Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1707508 times)

zinzin

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15165 on: March 03, 2014, 11:15:01 PM »
Watching 'How it's made' and wincing every time they say 'sodder' instead of 'solder', or 'aluminum' instead of 'aluminum'.

Really! It's not hard! It's spelt that way, pronounce the dingdangity word right!

The deliberate mispronunciation of words is like screeching nails to me. It makes watching some shows very difficult.

How it's Made is a Canadian show - they are pronouncing those the way many Canadians do. Although I have to say I've never heard the l pronounced in "solder" even in the US.

I wince when people say "niche" as "nitch" or "clique" as "click" but I've learned to accept that it is how it's said in many parts of the US.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:18:29 PM by zinzin »

GreenHall

« Reply #15166 on: March 04, 2014, 08:20:01 AM »

How it's Made is a Canadian show - they are pronouncing those the way many Canadians do. Although I have to say I've never heard the l pronounced in "solder" even in the US.

I wince when people say "niche" as "nitch" or "clique" as "click" but I've learned to accept that it is how it's said in many parts of the US.

...so how do you pronounce those?  Not sure if it will change my pronunciation, but I'd at least know what it ought to be.  I now just avoid the word 'forte' since I learned that 'x-skill is not my forte' should be pronounced 'fort' - but the rest of the world knows it as for-tay, like in music, so I look wrong when I pronounce it correctly...

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #15167 on: March 04, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »

...so how do you pronounce those?  Not sure if it will change my pronunciation, but I'd at least know what it ought to be.  I now just avoid the word 'forte' since I learned that 'x-skill is not my forte' should be pronounced 'fort' - but the rest of the world knows it as for-tay, like in music, so I look wrong when I pronounce it correctly...

"Niche", I believe, is neesh.  As for "clique", the only thing that makes sense is cleek, but the art of my brain that understands language is arguing over the part that controls verbalization over that one.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #15168 on: March 04, 2014, 08:25:30 AM »

Presumably that depends where you are too? I'm in the UK, and I pronounce niche as 'neesh' and clique as 'cleek', French style in both cases, but over here, forte is always 2 syllables, I think. I've never heard anybody say 'that's not my fort'.

Bad enough having people say 'click' for 'clique, but I've seen it written as well. Makes me shudder.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15169 on: March 04, 2014, 10:40:21 AM »
I'm on the East coast of the US and always heard it as "Click" and "Neesh". 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Xandraea

« Reply #15170 on: March 04, 2014, 10:43:36 AM »

I've only ever heard it said "forte" as "for-tay" as in French. I looked it up: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/forte
"Traditionally, forte (“strength, talent”) was a one-syllable word, like its French etymon. Perhaps due to confusion with forte (“loudly”), a two-syllable pronunciation also came into common use. Both pronunciations are now standard.[1]"

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/niche  has audio files, three from the US, pronouncing "niche" three different ways. It originally was a french word, and I personally prefer the french pronunciation.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/clique
"clique" is also from French, and should be "cleek", but as with many words, the proper pronunciation has been muddied by common usage in some areas.

Another word that bugs me is "suite". It's "sweet". I'd only ever heard it that way until I lived in the south for a while, and kept hearing talk about "bedroom suits" (That's how it was pronounced.)  I looked it up once and apparently when talking about bedroom furnishings, saying "Suite" as "suit" is also considered correct. Still bugs me though! http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/suite

Carotte

« Reply #15171 on: March 04, 2014, 10:57:48 AM »
I had never heard the 'nitch' for niche, now I'll know that if it happens it's not someone talking about Nietzsche the philosopher  ;)
But in the context it wouldn't register between click and cleek, they sound the same to me.

Hillia

« Reply #15172 on: March 04, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
This reminds me of a conversation with DH's cousin, who kept insisting that Albert Speer wrote Inside the Third Ritch.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15173 on: March 04, 2014, 11:17:08 AM »
This reminds me of a conversation with DH's cousin, who kept insisting that Albert Speer wrote Inside the Third Ritch.

Arghhhhh!  :o

zinzin

« Reply #15174 on: March 04, 2014, 04:23:16 PM »

Presumably that depends where you are too? I'm in the UK, and I pronounce niche as 'neesh' and clique as 'cleek', French style in both cases, but over here, forte is always 2 syllables, I think. I've never heard anybody say 'that's not my fort'.

Bad enough having people say 'click' for 'clique, but I've seen it written as well. Makes me shudder.

Yeppers, I'm used to "neesh" (rhymes with "sheesh") and "cleek" in a french manner.

mrkitty

« Reply #15175 on: March 04, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »

I have the same trouble with the word "foyer".

I'm from the west coast, and I've always heard it pronounced "foy-yay". Now that I live on the east coast, everyone I run into seems to say "foy-yer."

It hurts my ears.

Yeppers, I'm used to "neesh" (rhymes with "sheesh") and "cleek" in a french manner.
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #15176 on: March 04, 2014, 07:17:58 PM »
Another word that bugs me is "suite". It's "sweet". I'd only ever heard it that way until I lived in the south for a while, and kept hearing talk about "bedroom suits" (That's how it was pronounced.)  I looked it up once and apparently when talking about bedroom furnishings, saying "Suite" as "suit" is also considered correct. Still bugs me though! http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/suite

Yet further confusing the heck out of matters, just for fun or to annoy  – a “multilingual confusion / pupil’s howler”  thing, which I remember from school.  In French class:  the French phrase “Une longue suite d’années passées”:  meaning  “A long sequence of years that have gone by”.  Interpreted by a not very talented pupil, as:  “A lounge suit [“smart-casual” apparel]  that has seen better days”.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #15177 on: March 05, 2014, 01:00:24 PM »

Same here - and I grew up in Phoenix, Arizona in the US.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #15178 on: March 05, 2014, 05:12:25 PM »
Setting up DirecTV Genie boxes... >:( At least customer service was polite and helpful, but good grief!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #15179 on: March 05, 2014, 06:21:27 PM »
Setting up DirecTV Genie boxes... >:( At least customer service was polite and helpful, but good grief!

Why didn't the technician do it for your?  I just got 4 of them and the tech stayed until they were all set up and working properly