News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 03:19:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5500123 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15960 on: May 18, 2014, 11:38:19 AM »
Also that it is perfectly legal for an adult to have other adults in the bed of a pickup while driving, but we have many fatal crashes every year from that. :(
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #15961 on: May 18, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »
Also that it is perfectly legal for an adult to have other adults in the bed of a pickup while driving, but we have many fatal crashes every year from that. :(
I used to ride in the bed of the pickup when I was a child, and wondered why my mother allowed it only VERY reluctantly, and only if I promised to sit on the floor of the bed instead of perching on the sides.  I never thought about what would happen to a passenger if the pickup was in an accident, or that an unexpected swerve could tumble a perching child off even if others were safe.

And then I got kids of my own.  Before they were old enough to do this, there was a hideous accident in our area, splashed all over local media.  10 teens were killed when the pickup they were riding in swerved off the road and wrapped around a tree.  :'( (The driver had been drinking and smoking pot.)  My kids NEVER rode in the bed of a pickup after that.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

« Reply #15962 on: May 18, 2014, 07:44:52 PM »
We had an 18 year old lose his life that way last year. I would never allow my DS or any other kids to ride in the back of a pickup.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

ArztWolf

« Reply #15963 on: May 18, 2014, 09:48:26 PM »
People singing in places were that normally does not happen. My coworker has a lovely voice, but she needs to refrain from religious songs while at work. She is the type that people on the other side of a football field could hear, without amplification.  :o We are in a small place with bad acoustics, not a good combination.

Customers who will.not.stop.talking. Not about their transaction, but about every other thing under the sun. We have to keep the line moving and these people don't get it.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #15964 on: May 19, 2014, 05:30:04 AM »

Along those lines...  I think it's completely ludicrous that seat belts are required to be worn in cars, but it's perfectly legal in this state to ride a motorcycle without a helmet (if you meet the requirements to do so).  What kind of sense does that make? I would imagine you are much more likely to be seriously injured in a motorcycle accident since there is nothing between you and the road or other vehicles.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #15965 on: May 19, 2014, 09:04:44 AM »
My insomnia is driving me CrAzY!!!    :P

ladyknight1

« Reply #15966 on: May 19, 2014, 09:09:30 AM »
There is some amount of construction work going on just above my office. They drop things. Often. Loudly. I am constantly looking to see if anything falls through the suspended ceiling.

We have people from other sites 'visiting' our office for meetings. One of them doesn't know how to print on our machines here and ended up opening and slamming shut all the paper drawers. Right next to my office. I had to shut the door, or I would have said something.

If I don't post tomorrow you will know I have been taken away by the nice young men in white coats.
-J.R.R Tolkien

carol1412

« Reply #15967 on: May 19, 2014, 03:20:26 PM »
Deer snacking on my tulips and spiderwort. They missed three tulip flowers only because they're up next to the garage behind a prickly bush, but the others are gone before they even blossom. And this is the first year they've chowed down on the spiderwort. Sprayed that yesterday, but the damage is already done.  >:(

magicdomino

« Reply #15968 on: May 19, 2014, 04:21:52 PM »
Deer snacking on my tulips and spiderwort. They missed three tulip flowers only because they're up next to the garage behind a prickly bush, but the others are gone before they even blossom. And this is the first year they've chowed down on the spiderwort. Sprayed that yesterday, but the damage is already done.  >:(

Wait, the deer ate spiderwort?  I have that all over the place, and thought it was safe.  Tulips, well, everything eats tulips, so that's no surprise.  I switched to daffodils some time ago. 

And while we are on the subject of deer driving one up the wall, I thought deer loved to eat ivy.  I've seen English Ivy on lists of favorite deer food plants.  Yet mine remains totally untouched, even while last year's mini-herd of three bucks were polishing off the tomatoes, beans, hostas and lilies.  This is annoying.  I despise ivy.  I especially despise ivy that is unharmed by either Round-up or deer, comes back from even the slightest root, and can consume up to 6 feet of my yard in a year.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #15969 on: May 19, 2014, 04:50:40 PM »
Misspelled words on packaging!  Lovely little ice cream maker in its box, with SHERBERT proudly printed on the side.   >:(

Mary Lennox

« Reply #15970 on: May 19, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »
Misspelled words on packaging!  Lovely little ice cream maker in its box, with SHERBERT proudly printed on the side.   >:(

This isn't a misspelling, sherbert is an alternative spelling for sherbet.

Luci

« Reply #15971 on: May 19, 2014, 05:18:58 PM »

This isn't a misspelling, sherbert is an alternative spelling for sherbet.

Oh, dear! Mary is correct! I looked it up online.

Then I went to my 1961 Merriam-Webster that I took to college and the 1984 New World and it's not in either!

Evolving language!

ladyknight1

« Reply #15972 on: May 19, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »
That may be a regionally accepted spelling, because I have never seen that.
-J.R.R Tolkien

Mary Lennox

« Reply #15973 on: May 19, 2014, 05:30:33 PM »
I just googled "Sherbert" and the first hit was Wikipedia, stating it was an alternative spelling and then I tried dictionary.com and it came up as well. It may not be widely used, but it's regional enough to make it onto at least those two sites.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #15974 on: May 19, 2014, 05:36:21 PM »
Ughhhhhhhh.  Is that language evolution or just giving up and allowing it since it's so hard to fight it?  Still drives me up a wall.