Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1858012 times)

Adelaide

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15150 on: March 02, 2014, 01:14:46 PM »
I hate it when men in my martial arts classes talk down to me, which happens every time we get a new group of students or some guys from the other class decide to try ours. I've lost a ton of weight and dyed my hair blonde and they all think I'm some wide-eyed college student who hasn't ever taken a hit to the face before, apparently. One guy (and I know he wasn't trying to be rude, but still) came up to me and was like "This isn't like yoga class, huh?" Other men say things like "Now, don't be afraid to kick the side of their knee" or "Be sure to yell real loud and try to startle the attacker"  Excuse you, I've been doing this twice as long as you have. Back off.

Would I ever say this out loud? No, because then I'd look petty. The most I usually muster is "Yes, I've been doing this quite awhile and I agree with you". Ugh.
I'd be tempted to say(at least to the "don't be afraid to kick the side of their knee") okay, want to help me practice? And then show them how capable I am. But I'm sure that is going against the philosophy of the sport.

Yeah, there are several things we can't exactly practice for real because permanent disfigurement is kind of a one-off. :P
Do you have punching bags you practice on? Maybe if they felt the force of you kicking it as hard as you can, it would convince them you are serious?

Yeah, we have a bunch of equipment and stuff but it doesn't help-even when they're like "Oh, you're strong" with the same breath they're like "Now, in the REAL world" or "On the street it'll look/sound different...." which would be really sound advice if I hadn't been doing this for years. They just assume that I'm a newbie because they haven't seen me before they got to this class and I don't do other martial arts at this particular dojo. I just hate the patronizing tone. It doesn't usually register with these guys until our instructor calls me up to demonstrate something or I outright tell them I've been at it for awhile.

<snip>

For the "it's not like yoga class" comments, I might deliberately misinterpret them to mean that the guy is saying that he's discovering that martial arts is not like yoga.  So, maybe cheerfully say, "Oh, do you take a lot of yoga?  How do you like it?" or "Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it." 

I've mentioned doing yoga before for better flexibility which is why it came up...but seriously gentlemen, don't assume ALL I do is yoga.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #15151 on: March 02, 2014, 01:18:39 PM »
Ha!  Most men I know couldn't keep up with even the most inexperienced woman in my yoga class.   We have a few men who are regulars now and they've commented on how us ladies make yoga look so easy and is so not.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

kckgirl

« Reply #15152 on: March 02, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »
Sorry, wrong thread.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:28:45 PM by kckgirl »
Maryland

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15153 on: March 02, 2014, 06:19:27 PM »
Not sure what you mean about 'aluminum' vs 'aluminum', unless you mean the British 'aluminium' (with a superfluous 'i' in it.) There's no 'i' at that spot in the word, so the British pronunciation is the odd one.

There is in Britian. We spell it with the extra i too. It's aluminium here. So we are pronouncing it correctly according to how we spell it. (ETA: as in - there's no discrepancy between the way we spell it and the way we pronounce it, as was suggested, not that the way we pronounce it is more correct :) )

Additionally:

Two variants of the metal's name are in current use, aluminium (pronunciation: /ˌśl(j)ʊˈmɪniːəm/) and aluminum (/əˈluːmɪnəm/)óbesides the obsolete alumium. The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990 but, three years later, recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. Hence their periodic table includes both.[61] IUPAC prefers the use of aluminium in its internal publications, although nearly as many IUPAC publications use the spelling aluminum.[62]

Most countries use the spelling aluminium. In the United States and Canada, the spelling aluminum predominates.[15][63]

So, aluminium is the accepted, and aluminum is the variant. Seems it's only the US/Canada who pronounce/spell it 'aluminum'.

How it's Made is produced in Canada.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15154 on: March 02, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
Just came back from a fabulous weekend away and had to pick up some food at the market I always shop at. While I was perusing the packaged sliced turkey (so many options!), my cart was just behind me and my son was across at the endcap 2 feet on the other side. As I turned to put the item in my cart, an older woman said to me "Your mother would be very upset that you left your purse in your cart" and kept looking from my purse to me.

I was flabbergasted and said, "It is a good thing she'll never know".

My mother wouldn't care. I hate it when people act like the cart is an extension of their body, and hate to block off an area with the cart when the store is busy, like it was today.  ??? ::) :o

Hillia

« Reply #15155 on: March 02, 2014, 06:52:02 PM »
I agree it's none of her business, but I had my wallet stolen from a cart when I stepped forward to get something off the shelf in front of me.  I admit, I do notice unattended purses/wallets a lot more often now.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15156 on: March 02, 2014, 06:54:18 PM »
I had my wallet, it was the giant bag that was in the cart.

CuriousParty

« Reply #15157 on: March 02, 2014, 07:17:27 PM »
Full, clean dishwashers, especially when accompanied as they so often are by their close cousins - full, dirty sinks.

Grrrrrr

fountainof

« Reply #15158 on: March 03, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »
On the topic of words.  The way foyer is pronounced on all my American programming bothers me greatly.  I think it should be pronounced as a French word, since it is.  The saying of "Foy-yer" bugs me to no end.  If you don't want to pronounce it as a French word I think why don't just use a different word like landing or entrance way instead of Anglicizing a French word.  You don't have to have to be a francophone to say Foy-yay as it is a pretty easy word to say without an accent.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15159 on: March 03, 2014, 02:37:26 PM »
When some shows announce "Next season will be up early 2014" then once we get to late February the announcement comes out that the new season doesn't start till JUNE! 

Orange Is The New Black, I'm looking at you!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Alli8098

« Reply #15160 on: March 03, 2014, 04:07:31 PM »
When some shows announce "Next season will be up early 2014" then once we get to late February the announcement comes out that the new season doesn't start till JUNE! 

Orange Is The New Black, I'm looking at you!

A long those same lines Kitchen Nightmares was supposed to start on Feb 28th.  For undisclosed reasons and with very little announcement it has been postponed without (the last I could find anyway) a new date for premier.  Might have something to do with our favorite bi-polar couple at Amy's Baking Company as the season premier episode was slated for a kind of revisit/part 2 of the establishment.  But no one has said for sure, and it annoyed me to no end on Friday night.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15161 on: March 03, 2014, 05:07:52 PM »
When SIL and her DH visit, they know that the kitchen is an open zone.  Basically, if they want a drink or a snack, they just go and get their own.

The only problem is that we have two places where glassware is stored.  One is an easily accessible cabinet over the sink.  That's where we keep the stuff we use every day.  The other is a higher cabinet over the pantry cabinet that stores things we don't use all that often.  SIL will always go to the second cabinet when she wants a drink. 

I can understand this because SIL keeps her basic glassware in a similar place.  It also isn't that she disdains the Anchor Hocking stuff in favor of Waterford crystal.  The only fancy thing we have is a Simor Pearce brandy sniffer Mr. Thipu received as a gift from his parents and SIL never touches that. 

I know this is a tiny quibble but it is a bit odd. 

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #15162 on: March 03, 2014, 06:13:32 PM »
My sister in law seems to think it's funny to pretend she's oblivious about my soap making.  She asked me for a Christmas wish list last year, and I gave her a link to my wish list at the place where I buy my soap making supplies.  She replied back with "Oh, do you make soap?  I had no idea!  Heehee!".  She came over to our house last month for dinner, and made some comment about "I hope you have some soap in the bathroom; I know that's not really your thing!".  Saw her Saturday for a birthday party and she said something like, "Oh, that's right, you make soap!  I'd forgotten!".  I posted a facebook status yesterday that I had some soap up for sale on etsy and her comment was "Cool, so you enjoy making soap, huh?  Imagine that!".  >:( Funny the first time, but now it's getting old!  I know I talk about it a lot, but you can just tell me to shut up, instead of making faux-funny comments about my hobby/business. >:(

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #15163 on: March 03, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »
I would tell her, "I don't know what you're playing at, but you need to stop. You know that this is a hobby I spend a lot of time doing."

Vita brevis, ars longa

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #15164 on: March 03, 2014, 10:29:37 PM »
My sister in law seems to think it's funny to pretend she's oblivious about my soap making.  She asked me for a Christmas wish list last year, and I gave her a link to my wish list at the place where I buy my soap making supplies.  She replied back with "Oh, do you make soap?  I had no idea!  Heehee!".  She came over to our house last month for dinner, and made some comment about "I hope you have some soap in the bathroom; I know that's not really your thing!".  Saw her Saturday for a birthday party and she said something like, "Oh, that's right, you make soap!  I'd forgotten!".  I posted a facebook status yesterday that I had some soap up for sale on etsy and her comment was "Cool, so you enjoy making soap, huh?  Imagine that!".  >:( Funny the first time, but now it's getting old!  I know I talk about it a lot, but you can just tell me to shut up, instead of making faux-funny comments about my hobby/business. >:(

I'd ask her once to knock it off because it's not funny anymore, and if that doesn't work, the next time she makes one of those "oh, you make soap, I didn't know that" ask her if she's having other memory problems. And then maybe switch to "Oh. Right. You're one of those people who think repeating something over and over makes it funny."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.