Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1749377 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15750 on: April 23, 2014, 03:09:30 PM »
People telling me that a spider is not an animal; that is the first time I have had that argument this month...it is the third.

I being slightly arachnophobic -- am wondering whether the people you mention, were coming from the mistaken premise that animal = mammal; or considered spiders to be loathsome entities from the seventh circle of the nether regions; or some of each?

I thought that maybe they thought the animal = mammal thing, so I said as much...but two of them still argued.

I don't know where the animal = mammal business came from in the first place -- it's so epically wrong.  Or, I wonder whether some folk have a mistaken notion that only vertebrates count as animals -- "everything else is insects"... ?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15751 on: April 23, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »
People telling me that a spider is not an animal; that is the first time I have had that argument this month...it is the third.

I being slightly arachnophobic -- am wondering whether the people you mention, were coming from the mistaken premise that animal = mammal; or considered spiders to be loathsome entities from the seventh circle of the nether regions; or some of each?

I thought that maybe they thought the animal = mammal thing, so I said as much...but two of them still argued.

I don't know where the animal = mammal business came from in the first place -- it's so epically wrong.  Or, I wonder whether some folk have a mistaken notion that only vertebrates count as animals -- "everything else is insects"... ?
No, I had DH try to tell me that birds and reptiles weren't animals, either. 

I asked "What are they, then?  They certainly aren't vegetables or minerals!" 

"They're birds and reptiles."

I handed him the dictionary and invited him to look up the definition of "animal."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15752 on: April 23, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »
Upselling, no matter what it is or who's doing it.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #15753 on: April 23, 2014, 04:26:01 PM »
Finding out I'm in a competition I didn't know I was in nor want to be in.  It would be OK if it was something worthwhile, like at work or for fun, but it's not.  I have been entered into a competition of weddings...by the other competitor.  She is comparing everything we're doing and talking about it endlessly to other people.  I guess the only thing good about it is that I'm apparently winning without even trying, right?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #15754 on: April 23, 2014, 04:46:20 PM »
Drivers on a 75mph interstate that drive under the speed limit when there are signs posted that there is no minimum speed.  In the state I live in laws have been enacted to actually ticket people who do this when you are on sections of the interstate that are only two lane to prevent road rage incidents.  Don't know if it does reduce it or not, but I do get miffed when stuck behind someone going 60 in a 75 zone.

It's not just to prevent road rage; people who drive very much slower than the norm on busy highways are actually a danger to everyone.

Okay, I do this when I'm driving to/from Home and Grad School (it's a very long drive along one interstate), but I have good reasons for doing so:
  • The MPH changes enough between 60-65-70 that it just makes much more sense to stay at 60 than kick it up, slow down, kick it up again, etc.
  • Often it's windy and curvy, so I feel a better handle on the car at 60.
  • At least in my state, unless it's posted, the understood minimum speed is 45 on the highway.
If I feel comfortable, I will go 70 MPH, but that also burns through gas faster, and I'd rather not use money I don't have to if I can make the whole trip on one tank of gas. However, unless it is absolutely necessary, I stay in the right lane, because it's made for the slower traffic.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #15755 on: April 23, 2014, 07:36:37 PM »
As long as you're staying in the correct lane - it's when idiots stay in the 'fast' lanes and insist on going 90 in a 110kph zone that people get annoyed. Especially when there are two of them side by side (most often people towing caravans I have found, usually travelling in a convoy) and end up with a *massive* queue of people behind them. Arghh!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15756 on: April 23, 2014, 08:29:13 PM »

I found a notice on my door yesterday that our fire system sprinkler heads must be replaced on Wednesday. All furniture must be moved to allow a 3 foot opening around the sprinkler head so ladders can be placed.

We have 15 sprinkler heads in our townhouse. One is at the edge of our bed. Our king sized bed that can't be moved without being more in the way. DH had to take the day off since the complex has the hours of replacement from 9 AM to 6 PM.

I am so happy DH took today off. Especially after he noticed the maintenance staff member accompanying the fire system techs just unlocked each unit and let them go in alone. We have pets. We have objects that can be dangerous in the wrong hands and a lot of valuable electronics!

These were units with no one home in them.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #15757 on: April 23, 2014, 10:07:52 PM »
Noncompliant patients who show up repeatedly in crisis. They wouldn't be returning every few months if they just *took their meds!* Argh!
Who is the Doctor?

diesel_darlin

« Reply #15758 on: April 24, 2014, 01:46:53 AM »
Upselling, no matter what it is or who's doing it.

I have to do this at my job, and I hate it. I work at a gas station. People pretty much  know what they want and how much of it when they come in the door. There's no way around it because management can listen to the audio tapes and hear whether we are up selling or not.  :-\

Redsoil

« Reply #15759 on: April 24, 2014, 03:51:51 AM »
This.  THIS drives me up the wall.  Seriously.  (Copied from my FB page)

Well, that was an awesome day... NOT.

My beautiful, beloved ute got smashed into by a driver today, who pulled out from the kerb straight into me. Spun the ute 180 degrees, right into the railway crossing fence. Back wheel smashed (point of impact), probably axle stuffed, almost all panels damaged. Unable to be driven - tilt-tray driver took the ute back to smash repairers.

Will be at least 3 weeks before anything can be done to repair mine. Depending on the assessor's report, may be written off.

Truly - how does one NOT see a bright gold ute???
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #15760 on: April 24, 2014, 04:10:02 AM »

Redsoil, darling, this is Oz. A country where people can drive along a perfectly straight road and crash into a road-train and claim "I didn't see it", and a magistrate believes them.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Redsoil

« Reply #15761 on: April 24, 2014, 04:54:10 AM »
I hear you, Fliss!  Would help if they didn't have their head stu...   um, don't get me started!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

jilly

« Reply #15762 on: April 24, 2014, 05:12:38 AM »
As a driver of a repeatedly hit bright yellow car I have developed a theory, people see you and go 'oh pretty' combined with a tendency to go where they look (I know I did when learning). They can't admit this so they didn't see you. Then you have the drivers who are just oblivious to everything.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #15763 on: April 24, 2014, 06:34:10 AM »

Redsoil, darling, this is Oz. A country where people can drive along a perfectly straight road and crash into a road-train and claim "I didn't see it", and a magistrate believes them.

It's the same people who hit a stopped full size, transit style (flat front), neon yellow school bus with it's red flashing lights and stop sign and say they "didn't see it"...or firetruck, or ambulance, or police car with full lights and sirens.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15764 on: April 24, 2014, 06:48:59 AM »
When kids want you to see something so they shove it directly in front of your eyes, sometimes touching the end of your nose.  Thankfully my older two have learned this drives mom up the wall (I would refuse to look at it until they handed it to me politely) but the Youngest Pirate has taken up this habit of shoving something directly in front of my eyes and saying "LOOK!" and then throws a temper tantrum when I push his arm away so that I can properly see what I'm supposed to be looking at.

*sigh* Two year olds...
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata