Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1693733 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15870 on: May 01, 2014, 03:32:17 PM »
I really don't like it when people feel they have to walk abreast, especially when it takes more than half the sidewalk width for just them.

I'm upset that Almost Human was cancelled.

I'm annoyed that my lunch with my friend and colleague ended up having 3 extra people added to it.  ::)

I'm annoyed that our local utility company forces people to pay through a third party now and has closed all their payment acceptance locations.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #15871 on: May 01, 2014, 04:21:04 PM »
Every afternoon, regardless of how much I've eaten for lunch and snacks, I find myself hungry to the point of distraction.  Doesn't matter if I'd had a light calorie lunch or a heavy, supposedly filling lunch.  Chewing gum and drinking lots of water doesn't help.  I feel like a bottomless pit these days.

I'm like this.  Every afternoon about 2-3 hours after I eat lunch, I get HUNGRY.  So I've taken to keeping high fiber snacks around.  I'll eat some yogurt with granola, a cliff bar, boiled eggs, oatmeal, something.  Or my favorite is a toasted wheat waffle with peanut butter and honey.  But either way I eat, and I eat something filling. 

I go to bed late and wake up early.  I cannot eat breakfast early.  I eat breakfast around 10, lunch around 1, snack around 3-4, dinner between 7-9pm and another snack around 10-11.

Unfortunately, part of why it's so annoying to me right now is that I've had to temporarily give up all nut and egg and related products, so my go-to protein bars are no longer an option until I swap them out with something acceptable.  I posted that after I'd had a midday snack of an apple, a banana, and more pretzels than one should eat at one time, and much like the Very Hungry Caterpillar, I was STILL hungry.

If you're cool with dairy, try cheese or a yogurt, I find the protein helps.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #15872 on: May 01, 2014, 05:39:02 PM »
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I really hate it when a group of friends takes up the whole sidewalk and won't let someone who is coming the other way get through.  When I said excuse me, they told me to go around and looked at me like I was something they scraped off the bottom of their shoes.  Sorry, but I'm not stepping into the street after we've had a torrential downpour that filled the gutters with muddy water, and I'm not pressing myself up against the building wall where rude people enjoy sticking their used chewing gum!  It is not that difficult for one of you (meaning one of them) to fall back a step and move aside, let me through, then take up your position once more.

Curious...what did you say/do once they said that to you?

Welllll...to be honest, I sort of caved.  :-[  I moved closer to the wall without touching it.  I'm not that good at confrontation.  But I didn't 'go around'.  The only way I really could have done that would have been to get off the sidewalk, and I wasn't about to do that.

My usual reaction is to just stop dead still; they can either run into me or walk around me.  It's confrontational without really having to do anything.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15873 on: May 01, 2014, 05:48:28 PM »
My toddler bumped heads with me earlier and he walked off feeling fine while I got a headache and was seeing stars.  Not that I want him to be hurt but man, it's good proof that two year olds most definitely have hard heads, and in more ways than one!

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15874 on: May 01, 2014, 07:05:37 PM »
In the two and a half years we have lived here, there have been multiple renters that had a home based daycare business. It is only an issue for other residents because the parents do not have gate access and will block the gate and card reader waiting for someone to let them in and several parents park in the already narrow drive past the unit.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15875 on: May 01, 2014, 07:30:53 PM »
Sounds like a gated complex I once lived in. It would have been nice if there'd been a way to remotely open the gate for visitors rather than the owner having to walk down with their own card to let the person and their vehicle in.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15876 on: May 01, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »
Each unit has a code and can give it out at will. There is a visitor gate that allows visitors to search for the person they are visiting by name and then calls them so they can be buzzed in.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #15877 on: May 01, 2014, 10:21:49 PM »
The people who drive their kids to the bus stop near our house drive me up the wall on a daily basis!  First off, I think it's ridiculous to drive your kid to the bus stop.  In the winter, when it's -20, I understand it.  But in the spring and fall, when it's cool, but still warm enough to wait outside for a few minutes, I don't get it.  These people block the entrance to our cul de sac, or block the street and seem to have no concept that those of us who live in the cul de sac may want to get out to go places!  It's so irritating, and there's nothing I can do if I don't want to get out of my car and confront everyone individually, thus causing even more of a delay. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15878 on: May 01, 2014, 10:31:06 PM »
A former neighbor had me doing one of these:  ???

They lived one block up from us and had a daughter the same age as my eldest boy.  When we first moved in this girl attended a school in another town over, using the girl's uncle's address and bringing her there in the morning and he'd bring her home in the afternoon so she could attend.

The reason? Mom didn't want her walking to school and couldn't understand why there were no buses.  Mind you, the school is about a five minute walk from our house.  Not even a mile and there are sidewalks and crossing guards.  In fact I think there might be only 3-4 buses for this school.

Well the other school got wise to her fraud of using her brother's address to send her kid there so the girl was allowed to finish up the school year but then had to attend at the local elementary school so she had to walk there after all.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #15879 on: May 02, 2014, 08:20:10 AM »
Piratelvr, it's only social convention about what we eat at any given hour of the day.  I had a chicken sandwich for breakfast the other day and don't care what others might think of that.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15880 on: May 02, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »
Piratelvr, it's only social convention about what we eat at any given hour of the day.  I had a chicken sandwich for breakfast the other day and don't care what others might think of that.

My friend told me her dad used to say "My stomach can't tell time."

daen

« Reply #15881 on: May 02, 2014, 09:37:35 AM »
Every afternoon, regardless of how much I've eaten for lunch and snacks, I find myself hungry to the point of distraction.  Doesn't matter if I'd had a light calorie lunch or a heavy, supposedly filling lunch.  Chewing gum and drinking lots of water doesn't help.  I feel like a bottomless pit these days.

I'm like this.  Every afternoon about 2-3 hours after I eat lunch, I get HUNGRY.  So I've taken to keeping high fiber snacks around.  I'll eat some yogurt with granola, a cliff bar, boiled eggs, oatmeal, something.  Or my favorite is a toasted wheat waffle with peanut butter and honey.  But either way I eat, and I eat something filling. 

I go to bed late and wake up early.  I cannot eat breakfast early.  I eat breakfast around 10, lunch around 1, snack around 3-4, dinner between 7-9pm and another snack around 10-11.

Unfortunately, part of why it's so annoying to me right now is that I've had to temporarily give up all nut and egg and related products, so my go-to protein bars are no longer an option until I swap them out with something acceptable.  I posted that after I'd had a midday snack of an apple, a banana, and more pretzels than one should eat at one time, and much like the Very Hungry Caterpillar, I was STILL hungry.

<snip>

Would beef jerky (or similar) be an option? (I'm not entirely clear on how far "related products" reaches, and I don't know if you're vegetarian, so forgive me if this is a laughably useless suggestion.)

Shalamar

« Reply #15882 on: May 02, 2014, 09:55:22 AM »
We have a soccer field close to our house, and it's used a lot in the spring/summer/fall for soccer games, baseball games, and the like.  That means that a lot of parents and grandparents use our street to park on so that they can watch their kids play.  Fair enough, except that they, too, seem to forget that people LIVE on this street.  Treating it like a big parking lot is extremely annoying for us residents.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15883 on: May 02, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »
The four ladies seated behind my friend and I last night at the theater. This was a funky dance company, and as soon as they were seated, the yammering and screeching began. And the taking of selfies, and so on.  Ok fine. but it continued when the lights went off, and the music started. I could still hear them over it all, and while I totally admit I could have been a tad more polite, it just popped out. It's only recently I've been able to ask someone to please keep it down in a theater or other setting.

I turned around and said "I'm sorry, could you please be quiet?" Again, could have said it a bit more politely...one said sorry, but the other said "Really?" Again, this just popped out (my mouth moves faster than my brain sometimes, but I'm working on that) but I turned around and said "yes. really" They did keep quiet throughout the performance though.

nayberry

« Reply #15884 on: May 02, 2014, 10:10:51 AM »
The four ladies seated behind my friend and I last night at the theater. This was a funky dance company, and as soon as they were seated, the yammering and screeching began. And the taking of selfies, and so on.  Ok fine. but it continued when the lights went off, and the music started. I could still hear them over it all, and while I totally admit I could have been a tad more polite, it just popped out. It's only recently I've been able to ask someone to please keep it down in a theater or other setting.

I turned around and said "I'm sorry, could you please be quiet?" Again, could have said it a bit more politely...one said sorry, but the other said "Really?" Again, this just popped out (my mouth moves faster than my brain sometimes, but I'm working on that) but I turned around and said "yes. really" They did keep quiet throughout the performance though.

doesn't sound like you were rude, they sound like they don't know how to behave at a show