News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 05:07:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5494201 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15780 on: May 08, 2014, 10:12:10 AM »
Being given a pile of work not 10 minutes before I am due to leave the office.  My start and finish time are structured: I am there as early as I can be after dropping DS off at childminders.  I HAVE to collect him at 5.30 every evening.  If I do not, I will be charged.  If it happens more than 3 times, Social Services (now called Children's Protection Services) are called and it is treated as neglect or failure to collect a child.  So when I say I need to leave at 4.20pm, that is because I have to be ready to leave the door at 4.30pm to catch the bus I need into town, and then walk from that bus stop to the stop I need for the bus to get me home.  I have to get 2 buses, which takes around 1 hr and that is if there are no delays and I don't have to wait long between buses.  All I need is an accident on the roads and the buses to be delayed, and I would be late.  So to pile work on me at 4.23 annoys me slightly.  Yes, it can wait until tomorrow...why not wait until I had gone and just put it on my desk rather than stress me out at the 11th hour and make me feel almost guilty for having to leave work (having done my hours) in order to collect my child?

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Thipu1

« Reply #15781 on: May 08, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »
The class scheduling when I was in Graduate School. 

I understood that, because the Library School students were all working full-time, classes had to be scheduled on evenings and weekends.  However, was it necessary to schedule the final exam for one course on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and the first class of the next semester on Sunday of Labor Day weekend? How about the class that scheduled a Mid-Term exam on the evening before Thanksgiving?

Before Grad School Mr. Thipu and I were in the habit of taking  trips on three day weekends  to places like Philadelphia, Baltimore or Washington DC.  My class schedule effectively knocked out two of the big three summer holiday weekends. 

TootsNYC

« Reply #15782 on: May 08, 2014, 10:47:25 AM »
When people don't get innocent and obvious jokes. 

Some years ago, a co-op parking garage was started in our neighborhood.  The idea was that you'd 'buy' a parking space and then pay a monthly maintenance fee.  At the same time, rents and prices of co-ops or condos were going through the roof. 

One evening, when out with friends, I quipped that it might be a good idea to buy a parking space, a good-sized RV and move into the garage.  Of course, I wasn't serious but one of the other women in our group went ballistic.  I was quite loudly informed that to do such a thing would be totally illegal.  The information was delivered with great sighing and rolling of her eyes at my stupidity.

There is also a street vendor who has sells nice earrings at a reasonable price.  The pairs are
mounted on pieces of jigsaw puzzles. When I was working, I'd buy a few pairs a week.   

I once joked with the vendor that, if I bought enough earrings, I'd get a whole puzzle.  We both had a little chuckle about that but another woman who was shopping informed me, in a pitying tone, that,
'Honey, these pieces don't all come from the same puzzle'.

Ooh, I hate that. (and those are funny quips, btw)

On my 2nd date w/ my now-DH, we went to the aquarium. Right inside the door was the glass wall of a tank that held beluga whales. The whales were hanging out, w/ their bodies hanging down in front of that window, and right about head level was the whale's navel. A big old belly-button, just like mine (only MUCH bigger). I was so surprised! I blurted out, "Whales have navels!" (well, I know they're mammals, but I never really thought about it)
      My date thought that was so cute. He loved to tell that story. He was telling it at some party where I was being introduced to his friends; the sister of the hostess got really scornful. "Of course, they do, they're mammals." I said, "well, I know, but I just never really think about belly buttons except on primates. I never really noticed belly buttons on dogs or cats, or horses. This looked just like a person's, and I'd never been in a position to see it before."
   You'd have thought I got even more stupid, the way she went on.
    I concluded that she had decided to dislike me and make me look stupid no matter what I did, based on her superior smirk and further interactions with me. I got really, really patient, and then just stopped talking to her or looking at her.

gen xer

« Reply #15783 on: May 08, 2014, 10:47:50 AM »
 I hate being the car directly behind a minivan or an SUV.  I can't see around them and for some reason it infuriates me.  I hate that it bugs me so much because those vehicles are everywhere but it does.  It's like driving behind a brick wall.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #15784 on: May 08, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »
Reminds me of my very-literal (and annoying for other reasons) old housemate.

I don't know how many of you have heard the rhetorical question, "Why don't you ever see baby pigeons?" along with jokes we sometimes tell children about how pigeons reproduce without having babies (and I just had a giggle Googling it).  I am well aware, and was at the time, that baby pigeons stay in the nest until they look lke adults.

So I said to my housemate, "Hey, I saw a baby pigeon today.  It turns out they exist!  Ha ha ha ha ha!".  At which point he looked at me pityingly and said, "Of course they do.  Are you stupid?"
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:32:39 PM by RingTailedLemur »

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #15785 on: May 08, 2014, 11:22:30 AM »
I once repeated an old joke to a classmate about how Hamlet was all right and all, but the author relied too much on famous quotations.  She looked at me blankly and said "Well, I thought it was pretty good.  I guess it's not for everybody."

If it makes you feel any better, I laughed :)

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #15786 on: May 08, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »
When people say "That make me feel nauseous."

It's nauseated. Nauseous means that you make other people feel sick. Gah!

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #15787 on: May 08, 2014, 02:10:34 PM »

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nauseous

I am aware that "nauseated" is the more technically correct term for feeling sick to my stomach, but I still prefer to use "nauseous" because that's what I'm used to hearing and "nauseated" sounds stilted to me. You're entitled to be bothered by it, but it's a legitimate language choice.  :)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Ser Lucien Liliane

• The Unsleeping Translator
    • My tumblr
« Reply #15788 on: May 08, 2014, 02:26:36 PM »
My new motherboard seems to be faulty. >:( I'm still doing troubleshooting, and I'm well within the return period, but this is annoying!
"Ah, yes. I forgot you've taken levels in Defeating Paperwork."

nayberry

« Reply #15789 on: May 08, 2014, 02:47:47 PM »

Sheldon, is that you? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyRyTUHXgsw
baby berry arrived june 2016

BeagleMommy

« Reply #15790 on: May 08, 2014, 03:23:19 PM »
I once repeated an old joke to a classmate about how Hamlet was all right and all, but the author relied too much on famous quotations.  She looked at me blankly and said "Well, I thought it was pretty good.  I guess it's not for everybody."

If it makes you feel any better, I laughed :)

Me, too! (Says the woman who owns and wears a T-shirt covered in Shakespearan insults).

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #15791 on: May 08, 2014, 04:23:20 PM »
My husband's insistence that we're having a garage sale this weekend. He said our storage areas are full. I suggested taking things to Goodwill. No, he wants to have a garage sale. Our town's citywide garage sale is this weekend. I said I would not be helping. (We have never participated before, as it's usually over Mother's Day, and DH's birthday and my sister's birthday are also in that time period. Usually we are out of town celebrating.) He said it was OK, he would handle it. I also said I didn't want people coming on our garage (it's detached and just has a wooden door, not a storm door or anything, so would be easy to break in to.) He said OK.

Last week he brought all the tubs of old clothes downstairs. (And that's mostly what we'll have--I sold most of our larger things on Craigslist. So there'll be an older crib, and a plastic climbing toy, but no other big ticket items.) He has yet to go through them. He is borrowing tables from the club he belongs to, but it's supposed to rain this weekend and he has no canopy. He also has no signs, change, or stickers for price labels. It's supposed to start tomorrow afternoon (although I don't know what time) and go through Sunday (just how every mother wants to spend Mother's Day, watching her husband sit out on the driveway.) His assumption is that he can come home after work, casually set stuff up, and it'll be easy. Obviously he has never been to/set up a garage sale before, as people can be ruthless in re: to opening times. He's also a terrible haggler.  ::)

He did, however, pay the $10 to get on the town's garage sale map. So people will be expecting there to actually be a sale. Ugh.

Bethczar

« Reply #15792 on: May 08, 2014, 05:08:35 PM »

Sheldon, is that you? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyRyTUHXgsw
When I was watching that episode, I commented on it before Sheldon did. It irritates me that much.

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #15793 on: May 08, 2014, 05:13:07 PM »
My husband's insistence that we're having a garage sale this weekend. He said our storage areas are full. I suggested taking things to Goodwill. No, he wants to have a garage sale. Our town's citywide garage sale is this weekend. I said I would not be helping. (We have never participated before, as it's usually over Mother's Day, and DH's birthday and my sister's birthday are also in that time period. Usually we are out of town celebrating.) He said it was OK, he would handle it. I also said I didn't want people coming on our garage (it's detached and just has a wooden door, not a storm door or anything, so would be easy to break in to.) He said OK.

Last week he brought all the tubs of old clothes downstairs. (And that's mostly what we'll have--I sold most of our larger things on Craigslist. So there'll be an older crib, and a plastic climbing toy, but no other big ticket items.) He has yet to go through them. He is borrowing tables from the club he belongs to, but it's supposed to rain this weekend and he has no canopy. He also has no signs, change, or stickers for price labels. It's supposed to start tomorrow afternoon (although I don't know what time) and go through Sunday (just how every mother wants to spend Mother's Day, watching her husband sit out on the driveway.) His assumption is that he can come home after work, casually set stuff up, and it'll be easy. Obviously he has never been to/set up a garage sale before, as people can be ruthless in re: to opening times. He's also a terrible haggler.  ::)

He did, however, pay the $10 to get on the town's garage sale map. So people will be expecting there to actually be a sale. Ugh.

Find something fun to do away from the house.

TootsNYC

« Reply #15794 on: May 08, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »

These terms have been flipping back and forth in meaning for years.

There's even a whole usage discussion in my dictionary of choice.

http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/unabridged/nauseous