Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1637709 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15975 on: May 08, 2014, 12:10:46 PM »
Reminds me of my very-literal (and annoying for other reasons) old housemate.

I don't know how many of you have heard the rhetorical question, "Why don't you ever see baby pigeons?" along with jokes we sometimes tell children about how pigeons reproduce without having babies (and I just had a giggle Googling it).  I am well aware, and was at the time, that baby pigeons stay in the nest until they look lke adults.

So I said to my housemate, "Hey, I saw a baby pigeon today.  It turns out they exist!  Ha ha ha ha ha!".  At which point he looked at me pityingly and said, "Of course they do.  Are you stupid?"
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:32:39 PM by RingTailedLemur »

Shalamar

« Reply #15976 on: May 08, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »
I once repeated an old joke to a classmate about how Hamlet was all right and all, but the author relied too much on famous quotations.  She looked at me blankly and said "Well, I thought it was pretty good.  I guess it's not for everybody." 

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #15977 on: May 08, 2014, 12:22:30 PM »
I once repeated an old joke to a classmate about how Hamlet was all right and all, but the author relied too much on famous quotations.  She looked at me blankly and said "Well, I thought it was pretty good.  I guess it's not for everybody."

If it makes you feel any better, I laughed :)

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #15978 on: May 08, 2014, 02:47:36 PM »
When people say "That make me feel nauseous."

It's nauseated. Nauseous means that you make other people feel sick. Gah!

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #15979 on: May 08, 2014, 03:10:34 PM »

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nauseous

I am aware that "nauseated" is the more technically correct term for feeling sick to my stomach, but I still prefer to use "nauseous" because that's what I'm used to hearing and "nauseated" sounds stilted to me. You're entitled to be bothered by it, but it's a legitimate language choice.  :)
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #15980 on: May 08, 2014, 03:26:36 PM »
My new motherboard seems to be faulty. >:( I'm still doing troubleshooting, and I'm well within the return period, but this is annoying!
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

nayberry

« Reply #15981 on: May 08, 2014, 03:47:47 PM »

Sheldon, is that you? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyRyTUHXgsw

BeagleMommy

« Reply #15982 on: May 08, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »

If it makes you feel any better, I laughed :)

Me, too! (Says the woman who owns and wears a T-shirt covered in Shakespearan insults).

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #15983 on: May 08, 2014, 05:23:20 PM »
My husband's insistence that we're having a garage sale this weekend. He said our storage areas are full. I suggested taking things to Goodwill. No, he wants to have a garage sale. Our town's citywide garage sale is this weekend. I said I would not be helping. (We have never participated before, as it's usually over Mother's Day, and DH's birthday and my sister's birthday are also in that time period. Usually we are out of town celebrating.) He said it was OK, he would handle it. I also said I didn't want people coming on our garage (it's detached and just has a wooden door, not a storm door or anything, so would be easy to break in to.) He said OK.

Last week he brought all the tubs of old clothes downstairs. (And that's mostly what we'll have--I sold most of our larger things on Craigslist. So there'll be an older crib, and a plastic climbing toy, but no other big ticket items.) He has yet to go through them. He is borrowing tables from the club he belongs to, but it's supposed to rain this weekend and he has no canopy. He also has no signs, change, or stickers for price labels. It's supposed to start tomorrow afternoon (although I don't know what time) and go through Sunday (just how every mother wants to spend Mother's Day, watching her husband sit out on the driveway.) His assumption is that he can come home after work, casually set stuff up, and it'll be easy. Obviously he has never been to/set up a garage sale before, as people can be ruthless in re: to opening times. He's also a terrible haggler.  ::)

He did, however, pay the $10 to get on the town's garage sale map. So people will be expecting there to actually be a sale. Ugh.

Bethczar

« Reply #15984 on: May 08, 2014, 06:08:35 PM »

Sheldon, is that you? 

When I was watching that episode, I commented on it before Sheldon did. It irritates me that much.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #15985 on: May 08, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »
My husband's insistence that we're having a garage sale this weekend. He said our storage areas are full. I suggested taking things to Goodwill. No, he wants to have a garage sale. Our town's citywide garage sale is this weekend. I said I would not be helping. (We have never participated before, as it's usually over Mother's Day, and DH's birthday and my sister's birthday are also in that time period. Usually we are out of town celebrating.) He said it was OK, he would handle it. I also said I didn't want people coming on our garage (it's detached and just has a wooden door, not a storm door or anything, so would be easy to break in to.) He said OK.

Last week he brought all the tubs of old clothes downstairs. (And that's mostly what we'll have--I sold most of our larger things on Craigslist. So there'll be an older crib, and a plastic climbing toy, but no other big ticket items.) He has yet to go through them. He is borrowing tables from the club he belongs to, but it's supposed to rain this weekend and he has no canopy. He also has no signs, change, or stickers for price labels. It's supposed to start tomorrow afternoon (although I don't know what time) and go through Sunday (just how every mother wants to spend Mother's Day, watching her husband sit out on the driveway.) His assumption is that he can come home after work, casually set stuff up, and it'll be easy. Obviously he has never been to/set up a garage sale before, as people can be ruthless in re: to opening times. He's also a terrible haggler.  ::)

He did, however, pay the $10 to get on the town's garage sale map. So people will be expecting there to actually be a sale. Ugh.

Find something fun to do away from the house.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #15986 on: May 08, 2014, 06:29:27 PM »

These terms have been flipping back and forth in meaning for years.

There's even a whole usage discussion in my dictionary of choice.

http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com/unabridged/nauseous

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #15987 on: May 08, 2014, 07:06:35 PM »

Find something fun to do away from the house.

Oh, I will be! (Especially as I just found out he doesn't have any plans for Mother's Day. I would have thought he learned after last year when he did absolutely nothing...although he did get me a gift he says, so there's that.)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15988 on: May 08, 2014, 10:29:03 PM »

That bothers me, too, and it's misused about 90% of the time....even by people who should know better (journalists, etc.).

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #15989 on: May 08, 2014, 10:30:32 PM »

Sheldon, is that you? 

I couldn't get the video to work.  :-\