Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1547556 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15210 on: March 07, 2014, 01:59:22 PM »
When people get annoyed that I made my lunch how I like it and not how they like it.

I made up some tuna salad for myself to take to work, as I've been brown bagging it lately.  I had a little left over and put it in the fridge, announcing that it was up for grabs.

FIL complained that I put something he didn't like in it.  Well, you know what?  Make your own darn tuna salad then.  I happen to like pickles.

It's time to bring in Dr. Frank-N-Furter: "I didn't make it for YOU!"
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15211 on: March 07, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »
When potential employers promise they will call within a certain period of time after a phone interview and they don't.  I know people get busy but even just calling to give a rejection would be fine.  Good thing I don't hinge all my hopes on one job I've applied for.  :)

My FIL has been out of work for 13 months and had many phone interviews with no call backs. Finally, he had a call back today! And he is going to be flown in for the interview, more of a formality as there are no other candidates.

Good luck to you!

Alli8098

« Reply #15212 on: March 07, 2014, 02:58:58 PM »
When potential employers promise they will call within a certain period of time after a phone interview and they don't.  I know people get busy but even just calling to give a rejection would be fine.  Good thing I don't hinge all my hopes on one job I've applied for.  :)

My FIL has been out of work for 13 months and had many phone interviews with no call backs. Finally, he had a call back today! And he is going to be flown in for the interview, more of a formality as there are no other candidates.

Good luck to you!

Thank you, and good luck to FIL!

I did get a call today for a pre-screen (not a phone interview) for a position I applied to earlier this week.  And I applied for my old position at my old company I left 5 years ago and just finished replying to an email sent by the recruiter in response to my application.  So we'll see if those lead anywhere at all.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #15213 on: March 07, 2014, 03:41:10 PM »
The Daily Express front page news.

It is usually:

The weather*
Missing girl Madalaine McCann**
Princess Diana***

* The weather - for the past four months we've been warned of horrific storms bringing rain, hailstones the size of footballs and snow.  We've had pictures of 20ft high waves (exaggeration) and more warnings of worse to come.  And now this week we're being "warned" that "SOME parts of the UK may experience 20 degree weather". So? It's 20 degrees not 30.  yes, it's considerably warm for the time of year but that still does not warrant sensationalist headlines.

**In no way am I downplaying whatever has happened to this poor little girl.  But really, two or three times weekly to basically relay the same story with few new facts? What is the point?!

***She's dead.  Leave her alone.

Points taken; but in comparison with the sheer nastiness of a couple of this journal's British-daily competitors, I tend to find rather soothing, the very inanity of the things that the "Express" tends to obsess about.

There comes to mind, in a kind-of-related way, a feature a long time ago in the British comical magazine Punch, titled "a newspaper for newspaper addicts" -- basically a mock-up of the front page of a tabloid newspaper which was fixated on itself and its own doings, rather at the expense of actual news.  The front page was all about the paper's triumph with its highest-ever sales figure for a day, plus assorted oddments all about the paper itself.  In a small box at the bottom of the page, was "Other News" -- in brief "bytes", as follows.  "World War III has broken out between the two superpowers."  "The Queen of England has abdicated in favour of the Stuart claimant to the throne."  And something else pretty earth-shaking, which I forget.  And, "[the -- for that time -- British equivalent of Justin Bieber] is to marry."

To be fair, I don't read newspapers.  Ever.  I haven't bought a newspaper for years! I simply walk past and see the front page and think "Oh they're at it again!"  ;D

Oh, yes, I'm with you there -- in fact, for me as regards current affairs from any source.  IMO the ostrich is a wiser and happier bird, than popular belief gives it credit for: I try to emulate it.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #15214 on: March 07, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
People who shout when they're on the phone. The phone acts as a microphone. There is no need to scream.

Bonus: She sits right next to me at work.  >:(
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #15215 on: March 07, 2014, 03:49:16 PM »
People who shout when they're on the phone. The phone acts as a microphone. There is no need to scream.

On cell phones, there's a psychological reason for this:  a standard landline echoes your voice back at you slightly, a cell phone does not.  :)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #15216 on: March 07, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »

I actually had someone argue that there was not a microphone inside of a cell phone and that's why they needed to shout.   What I thought about doing was taking said phone and shoving it...somewhere.  What I did was take the phone and turn up the volume to the max so that they could hear.  The very next comment was..."Gosh, why are you so loud.  I can hear you know" 

I went into a corner to weep at that point

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #15217 on: March 07, 2014, 06:04:55 PM »

On cell phones, there's a psychological reason for this:  a standard landline echoes your voice back at you slightly, a cell phone does not.  :)

This is a regular old landline phone at work, though she's just as loud on her cell.
Given some of her other noise-related habits, I'm inclined to think that she's losing her hearing - but she could just be completely oblivious.  :-\
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15218 on: March 07, 2014, 10:02:45 PM »

Then these idiots have to learn it isn't necessary.  The rest of us are really annoyed at being captive audiences to stuff of theirs that they should consider private.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #15219 on: March 08, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »

This is a regular old landline phone at work, though she's just as loud on her cell.
Given some of her other noise-related habits, I'm inclined to think that she's losing her hearing - but she could just be completely oblivious.  :-\

That could be my mom. Doesn't matter what kind of phone, she automatically goes up to 11. Granted, she is starting to lose her hearing now, but she has done this as far back as I remember.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15220 on: March 09, 2014, 08:04:20 PM »
Missing out on some good discussion in a group because the person who's supposed to show up for the nursery at 9 doesn't show. Grr. 

Most people do it on a volunteer basis, but we did hire a young woman to be there at 9 and recently she's been flaky so I've been missing out on the bible study.  And when I have gone, there's not enough people to really hold the discussion. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15221 on: March 09, 2014, 08:22:18 PM »
I threw my back out again. While adjusting a chair. It just isn't staying better, and I am frustrated.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #15222 on: March 10, 2014, 08:45:02 AM »
My DH.  We received a wedding invitation from his brother 2 weeks ago.  We cannot make the wedding as we are on a Cruise that has already been booked and paid for.  He still hasn't responded or called his brother!!! I refuse to nag him any more.  ???

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15223 on: March 10, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »
My DH.  We received a wedding invitation from his brother 2 weeks ago.  We cannot make the wedding as we are on a Cruise that has already been booked and paid for.  He still hasn't responded or called his brother!!! I refuse to nag him any more.  ???

Why don't you do it? The invitation is to both of you, even if it is his family. Easier than nagging.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #15224 on: March 10, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
I don't know his brother's phone number otherwise I would.  :-[ 
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.