Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1791721 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15840 on: April 28, 2014, 10:10:07 PM »
Preteen boys.  I have taught them to do laundry.  The fact that middle pirate even started a load earlier this evening proves this. Or rather I should say he knows how to operate the machine. 

For when I went to switch it over after he went to bed, there was very little in it but for socks, underwear and a few shirts.  I just put in about 6 pairs of jeans and two pairs of khakis after he insisted "these are the only pairs of pants I have without holes!!" as justification for trying to wear the same pants all week long. Now granted the jeans I threw in the wash did have varying sizes of holes but I figure if I trim them up and hem them, they can make for good shorts.

All these pants? Not on the floor but rather shoved in various bins in his room in his attempt to "clean".
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #15841 on: April 28, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »
I'm having the same problem with a show called 'Remedy'.  One week, it runs from 9:00 to 10:00.  The next?  09:00 to 10:01.  Then 09:00 to 09:59.  Followed by 09:01 to 10:00 the next.  Every week, I have to reset the dang DVR.

I believe this is the network trying to defeat DVR's in order for people to watch live for the sake of ratings. Admittedly, it's extremely frustrating and annoying!
Who is the Doctor?

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #15842 on: April 29, 2014, 12:37:32 AM »
I'm having the same problem with a show called 'Remedy'.  One week, it runs from 9:00 to 10:00.  The next?  09:00 to 10:01.  Then 09:00 to 09:59.  Followed by 09:01 to 10:00 the next.  Every week, I have to reset the dang DVR.

I believe this is the network trying to defeat DVR's in order for people to watch live for the sake of ratings. Admittedly, it's extremely frustrating and annoying!

Even though the times in your DVR guide change from week to week, the actual start times of the shows don't change. My aunt found this out when she started to record Arrow in it's first season.  They changed the start time every single week, but there were two weeks in a row that she wasn't home to update the settings and they just stayed the same.  The entire show still recorded with the minute buffer on each end.  I think it has something to do with advertising. 

Do a test for a week and see what happens.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15843 on: April 29, 2014, 08:47:12 AM »
Every night, I check to see what's being recorded.  'Remedy' is never highlighted, even though I have set it to record 'this day in this time slot', same as every other program that is still highlighted to record.

And I can't set it to record from 09:59 to 10:01 each week because it is bookended with other shows.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TaurusGirl

« Reply #15844 on: April 29, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »
Parents who let their children listen to loud electronic toys on the bus. I have heard the alphabet song 6 times on this ride already.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15845 on: April 29, 2014, 09:22:37 AM »
I have different standards than my parents for what's edible when we go out to eat. My mother is a wonderful cook and I don't understand how she can just accept sub-par dining conditions without even mentioning it to the staff. My father prides himself on being a "good ol' boy" (genuinely, not in terms of the white-collar, male-dominated pecking order) and hates making waves. They won't say anything if the food's cold, if there's a hair in it, or even if they get something that's slightly off from what they ordered. My father hates tomatoes and he'll just laugh and say "Oh, I guess I have a little work to do before I eat!" and pick them out. My mother won't do anything but comment to us if her soup's cold, or a side dish is terrible, or the restaurant's version of a "salad" is half a head of iceberg lettuce, a fistful of cheese, and chunks of tomato.  I think their whole rationale is that they don't want to bother the restaurant staff, but they're there to work, not kick their heels back. I've sent food back before and my parents have said that I shouldn't, or that it was "fine" or that I shouldn't be so picky. I love how vocal they're willing to be with me but they'll tip an awful server 20% and suffer through any sort of meal.  ::)

I don't get this.  You pay a premium to eat in a restaurant and you have the right to have what you want and -- to some extent -- how you want it.

As to the DVR thing there is a setting that says "All Times" which can solve this problem.  Or if it comes from your cable company you need to talk to them.  If a program changes hour or day of week my DVR recognizes the program and records it when it comes on.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15846 on: April 29, 2014, 09:28:46 AM »
I can't use the 'All Times' setting for some programs because a lot of what I watch is rebroadcast later in the week, which can interfere with other programs I'm recording.  But that's a good suggestion for this particular program.  The next time I have to reset it again, I'll choose the 'All Times' option.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

magicdomino

« Reply #15847 on: April 29, 2014, 11:29:19 AM »
Post earrings with butterfly backings. I never buy them and everyone I know knows not to get them for me. They cause me nothing but trouble in both putting an earring on and keeping it in my earlobe. Either I don't tighten them enough and lose both the backing and the earring, or I require the jaws of life to remove them. They never slip on and off easily and I envy people who can manage it. So it drives me up the wall to see a beautiful pair of post earrings at the store and turn them over to see those stupid butterfly backings!

Can you use the plastic bullet earring backs like these:  http://www.amazon.com/Beadaholique-144-Piece-Rubber-Earring-Backs/dp/B009LIOEHM  ?  If so, you can substitute them for the metal backs.  I buy them by the gross because they can be used on both post and french wire earrings ( I lose a lot of earring backs.  :) ).  This style works too:  http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/H202416FY

Snooks

« Reply #15848 on: April 29, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »
When I spend $$ for theater tickets, and the woman who sits down in front of me has Big Hair.  Honestly, lady, do you really want your head to have the general shape and size of a pumpkin?  I had to lean the whole show, because Ms. Pumpkinhead would have blocked my view of the entire stage.

Her and her giant husband sat it front of us last night.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #15849 on: April 29, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »
Regarding everyone about the post earrings: Thanks for the suggestions! (I am super paranoid that the wrong backing will make me lose an earring!)
Who is the Doctor?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15850 on: April 29, 2014, 05:47:43 PM »
Flakey people, or people who claim they haven't had time to contact you when you can see on their fbook activity that they most definitely have had time but you clearly weren't a priority.

Though it's more of an eyeroll and a "really?" thing than driving me up the wall cause it's someone I'm really not expecting too much from anyway.  This is coming from my oldest friend, a girl I've known since we were two and at one point was my best friend. We grew apart due to our lives taking different paths and while we've reconnected here and there, I haven't seen her in about 8 years. In her adult years she's not really shown herself to be terribly dependable so when she says "We need to get together" I think "Yeah, yeah, sure."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Frog24

« Reply #15851 on: April 29, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »
My mom is coming tomorrow night to look after the girls while their day care is closed.  The house is a disaster zone: toys everywhere, slight layer of dust on some shelves, bathrooms that need a quick wipe-down.  Let's just say it was an extremely busy weekend, and the chores simply got pushed off.  So I ask hubby what his work day is like today. 

"Oh," he says.  "I have a bit of stuff in the morning, but I should be home early-ish."
"Okay, great!" I begin. "Do you think maybe you could..."  I start gesturing at the chaos.
"Yeah," he interrupts "if I get home early enough, I'm going to mow the lawn."

Cue jaw drop. 

"Um... mom's coming.  We need to tidy up the house." I say.
Cue his exaggerated sigh and eye roll.

Sorry, mister, I'm not going to do it all by myself again.

turtleIScream

« Reply #15852 on: April 29, 2014, 07:42:17 PM »
There is a video going around Facebook called Mom Goggles. Two women leave for a girls' weekend, and leave their husbands home with the kids. The men panic and order "Mom Goggles" so they can parent from a mom's viewpoint. Some of the scenarios are amusing, but the video quickly turns preachy. Moms are so good at what they do because God made them that way.

I watched this with my husband and 14 year old daughter, and I asked her what message the video was trying to get across. She answered, "That God created women to do all the hard, yucky work." I then asked what other messages she saw. "That men are incompetent, bumbling fools."

At least it gave us a basis for a good talk about marriage and parenting being a partnership, and that good parents are the ones who do what need to be done, whether or not it comes easily.

It was supposed to be a feel-good Happy Mothers Day video that makes moms feel so special that they fill a role no one else can. Can we not appreciate our moms without being preachy and condescending?
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

jstlstrnslb

« Reply #15853 on: April 30, 2014, 10:28:49 AM »
I'm currently retraining as an electrician, doing a course which is mainly self-study. The company running the course doesn't seem to have proof-read their material at all - there are numerous spelling mistakes, bizarre punctuation usage, poor-quality super-grainy images and diagrams, and even a couple of repeated pages...*

Oh yeah, and the professional guidelines they refer to all the dorsh-garned time were overhauled and updated in 2008 and again in 2011, yet they haven't updated their text since 2006, meaning that nearly all their page references are wrong.

*Being a tremendous pedant, I find myself infuriatingly distracted by all these - I have real trouble turning off my inner proof-reader!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15854 on: April 30, 2014, 11:05:24 AM »
Fall classes are starting a week earlier then previous years.  ::)