Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1693526 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15960 on: May 07, 2014, 10:52:51 AM »
I must have posted this a zillion pages ago but the fact that one has to shred every piece of paper one gets these days is getting on my last nerve.

I'm going out to buy a new shredder today because I have too much paper I've been afraid to toss.

GreenHall

« Reply #15961 on: May 07, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »
I must have posted this a zillion pages ago but the fact that one has to shred every piece of paper one gets these days is getting on my last nerve.

I'm going out to buy a new shredder today because I have too much paper I've been afraid to toss.
That and I always find out about community safety (or whatever) free shredding events AFTER the fact.

nayberry

« Reply #15962 on: May 07, 2014, 12:32:19 PM »

That and I always find out about community safety (or whatever) free shredding events AFTER the fact.

and that is why i love having an open fire, stuff gets ripped up and used for kindling base.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15963 on: May 07, 2014, 12:57:17 PM »
Going through my son's room to do the cleaning he's insisted is "impossible" only to find that much of what is on his floor is either trash or clothes.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15964 on: May 07, 2014, 01:54:15 PM »
Pedestrians, cyclists, mopeds on highways marked as only for vehicles able to travel in excess of 55 mph. I call our state patrol's hotline every time and they get removed from the road.

People who don't keep track of office supplies such as custom stamps provided to them when they start performing a specific duty, then complain that they don't have them. Each stamp costs between $40 - 75 and now I am being required to institute an inventory program for all locations. They will be responsible for replacing stamps after next week.

People who feel it is necessary to apply enough perfume that you can smell their location minutes later. Not appropriate for a professional environment.

Women who wear heels that are so high they can barely walk in them. If you can and do, then good for you, but the one I held the door for was teetering and taking mincing steps.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15965 on: May 07, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »
When people tell you "Oh sorry I haven't gotten back to you about getting together but I've just been so BUSY!" and then you see them posting inane things on fbook and talking about going to do things with other friends. 

This is a person I have known since I was two and honestly it doesn't really even surprise me as she's been flaky for a long time.  When she talked about wanting to get together before she moved I thought "yeah this really isn't going to happen" Though I'll admit a part of me kind of wanted to.  I mean we've known each other since we were two and while we've grown apart I do still care about her and want her to do well and it would be nice to see each other again but I'm not counting on it.

But really, if you have the time to have a thread of 10+ comments on fbook, you have the time to chat with a friend on the phone.  Or at least send a PM, ya know?  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Adelaide

« Reply #15966 on: May 07, 2014, 11:59:03 PM »
My grandma has diabetes. It's her fault. She barely moves. Recently she thought she was going to have to have a toe amputated and magically, she doesn't have to. She's 88 now and I have no idea how she's lived this long. I'm glad she's still with us but at the same time there are no consequences for her bad decisions. She refuses to go into assisted living and is always falling. Last week the fire department had to kick her door down and get her off of the floor. My parents are always getting calls in the middle of the night about her. She won't go to physical therapy and makes her doctors mad. Her stubbornness irritates me. I always see things like "Well, she's XX years old, no changing her now" but my grandmother has a limited income and her stubbornness causes a LOT of stress on my parents and they then snap at me. I'm not a big fan.

I also hate when people say "this is a picture of me" on a chat or message board. And then I look it up and lo and behold, it's not. But I think it's weird that they'll always have a backstory for it, or where it was taken, or want to know if "this dress makes me look fat" or something.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #15967 on: May 08, 2014, 12:38:21 AM »
Pirate, I have a whole group of friends like that. It used to hurt my feelings but I had to let it go cuz they show no signs of changing. It's been at least a year since I've heard from several of them except for the time one decided to report every pic I  had of her  and her ex on fb. Yep, she reported them instead of simply messaging me and asking me to take them down.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15968 on: May 08, 2014, 07:30:35 AM »
Well, truly I'm glad that I have found other good friends who aren't nearly as flaky.  Funny thing is that my bff and I both have childhood best friends we've known our whole lives and her CBF and my CBF are so much alike. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #15969 on: May 08, 2014, 08:03:21 AM »
If you really want to impress faculty and administrative staff at your new university and in your new program? I suggest you don't pass them all in the 30 MPH zone, then not pay attention at the really short traffic light since you are looking at your phone. An unusual car, and quite easy to see who the student is.  ???

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15970 on: May 08, 2014, 10:01:22 AM »

Yes. I'm on my third in as many years. I live in an apt, so I have communal dumpsters. NOTHING with my name on it goes in there.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #15971 on: May 08, 2014, 11:12:10 AM »
Being given a pile of work not 10 minutes before I am due to leave the office.  My start and finish time are structured: I am there as early as I can be after dropping DS off at childminders.  I HAVE to collect him at 5.30 every evening.  If I do not, I will be charged.  If it happens more than 3 times, Social Services (now called Children's Protection Services) are called and it is treated as neglect or failure to collect a child.  So when I say I need to leave at 4.20pm, that is because I have to be ready to leave the door at 4.30pm to catch the bus I need into town, and then walk from that bus stop to the stop I need for the bus to get me home.  I have to get 2 buses, which takes around 1 hr and that is if there are no delays and I don't have to wait long between buses.  All I need is an accident on the roads and the buses to be delayed, and I would be late.  So to pile work on me at 4.23 annoys me slightly.  Yes, it can wait until tomorrow...why not wait until I had gone and just put it on my desk rather than stress me out at the 11th hour and make me feel almost guilty for having to leave work (having done my hours) in order to collect my child?

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15972 on: May 08, 2014, 11:37:01 AM »
The class scheduling when I was in Graduate School. 

I understood that, because the Library School students were all working full-time, classes had to be scheduled on evenings and weekends.  However, was it necessary to schedule the final exam for one course on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and the first class of the next semester on Sunday of Labor Day weekend? How about the class that scheduled a Mid-Term exam on the evening before Thanksgiving?

Before Grad School Mr. Thipu and I were in the habit of taking  trips on three day weekends  to places like Philadelphia, Baltimore or Washington DC.  My class schedule effectively knocked out two of the big three summer holiday weekends. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #15973 on: May 08, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
When people don't get innocent and obvious jokes. 

Some years ago, a co-op parking garage was started in our neighborhood.  The idea was that you'd 'buy' a parking space and then pay a monthly maintenance fee.  At the same time, rents and prices of co-ops or condos were going through the roof. 

One evening, when out with friends, I quipped that it might be a good idea to buy a parking space, a good-sized RV and move into the garage.  Of course, I wasn't serious but one of the other women in our group went ballistic.  I was quite loudly informed that to do such a thing would be totally illegal.  The information was delivered with great sighing and rolling of her eyes at my stupidity.

There is also a street vendor who has sells nice earrings at a reasonable price.  The pairs are
mounted on pieces of jigsaw puzzles. When I was working, I'd buy a few pairs a week.   

I once joked with the vendor that, if I bought enough earrings, I'd get a whole puzzle.  We both had a little chuckle about that but another woman who was shopping informed me, in a pitying tone, that,
'Honey, these pieces don't all come from the same puzzle'.

Ooh, I hate that. (and those are funny quips, btw)

On my 2nd date w/ my now-DH, we went to the aquarium. Right inside the door was the glass wall of a tank that held beluga whales. The whales were hanging out, w/ their bodies hanging down in front of that window, and right about head level was the whale's navel. A big old belly-button, just like mine (only MUCH bigger). I was so surprised! I blurted out, "Whales have navels!" (well, I know they're mammals, but I never really thought about it)
      My date thought that was so cute. He loved to tell that story. He was telling it at some party where I was being introduced to his friends; the sister of the hostess got really scornful. "Of course, they do, they're mammals." I said, "well, I know, but I just never really think about belly buttons except on primates. I never really noticed belly buttons on dogs or cats, or horses. This looked just like a person's, and I'd never been in a position to see it before."
   You'd have thought I got even more stupid, the way she went on.
    I concluded that she had decided to dislike me and make me look stupid no matter what I did, based on her superior smirk and further interactions with me. I got really, really patient, and then just stopped talking to her or looking at her.

gen xer

« Reply #15974 on: May 08, 2014, 11:47:50 AM »
 I hate being the car directly behind a minivan or an SUV.  I can't see around them and for some reason it infuriates me.  I hate that it bugs me so much because those vehicles are everywhere but it does.  It's like driving behind a brick wall.