Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1777405 times)

Margo

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15825 on: April 28, 2014, 10:56:59 AM »
Many parents who show up to schools around here do so in pj pants, dirty tshirts and no bras (for the ladies) or lewd t-shirts on the men.  One guy picked up his kid while wearing a shirt that said "I like (nickname for cat that also is used for private part) like a fat kid likes cake".  Really, dude, really? At an elementary school?

Are they volunteering at the school? I can see having a dress code for parents who are going to working in school (including volunteers) but if they are simply picking up of dropping off I'd see as being akin to going out anywhere else in public - I wouldn't expect them to wear something different to pick the child up from school than to go to he local shop (I personally wouldn't do either in PJs, but I don't see one as being inherently different to the other..)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15826 on: April 28, 2014, 11:17:52 AM »
It's allergy time and everyone around me is sneezing, coughing, sniffling, hacking away non-stop, and I'm about to lose my freakin' mind.  :o

Just remember that it's not fun for any of the sneezers, coughers, and hackers. My allergies are so bad this year that the allergy medicine that has always worked is only making things a little better.

Indeed.  It's miserable, I can't breathe, sleep, taste, or see anything.

In fact this year is supposed to be extra awful due to the long winter we've had.  I have an appt with my allergist next week to go back on prescription allergy meds for the spring and summer.  I haven't needed prescription meds since I finished my allergy shots in 2010.

It was someone on this forum who posted the joke that the allergies are so bad this year that the meth cookers are turning the meth back into Sudafed.

(((Hugs))) for all you allergy sufferers.  I'm not too bad, yet (crossing fingers and knocking on wood).
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

alkira6

« Reply #15827 on: April 28, 2014, 11:43:25 AM »
Many parents who show up to schools around here do so in pj pants, dirty tshirts and no bras (for the ladies) or lewd t-shirts on the men.  One guy picked up his kid while wearing a shirt that said "I like (nickname for cat that also is used for private part) like a fat kid likes cake".  Really, dude, really? At an elementary school?

Are they volunteering at the school? I can see having a dress code for parents who are going to working in school (including volunteers) but if they are simply picking up of dropping off I'd see as being akin to going out anywhere else in public - I wouldn't expect them to wear something different to pick the child up from school than to go to he local shop (I personally wouldn't do either in PJs, but I don't see one as being inherently different to the other..)

I actually don't care about the pj's - wouldn't do it myself, but hey, whatever.  I would object to the lewd/obscene slogans. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15828 on: April 28, 2014, 11:53:15 AM »
No, not volunteering, and while I wouldn't wear pj's myself unless I was just dropping the child off via car and didn't expect to have to get out of the car and was feeling like carp, I do think it's in rather poor taste to pick up a child at an elementary school while wearing a lewd shirt.

Heck I have one Van Halen tshirt with "Van Halen Kicks (alternate word for Donkey)" on the back and even though the two S's are supplemented with characters I won't wear it around kids without a hoodie to hide the back of the shirt.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15829 on: April 28, 2014, 01:08:27 PM »
My computer at work. It ahs gotten increasingly slower, taking forever to open things, documents, websites etc., and I see the "blue spinning circle of death" more often than I'd like to! Very frustrating when you need to multitask like i do, opening various docs and programs at any given moment.

our help desk is less than that, and due to security restrictions, I can't clean up or do anything like that myself. since I'm not an admin.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #15830 on: April 28, 2014, 01:25:09 PM »
Post earrings with butterfly backings. I never buy them and everyone I know knows not to get them for me. They cause me nothing but trouble in both putting an earring on and keeping it in my earlobe. Either I don't tighten them enough and lose both the backing and the earring, or I require the jaws of life to remove them. They never slip on and off easily and I envy people who can manage it. So it drives me up the wall to see a beautiful pair of post earrings at the store and turn them over to see those stupid butterfly backings!
Who is the Doctor?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15831 on: April 28, 2014, 01:27:02 PM »
Post earrings with butterfly backings. I never buy them and everyone I know knows not to get them for me. They cause me nothing but trouble in both putting an earring on and keeping it in my earlobe. Either I don't tighten them enough and lose both the backing and the earring, or I require the jaws of life to remove them. They never slip on and off easily and I envy people who can manage it. So it drives me up the wall to see a beautiful pair of post earrings at the store and turn them over to see those stupid butterfly backings!

Depending on how much you like the earrings and how expensive they are, you could ask them to swap out the posts with the type that have a screw on back.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #15832 on: April 28, 2014, 01:39:38 PM »
Being blamed (or at least being held accountable) for things over which I have zero control. 

FIL is on a super strict diet, ate something he's not supposed to have and is now mad at me because it was in the house in the first place.  So I guess we're all supposed to be on this ultra restrictive diet.  We have modified our own diets to an extent but darn it, my kids like to get a cookie in their lunch and I should be able to have them on hand.  (I had them up in a really high cupboard and put away.  He must have seen me getting into them and found the hidey hole.)

One of my bosses turned in expenses minus some $$ receipts.  And it's my fault that I can't magically produce said receipts.  And while I do try to get what I can, I can't get receipts that were paid in cash.  He's grumpy and complaining now because he's not going to get reimbursed.  ALL MY FAULT people.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #15833 on: April 28, 2014, 02:18:49 PM »
My computer at work. It ahs gotten increasingly slower, taking forever to open things, documents, websites etc., and I see the "blue spinning circle of death" more often than I'd like to! Very frustrating when you need to multitask like i do, opening various docs and programs at any given moment.

our help desk is less than that, and due to security restrictions, I can't clean up or do anything like that myself. since I'm not an admin.

I'm having an issue with one of the programs I'm using for my job, and I'm hoping I don't have to call the help desk, because they don't.  Their reasoning is, since I'm using my own computer, it's my problem.  Some things are my problem, to be fair, but the program in question worked fine until they did an upgrade. 

Adelaide

« Reply #15834 on: April 28, 2014, 08:44:04 PM »
I have different standards than my parents for what's edible when we go out to eat. My mother is a wonderful cook and I don't understand how she can just accept sub-par dining conditions without even mentioning it to the staff. My father prides himself on being a "good ol' boy" (genuinely, not in terms of the white-collar, male-dominated pecking order) and hates making waves. They won't say anything if the food's cold, if there's a hair in it, or even if they get something that's slightly off from what they ordered. My father hates tomatoes and he'll just laugh and say "Oh, I guess I have a little work to do before I eat!" and pick them out. My mother won't do anything but comment to us if her soup's cold, or a side dish is terrible, or the restaurant's version of a "salad" is half a head of iceberg lettuce, a fistful of cheese, and chunks of tomato.  I think their whole rationale is that they don't want to bother the restaurant staff, but they're there to work, not kick their heels back. I've sent food back before and my parents have said that I shouldn't, or that it was "fine" or that I shouldn't be so picky. I love how vocal they're willing to be with me but they'll tip an awful server 20% and suffer through any sort of meal.  ::)

Betelnut

« Reply #15835 on: April 28, 2014, 09:29:28 PM »
My DVR will simply NOT record "Adventure Time."  I've set it several times but it still won't record it!  Came home tonight and it wasn't recording it.  This is the first show I've this problem with and I don't get what is wrong.  The message says something about the time being off but what can I do about that?  The show comes on when the show comes on!  All my other shows record just fine...
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15836 on: April 28, 2014, 09:42:34 PM »
I'm having the same problem with a show called 'Remedy'.  One week, it runs from 9:00 to 10:00.  The next?  09:00 to 10:01.  Then 09:00 to 09:59.  Followed by 09:01 to 10:00 the next.  Every week, I have to reset the dang DVR.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #15837 on: April 28, 2014, 09:45:22 PM »
I'm having the same problem with a show called 'Remedy'.  One week, it runs from 9:00 to 10:00.  The next?  09:00 to 10:01.  Then 09:00 to 09:59.  Followed by 09:01 to 10:00 the next.  Every week, I have to reset the dang DVR.

I know on mine I can set it to start recording 1-5 minutes before and after the scheduled air time.  Does your DVR not have this?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15838 on: April 28, 2014, 09:51:36 PM »

I know on mine I can set it to start recording 1-5 minutes before and after the scheduled air time.  Does your DVR not have this?

I can manually change the recording time but the problem is that I can only record two programs at a time and I'm recording two programs from 8 to 9 and two other programs from 10 to 11.  If I adjusted the time, I'd have to cancel one of the other recordings.  It's just easier to remember to check the programming each week.

Although I am going to call about getting the 'Nextbox' which will allow me to record up to 8 programs at once.  But the feature I really want is that it will allow me to save a lot more programs.  Right now, I can only record about 25.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15839 on: April 28, 2014, 09:57:26 PM »

I actually don't care about the pj's - wouldn't do it myself, but hey, whatever.  I would object to the lewd/obscene slogans.

I just want people covered from neck to mid-thigh. That is frequently not the case at my son's high school.