News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 12:24:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5488718 times)

nayberry

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15855 on: May 11, 2014, 08:27:58 PM »
Had a "disc-ument" with hubs about a change happening next year in the Europa league competition (soccer)
He wasn't listening so when I made a comment, he tried to disagree with me and then said exactly what I'd said!! Gah!!   

For what it's worth the change is that the winner of the Europa league will get a spot in the next years champions league. So in the uk, where the top four teams in the premier league would normally qualify, if a team wins the Europa but doesn't finish the season in the top four, then it'd only be the top three teams and the Europa winner.  There has been a similar situation a few years ago where a team won the CL and finished 5th. So the fourth place team missed out but the fifth got in as holders.
baby berry arrived june 2016

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15856 on: May 11, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »
I just get annoyed when someone thinks they make unilateral decisions for all. I think she realized I don't give one tiny flip what she thinks.

You have just described Aunt Pittypat.  She could never get over the fact that I don't share her love of animation, Star Wars, or most dairy foods.

CakeEater

« Reply #15857 on: May 12, 2014, 05:08:53 AM »

First, the high school science teacher who complained the food at an event "tasted like chemicals". My response, since the food is matter, then it is made of chemicals!

I call pedantry on this one. I think anyone would have known what (s)he meant.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #15858 on: May 12, 2014, 05:17:13 AM »
My daughter and I took the Metro today to the National Zoo.  The last time I took the Metro was...last Mother's Day to the National Zoo.  So we went up to the machine and, using the fare chart, I carefully calculated that the fare would be $3.50 one way for both of us, so I got two tickets with $7.00 on them. 

Oh no.  Apparently, the fare chart does not take into account that there is an additional $1.00 fee (each way) for something (I think once I was getting a one-time use fare card instead of a multi-use one?)

Anyway, so the fare was really $9 each.  Sigh.  When I tried to use a machine to add money to the fare cards, it simply wouldn't work.  Luckily, the station managers at both ends just waved us through!  Happy Mother's Day, I guess.

Still.  I wish the Metro was more a one fee deal instead of all these various rates based on where you are going and the times.

I sympathize, as I had the same thing happen to me when we went last month for the cherry blossoms.  It was just the youngest pirate and myself and so I just needed one card and I had a hard time figuring out how much I needed each way. I had someone help me and apparently they forgot about that dollar extra too because when I got to the end of the trip I couldn't get out and the machines wouldn't accept the card to add just enough to it to allow me to get out. Thankfully we got waved through too.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

poundcake

« Reply #15859 on: May 12, 2014, 06:34:59 AM »
Ladyknight1, your post reminded me of this conversation with my DH...

BG: much to my DH's dismay I dislike /loathe a few music artists he thinks that everyone should love or at least appreciate.  The two biggest ones being Michael Jackson and the Rolling Stones,  the third being Led Zeppelin (please don't hate me for the Stones, that one tends to get people's hackles up). There are a few songs between them I will tolerate, but not many.

So we were out driving somewhere and a Stones song came on, so I flipped stations to where a Michael Jackson song was on, flipped again ending up on Led Zeppelin.   What the heck? My DH was getting slightly annoyed at my station flipping , but mostly amused...

So the fourth station I flipped to had just started "You may be Right".   I find the song hilarious and was singing along, when my DH says something along the lines of "Ha, see you like the Stones".  I answer "No I don't".  He tells me that that's funny since I'm singing along to them.  I tell him "Hon,  this is Billy Joel".   He is insistent that is the Stones. "Hon,  really, this is Billy Joel from the album Glass Houses and it's the first song on the album".

He whips his phone out to look it up to prove me wrong.  ::) I just chuckled to myself when he shut it off.

ETA: I had a similar conversation with another friend over a song she was insisting was  by Bryan Adams, nope,  Don Henley.

What drives me nuts about this kind of scenario is that people take it so personally and get all angry and sulky if they're wrong. I don't get angry and sulky if I'm wrong about something like this, or get defensive, or gloat or anything if I'm right. So, Former Friend or Ex-H or Family Member, why do you have to go into such a production of huffing, stomping around, and yelling at me when you happen to be wrong about what that move in figure skating is called, or the name of the third guy in Nirvana? It's really not that big a deal!

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #15860 on: May 12, 2014, 06:36:05 AM »
I thank ATMs.

I also say "bless you" when animals sneeze.  I'm probably beyond help.

I excuse myself if I burp in front of animals.

I do both.  I have also known myself say "Pardon me" if I burp when I'm alone. It's a reflex action now.  ::)

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #15861 on: May 12, 2014, 06:50:20 AM »
People who say they're coming to get their goats served by my buck, and waste my time by not showing up. Sorely, sorely tempted to charge them for this. It's happened two days in a row now, and I'm seriously peeved by it.

Captains Flat, Australia

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15862 on: May 12, 2014, 07:00:27 AM »
You definitely should charge them.  They wasted your time and time is money.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #15863 on: May 12, 2014, 07:10:15 AM »
People who say they're coming to get their goats served by my buck, and waste my time by not showing up. Sorely, sorely tempted to charge them for this. It's happened two days in a row now, and I'm seriously peeved by it.

If you're already charging them, ask for a deposit towards the total fee.  If you're not charging them, get a deposit that you can refund them if/when they actually show up.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #15864 on: May 12, 2014, 08:43:29 AM »
How hard is it to clean a dish with soap, water and a sponge or cloth?  Our dishwasher's broken and unfortunately it's not a brand that DH is trained to fix.  So we've had to do them the old fashioned way and I'm about ready to get on DH to get a new dishwasher because I'm getting really tired of having to nag the boys to A) actually clean the dishes and B) put them away dry!

I can't tell you all how many times I've reached for a plate in the rack and found it still spotty or slimy from grease.  Or pulled a bowl from the cupboard and gotten wet in the process.  And scolding them and making them do it over and over again isn't working, it seems.

I'm so sick of nagging I could scream!!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #15865 on: May 12, 2014, 08:47:10 AM »
Set up a wash station after a meal like we do when camping. Make sure plates are scraped clean, then use a dish pan with hot water and a small amount of dish soap, half the sink with hot water only, and a second sink or dish pan with water and a small amount of bleach. Each of the first two should have a sponge.

You do the washing in the first, then rinse, then rinse and sanitize. It works. You can use a shallow tote instead of a dish pan.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

magicdomino

« Reply #15866 on: May 12, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
My daughter and I took the Metro today to the National Zoo.  The last time I took the Metro was...last Mother's Day to the National Zoo.  So we went up to the machine and, using the fare chart, I carefully calculated that the fare would be $3.50 one way for both of us, so I got two tickets with $7.00 on them. 

Oh no.  Apparently, the fare chart does not take into account that there is an additional $1.00 fee (each way) for something (I think once I was getting a one-time use fare card instead of a multi-use one?)

Anyway, so the fare was really $9 each.  Sigh.  When I tried to use a machine to add money to the fare cards, it simply wouldn't work.  Luckily, the station managers at both ends just waved us through!  Happy Mother's Day, I guess.

Still.  I wish the Metro was more a one fee deal instead of all these various rates based on where you are going and the times.

I sympathize, as I had the same thing happen to me when we went last month for the cherry blossoms.  It was just the youngest pirate and myself and so I just needed one card and I had a hard time figuring out how much I needed each way. I had someone help me and apparently they forgot about that dollar extra too because when I got to the end of the trip I couldn't get out and the machines wouldn't accept the card to add just enough to it to allow me to get out. Thankfully we got waved through too.

DC Metro fares assume that you are using a plastic Smartrip card.  The extra dollar (each way) is for using a paper fare card.  Metro's excuse is that paper cards cost them more because of farecard machine maintenance, jammed turnstyles, etc.  Most Metro stations sell the Smartrip card in special machines for $10 -- $2 for the card and $8 for fares.  So, if you take more than one trip, the savings pay for the card.  You can easily refill them at the regular farecard machines, and if you register the card online, then if the card is lost or stolen, you can transfer the balance to the new card.  Not a bad deal if you live in the area, even if you go downtown only once or twice a year.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #15867 on: May 12, 2014, 10:11:54 AM »
I'm searching brownie recipes on Pinterest, and someone (assuming a troll) has gone through on 90% of the recipes and left this comment:

Believe Jesus Christ is your savior for your sins. Jesus Christ is God Almighty in the Flesh. This is the Gospel, believe Jesus Christ sprinkled his shed precious blood and died for you and all of your sins on the cross, he was buried and he rose again from the dead three days later from God's Power and you will be saved and you will go to Heaven forever. It matters not how much you have sinned in the past, in the present and in the future. Good works do not save, only Jesus blood saves forever.

Apart from the annoying proselytizing, it's a very long message and adds several inches of text to each pin box that I now have to scroll past.

nayberry

« Reply #15868 on: May 12, 2014, 10:15:26 AM »
babymama i hear ya, i have actually blocked people on pinterest (yes you can, go to their page ad there is a flag on the right hand side of the banner) because of the crud they post.  one actually posted on a political one and put about 10 posts in a huge ranty fashion. deleted and blocked!
baby berry arrived june 2016

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #15869 on: May 12, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »
Thanks Nayberry! I flagged him (had no idea you could do that.)