Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1643473 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15435 on: March 26, 2014, 09:28:21 AM »
My mother constantly gripes about things that she doesn't like about herself, like her hair and her weight. She'll complain, for instance, that she hates how her hair won't lie down and always gets wavy when it's humid. When I ask her what product she's putting into her hair, she says "None, I just run a flat iron over it." At which point I'll say "Well, you're going to have to put product in it for it to stay the way you want." At which point she always either a) dismisses my claim as false, by basically saying her special hair can't be tamed like that or b) admits that I'm right, but that it's too much "work". Well, if you put the time into your hair that you did complaining you'd probably get things under control. She also likes to gripe about how she can't lose any more weight. I told her that she needs to ratchet up the intensity on her exercise or eat fewer calories. That she needs to change something. But of course I'm her daughter, so I can't be right about anything, never mind that I've been working out with the military for a year and have dropped a ton of weight.  ::)

My parents don't listen to anything their daughters say either. Even when we have experience with the subject.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15436 on: March 26, 2014, 09:34:49 AM »
My priest once told us that an uncle told her as she was headed home that it didn't matter what she knew or how many degrees she had, when she went home she'd be 5 years old again and know nothing about the world. She said it with humor, but it's certainly true.

Course maybe it's the parents way of getting back at us for thinking we know it all in our preteen-teen years.

My middle child went to a sleepover on Saturday night where the birthday boy had shown him something horrifying, some manga slide show story about a woman who walked around after her own suicide or something. I'd seen what he was talking about so I can appreciate how it would bother him.

Anyway he didn't sleep well at the party so that afternoon he came home from playing at another friend's house and fell asleep on the sofa but he later absolutely REFUSED to admit he'd been sleeping.  Mind you, he was OUT like a light but he insisted he hadn't been sleeping.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15437 on: March 26, 2014, 09:40:48 AM »
There is a quote that I take to heart when I realize I am not respected by my parents.

Mark 6:4 - Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not honored in his hometown. He doesn't receive any honor among his relatives. And he doesn't receive any in his own home."

It gives me comfort.

Only three more weeks of classes, and I am suddenly getting friction from my boss about the two classes I have during my work week. I haven't missed a class yet this semester and I am not going to start now!

poundcake

« Reply #15438 on: March 26, 2014, 09:42:35 AM »
I can almost see the "I'm allergic to apples!" response as something like "I'm bummed I can't ask about the recipe from you, because I'm allergic to apples!" But there is no excuse for just posting "Yuck!" in response to someone else. One of my friends is vegan, and we will occasionally post responses to each other's food things with faux-outrage, but never, ever would either of us dream of disparaging the other's food choices with "Yuck!"

My little annoying thing is the cousin who is constantly posting FB glurge about how family is the most important thing. Yes, the same cousin who has managed to not ever visit any of us in the last 20 years, and prioritizes trips with "her girlfriends!" to a spa or Disneyland over her grandmother's 80th birthday or her aunt's 65th birthday celebrations. Yes, the same cousin who has never manages to even send us Christmas cards or her kids' school pictures despite all of us showering her kids with holiday gifts and her family with cards. The same cousin who cried at Grandma's funeral about how much she misses all of us and we need to visit more, but then didn't return any of our phone calls or emails offering to visit. But I guess posting something cute and inspirational on FB trumps one's actual *actions*.

Lynnv

« Reply #15439 on: March 26, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »
I can almost see the "I'm allergic to apples!" response as something like "I'm bummed I can't ask about the recipe from you, because I'm allergic to apples!" But there is no excuse for just posting "Yuck!" in response to someone else. One of my friends is vegan, and we will occasionally post responses to each other's food things with faux-outrage, but never, ever would either of us dream of disparaging the other's food choices with "Yuck!"

I can see that as well.  I would have read it as "That looks wonderful.  Too bad I wouldn't be able to have it since I'm allergic."  Which I suppose goes down to communication on the internet being unclear sometimes.  Because it could have meant that.  Or it could have meant "Yuck."

My pet peeve of the day.  Rain.  And I am traveling today, so I will spend all day changing my wipers from one intermittent setting to another since the rain is more of a drizzle of constantly changing intensity.  Grumble.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #15440 on: March 26, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »

I can see that as well.  I would have read it as "That looks wonderful.  Too bad I wouldn't be able to have it since I'm allergic."  Which I suppose goes down to communication on the internet being unclear sometimes.  Because it could have meant that.  Or it could have meant "Yuck."
Words have meanings, if that is what she meant, then that is what she should have written.   

Dr. F.

« Reply #15441 on: March 26, 2014, 10:56:24 AM »
When I actually GO to all the trouble to make something for lunch, get it all ready, put the bag with it NEXT to my purse and bag, and then leave it sitting in my living room. Grrrr.

Bonus points if you leave it where the dogs can get to it, so that you come home to the remnants scattered everywhere.

Shalamar

« Reply #15442 on: March 26, 2014, 11:19:22 AM »
Or if it's the sort of thing that will spoil if it's left out all day, and you'll have to throw it out when you get home.  Not that I've ever done that, or anything.  Ahem.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15443 on: March 26, 2014, 12:02:27 PM »

Words have meanings, if that is what she meant, then that is what she should have written.

Well thing is I wasn't offended, as I didn't think she was intending to be rude or anything, it was just an awkward thing to post because other than "Well, sorry to hear it" I didn't really know what to say to that.  One of my friends told me she thought it seemed a bit attention seeking like the person was trying to turn the focus of the post away from what I had accomplished and onto her allergy. 

I don't really agree with that, at least I doubt that was the intent but it was just...well, awkward.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15444 on: March 26, 2014, 12:24:49 PM »
When I actually GO to all the trouble to make something for lunch, get it all ready, put the bag with it NEXT to my purse and bag, and then leave it sitting in my living room. Grrrr.

Bonus points if you leave it where the dogs can get to it, so that you come home to the remnants scattered everywhere.

Hahaha - I don't have pets, so not an issue, but yeah, I could see it happening.  Tunafish remains scattered would NOT be pretty. I think I'm just going to toss the whole container since it will STINK from being out all day.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15445 on: March 27, 2014, 07:33:09 AM »
There is a quote that I take to heart when I realize I am not respected by my parents.

Mark 6:4 - Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not honored in his hometown. He doesn't receive any honor among his relatives. And he doesn't receive any in his own home."

It gives me comfort.

Only three more weeks of classes, and I am suddenly getting friction from my boss about the two classes I have during my work week. I haven't missed a class yet this semester and I am not going to start now!

Ah yes, that would be a comforting passage, wouldn't it, and a good one to remember. :)

I get annoyed when things or people wake me up 5 minutes before my alarm's set to go off.  Yeah five minutes really isn't going to make a difference but it's still nice to stay in a warm bed that much longer if you can.

nuit93

« Reply #15446 on: March 27, 2014, 01:14:36 PM »
My priest once told us that an uncle told her as she was headed home that it didn't matter what she knew or how many degrees she had, when she went home she'd be 5 years old again and know nothing about the world. She said it with humor, but it's certainly true.

Course maybe it's the parents way of getting back at us for thinking we know it all in our preteen-teen years.

My middle child went to a sleepover on Saturday night where the birthday boy had shown him something horrifying, some manga slide show story about a woman who walked around after her own suicide or something. I'd seen what he was talking about so I can appreciate how it would bother him.

Anyway he didn't sleep well at the party so that afternoon he came home from playing at another friend's house and fell asleep on the sofa but he later absolutely REFUSED to admit he'd been sleeping.  Mind you, he was OUT like a light but he insisted he hadn't been sleeping.  ::)

I've seen that manga too...I left the nightlight on that night :)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #15447 on: March 27, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
How about when people forget or ignore something you've said?

I saw my cousin yesterday at a concert of her son's school orchestra.  Because she wasn't entirely aware of my camera phobia she took a picture of me, her husband, and sister-in-law in our seats.  Over lunch later we talked about a party I'm helping to plan and she said "You gotta post a photo of that on FB."  I told her I don't post photos of myself and she asked me to e-mail her one instead.

What do I find when I get home?  Two "likes" from friends on the photo she took in the concert hall and a notification that I was tagged in the photo.  One comment "You posted a photo?  [Exclamation we probably can't type here]!"  I replied with "I didn't.  You should know me better than that." and untagged the photo.  My cousin had posted the photo from her cell phone.

She's not a malicious person so I'm still trying to figure out how she failed to realize this wasn't the right thing to do.

It seems there was a clash of communication styles.  You said you never post pictures of yourself; you didn't say she couldn't post pictures of you, only that you personally don't do it.  Hopefully this will help keep you from being driven up a wall in the future; it can be so frustrating when we think we're being clear and the other person doesn't get it.  My FMIL and I have this issue...and it is what is currently driving me up the wall.

I thought I was clear in telling her that I had a hairdresser lined up to do Six's hair for the wedding.  I know I mentioned it more than once.  She told Six that she was going to do her hair, and now Six is disappointed that grandma won't be doing it.  Of course she'll forget by the time of the wedding, but for now, I have to deal with an upset six year old who thinks I am excluding her grandmother.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #15448 on: March 27, 2014, 04:20:33 PM »
The person who decided that the exhaust vents for our work's breakroom should go right into the bathroom (which is on the other side of the wall.) The odor of...well, bathroom...combined with the smell of microwave Alfredo pasta meals is not great.

turtleIScream

« Reply #15449 on: March 27, 2014, 04:39:45 PM »
The person who decided that the exhaust vents for our work's breakroom should go right into the bathroom (which is on the other side of the wall.) The odor of...well, bathroom...combined with the smell of microwave Alfredo pasta meals is not great.

At least that's better than the reverse situation!