Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1705928 times)

Cherry91

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15795 on: April 24, 2014, 07:30:42 PM »
My oldest is going to be 13 on Sunday and I swear sometimes it seems a lot more apparent than others that I've got a hormonal teenager on my hands.

Example:
Me: How was your day today?
Oldest Pirate: *long sigh* Fine...
Me: What's wrong?
Oldest Pirate: Nothing...
Me: Come on, you can say.
OP: Nothing's wrong, why do you think something's wrong?
Me: Cause of that sigh before you said "Fine."
OP: I didn't sigh!
 ::)

Just to say, I often sigh when I'm tired - not because the day has been especially bad or draining in any way, I'm just weary from a full day. Your son might not even realise that he sighed.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15796 on: April 24, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »
It wasn't just the sigh, it was the tone of voice as well.  The tone he usually uses when he's unhappy or disappointed about something.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #15797 on: April 24, 2014, 07:53:44 PM »
People who utterly refuse to do any research drive me up the wall. *argh*

A fandom I'm in centers around ancient Chinese history, including the usage of courtesy names. To put it simply, the courtesy name was sort of like a nickname given to a man once he came of age, at which point others in his own age group would be forbidden to call him by his given name and would use the courtesy name instead. Given names were reserved for elders (who could also use the courtesy name to show great respect) and family - the latter of which was absolutely forbidden to use the courtesy name.

So when I start reading fanfiction and two brothers are calling each other casually by their courtesy names only, it becomes VERY obvious that someone has either decided research was completely unnecessary, or that they're deliberately flaunting their disregard for the time period's cultural rules. And neither of those make me very inclined to do anything but immediately stop reading! >:(
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15798 on: April 24, 2014, 08:17:41 PM »
I just wrote a paper on Lady Fu Hao, so I understand your frustration.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15799 on: April 25, 2014, 01:39:17 AM »
My oldest is going to be 13 on Sunday and I swear sometimes it seems a lot more apparent than others that I've got a hormonal teenager on my hands.

Example:
Me: How was your day today?
Oldest Pirate: *long sigh* Fine...
Me: What's wrong?
Oldest Pirate: Nothing...
Me: Come on, you can say.
OP: Nothing's wrong, why do you think something's wrong?
Me: Cause of that sigh before you said "Fine."
OP: I didn't sigh!
 ::)

I am so sorry my son teleports to your house.  I think he got it from his dad, though.

blueyzca01

« Reply #15800 on: April 25, 2014, 10:35:13 AM »
I was emailing a co-worker whom I havenít seen in a couple of years (this place has 5000+ employees, so that's easy to do).  I ran into him in another building and by the following morning, he had sent an email telling me it was nice to see me and whatís new?  We were messaging back and forth for a little while, which was fine, but he kept LOLing.  In every frickin email. 

And this is a grown man with a pretty studly occupation at this facility.  After 5 emails, I couldnít stand it anymore.  I finally wrote:
Bob, you need to stop LOLing.  I havenít said anything funny.  Neither have you.  And seriously dude, my 10 year-old niece doesnít LOL.  Ever.  You are a grown man who carries a firearm at work.  Please stop before I go nuts.

He apologized and explained that his nieces and nephews LOL a lot.  And heís getting better.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Shalamar

« Reply #15801 on: April 25, 2014, 01:49:44 PM »
It's probably very petty of me, but I automatically lose some respect for people who use "LOL" in an e-mail or Facebook post.  If they're teens, fine, but adults?  Nope.

On the subject of size:  my older daughter (19) is 5 feet 1 inch tall.  My younger daughter (17) is 5 feet 9 inches tall.  It drives them crazy (me, too) when people assume that the younger daughter is the older of the two, or they make jokes like "This is your 'little' sister?!?"  They've learned to take it in good grace, but they're always inwardly sighing and thinking "Yes, I'm a hobbit/Giant.  Thanks for pointing that out."

blueyzca01

« Reply #15802 on: April 25, 2014, 02:10:15 PM »
^^Shalamar, itís good they take the teasing with a grain of salt, because itís NEVER going to stop. 

Iím 46, Iím a glorious 5 feet tall, and my younger sister is 5í7Ē.  And Iíve got a niece whoís 5í8Ē, and a nephew who is 6í4Ē.  They all lean on my head.  My sister still says stuff like ďmy little sister, har har.Ē  People make similar comments. If I got upset every time someone made a joke, Iíd be continuously angry and bitter. 

I just ignore the comments and say stuff like, ďIím not short, Iím concentrated!Ē

No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15803 on: April 25, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »
My husband used to rest his chin on top of my head and ask if anyone had seen me.  My almost 13 year old stands in front of me on a daily basis to see if he's outgrown me yet. (he's very close to being as tall but isn't taller...yet)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15804 on: April 25, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »
On the subject of size:  my older daughter (19) is 5 feet 1 inch tall.  My younger daughter (17) is 5 feet 9 inches tall.  It drives them crazy (me, too) when people assume that the younger daughter is the older of the two, or they make jokes like "This is your 'little' sister?!?"  They've learned to take it in good grace, but they're always inwardly sighing and thinking "Yes, I'm a hobbit/Giant.  Thanks for pointing that out."

I'm a shorter older sister, and I know so many others, that I almost wonder if there's some science behind it, that later kids are more likely to be taller.  ;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15805 on: April 25, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »
My only sibling is taller but not by much.  He's 5'7", about the same height as our grandfather.

I can't say for sure about my boys as none of them have reached their full adult height yet but DH is apparently taller than both his parents.  His mom is about 5'4" and her first husband (dh's father) was 5'7", I think and DH is 5'10".

The women on my dad's side of the family run taller though, and one of my great-uncles is over 6' so there is height in my family, it just totally missed me!

nuit93

« Reply #15806 on: April 25, 2014, 04:07:14 PM »

I'm a shorter older sister, and I know so many others, that I almost wonder if there's some science behind it, that later kids are more likely to be taller.  ;D

Well, my baby sister is taller than me...but she has a different dad (he's about six foot, whereas my biodad is around 5'8").

So...science?  I dunno.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #15807 on: April 25, 2014, 04:28:14 PM »

I'm 5' 10" and my younger sister is 5' 2". For whatever reason people didn't make too many comments about it, though.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #15808 on: April 25, 2014, 04:32:19 PM »
The day before yesterday I bought a new skirt. It wasn't expensive or anything (got it on clearance) but it fit perfectly, didn't need to be ironed, was very comfortable, and coordinated with about six tops I already own. So yay!

I wore it for the first time yesterday. When I got home from work, I opened my gate and as it swung open, I heard a riiiiiiip noise. A sharp wire on the gate had caught in my new skirt and as the gate swung open, it ripped a hole near the bottom of it.  :'(
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15809 on: April 25, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »
The day before yesterday I bought a new skirt. It wasn't expensive or anything (got it on clearance) but it fit perfectly, didn't need to be ironed, was very comfortable, and coordinated with about six tops I already own. So yay!

I wore it for the first time yesterday. When I got home from work, I opened my gate and as it swung open, I heard a riiiiiiip noise. A sharp wire on the gate had caught in my new skirt and as the gate swung open, it ripped a hole near the bottom of it.  :'(

I have always found that if a clothing item makes it through the first 3 wearings without getting torn or stained, it will last the rest of my life. A $5.00 shirt from Walmart or $80.00 pair of slacks from Kohl's, or a $150.00 coat - they all follow the same rule. And, unlike your experience, it is not at all dependent on my love of the item or its perfection.