News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 10:45:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5495279 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15975 on: May 19, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »
I agree. I had a similar argument with a family member over the use of "poisonous" when describing venomous snakes. Apparently that is accepted usage in exams because it is a regional variation.

I had to drop the rope as that is a major pet peeve of mine.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Mental Magpie

« Reply #15976 on: May 19, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
I agree. I had a similar argument with a family member over the use of "poisonous" when describing venomous snakes. Apparently that is accepted usage in exams because it is a regional variation.

Uh, no.  I'll help you hold that rope; they are two completely different things.

ladyknight1

« Reply #15977 on: May 19, 2014, 05:48:36 PM »
What was worse is that the poster became defensive, even though I was gentle as possible. Sigh.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Luci

« Reply #15978 on: May 19, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »
Ughhhhhhhh.  Is that language evolution or just giving up and allowing it since it's so hard to fight it?  Still drives me up a wall.

What's the difference? Language is driven by usage, not the other way around as I have seen.

I must give up on "invite" used as a noun and that there is little or no distinction between "less" and "fewer", for example.

Because of computers, I have had to relearn lots of things for typing format: for example, single space after a period and a dash as a punctuation is entered as " - " rather than "--".

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #15979 on: May 19, 2014, 06:30:16 PM »
Ughhhhhhhh.  Is that language evolution or just giving up and allowing it since it's so hard to fight it?  Still drives me up a wall.
I must give up on "invite" used as a noun and that there is little or no distinction between "less" and "fewer", for example.

"Invite" has been a noun for at least a couple of centuries. It's not new.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Luci

« Reply #15980 on: May 19, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »

Not in my dictionaries - I don't have an unabridged.

This whole discussion, including this point, would make and interesting subject for a thesis, I  think.

nayberry

« Reply #15981 on: May 19, 2014, 07:13:37 PM »

Uh, no.  I'll help you hold that rope; they are two completely different things.

+1 to holding rope. I've never heard of it being a regional variation, especially as they have completely different meanings
baby berry arrived june 2016

PastryGoddess

« Reply #15982 on: May 19, 2014, 07:32:40 PM »

Not in my dictionaries - I don't have an unabridged.

This whole discussion, including this point, would make and interesting subject for a thesis, I  think.

It's been used as a noun since at least the 1700's.  Definitely since the late 1800's  I have an Oxford english dictionary and it's in there as noun.  I think I also have one from the 60's somewhere in my boxes. 

Luci

« Reply #15983 on: May 19, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »
^^
I had honestly never heard "invite" used as a noun until I came here, noticed that some of the etiquette link given were using it that way as well as posters, and, as I said, my collegiate dictionaries from the 1960s do not use it that way. If you have found other sources, that's the way it is, and it's a good thing I never really corrected anyone until now, but mostly because "everybody" seemed to be doing I!  :).

Thanks.

Betelnut

« Reply #15984 on: May 19, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »
Argh!  My daughter requested an "Elsa" doll tonight so I was looking online for one.  I thought there would be a wide variety from the cheapo to the expensive.  Bad luck as I guess Disney/Mattel are really taking advantage of the current Frozen frenzy.  I couldn't find a reasonably priced one.  We're taking 40-50 bucks for, essentially, a Barbie doll (via Disney).

Annoying.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #15985 on: May 20, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »
Argh!  My daughter requested an "Elsa" doll tonight so I was looking online for one.  I thought there would be a wide variety from the cheapo to the expensive.  Bad luck as I guess Disney/Mattel are really taking advantage of the current Frozen frenzy.  I couldn't find a reasonably priced one.  We're taking 40-50 bucks for, essentially, a Barbie doll (via Disney).

Annoying.

But there are 8 billion Anna dolls. It's ridiculous.

We went to a birthday party a couple weeks ago and somehow one of the moms was able to find the birthday girl both the Anna and the matching Elsa doll. There were kindergartener fights over it/tattling over the birthday girl "not sharing." Worst. Party. Gift. Ever. (Except for the birthday girl of course.)

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #15986 on: May 20, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »

We went to a birthday party a couple weeks ago and somehow one of the moms was able to find the birthday girl both the Anna and the matching Elsa doll. There were kindergartener fights over it/tattling over the birthday girl "not sharing." Worst. Party. Gift. Ever. (Except for the birthday girl of course.)

Next time someone posts a complaint about kids not opening gifts at their birthday party, you should bring this up.  :-\

ladyknight1

« Reply #15987 on: May 20, 2014, 01:12:53 PM »
Vague requests, particularly vague questions about work done over 5 weeks ago. I honestly don't remember!
-J.R.R Tolkien

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #15988 on: May 20, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
My local grocery store has a cork board near the entrance where people can post flyers.  It's mostly small business and personal sale types stuff (not MLMs, but people selling their appliances and yard implements).  Someone posted a "free to a good home" for their dog.  The flyer said that they got a cat, and the dog doesn't like the cat, so they're rehoming the dog.  It made me so mad, because the wording on the flyer makes it clear to me that the dog was in the home first.  Rehome the cat!!

I'm sure that there could be reasons that they'd want to keep the cat instead, but honestly, just don't write that on the flyer.  Just put that you can't keep him and leave it at that.

jaxsue

« Reply #15989 on: May 20, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »

IMHO, sometimes it's throwing up your hands and surrendering. I don't like it, either.  :-\