Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1569960 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15690 on: April 19, 2014, 07:37:40 PM »
FIL.  ::)   DH's dad has some form of senile dementia.  He's called DH several times tonight, saying that he can't contact DH's sister.  DH has explained, several times, that Sis has a cell phone, and will see that he has tried to call her.  That she'll get back to him when she gets a chance.  That she can't always talk to him right then. I suspect that when this happens, she's already talked to him today (maybe more than once) and he just doesn't remember it. 

Nope, not good enough.  DH is supposed to call her and MAKE her answer her phone when Dad calls!   DH finally got impatient and told his father to stop calling her.  And not to call HIM any more this evening, either.  :-\
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #15691 on: April 19, 2014, 09:38:08 PM »
People that keep telling me something is "just my imagination" or something altogether different from what I am experiencing.

BG: Growing up,  I spent most of my life living very near active railroads (like within a few hundred yards). I relocated recently,  both my  home and work office hub. I am not really familiar with the area yet,  except for a few places on main stretches of road. I've gotten lost a lot lately it seems.

So, I keep hearing and feeling trains pass. Obviously in the distance,  but close enough that I can feel the vibrations through the floor at both my home and office and the sounding horn occasionally.  Everyone I've asked about it has sworn up and down that there are absolutely no train tracks anywhere near here and I must be hearing or feeling large trucks, airplanes flying low, or AC units /air handlers. No dang it,  I'm feeling a freaking train. I have been sure of it,  though I have no explanation why no one else can feel it or hear it.

So,  I took a wrong turn coming out of a parking lot and drove a few miles west of where I was trying to go.  The tip off I was traveling the wrong direction,  you ask?  I drove over TRAIN TRACKS! You know,  those imaginary train tracks that everyone swore up and down didn't exist here. I don't get it... They are roughly 2 miles from my office and 2.5 miles from my home and yet everyone told me there were none anywhere near here and there was no way I was feeling a train pass by.   Now I know everyone's definition of near might be a bit different,  but 2- 3 miles I think would qualify as near to a good deal of people.

I thought I was losing my mind.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:40:40 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #15692 on: April 19, 2014, 09:43:42 PM »
My son is 4, and he is beginning to demonstrate advanced math skills. It came up at church, and several people said, "wow, he is a smart little boy; he must take after his dad." Grrrr.

That is a grrr, unless your DH has a math-y job and they were referring to that.  If you're the one with a math-y job, or it was "he's better at math because he's a guy", double grrr.
Double GRRR if it is the very smart MOM making the comment.

Sis and 2 cousins have made similar comments. While I love BIL and my cousins' DH's (One has been in our family as long as I can remember), it makes me want to spit nails. BIL and cousins' DH's are smart - but Sis and Cousins made it through 3 different top notch HS's in the top half of their classes with undiagosed dyslexia. Then with some accommodations after being diagnosed (being allowed to tape lectures, allowed to skip lines and use 2 blue books on essay exams) made it through 3 highly respected Universities (granted they took more than 4 years) with solid 3.0 or higher GPA's while technically still reading on a upper elementary/JH level. They are smart and have fantastic memories.

Thankfully the I'm not smart stuff stopped on a dime when Loren was diagnosed with dyslexia in Kinder*, because they didn't want to send the message dyslexia = not smart.

*Usually they won't even test till the end of 2nd grade because it is hard to tell the difference between hitting brain development milestones at different rates and the LD. But in Loren's case she had some test (COGAT) results were she was above 95th percentile in almost all the test, but was below the 20th percentile in sections that had to do with processing written symbolic language. Since she had skipped over some gross and fine motor skill milestones (didn't crawl but bear walked then went straight to walking for example), and given our family history they tested her early. She loves reading and is above level due to interventions.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #15693 on: April 19, 2014, 10:14:03 PM »
People that keep telling me something is "just my imagination" or something altogether different from what I am experiencing.

I've had similar stuff happen to me. What I can't fathom is people telling me that it's in my head, then when I show it's real but try to agree that it was my perception, THEY GET STROPPY AND ANGRY!!!!

Really, some people won't take yes for an answer! I'm right! It existed! I perceived it different to you! Accept it and move on!
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #15694 on: April 19, 2014, 10:38:07 PM »

I've had similar stuff happen to me. What I can't fathom is people telling me that it's in my head, then when I show it's real but try to agree that it was my perception, THEY GET STROPPY AND ANGRY!!!!

Really, some people won't take yes for an answer! I'm right! It existed! I perceived it different to you! Accept it and move on!

When I was a kid from 5 till 10 or 11, I would swear up and down, left and right that sounds/voices were coming from a "speaker" in the ceiling of my bedroom. Thing was my parents knew that nothing could come from the "Speaker" because it was just a cover. The teen that lived in my room before had gerryriged a sound system. The wiring was dangerous so Dad and Uncle took it all out and had covered the whole with one of those screens made for that.

Then my parents remodeled. The contractor suggested they add some soundproofing/insulation to my room/the new master bedroom. The air vents were carrying the sounds from the kitchen/family room into what had been my room. The air vent and speaker cover were next to each other. My parents grew up in the depression - when I complained about the voices at night they would turn off the TV, and come to my room. So no noise in the front room to travel to my room.

Years later I complained that the high whine from a transformer brick on the answering machine plug was driving me up the wall. My parents told me there was no whine.

Then I complained that in the same room the cable box would change itself. They didn't believe me. Then one night Dad yells at me to choose a channel and stop flipping through them because the noise was driving him batty. I walked up behind him from my room and pointed out No one was in the room to flip the channels. We stood at the door and watched the channels flip.

So the cable guy came - the problem electromagnetic energy given off by the malfunctioning transformer that was whining was causing a problem with the cable box.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Adelaide

« Reply #15695 on: April 20, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
My Jewish professor said "Happy Easter!" to me as I was leaving yesterday. I'm absent-minded sometimes and I said the same thing back. >.<  I've also said "You too!" to waiters telling me to enjoy my food.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #15696 on: April 20, 2014, 11:45:01 AM »
My Jewish professor said "Happy Easter!" to me as I was leaving yesterday. I'm absent-minded sometimes and I said the same thing back. >.<  I've also said "You too!" to waiters telling me to enjoy my food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2-5mDyCKac

;D

Adelaide

« Reply #15697 on: April 20, 2014, 12:28:41 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2-5mDyCKac

;D

I don't even have to look to know that's Brian Regan. :P

PeterM

« Reply #15698 on: April 20, 2014, 02:01:54 PM »
This is Florida, it rains. Deal with it.

Sounds like Seattle :)

And Portland. It's dry in the summer, sure, but every stinkin' year when the first, completely predictable big rain hits in the fall drivers lose their minds.

"AIIIEEEEE! There's water falling from the sky! We're all doomed! My only chance of survival is to drive like a moron!"

Actual quote. Probably.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15699 on: April 20, 2014, 02:13:54 PM »
This is Florida, it rains. Deal with it.

Sounds like Seattle :)

And Portland. It's dry in the summer, sure, but every stinkin' year when the first, completely predictable big rain hits in the fall drivers lose their minds.

"AIIIEEEEE! There's water falling from the sky! We're all doomed! My only chance of survival is to drive like a moron!"

Actual quote. Probably.

That is the way I feel about all complaints about the weather! In August, it's going to be hot and humid, it may snow in November, or we may have the fans on in November while it rains, or Christmas day the kids are playing baseball in sweatshirts or me may be bundled up in soft blankets by the fire. Sometime the roads will get icy. Either don't go out or drive very, very carefully. Spring may be late or early, it will probably hail sometime, and there are storms. It just is. And it is different every year.

Just deal! And, by the way, it's not "ridiculous": it's life. Thank you.

Shalamar

« Reply #15700 on: April 20, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »
Hillia, there's someone on Reddit who thinks it's funny to post book spoilers about "Game of Thrones" on totally unrelated threads.    So, even if you've seen every single episode of the series, if you haven't read the books - spoiler city.   I was very upset a few months ago when I got a huge spoiler for a major event that only just happened in last Sundays's episode.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #15701 on: April 20, 2014, 03:35:29 PM »
While out to lunch, a man at the next table had a phone that kept ringing loudly. And every time it went off, he'd answer by singing "Happy Easter to you, Happy Easter to you" + launching into a long conversation, sometimes getting his wife to talk to whoever called, too. Super annoying!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15702 on: April 20, 2014, 07:26:30 PM »
My neighbors are having a large party. At least 20 guests and 12 extra cars, with nowhere to park them.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #15703 on: April 20, 2014, 07:34:18 PM »
People telling me that a spider is not an animal; that is the first time I have had that argument this month...it is the third.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #15704 on: April 20, 2014, 08:26:17 PM »
When I was a kid from 5 till 10 or 11, I would swear up and down, left and right that sounds/voices were coming from a "speaker" in the ceiling of my bedroom. Thing was my parents knew that nothing could come from the "Speaker" because it was just a cover. The teen that lived in my room before had gerryriged a sound system. The wiring was dangerous so Dad and Uncle took it all out and had covered the whole with one of those screens made for that.

Then my parents remodeled. The contractor suggested they add some soundproofing/insulation to my room/the new master bedroom. The air vents were carrying the sounds from the kitchen/family room into what had been my room. The air vent and speaker cover were next to each other. My parents grew up in the depression - when I complained about the voices at night they would turn off the TV, and come to my room. So no noise in the front room to travel to my room.

Years later I complained that the high whine from a transformer brick on the answering machine plug was driving me up the wall. My parents told me there was no whine.

Then I complained that in the same room the cable box would change itself. They didn't believe me. Then one night Dad yells at me to choose a channel and stop flipping through them because the noise was driving him batty. I walked up behind him from my room and pointed out No one was in the room to flip the channels. We stood at the door and watched the channels flip.

So the cable guy came - the problem electromagnetic energy given off by the malfunctioning transformer that was whining was causing a problem with the cable box.

Those darn Decepticons! >:D

Current wall-driven-annoyance: Neighbors who think everyone wants to hear their brand new subwoofer. My windows are rattling and the police will arrive soon to make them tone it down. I'm not the only one who called to complain about them, either. This happens every single time they throw a party.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."