste

Seriously?  You think calling another human being 'bio waste' is acceptable? I hope the child you purport to care about doesn't hear you speaking about her mother this way.

I thought MM meant her *own* mother but I may have got this wrong!
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #15107 on: February 27, 2014, 09:56:53 AM »
Websites that completely cover up the content I came to see until I watch their sponsored advertisements.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

zinzin

« Reply #15108 on: February 27, 2014, 10:04:05 AM »

*logical/waste

Agreed. And since you are apparently actively coparenting (you say that "you" are making decisions about contact?), you will want to be very careful that you are being productive and neutral rather than spiteful. A coparenting situation can be very stressful for a child, particularly with a recent addition to the situation, even when all parties are being civil.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #15109 on: February 27, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »

*logical/waste

And yet we do it all the time.  ALL the time.  People routinely get named "clueless", or "jerk" in stories.  Even my all-time favorite series of stories, Yarnspinner's, does it.  It's the norm around here.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #15110 on: February 27, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »

*logical/waste

And yet we do it all the time.  ALL the time.  People routinely get named "clueless", or "jerk" in stories.  Even my all-time favorite series of stories, Yarnspinner's, does it.  It's the norm around here.

Calling someone biological waste seems a bit more mean-spirited than calling someone clueless, though. 

PurpleyBlue

• Big Girl Getting Thin
« Reply #15111 on: February 27, 2014, 11:07:05 AM »

*logical/waste

Calling someone a jerk really does not compare to calling someone biological waste, IMHO. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15112 on: February 27, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »
Can we please return to 'Little Things That Drive You Up the Wall'?

It's too good a thread to be locked. 

mrkitty

« Reply #15113 on: February 27, 2014, 11:32:46 AM »
When you've entered, are about to exit or are cruising through the parking lot of an establishment looking for a parking space, and you stop for a pedestrian crossing to or from the parking slots (unlike so many other drivers seem to do these days) and you politely wave them through so they know you'll wait, and the pedestrian not only does *not* acknowledge the fact that you did so, but also proceeds to walk sloooooooooowly across your path*...almost as if they're doing it on purpose as a power trip. I really hate that. I do wish politeness/graciousness could be met with equal measures of same.  :-\

*This in no way applies to the visibly disabled or infirm. I'm talking about people who were walking just fine a split second before you stopped for them.

The reverse just happened the other day. I was leaving the grocery store, and stopped for a middle aged gentleman to cross in front of my path. I waved him through, and he waved back and expedited his trip across my path - it was unexpected but very appreciated. Just a nice gesture from one person to the other, as if to say "thank you for politely waiting for me to cross (as you should, since, hey, you're in a car and I'm not) and in return, I acknowledge you're waiting and will make a small, but noticable effort nonetheless, to be equally gracious to you." It was very nice.
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15114 on: February 27, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »
Ugh, I hate that too, MrKitty.  I find that happening to me as well and like you said, it doesn't apply to the visibly disabled or infirm and while I know not all disabilities are visible, if someone's walking normally till I stop for them to cross, that makes it a pretty good bet that they are capable of walking quickly.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #15115 on: February 27, 2014, 12:09:54 PM »
When you've entered, are about to exit or are cruising through the parking lot of an establishment looking for a parking space, and you stop for a pedestrian crossing to or from the parking slots (unlike so many other drivers seem to do these days) and you politely wave them through so they know you'll wait, and the pedestrian not only does *not* acknowledge the fact that you did so, but also proceeds to walk sloooooooooowly across your path*...almost as if they're doing it on purpose as a power trip. I really hate that. I do wish politeness/graciousness could be met with equal measures of same.  :-\

*This in no way applies to the visibly disabled or infirm. I'm talking about people who were walking just fine a split second before you stopped for them.

The reverse just happened the other day. I was leaving the grocery store, and stopped for a middle aged gentleman to cross in front of my path. I waved him through, and he waved back and expedited his trip across my path - it was unexpected but very appreciated. Just a nice gesture from one person to the other, as if to say "thank you for politely waiting for me to cross (as you should, since, hey, you're in a car and I'm not) and in return, I acknowledge you're waiting and will make a small, but noticable effort nonetheless, to be equally gracious to you." It was very nice.

Can I add people who insist on walking behind your car as you are actively backing out of a stall?  I had to stop 5 or 6 times this weekend at the grocery store, with my back end half in and half out of the parking stall because people kept walking right behind my car. That's not only annoying, it just seems foolish!  What if figured I had the clearance and just started coming out full tilt?

Alli8098

« Reply #15116 on: February 27, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »
Right now my pet peeve is scented soaps, sanitizers, candles, and certain air-fresheners.  But I'll let you know it's a personal thing because of being pregnant.  Some scented items don't bother me too much but some just make me want to throw-up. 

But I also have asthma so even when I'm not pregnant some scented things still drive me crazy.  I can't stand people who wear copious amounts of cologne or perfume.  I shouldn't still be able to smell it when you walked away 5 minutes ago.  And some stores that have super strong scented items right at the door as you walk in.  I usually want to turn right back around and go somewhere else (we even have a particular clothing store in our mall that is like that).

This is a personal thing for me though.  ::)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15117 on: February 27, 2014, 02:03:12 PM »
Right now my pet peeve is scented soaps, sanitizers, candles, and certain air-fresheners.  But I'll let you know it's a personal thing because of being pregnant.  Some scented items don't bother me too much but some just make me want to throw-up. 

But I also have asthma so even when I'm not pregnant some scented things still drive me crazy.  I can't stand people who wear copious amounts of cologne or perfume.  I shouldn't still be able to smell it when you walked away 5 minutes ago.  And some stores that have super strong scented items right at the door as you walk in.  I usually want to turn right back around and go somewhere else (we even have a particular clothing store in our mall that is like that).

I don't think it's all that personal. I have very, very healthy lungs and love using light scents, but I gasp when I walk into  Bath & Body Works when they are busy and everyone is spraying stuff, and today I walked by a large display of air fresheners and it truly was a physical pain.

There are some stores I don't go into because of the fresheners. Recently I found that one I wouldn't go into was overscented to cover the mildew odor. I wonder if any of the employees will get sick from it.

GreenHall

« Reply #15118 on: February 27, 2014, 02:11:26 PM »
in the 'scented' vein - I bought kitchen garbage bags recently, and was excited to find black ones (black trashcan).  "Odor Block" - that's cool.  Got home - it's Odor Block - Fresh Breeze or some such.  It smells like artificial flowers.  Everytime I open/close the trashcan.  And since it's a footpedal lid it seems like the lid going down pushes even more air/scent out every time. 
Luckily a little time with my friend, Google, and I discovered they DO make unscented, black, odor-block bags, though I did have to go to another walmart to actually find them on the shelves, rather than just a tag for them  ::)

I like some scents.  THat I choose.  Frankly, with the lid I have, the garbage-y odor that I sometimes get at the end of the trash-week lasts a shorter time than the fake floral stuff.

Alli8098

« Reply #15119 on: February 27, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »

I don't think it's all that personal. I have very, very healthy lungs and love using light scents, but I gasp when I walk into  Bath & Body Works when they are busy and everyone is spraying stuff, and today I walked by a large display of air fresheners and it truly was a physical pain.

There are some stores I don't go into because of the fresheners. Recently I found that one I wouldn't go into was overscented to cover the mildew odor. I wonder if any of the employees will get sick from it.

I'll out the store I sort of mentioned, it's the Abercrombie and Fitch store. All you have to do is get within a certain perimeter of the entrance and you get hit with some really strong perfumy scent.  It's been like that for years and it's awful.

For scented stuff at home I've trained DH to know I must approve said item or scented things get tossed/returned.  I can't even really wear spray perfumes or colognes, I do lightly scented lotions as they don't seem to bother me.  DH knows that when he chooses to wear a sprayed product to spray it away from me.  Once the particles are out of the air then they don't bother me.