News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 05:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5491911 times)

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15840 on: May 11, 2014, 04:20:59 AM »
It was the same for fans of Crocs.

And honestly I never really understood the hate for Crocs.  No, the classic style certainly isn't the most stylish of design but they're really no worse than a flip-flop.
That is my problem with them. Technically they are within dress code - at least the ones with some type of back. Problem is kids walk/run straight out of them.

Our playground  is called "the park" by the neighborhood. Honestly I don't have a problem with the kids playing there. We often find the evidence of kids birthday parties (pinata parts, hats and stuff in the trash cans). That is fine. Glass beer and liquor bottles smashed on the ground - that is wrong.

Last year with psyco principal he wrote up a teacher for "Allowing a student to run barefoot on the playground resulting in injures requiring stitches" Kid had been running in crocs - ran straight out of them onto some glass. Short of being telekenetic there was nothing the teacher could have done to stop the kid.

It was so bad last year that my team took out a box and gathered up broken bottles/glass. Then would dump the box in the teacher's lounge trash. Got in trouble for that because head of elementary ed noticed broken beer bottles in the trash.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #15841 on: May 11, 2014, 06:17:28 AM »
Heck sometimes I have a hard time walking in them too. I can't tell you how many times I've nearly tripped wearing a pair because the rubber sole caught on a carpet.   They're not the easiest shoe to walk in and recently I've been treating one of my pairs as garden shoes cause they're so easy to slip on in order to go outside.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Adelaide

« Reply #15842 on: May 11, 2014, 08:13:21 AM »
One of my friends keeps griping to me about how expensive law school is. Which is true, but factoring in the two trips to Disney World, multiple opera shows, beach vacation, and official school gear and she and her fiance buy each other makes it really expensive. I realize that I have no right to tell anyone how to spend their money (and her fiance has a job) but she takes out student loans and is always saying she'll "never" pay them off. If I were her I'd ask him to save instead of buying me things like a $300 purse, wallet, and matching sunglasses. I really have to bite my tongue when this topic comes up but usually she's satisfied with a few "Mhm, totally" statements out of me.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #15843 on: May 11, 2014, 09:23:21 AM »
Just an update on my husband's "garage sale"--it was up and running from about 4:30-6 on Friday and about 9-1:30 on Saturday. (He shut it down when it sprinkled.)

He made $47--but $40 of that was from our one really big ticket item, a plastic climbing toy with a slide, which I could have sold on Craigslist for the same amount in about 30 seconds of time. :P So for his trouble he made a little more than a buck an hour.

I think he's learned that mothers of boys are the fanatical garage salers, while mothers of girls want to go buy their own girl clothes. He's planning on taking the baby clothes to Goodwill. Which was my original idea.  ::)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #15844 on: May 11, 2014, 10:50:11 AM »
Heck sometimes I have a hard time walking in them too. I can't tell you how many times I've nearly tripped wearing a pair because the rubber sole caught on a carpet.   They're not the easiest shoe to walk in and recently I've been treating one of my pairs as garden shoes cause they're so easy to slip on in order to go outside.

For all their problems, though... they are the comfiest *and* most durable slippers I've ever owned.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #15845 on: May 11, 2014, 12:13:09 PM »
Oh no argument there!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Snooks

« Reply #15846 on: May 11, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
Just an update on my husband's "garage sale"--it was up and running from about 4:30-6 on Friday and about 9-1:30 on Saturday. (He shut it down when it sprinkled.)

He made $47--but $40 of that was from our one really big ticket item, a plastic climbing toy with a slide, which I could have sold on Craigslist for the same amount in about 30 seconds of time. :P So for his trouble he made a little more than a buck an hour.

I think he's learned that mothers of boys are the fanatical garage salers, while mothers of girls want to go buy their own girl clothes. He's planning on taking the baby clothes to Goodwill. Which was my original idea.  ::)

Don't forget his $10 outlay to get on the map!

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #15847 on: May 11, 2014, 03:35:23 PM »
Ha, I forgot about that! Nothing like a -$3 profit.  ;D

Luci

« Reply #15848 on: May 11, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »

Don't forget his $10 outlay to get on the map!
Ha, I forgot about that! Nothing like a -$3 profit.  ;D

Be assured that I am doing the "Told-ya-so!" Happy Dance as well as the "Na-na-na-na-na-na" song in your honor, as I know you can't shouldn't do it yourself.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #15849 on: May 11, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »
Someone who is so absolutely convinced they are right and everyone else is wrong.

First, the high school science teacher who complained the food at an event "tasted like chemicals". My response, since the food is matter, then it is made of chemicals!

Second, the woman who told me the first rule of an evening snack is that there can be no sugar. I asked who's rule that was, and she couldn't answer me.  ::)
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #15850 on: May 11, 2014, 07:15:30 PM »
Ladyknight1, your post reminded me of this conversation with my DH...

BG: much to my DH's dismay I dislike /loathe a few music artists he thinks that everyone should love or at least appreciate.  The two biggest ones being Michael Jackson and the Rolling Stones,  the third being Led Zeppelin (please don't hate me for the Stones, that one tends to get people's hackles up). There are a few songs between them I will tolerate, but not many.

So we were out driving somewhere and a Stones song came on, so I flipped stations to where a Michael Jackson song was on, flipped again ending up on Led Zeppelin.   What the heck? My DH was getting slightly annoyed at my station flipping , but mostly amused...

So the fourth station I flipped to had just started "You may be Right".   I find the song hilarious and was singing along, when my DH says something along the lines of "Ha, see you like the Stones".  I answer "No I don't".  He tells me that that's funny since I'm singing along to them.  I tell him "Hon,  this is Billy Joel".   He is insistent that is the Stones. "Hon,  really, this is Billy Joel from the album Glass Houses and it's the first song on the album".

He whips his phone out to look it up to prove me wrong.  ::) I just chuckled to myself when he shut it off.

ETA: I had a similar conversation with another friend over a song she was insisting was  by Bryan Adams, nope,  Don Henley.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:17:20 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

« Reply #15851 on: May 11, 2014, 07:18:21 PM »
I just get annoyed when someone thinks they make unilateral decisions for all. I think she realized I don't give one tiny flip what she thinks.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #15852 on: May 11, 2014, 07:26:54 PM »
I just get annoyed when someone thinks they make unilateral decisions for all. I think she realized I don't give one tiny flip what she thinks.

Yeah, I agree with you on the second one.   

The first one I can understand though.   There are many reasons food may taste "like chemicals" to someone.  Tarragon does for me, cilantro does for other people (though I totally get that all food is technically all chemicals  ;)).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

« Reply #15853 on: May 11, 2014, 07:32:08 PM »
She had been talking about how she eats only whole foods, then attended a catered event and complained about the food constantly.

The other one, I just don't know.
-J.R.R Tolkien

Betelnut

« Reply #15854 on: May 11, 2014, 07:53:42 PM »
My daughter and I took the Metro today to the National Zoo.  The last time I took the Metro was...last Mother's Day to the National Zoo.  So we went up to the machine and, using the fare chart, I carefully calculated that the fare would be $3.50 one way for both of us, so I got two tickets with $7.00 on them. 

Oh no.  Apparently, the fare chart does not take into account that there is an additional $1.00 fee (each way) for something (I think once I was getting a one-time use fare card instead of a multi-use one?)

Anyway, so the fare was really $9 each.  Sigh.  When I tried to use a machine to add money to the fare cards, it simply wouldn't work.  Luckily, the station managers at both ends just waved us through!  Happy Mother's Day, I guess.

Still.  I wish the Metro was more a one fee deal instead of all these various rates based on where you are going and the times.
Native Texan, Marylander currently