Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1736643 times)

Belle

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15135 on: March 01, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »
1) Last night I forgot my mp3 player, and I was doing a medium-length run on a treadmill. Very boring (and long!) with out music to distract me. I could have kicked myself.

2) To prevent me from checking the time/distance every 30 seconds, I people-watched and set goals based on what other people were doing. For example, I decided I would take a water break when the two young women on the mats finished their stretching, etc. And then they took FOREVER. They did five crunches, then played with their phones. 30 seconds of planks, then chatting with somebody who stopped by. At one point, one of the women looked like she was taking a nap on the mat - she laid down, unmoving, for several minutes. (It didn't look like she was stretching or anything.) All in all, it took nearly 25 minutes before they finished. They weren't in anybody's way and had every right to lollygag - but oh my goodness! I was dying for them to get up and leave because I told myself I would not take a break until they left, and darn it, I was sticking to that! (Silly, I know.)

My husband joked that the poor women were probably wondering why the woman on the treadmill was giving them the death glare.  ;) (I wasn't, I promise!)

Carotte

« Reply #15136 on: March 01, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »
My SO sometimes sends me job listings and bugs me to no end until I apply to them, but it's always listings that asks for at least 3 years experience in field B, a field somewhat related to my field A. But even if I have some experience in B, I don't have a degree in it, and even less 3 year of experience, I don't even have 3 years in field A!
He doesn't understand that's there's less than a 0,0000000001 chance I would even be considered for the post.
I don't even get interviews or a reply for listings in field A that are ok with just graduated people and are a perfect description of my skillset.
He doesn't understand how hard it is, emotionally, to never ever get any answer or prospect after a year of searching. All while seeing him being literally chased after by a bunch of companies that want him, without him having to lift a finger (at searching I mean).

I know he's right when he says it doesn't cost me anything, it doesn't even cost me postage, but it does take an emotional toll. At least now he knows to drop the subject when I tell him to...

Craftyone

« Reply #15137 on: March 01, 2014, 08:33:57 PM »
People saying carmel instead of caramel.  I always think of the girl's name not the sweet stuff.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15138 on: March 01, 2014, 09:30:14 PM »
People saying carmel instead of caramel.  I always think of the girl's name not the sweet stuff.

That's a regional difference. I have seen it on those word pronunciation  tests that tell where your accent is from.

I know! That doesn't make any difference if it bugs you.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #15139 on: March 02, 2014, 12:51:38 AM »
Watching 'How it's made' and wincing every time they say 'sodder' instead of 'solder', or 'aluminum' instead of 'aluminum'.

Really! It's not hard! It's spelt that way, pronounce the dingdangity word right!

The deliberate mispronunciation of words is like screeching nails to me. It makes watching some shows very difficult.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #15140 on: March 02, 2014, 12:54:59 AM »
Er...I've always heard "solder" pronounced that way, by many, many different people. It's a US/UK difference, same thing with aluminum.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #15141 on: March 02, 2014, 02:06:55 AM »
Watching 'How it's made' and wincing every time they say 'sodder' instead of 'solder', or 'aluminum' instead of 'aluminum'.

Really! It's not hard! It's spelt that way, pronounce the dingdangity word right!

The deliberate mispronunciation of words is like screeching nails to me. It makes watching some shows very difficult.

Yeah agree with cabbagegirl.  That's how those words are pronounced in the US. 

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #15142 on: March 02, 2014, 02:12:55 AM »

American here. I do a lot of soldering and never use the 'L'. Not sure what you mean about 'aluminum' vs 'aluminum', unless you mean the British 'aluminium' (with a superfluous 'i' in it.) There's no 'i' at that spot in the word, so the British pronunciation is the odd one.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

perpetua

« Reply #15143 on: March 02, 2014, 03:24:31 AM »
Not sure what you mean about 'aluminum' vs 'aluminum', unless you mean the British 'aluminium' (with a superfluous 'i' in it.) There's no 'i' at that spot in the word, so the British pronunciation is the odd one.

There is in Britian. We spell it with the extra i too. It's aluminium here. So we are pronouncing it correctly according to how we spell it. (ETA: as in - there's no discrepancy between the way we spell it and the way we pronounce it, as was suggested, not that the way we pronounce it is more correct :) )

Additionally:

Two variants of the metal's name are in current use, aluminium (pronunciation: /ˌśl(j)ʊˈmɪniːəm/) and aluminum (/əˈluːmɪnəm/)óbesides the obsolete alumium. The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990 but, three years later, recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. Hence their periodic table includes both.[61] IUPAC prefers the use of aluminium in its internal publications, although nearly as many IUPAC publications use the spelling aluminum.[62]

Most countries use the spelling aluminium. In the United States and Canada, the spelling aluminum predominates.[15][63]

So, aluminium is the accepted, and aluminum is the variant. Seems it's only the US/Canada who pronounce/spell it 'aluminum'.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:29:35 AM by perpetua »

cabbageweevil

« Reply #15144 on: March 02, 2014, 07:53:14 AM »
Another Brit here: an elderly uncle of mine, now deceased, had a real "thing" about the North American "aluminum" rendering of the metal concerned.  On the whole, distinctive American ways of speaking / writing did not bother him at all; but -- while he accepted "with his head", that "aluminum" not "aluminium" was perfectly correct for the people of the US / Canada; at gut-level, he found the North American version of the word, maddening.  He couldn't explain why this particular word was such a hot button for him.

I have to admit that there's another word, about which I'm the same way.  The one which in Britain is "pernickety", but on the other side of the Atlantic is "persnickety". I find the word in itself, a fine and expressive one; but the American version with "s", annoys me intensely -- strikes me (for some, or no, reason) as babyish.  Looking at the thing objectively -- creating such a big deal about one letter, makes no sense at all.  These prejudices which we sometimes entertain about stuff of this kind, are totally irrational -- we just, bizarrely, somehow get them.

Adelaide

« Reply #15145 on: March 02, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
I hate it when men in my martial arts classes talk down to me, which happens every time we get a new group of students or some guys from the other class decide to try ours. I've lost a ton of weight and dyed my hair blonde and they all think I'm some wide-eyed college student who hasn't ever taken a hit to the face before, apparently. One guy (and I know he wasn't trying to be rude, but still) came up to me and was like "This isn't like yoga class, huh?" Other men say things like "Now, don't be afraid to kick the side of their knee" or "Be sure to yell real loud and try to startle the attacker"  Excuse you, I've been doing this twice as long as you have. Back off.

Would I ever say this out loud? No, because then I'd look petty. The most I usually muster is "Yes, I've been doing this quite awhile and I agree with you". Ugh.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #15146 on: March 02, 2014, 11:28:29 AM »
I hate it when men in my martial arts classes talk down to me, which happens every time we get a new group of students or some guys from the other class decide to try ours. I've lost a ton of weight and dyed my hair blonde and they all think I'm some wide-eyed college student who hasn't ever taken a hit to the face before, apparently. One guy (and I know he wasn't trying to be rude, but still) came up to me and was like "This isn't like yoga class, huh?" Other men say things like "Now, don't be afraid to kick the side of their knee" or "Be sure to yell real loud and try to startle the attacker"  Excuse you, I've been doing this twice as long as you have. Back off.

Would I ever say this out loud? No, because then I'd look petty. The most I usually muster is "Yes, I've been doing this quite awhile and I agree with you". Ugh.
I'd be tempted to say(at least to the "don't be afraid to kick the side of their knee") okay, want to help me practice? And then show them how capable I am. But I'm sure that is going against the philosophy of the sport.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Adelaide

« Reply #15147 on: March 02, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »

I'd be tempted to say(at least to the "don't be afraid to kick the side of their knee") okay, want to help me practice? And then show them how capable I am. But I'm sure that is going against the philosophy of the sport.

Yeah, there are several things we can't exactly practice for real because permanent disfigurement is kind of a one-off. :P

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #15148 on: March 02, 2014, 11:45:43 AM »

Yeah, there are several things we can't exactly practice for real because permanent disfigurement is kind of a one-off. :P
Do you have punching bags you practice on? Maybe if they felt the force of you kicking it as hard as you can, it would convince them you are serious?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

GreenBird

« Reply #15149 on: March 02, 2014, 12:21:43 PM »

For the "it's not like yoga class" comments, I might deliberately misinterpret them to mean that the guy is saying that he's discovering that martial arts is not like yoga.  So, maybe cheerfully say, "Oh, do you take a lot of yoga?  How do you like it?" or "Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it."