Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1619357 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15915 on: May 04, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »
When people don't get innocent and obvious jokes. 

Some years ago, a co-op parking garage was started in our neighborhood.  The idea was that you'd 'buy' a parking space and then pay a monthly maintenance fee.  At the same time, rents and prices of co-ops or condos were going through the roof. 

One evening, when out with friends, I quipped that it might be a good idea to buy a parking space, a good-sized RV and move into the garage.  Of course, I wasn't serious but one of the other women in our group went ballistic.  I was quite loudly informed that to do such a thing would be totally illegal.  The information was delivered with great sighing and rolling of her eyes at my stupidity.

There is also a street vendor who has sells nice earrings at a reasonable price.  The pairs are
mounted on pieces of jigsaw puzzles. When I was working, I'd buy a few pairs a week.   

I once joked with the vendor that, if I bought enough earrings, I'd get a whole puzzle.  We both had a little chuckle about that but another woman who was shopping informed me, in a pitying tone, that,
'Honey, these pieces don't all come from the same puzzle'.   

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15916 on: May 04, 2014, 02:59:36 PM »
We have had lots of problems in Florida with drivers hitting law enforcement officers and cars that already are involved in a traffic stop or an accident investigation.

Three years ago, the state passed a law called the "Move Over" Law. It requires all motorists to move over one lane from the emergency vehicle or to slow down to ten miles below the limit if they can't (a 2-lane road).

Yesterday, there was a crash on I-95 and the Florida Highway Patrol Trooper and the two drivers involved were all on the side of the road and a driver hit them, killing all three. The trooper was a 30-year-old mom of one.  :'(

Adelaide

« Reply #15917 on: May 04, 2014, 03:14:30 PM »
I think you'll all agree with me on this: https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7921038080/h206CF986/

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #15918 on: May 04, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »
We have had lots of problems in Florida with drivers hitting law enforcement officers and cars that already are involved in a traffic stop or an accident investigation.

Three years ago, the state passed a law called the "Move Over" Law. It requires all motorists to move over one lane from the emergency vehicle or to slow down to ten miles below the limit if they can't (a 2-lane road).

Yesterday, there was a crash on I-95 and the Florida Highway Patrol Trooper and the two drivers involved were all on the side of the road and a driver hit them, killing all three. The trooper was a 30-year-old mom of one.  :'(
Same law here - even made snopes because people didn't believe the law was real. I've even had people honk at me to speed up, when I drop down to the proper speed to pass the emergency vehicles.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/moveover.asp
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15919 on: May 04, 2014, 04:55:14 PM »

Same law here - even made snopes because people didn't believe the law was real. I've even had people honk at me to speed up, when I drop down to the proper speed to pass the emergency vehicles.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/moveover.asp

It is also the law here in Ontario.  If I can move over a lane easily, I do that.  If I can't, I slow down to less than speed limit while going by.  I've had several people tailgate me during this, indicating that they clearly don't know the law.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #15920 on: May 04, 2014, 06:23:28 PM »
Here in MD, there are large signs on the major interstates regarding the law.  The SHA also puts notices on the electronic billboards from time to time to make sure people know to slow down or move over. 

alkira6

« Reply #15921 on: May 04, 2014, 06:28:20 PM »
When people don't get innocent and obvious jokes. 

Some years ago, a co-op parking garage was started in our neighborhood.  The idea was that you'd 'buy' a parking space and then pay a monthly maintenance fee.  At the same time, rents and prices of co-ops or condos were going through the roof. 

One evening, when out with friends, I quipped that it might be a good idea to buy a parking space, a good-sized RV and move into the garage.  Of course, I wasn't serious but one of the other women in our group went ballistic.  I was quite loudly informed that to do such a thing would be totally illegal.  The information was delivered with great sighing and rolling of her eyes at my stupidity.

There is also a street vendor who has sells nice earrings at a reasonable price.  The pairs are
mounted on pieces of jigsaw puzzles. When I was working, I'd buy a few pairs a week.   

I once joked with the vendor that, if I bought enough earrings, I'd get a whole puzzle.  We both had a little chuckle about that but another woman who was shopping informed me, in a pitying tone, that,
'Honey, these pieces don't all come from the same puzzle'.

This.  Absolutely this.  I have had to literally stop a couple of people in mid rant and tell them to calm down - we obviously don't have the same kind of sense of humor and they obviously have severely underestimated my intelligence if they thought that I was serious.  The laughter of myself and others should have tipped you off.  ::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15922 on: May 04, 2014, 07:34:19 PM »
In Florida, there are large signs reminding drivers, but we have lost way too many people due to crossover drivers hitting them.  >:(

Elisabunny

« Reply #15923 on: May 04, 2014, 08:45:05 PM »
Idaho also has a move over law.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #15924 on: May 04, 2014, 11:22:55 PM »
I think you'll all agree with me on this: https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7921038080/h206CF986/

Cleaning Gatorade off my computer monitor drives me up the wall. In this case it was worth it!

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15925 on: May 05, 2014, 09:30:31 AM »
Disappearing remotes. I swear my children don't seem to get the concept of the remote control. Half the time they'll put it on top of the device it's meant to operate.  Or it goes missing entirely.

Middle Pirate was watching Netflix this morning and then when he left, the remote for the Amazon Fire Tv disappeared too, so until I find it, I can't watch anything on it. Grr.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15926 on: May 05, 2014, 09:34:17 AM »
Half the time they'll put it on top of the device it's meant to operate.

This is actually a good policy when there are multiple remote control operators in a household.  At least you can find it!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #15927 on: May 05, 2014, 09:45:03 AM »
Half the time they'll put it on top of the device it's meant to operate.

This is actually a good policy when there are multiple remote control operators in a household.  At least you can find it!

Yes, it's definitely better than hiding it or taking it to another room entirely!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15928 on: May 05, 2014, 09:53:07 AM »
When they're not in use, yes, but the children will use it to start a movie then sit down, leaving the blu-ray remote on top of the player.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #15929 on: May 05, 2014, 11:15:15 AM »
The "Today's my birthday, and I turned 29 - for the nth time!" jokes.    My friend did that for his wife this morning ("Happy 29th birthday to my wife, wink-wink!").    (She's actually 41.)  That, and when they assume that everyone feels the same way about getting older.  I'm turning 50 this year, and I've already gotten some "time to start lying about your age" jokes.