News:

• February 22, 2018, 03:29:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5019134 times)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15270 on: March 14, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »
My boss.

He's gone from totally ignoring my existence for 2 years to making me his 'right hand girl' since one of my colleagues left.  Now, don't get me wrong, I'd rather be busy than twiddling my thumbs all day, so this is good.

However...

First week of this 'flavour of the month' deal - Thursday morning.  "I need xyz - it's urgent - two week time frame - have it to me by Wednesday next week." 

Dude, make up your mind.  Is it urgent?  Is it due in two weeks?  Or do I indeed have to have it done by Wednesday, ie 3.5 working days away?

Then it changes from data comparison to a business case...  no problem, that's what you'll get.  However if the document needs any consultations, it may take longer.  Because everyone else has their priorities, which may not mesh with yours and mine, so don't expect them to be at my beck and call, ok?  Not to mention that the issue under discussion crosses several Acts, enterprise bargaining and wage agreements, has complex legal and financial ramifications for the organisation, and generally would normally be something that should take a couple of months to do properly.

All to prove to a couple of interstate consultants that doing A isn't a viable option for our organisation, and that we're better off sticking with B...

Yes, he got it on Wednesday at around 10am, albeit with a few caveats thrown in!

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

Dr. F.

« Reply #15271 on: March 14, 2014, 06:39:13 PM »
Grocery stores (yes, I'm looking at you, Target!) that put 2 liter bottles of pop* on the very top shelf where I can barely reach them with my 5'2" self, and then I'm trying to deal with handling a heavyish bottle well over my head, after shoving the bottom off kilter so that I can grab the top. The whole thing is very precarious. Of course, there's never a staff member around, so I end up relying on passers-by to help me grab the stupid things.

Despite the prices, I end up buying bottles of pop at other stores.

*Yes, I am from the midwest.

Octavia

« Reply #15272 on: March 14, 2014, 06:44:31 PM »
Vendors I work with who call & leave messages on my land line & mobile phone, send e-mails, and send instant messages & text messages on the same issue over a space of a few hours. Followed by an escalation to my supervisor and two more rungs up the corporate ladder. When it is not an urgent situation by any stretch of the imagination. They just want what they want right now. Unbelievably, a stern reminder about how to respect the client fell on deaf ears. Which resulted in me having to complain to the antagonist's supervisor. Amazingly after said vendor's supervisor told his employee to stand down, the pest called me yet again and left a message complaining that I really did not understand and I need to call him right away to sort this out. Ummmm, no.  ???
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Arila

« Reply #15273 on: March 14, 2014, 06:53:04 PM »
It's an emergency, and you need to deal with this right now! I have attached the email chain with the history! We need it all done tomorrow!

I read the email chain.

They knew about the problem 4 months ago. I am finding out today.

I wish I could say this only happens once or twice, but it happens ALL. THE. TIME.

Octavia

« Reply #15274 on: March 14, 2014, 06:59:57 PM »
It's an emergency, and you need to deal with this right now! I have attached the email chain with the history! We need it all done tomorrow!

I read the email chain.

I wish I could say this only happens once or twice, but it happens ALL. THE. TIME.
That's so true and so frustrating!
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

PastryGoddess

« Reply #15275 on: March 14, 2014, 07:11:03 PM »

I read the email chain.

Hi Coworker

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15276 on: March 15, 2014, 06:38:00 AM »
Grocery stores (yes, I'm looking at you, Target!) that put 2 liter bottles of pop* on the very top shelf where I can barely reach them with my 5'2" self, and then I'm trying to deal with handling a heavyish bottle well over my head, after shoving the bottom off kilter so that I can grab the top. The whole thing is very precarious. Of course, there's never a staff member around, so I end up relying on passers-by to help me grab the stupid things.

Same problem here in NYC.  Anything that's on a high shelf and no easy way to get it down.

I hate asking other people to help me and often there are no store personnel to get the items for me (or anyone else under 6 feet tall).  A few stores have taken to leaving step ladders in the aisles and that has Accident Waiting to Happen written all over it.

jaxsue

« Reply #15277 on: March 15, 2014, 12:38:55 PM »

I'm 5'7" and get asked to get things from higher shelves quite often. I used to buy pop. Now I buy soda. (midwestern native here)  :)

HoneyBee42

« Reply #15278 on: March 15, 2014, 03:12:52 PM »
Timid or panicky drivers. I was behind one this morning, and I would swear she stepped on her brake pedal at least once every 5 seconds, with no cars in front of her, plenty of space behind her, and on a straight road.

That would make me nuts too.  I rode with someone years ago, only a couple years older than me who would at times drive 20 miles below the speed limit when there was no good reason to and it was truly unsafe to be going that slowly but she refused to even go the speed limit.  If you're that timid about driving,  you shouldn't be.

Yes, I was on a road where the speed limit starts at 30, and then after about a half mile ups to 35, and then a quarter mile after that comes up to 40.  I'm on this road for about 2 miles to get to work.  The interchange where I turn onto the road is a major one (if I continued straight instead of turning, I'd be headed for the interstate, there is also a lot of traffic coming in the same direction I end up traveling, but there's a traffic light at that corner, all other intersections are 2-way stops and this road is non-stopping until another half mile past my turn off point).

About a quarter mile past the interchange, a truck for a business (and I mean more like just a really large van like the Scooby-mobile) pulls out ahead of me.  And proceeds to drive almost exactly 10mph below the speed limit except for one point where he inexplicably slowed to 20 in the 40 zone.  The traffic that was at a red light when I turned onto the street (continuing so that they were now following me) caught up to us even though we were all the way to the 35 zone before their light turned green.  He had traffic stacked up for three quarters of a mile behind him because he was driving so slowly (and unfortunately, no real safe spots to pass unless there's no oncoming traffic, and there's pretty much never no oncoming traffic).

Driving slowly for no apparent reason is *not* being safer.  Yes, slow down when conditions warrant, but standard daylight and dry roads do not describe the conditions that warrant driving slowly. 

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #15279 on: March 15, 2014, 03:38:04 PM »
Last evening I had the misfortune of coming across a young female driver who was, while driving:

Applying makeup
Brushing her hair
Talking on her handheld phone
Smoking a cigarette

No, she did not accomplish the whole driving portion very well.  ???
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Alli8098

« Reply #15280 on: March 15, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »
Not so much about bad or overly cautious drivers but how the speed limit is set on main street here.  There is one section where it suddenly goes from 40mph to 25mph.  There is no block or two they give to slowly go down in speed, just an abrupt change in the speed limit.

ladyknight1

« Reply #15281 on: March 15, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »
I absolutely understand why people love their pets. And small dogs are allowed at my complex.

However, this dog barks constantly and loudly. His owners do nothing to help with that fact. He barks if someone is outside, if someone drives by, incessantly. Ugh.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Mental Magpie

« Reply #15282 on: March 15, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »
People who won't make an effort then want you to rearrange your schedule to suit them.  No, I will not be waking up earlier just so you can get X first thing in the morning when you are making absolutely no effort to get X on your own otherwise.

ladyknight1

« Reply #15283 on: March 15, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »
Yes, my perfectly able aunt and uncle who choose not to drive to visit us, even though they are retired and can afford to travel whenever they want. We no longer do the one way relationship.
-J.R.R Tolkien

andi

« Reply #15284 on: March 15, 2014, 07:10:12 PM »
Red Box games that won't work when you get them home. I know I can get a refund but now I have a very disappointed child (renting the game was a reward for good behavior all week at school) and it's pouring rain - not in the mood to go return and look for a new one.