Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1732234 times)

Adelaide

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15930 on: May 05, 2014, 12:30:46 PM »
^I'm already starting to get sick of attorney jokes. All the "Uh-oh, better not mess with you" or "Have you heard the one about the lawyers going over a cliff in a bus?"

My favorite are all of the people who think I can just fall in to a six-or-seven-figure job, as if we're on some assembly line that spits us out into the corporate world right after leaving school. "Oh, you wanna be rich, huh?" or "You're gonna make bank, I don't know what you're worried about". A lot of these people then feel the need to say something about how they're not rich because of x, y, z, or they "couldn't put themselves through that". Thanks for the overshare.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15931 on: May 05, 2014, 12:32:45 PM »
I've been told I should lie about my age since I turned 30. No.

turtleIScream

« Reply #15932 on: May 05, 2014, 12:41:02 PM »
People who are completely oblivious, and suggest a course of action that is not possible. A friend of mine posted on Facebook that they have 4 kittens free to a good home. Someone dropped them off on their driveway, but her husband is highly allergic. She's been caring for them in the garage until they can place them all, but that of course is not a good long-term plan. She has friends posting stuff like , "aww, let the kids keep them; every kid needs a pet!" What part of highly allergic do these people not understand?!

Shalamar

« Reply #15933 on: May 05, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »
That reminds me in a way of when I was working for IBM, and my supervisor wanted to send me out of town for an assignment that was going to take months to complete.  When I said "But I'll be away from my husband and small children," she said airily "Take them with you!  It'll be an adventure!"

Sure.  Uproot my entire family, take my kids away from their school and friends - no problem!  Not to mention that we had just bought a new house, and we had three cats. 

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #15934 on: May 05, 2014, 12:56:12 PM »

Ugh! I turn 30 this year, and I hate the idea that I'm somehow reaching my expiration date and am going to need to start lying on a regular basis about it. I'm a human, not a bunch of bananas.

One friend did get an earful when he was griping about being directed to the 30-something singles group at his church. He wanted to hang out with the 20-somethings group because "people in their 30's aren't adventurous, they're all just conformed to society." FTR, he's 35.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15935 on: May 05, 2014, 01:14:57 PM »
"Conformed to society?" Puh-lease.

Since I turned 30 I frequently forget just how old I actually am.  So many times if someone were to ask how old I am I'd be saying "35...no, 36...wait, have I turned 36 yet? Let's see...2014-1978...okay yeah, 35 now, will turn 36 later this year." It's just easier to say mid 30s.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15936 on: May 05, 2014, 01:30:59 PM »
The "Today's my birthday, and I turned 29 - for the nth time!" jokes.    My friend did that for his wife this morning ("Happy 29th birthday to my wife, wink-wink!").    (She's actually 41.)  That, and when they assume that everyone feels the same way about getting older.  I'm turning 50 this year, and I've already gotten some "time to start lying about your age" jokes. 

Ugh! I turn 30 this year, and I hate the idea that I'm somehow reaching my expiration date and am going to need to start lying on a regular basis about it. I'm a human, not a bunch of bananas.

One friend did get an earful when he was griping about being directed to the 30-something singles group at his church. He wanted to hang out with the 20-somethings group because "people in their 30's aren't adventurous, they're all just conformed to society." FTR, he's 35.

Our kids carry it one step further! The Happy Birthday song for our daughter this year was "Happy 16th anniversary of you 29th birthday to you........". They leave us out of it, though we have put all 60 candles on the birthday cake rather than one for each decade.

Now that I think about it, it doesn't really drive me up the wall. Parents can be more tolerant, I guess.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15937 on: May 05, 2014, 03:03:51 PM »
We bought a GPS in March of 2011 with lifetime map updates.

I updated it this morning and got a notice the there is no room in the device for the new maps, even with replacing the old ones.

Sigh. I don't think this is really a scam or a bait and switch because we didn't pay any more for 2011 unit than we had for the previous which we were supposed to buy updates for, and they gave me 3 solutions, only one of which cost $ - getting a mini card to attach to the card slot on the unit.

With all the growth in the USA and new technology, I can almost see it, but gosh! it's frustrating to think we have something that will last us 10 more years (the rest of our independent traveling lifetime, probably) and just lose that little advantage.

nuit93

« Reply #15938 on: May 05, 2014, 04:26:18 PM »

Confession:  I did this once to see if anyone would believe me (I'm 32 but very deadpanly answered 27 in a casual conversation).

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #15939 on: May 05, 2014, 04:40:34 PM »

I'm 30 and people still think I'm in college. The most disgusting are the men who offer to "help" me with my expenses since I'm obviously still in college and too stupid to understand.  And then they turn right back around and ask me out on a regular date anyway. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15940 on: May 05, 2014, 04:57:09 PM »
I'm 45, work at a college and am a year away from my undergrad degree. Of course, I am married to the man I've been with for 20 years and have a 15 year old DS, so I am not a traditional student.  ;)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #15941 on: May 05, 2014, 10:14:03 PM »
I don't mind being taken for a college student, I will never complain about looking younger :D

I do mind the assumption that based on my age I'd be willing to prostitute myself out for the attention of a man.

kckgirl

« Reply #15942 on: May 06, 2014, 05:49:23 AM »
Disappearing remotes. I swear my children don't seem to get the concept of the remote control. Half the time they'll put it on top of the device it's meant to operate.  Or it goes missing entirely.

Middle Pirate was watching Netflix this morning and then when he left, the remote for the Amazon Fire Tv disappeared too, so until I find it, I can't watch anything on it. Grr.

I don't really care if I have to get up to change channels, but I really dislike having to stand there pushing the up or down button and waiting for it to run through all the channels between the one it's already on and the one I want. Now, with the digital adapters for our older televisions, I cannot even do that. Without the remote, you cannot change channels.

My son was once the last one watching television at our house, then left to go to the mall. Later that day, I wanted to watch something and couldn't find the remote anywhere. I called to ask him where he put it only to find out that it was in his pocket, ten miles away. He did it more than once, and I wasn't so nice about it the next time.
Maryland

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #15943 on: May 06, 2014, 06:23:55 AM »
I hate that almost all controls for devices such as TV, DVD player etc are now on the remote only and the device itself has just a couple of buttons.  If you lose the remote or it breaks, the device becomes useless.  Arrrrgggghhhh!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15944 on: May 06, 2014, 06:45:50 AM »
Me too.  Our blu-ray has a stop and play button, but that does you no good if you can't find your dvd and get one of those dvds that want to know which language you wish to watch it in, as pushing play doesn't work.

We did find the remote.  Child had hid it from his little brother by hiding it. When he got home from school I told him if he's going to hide it, he could at least tell me where before he runs off in the morning.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata