News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 03:24:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 4514542 times)

lilfox

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15285 on: March 16, 2014, 05:50:36 AM »
The current onslaught of "Like if you remember this!!" pics going around Facebook. I have one friend in particular who appears to remember them all.  One or two are cute, but there are the ones with grievous typos ("you know your old if you had one of these") and the ones featuring items that, while no longer popular, are still in use today.

Also, FB friends who post graphic images of animal cruelty. I don't want those popping up in my feed!

nayberry

« Reply #15286 on: March 16, 2014, 09:23:13 AM »
The current onslaught of "Like if you remember this!!" pics going around Facebook. I have one friend in particular who appears to remember them all.  One or two are cute, but there are the ones with grievous typos ("you know your old if you had one of these") and the ones featuring items that, while no longer popular, are still in use today.

Also, FB friends who post graphic images of animal cruelty. I don't want those popping up in my feed!

pod,  i ended up reporting a picture in a group because a woman was arguing about abortion and that anyone who agrees was a monster and should see what they destroy.  she'd found a pic which was actually a model from a film but she didn't understand that.....
baby berry arrived june 2016

alkira6

« Reply #15287 on: March 16, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »
A former coworker one time came in raving about her new WonderBra.  It was so magnificent that every woman should wear one, no other bras ever needed to be sold.  It gave her clevage, etc.......

I looked from her 32A's to my 38D's and said: "If I wore one, I'd suffocate."  >:D

She had truly never considered that some of us have had a few extra whacks from the b00b fairy & don't want or need pushup, padded make the most of what you have bras.

And those of us who are really large, like my 48DDD, would also be blind because our view is being blocked.

At my largest I was a 40 F. While bra shopping with my mother and sister they kept making fun of my full coverage/minimizer bras. I finally put on a padded balconette and showed them what my V-necked shirts looked like with that type of bra.  They stopped pushing really quickly after that.

Allyson

« Reply #15288 on: March 16, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »
While we're complaining about Facebook memes I'd like to register my dislike of the one that starts "I wasn't just born, I was *raised*" and then goes on to talk about how the poster is a wonderful example of humanity whereas kids these days just are terrible people who don't open doors for old ladies (there are a few versions of this one.) So many things wrong with this; first, older generations have been convinced the younger are driving the world to destruction for about two thousand years. Also people who weren't 'raised right' don't actually have any say in the matter about having neglectful parents, so talking about how you're better than them isn't too cool.

gmatoy

« Reply #15289 on: March 16, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »
While we're complaining about Facebook memes I'd like to register my dislike of the one that starts "I wasn't just born, I was *raised*" and then goes on to talk about how the poster is a wonderful example of humanity whereas kids these days just are terrible people who don't open doors for old ladies (there are a few versions of this one.) So many things wrong with this; first, older generations have been convinced the younger are driving the world to destruction for about two thousand years. Also people who weren't 'raised right' don't actually have any say in the matter about having neglectful parents, so talking about how you're better than them isn't too cool.

I agree with what you said and just want to add that several people I know weren't "raised right" and have developed into wonderful, kind, helpful people!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #15290 on: March 16, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »
itunes. they keep changing it, "upgrading" and while I admit I haven't been it in recently, it really shouldn't take me as long as it did to FIND all my music, FINE my playlists, create a new one, and burn to a CD. It just shouldn't. Its way too complicated for me. And I am very computer literate. Grrrr. Why can't they just leave it alone, and keep it simple?

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #15291 on: March 16, 2014, 03:18:02 PM »

I don't like those either, especially the ones that imply that the reason they're a good person is because their parents weren't afraid to "whoop my rear end".
I agree with what you said and just want to add that several people I know weren't "raised right" and have developed into wonderful, kind, helpful people!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #15292 on: March 16, 2014, 03:18:30 PM »
Lateness.  Consistent lateness, last-minute changes of plans, and the expectation that we will just go with the flow.  My uncle blames it on the kids now, but this has always been a thing. 

Yesterday my uncle was having work done on the house, and they didn't want the kids (2 and 4 years old) getting underfoot and possibly getting hurt, so he asked my mom if the kids could come over here for the day.  My mom checked, double checked, and triple checked what time they would be over, and each time he said 10 AM.  So, we all got up earlier than we had to in order to make sure that things were all set, my mom was in a lot of pain with her broken arm, and we get a call saying that they were going to be late.  I expected that, and bit my tongue to keep from saying 'I told you so'.  They finally got here at around 11:30, and my grandmother also came over with them 'to help'.  She spent most of the time knitting or reading magazines, but she's 78, so she gets a bit of a pass.  I think she really just came to visit, which was fine.

My grandmother tried to change the 2-year-old's dirty pull-up on the couch, and when my mom asked her not to, she moved to my dad's armchair instead.  My mom was distracted because the 4-year-old was having a tantrum, so by the time she noticed it was too late to stop my grandmother.  (She just didn't tell my dad...)  Why couldn't she change the kid on the floor?  ???

My uncle was close to two hours late picking them up, and got annoyed with my mom for saying that she didn't know if she could do the same thing next month (There is more work to be done, and that is how he is apparently spacing it out), because it's my dad's guitar night.  So, my mom didn't get so much as a thank-you from him, though she did get one from my grandmother.

In short, if we're going to give up our weekend, at least have the decency to be on time.  >:(
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 03:25:31 PM by CrochetFanatic »

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #15293 on: March 16, 2014, 03:53:19 PM »

Somebody I know is always posting graphic pics like that. When another friend asked them to hide the preview images so that you would have to click on the link to view them, the self styled animal rights activist exploded, saying that my friend didn't really care about the animals at all, and that she was generally a bad person for not being willing to view the abuse pics. FWIW, my friend was complaining about an image showing a dog that ended up involved in a domestic dispute and had a knife sticking out of its head.

I also hate those glurge images meant to show support for cancer patients or whoever, with phrases like "99% of you will think you're too cool to repost this, repost it to prove you care!"
I HATE these. I hate the emotional blackmailing/shaming, and I hate being told what to post. My answer "I won't be reposting this. Not because I'm 'too cool', but because I don't clutter up my feed with emotional blackmail and slacktivism."

I also hate the pro-spanking ones, suggesting that spanking is the sole reason why the poster is a decent human being.
I'll add another to the list- images depicting people posing with dead animals or allegedly doing bad things to animals, with demands that the perpetrators be "hunted down" or the like. There's no info on these pics, no date or location. So for all the posters know, the image could have been staged or faked, or it could have taken place years ago.
I also hate seeing images of horrifically injured children with posts like "The parents can't afford the operation needed to save this child's life (We're talking acute trauma here like impaling injuries) so please share/like this pic, because facebook/Bill Gates/whoever will donate money for each share/like." Funny, I can't think of a single hospital that withholds lifesaving emergency surgery until a pic gets shared around on facebook enough times!
And now, for the last addition to my list- those pics of seriously ill babies being shared around with "1 like equals a prayer, type Amen to pray for this baby!"
One, prayer doesn't work like that! And two, I don't like these for the same reason I don't like those "justice for animal abusers" pics- there's no info saying how old these pics are, for all we know an image we're being asked to pray over could have been making the internet rounds for years, and for all we know, that baby could be a happy pre-schooler by now, or could have died weeks/months/years ago.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #15294 on: March 16, 2014, 08:14:50 PM »
My FIL is relocating across the country, which is requiring some major decisions and prioritizing.

My MIL has decided for him that he will be taking PTO over a major holiday just after his 90 day probation is over. No consideration that new employer may not allow him off, MIL is already making plans for that time. I am playing Devil's advocate, reminding them to wait until they know for certain before making plans that can't be canceled.

Another frustration here is MIL deciding that my DH would go with her on a week long driving trip to take belongings up to FIL, while stopping in multiple states to visit her family. She never asked DH to go, just made the decision. He decided that he will not be going.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #15295 on: March 17, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »
Lateness.  Consistent lateness, last-minute changes of plans, and the expectation that we will just go with the flow.  My uncle blames it on the kids now, but this has always been a thing. 

Yesterday my uncle was having work done on the house, and they didn't want the kids (2 and 4 years old) getting underfoot and possibly getting hurt, so he asked my mom if the kids could come over here for the day.  My mom checked, double checked, and triple checked what time they would be over, and each time he said 10 AM.  So, we all got up earlier than we had to in order to make sure that things were all set, my mom was in a lot of pain with her broken arm, and we get a call saying that they were going to be late.  I expected that, and bit my tongue to keep from saying 'I told you so'.  They finally got here at around 11:30, and my grandmother also came over with them 'to help'.  She spent most of the time knitting or reading magazines, but she's 78, so she gets a bit of a pass.  I think she really just came to visit, which was fine.

My grandmother tried to change the 2-year-old's dirty pull-up on the couch, and when my mom asked her not to, she moved to my dad's armchair instead.  My mom was distracted because the 4-year-old was having a tantrum, so by the time she noticed it was too late to stop my grandmother.  (She just didn't tell my dad...)  Why couldn't she change the kid on the floor?  ???

My uncle was close to two hours late picking them up, and got annoyed with my mom for saying that she didn't know if she could do the same thing next month (There is more work to be done, and that is how he is apparently spacing it out), because it's my dad's guitar night.  So, my mom didn't get so much as a thank-you from him, though she did get one from my grandmother.

In short, if we're going to give up our weekend, at least have the decency to be on time.  >:(

You have my sympathy.  While I can be flexible, I really do prefer for people to be considerate about my time.  My brother is like that and he blames it on our upbringing, and as he still lives with our folks for now he's still subscribing to their way of thinking that social obligations don't require you to be on time.  The only time he's been on time for something we planned was for my  youngest child's baptism. Aside from that we can usually expect them to show up at least an hour late.

Knowing this, we don't make many time-sensitive plans with them but I also won't keep our youngest awake till they arrive if he needs a nap and they're cool with that.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Twik

« Reply #15296 on: March 17, 2014, 01:50:31 PM »
I'm sorry you ended up feeling that way.  I have never misrepresented my intelligence for the sake of any man's weak ego.

You are very fortunate that you either have had a very strong ego to begin with, or you had excellent support during your formative years.

Not everyone has that advantage.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #15297 on: March 17, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »
I'll never forget the day I was sent home because I had my legs uncrossed and was talking to a boy who was of a different ethnicity. I received a lecture at school and at home. I never understood that I was supposed to only talk to people who looked like me.

I was 7.

My parents wanted me to be a "nice girl" and conform.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15298 on: March 17, 2014, 02:22:55 PM »
I'm sorry you ended up feeling that way.  I have never misrepresented my intelligence for the sake of any man's weak ego.

You are very fortunate that you either have had a very strong ego to begin with, or you had excellent support during your formative years.

Not everyone has that advantage.

I wish you were right about that.  I've had a strong ego about my intelligence, but not anything else.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #15299 on: March 18, 2014, 08:12:51 AM »
I'm seriously ready to scream or cry or both. I've been trying to apply for health insurance through our state's website and it's been a headache and a half because the people on the help line don't seem to know any more about the process than I do, and I went through a broker and he ran into brick walls as well.

He apologized for not being able to help and suggested I call the health department or SS because they could help me better than he has been able to and so I tried calling them.  SS didn't even have an option on their menu for that nor one to talk to someone about something different. Health department directed me to a department by phone with people to help me through the process.

I was greeted with instructions to call an 1-800 number then disconnected after saying don't leave a message...right before an instruction to leave a message. *banging head*

I'm about to go up there and see what can happen in person.