News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 04:09:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5498096 times)

Piratelvr1121

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15690 on: May 01, 2014, 09:31:06 PM »
A former neighbor had me doing one of these:  ???

They lived one block up from us and had a daughter the same age as my eldest boy.  When we first moved in this girl attended a school in another town over, using the girl's uncle's address and bringing her there in the morning and he'd bring her home in the afternoon so she could attend.

The reason? Mom didn't want her walking to school and couldn't understand why there were no buses.  Mind you, the school is about a five minute walk from our house.  Not even a mile and there are sidewalks and crossing guards.  In fact I think there might be only 3-4 buses for this school.

Well the other school got wise to her fraud of using her brother's address to send her kid there so the girl was allowed to finish up the school year but then had to attend at the local elementary school so she had to walk there after all.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15691 on: May 02, 2014, 07:20:10 AM »
Piratelvr, it's only social convention about what we eat at any given hour of the day.  I had a chicken sandwich for breakfast the other day and don't care what others might think of that.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #15692 on: May 02, 2014, 07:23:11 AM »
Piratelvr, it's only social convention about what we eat at any given hour of the day.  I had a chicken sandwich for breakfast the other day and don't care what others might think of that.

My friend told me her dad used to say "My stomach can't tell time."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

daen

« Reply #15693 on: May 02, 2014, 08:37:35 AM »
Every afternoon, regardless of how much I've eaten for lunch and snacks, I find myself hungry to the point of distraction.  Doesn't matter if I'd had a light calorie lunch or a heavy, supposedly filling lunch.  Chewing gum and drinking lots of water doesn't help.  I feel like a bottomless pit these days.

I'm like this.  Every afternoon about 2-3 hours after I eat lunch, I get HUNGRY.  So I've taken to keeping high fiber snacks around.  I'll eat some yogurt with granola, a cliff bar, boiled eggs, oatmeal, something.  Or my favorite is a toasted wheat waffle with peanut butter and honey.  But either way I eat, and I eat something filling. 

I go to bed late and wake up early.  I cannot eat breakfast early.  I eat breakfast around 10, lunch around 1, snack around 3-4, dinner between 7-9pm and another snack around 10-11.

Unfortunately, part of why it's so annoying to me right now is that I've had to temporarily give up all nut and egg and related products, so my go-to protein bars are no longer an option until I swap them out with something acceptable.  I posted that after I'd had a midday snack of an apple, a banana, and more pretzels than one should eat at one time, and much like the Very Hungry Caterpillar, I was STILL hungry.

<snip>

Would beef jerky (or similar) be an option? (I'm not entirely clear on how far "related products" reaches, and I don't know if you're vegetarian, so forgive me if this is a laughably useless suggestion.)

siamesecat2965

« Reply #15694 on: May 02, 2014, 09:02:12 AM »
The four ladies seated behind my friend and I last night at the theater. This was a funky dance company, and as soon as they were seated, the yammering and screeching began. And the taking of selfies, and so on.  Ok fine. but it continued when the lights went off, and the music started. I could still hear them over it all, and while I totally admit I could have been a tad more polite, it just popped out. It's only recently I've been able to ask someone to please keep it down in a theater or other setting.

I turned around and said "I'm sorry, could you please be quiet?" Again, could have said it a bit more politely...one said sorry, but the other said "Really?" Again, this just popped out (my mouth moves faster than my brain sometimes, but I'm working on that) but I turned around and said "yes. really" They did keep quiet throughout the performance though.

nayberry

« Reply #15695 on: May 02, 2014, 09:10:51 AM »
The four ladies seated behind my friend and I last night at the theater. This was a funky dance company, and as soon as they were seated, the yammering and screeching began. And the taking of selfies, and so on.  Ok fine. but it continued when the lights went off, and the music started. I could still hear them over it all, and while I totally admit I could have been a tad more polite, it just popped out. It's only recently I've been able to ask someone to please keep it down in a theater or other setting.

I turned around and said "I'm sorry, could you please be quiet?" Again, could have said it a bit more politely...one said sorry, but the other said "Really?" Again, this just popped out (my mouth moves faster than my brain sometimes, but I'm working on that) but I turned around and said "yes. really" They did keep quiet throughout the performance though.

doesn't sound like you were rude, they sound like they don't know how to behave at a show
baby berry arrived june 2016

Adelaide

« Reply #15696 on: May 02, 2014, 09:42:06 AM »
I'm sick of being graced with the unsolicited assertion that boys are stronger than girls. And it's always said by boys who aren't as strong as I am. And then it's like "Oh, I don't mean me personally."  ???

KimberlyM

« Reply #15697 on: May 02, 2014, 10:36:15 AM »
4 people in my office drink coffee.  3 of us like it strong, one prefers something that resembles slightly tinted hot water.  Once in a while the weak coffee drinker will come in early and make coffee...you can see through it, it's so light you could read a book through it.  No amount of explaining that if it's too strong, it can be watered down, if it's that weak, it's NOT coffee seems to work.  So this morning I'm going to have to walk up to starbucks or suffer with this swill.  My boss is a cheapskate, so this pot has to be finished before another can be made, and since only one of us is willing to drink it, it's going to sit there all day.

Luci

« Reply #15698 on: May 02, 2014, 11:21:54 AM »
4 people in my office drink coffee.  3 of us like it strong, one prefers something that resembles slightly tinted hot water.  Once in a while the weak coffee drinker will come in early and make coffee...you can see through it, it's so light you could read a book through it.  No amount of explaining that if it's too strong, it can be watered down, if it's that weak, it's NOT coffee seems to work.  So this morning I'm going to have to walk up to starbucks or suffer with this swill.  My boss is a cheapskate, so this pot has to be finished before another can be made, and since only one of us is willing to drink it, it's going to sit there all day.

A trip to Walmart for a second coffee pot is paid for by 3 trips to Starbucks. Put your name on it and take it with you when you resign/retire. Or buy a can of coffee so you can dump the weak pot and make the next pot with your own coffee in good conscience. Or get a thermal caraffe that will keep coffee drinkable for 1/2 day or better.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #15699 on: May 02, 2014, 01:39:29 PM »
Or get a single use brewer. We have had much more peace from ours at work.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

lilfox

« Reply #15700 on: May 02, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »

Sounds like so little coffee was used in the brewing of the first pot that it wouldn't be overly wasteful if the carafe was dumped after the one coworker got her cup so the rest of you could get regular strength coffee (and not waste time walking to/from a coffee shop)...  Or you could all use it to "rinse out" your coffee mugs into the sink and oops, it's all gone!   ;)

RE protein snack suggestions from above - thanks!  I do like yogurt so should make a point of seeing if that's more filling.  I'm not vegetarian but unfortunately jerky is not to my taste.

Yvaine

« Reply #15701 on: May 02, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »

We have a Keurig at work and everybody loves it. Everybody can brew exactly what they want and exactly the amount they want.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #15702 on: May 02, 2014, 04:58:49 PM »

We have a Keurig at work and everybody loves it. Everybody can brew exactly what they want and exactly the amount they want.

Yes but those cartridges are expensive.  I like them, but don't like them at the same time

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #15703 on: May 02, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »
I'm sick of being graced with the unsolicited assertion that boys are stronger than girls. And it's always said by boys who aren't as strong as I am. And then it's like "Oh, I don't mean me personally."  ???

A little 5 year old boy tried that on me once.  Direct quote from him was, "I'm a boy, so I'm stronger than you!".  With his dad's permission, I held him firmly in place for about 20 minutes before letting him run around again.  His dad was falling over laughing and told the boy, "It's not smart to tell someone you're better than they are" when the boy tried to cry and make out that I was a big meanie and he'd done nothing wrong.

kckgirl

« Reply #15704 on: May 02, 2014, 05:52:10 PM »

Yes but those cartridges are expensive.  I like them, but don't like them at the same time

You can get one that lets you use your own coffee, which, of course, is much cheaper. That's what we do at home.