Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1566428 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15735 on: April 22, 2014, 09:25:25 PM »
Fans of a sport displaying bad sportsmanship.  I was at the Wild vs. Avalanche game last night at the Xcel and three separate times when an Avs player went down after being hit, people in the crowd were booing the Avs player.  I was stunned.  To actually hear people booing someone who was concussed, or has a knee injury that will keep him out of the game for up to 6 weeks?  It's not okay.  What makes it worse is the people I'm seeing on the Internet who are defending those fans, saying it's expected and nobody should be offended. 

At the game, I heard a little boy behind me shouting "Avalanche, we HATE you!".  I turned to look, and the boy is maybe 6 or 7 years old, screaming about how he hates a rival sports team.  Yeah, that drives me up the wall.  It's a rivalry, not anything worthy of hate!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15736 on: April 22, 2014, 09:29:16 PM »
Fans of a sport displaying bad sportsmanship.  I was at the Wild vs. Avalanche game last night at the Xcel and three separate times when an Avs player went down after being hit, people in the crowd were booing the Avs player.  I was stunned.  To actually hear people booing someone who was concussed, or has a knee injury that will keep him out of the game for up to 6 weeks?  It's not okay.  What makes it worse is the people I'm seeing on the Internet who are defending those fans, saying it's expected and nobody should be offended. 

At the game, I heard a little boy behind me shouting "Avalanche, we HATE you!".  I turned to look, and the boy is maybe 6 or 7 years old, screaming about how he hates a rival sports team.  Yeah, that drives me up the wall.  It's a rivalry, not anything worthy of hate!

I agree. I'm watching the Rangers-Flyers game tonight and these teams really do not like each other. I'm a die hard Rangers fan, but if I were there, and a Flyer got hurt, I'd be concerned, not cheering.

Adelaide

« Reply #15737 on: April 22, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
Are there any news sources that aren't horrifically biased anymore? I'm trying to monitor a global "situation" for a paper but I can't find any good American OR foreign sources on the subject that aren't "doom and gloom". I've had to scour the internet for locals of that region to talk to who, while biased, will at least give me facts.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #15738 on: April 23, 2014, 07:42:45 AM »
When I mention having to buy something for the kids and my mother says "it must be nice to afford to do that".  Recently my oldest out grew all her shoes, so I had to buy her rain boots and two pairs of sneakers (outdoor and indoor )

Sigh, yes it is nice I suppose, but really what else was I going to do have her curl her toes? Cut holes in the ends?

My mum does this too - except she accuses me of not being able to afford it. Mum, seriously, I'm an adult, I know my budget. If I want to buy myself a $45 backpack to replace my torn and tatty nappy bag, I will.

The other thing that mum does about purchases is when I mention that I want to get something for Baby Drifter and she goes and gets a cheap or secondhand version before I can get what I want to.
For example - I mentioned wanting to get Baby D a little foam folding out couch (just a toddler sized one) for her first birthday (which was Sunday, but I said this weeks ago). The next time I went to mums' place, what has appeared in the corner of Baby D's room at her house?

Grrr.

OR! Asks what to get her for her birthday and COMPLETELY IGNORES what I say, going to get one of the VERY FEW things that I said NOT TO. She and Dad got Baby D a sandpit, but for a start we have two cats and for another thing we are living with my parents-in-law while we build, so it's going to be at least six or seven months before we can even set it up, which means that we're going to have to spend money we had not been planning on spending so fast to get the backyard fenced, or at least made safe, or mum will pout that we're not using 'her present' the minute we move into the new house.

Grrrr!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15739 on: April 23, 2014, 08:27:41 AM »
That my Middle Pirate has been told several times that if he doesn't want his little brother getting into his things, put them where little brother can't reach.  Yet what does he do after catching Littlest Pirate trying to eat his chocolate bunny? Puts it right back on the seat of the rocking chair (within its box) and then gripes when he catches Littlest Pirate nibbling on it again.

He left for school and I caught the little guy with the bunny again and finally put it up where I knew he can't get to, the top of the fridge.

Really, how hard is it? I've been telling him this since LP could crawl and now he's 2.5, you'd think he'd get it by now. I can see putting it up where he'd think the LP couldn't reach and then being surprised when finding just what is within the little man's reach. (Been there, done that) but leaving it on a low seat? That's just asking to have one's things messed with.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15740 on: April 23, 2014, 08:35:47 AM »
^This.

My mother in law likes to buy secondhand objects to give as gifts. I have an objection to buying a used bicycle or guitar as a Christmas present.

Two Christmases in a row, she preempted the gift DH and I were giving DS. One was a bicycle and the other a guitar. Both times, the items she bought were shabby, and neither were able to be used.

I no longer talk to her about gifts.

magicdomino

« Reply #15741 on: April 23, 2014, 10:38:42 AM »
Seedless grapes that aren't really seedless.  I mean, sure, the seeds are smaller than the seeds in non-seedless grapes, but I still don't like to crunch on anything hard when I'm eating grapes.  :-\

Along the same lines, raisins with stems.  I believe it was Trader Joe's Red Flame raisins that offended me.  When I eat oatmeal, I do not want to be spitting little hard bits.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15742 on: April 23, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »
Vending machines that accost you as you walk past.  I'm walking at a mall in the early morning, and no less than 7 vending machines holler at me every morning that I should spend my  money on them.  ::) 2 candy machines, 1 coke machine, a weight scale at the vitamin & supplements store, 3 toddler ride-ons (car, carousel, fire engine) and 1 acne medicine dispenser.   The car ride-on is the worst; it spurts out diabolical laughter that I guess is supposed to sound like childish glee.  I tell you, if any of my kids or grandkids sounded like that, I'd be looking for an exorcist!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15743 on: April 23, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »
While I love secondhand bookstores, it would be nice if we had at least one full-sized bookstore in our town where one could purchase books brand new.  I'm looking for the first book of Rick Riordan's "Heroes of Olympus" series for Oldest Pirate's birthday, and the one 2nd hand bookstore only had one of the author's books-one OP has already read.  2nd and Charles seemed to have every one of the "Heroes" books except the first. Grr.

I didn't even make it to the Books-A-Million express in the mall cause Littlest Pirate fell asleep in the van. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #15744 on: April 23, 2014, 12:40:01 PM »
my sewing machine is driving me crazy right now. I have so many projects, and I finally have some time today. But I keep getting the loopy, messy thread bunching that everyone knows and loves. I've tried everything I can think of. I've been playing with the tension, I've rethreaded my machine, rewound the bobbin, and even changed out the needle. When I sew on my scrap piece, it turns out fine, but as soon as I start on the dress, it bunches up again. grrrrr!!!  >:( I really don't want to get my smaller machine down from the closet. But I don't want to hand stitch either.
Take it in to the sewing machine repair people stat.  The timing is off, so that the thread hook isn't coming around to catch the thread when it should.  Did you hit a pin recently?  That can throw it off.  (Not as bad as a 5-year-old driving the needle through a wooden puzzle piece, but very few things are THAT bad!)

:( I was worried it was something like that. I hate having to take it in, and I was really hoping I could wiggle it back into action. I have a talent for messing things up in odd and spectacular ways. Last time I took this machine in, the problem was that I had put the needle in backwards ::)

So, my next thing that drives me up the wall is going to be heading to the machine shop. This machine is built into a cabinet, and it's a pain to take anywhere.

This is so long ago, but....

If the machine is sewing fine on the scrap (so the timing is fine), but the timing is off on the real fabric, it's very possible you don't have the right kind of needle.

If you have the wrong needle for the fabric, you'll get a tiny, tiny delay, which throws off the timing. But that would explain why you don't have the problem on some other kind of fabric.

It may be that you have an extra-problematic fabric, as well.

I had trouble w/ a double needle, and I thought it was the brand. But I bought a bunch of brands and then realized that the problem was the fabric I was using. It was extra-stretchy, and it simply would not work with any of the double needles, not even the ones marked for "stretch." But those needles worked totally fine on every other fabric type I tried.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #15745 on: April 23, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
Easter candy, and the grandparents who buy it. There is no way 100 kids could eat this much, let alone my 2.

Ooh, I used to hate that! I ended up feeling that the only way to control the candy was for me to give up the Easter bunny.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #15746 on: April 23, 2014, 12:49:22 PM »
Drivers on a 75mph interstate that drive under the speed limit when there are signs posted that there is no minimum speed.  In the state I live in laws have been enacted to actually ticket people who do this when you are on sections of the interstate that are only two lane to prevent road rage incidents.  Don't know if it does reduce it or not, but I do get miffed when stuck behind someone going 60 in a 75 zone.

It's not just to prevent road rage; people who drive very much slower than the norm on busy highways are actually a danger to everyone.

nuit93

« Reply #15747 on: April 23, 2014, 01:19:16 PM »
Easter candy, and the grandparents who buy it. There is no way 100 kids could eat this much, let alone my 2.

Ooh, I used to hate that! I ended up feeling that the only way to control the candy was for me to give up the Easter bunny.

Or you could freeze it and give it out at Halloween :)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #15748 on: April 23, 2014, 01:21:25 PM »

Or you could freeze it and give it out at Halloween :)

LOL!!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15749 on: April 23, 2014, 02:16:35 PM »
While I love secondhand bookstores, it would be nice if we had at least one full-sized bookstore in our town where one could purchase books brand new.  I'm looking for the first book of Rick Riordan's "Heroes of Olympus" series for Oldest Pirate's birthday, and the one 2nd hand bookstore only had one of the author's books-one OP has already read.  2nd and Charles seemed to have every one of the "Heroes" books except the first. Grr.

I didn't even make it to the Books-A-Million express in the mall cause Littlest Pirate fell asleep in the van. :P

I have found the Riordan books at Target, Walmart and Sam's Club.