Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1782042 times)

Adelaide

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #15990 on: May 08, 2014, 11:52:58 PM »
Whenever someone asks me how I'm doing, I tell them that I'm doing well. When I ask it back to be polite, a lot of people will  get a look on their face as if I'm some sort of snob and answer while putting an emphasis on good.

nayberry

« Reply #15991 on: May 09, 2014, 06:19:38 AM »
When people say "That make me feel nauseous."

It's nauseated. Nauseous means that you make other people feel sick. Gah!

Sheldon, is that you? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyRyTUHXgsw

I couldn't get the video to work.  :-\

try hulu unblocker add on,   

Mal

« Reply #15992 on: May 09, 2014, 06:35:09 AM »
Whenever someone asks me how I'm doing, I tell them that I'm doing well. When I ask it back to be polite, a lot of people will  get a look on their face as if I'm some sort of snob and answer while putting an emphasis on good.

What if they work in charity? Then their phrasing might actually be valid ;)

turtleIScream

« Reply #15993 on: May 09, 2014, 07:32:05 AM »

:D
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Adelaide

« Reply #15994 on: May 09, 2014, 09:33:05 AM »

:D

I'm asking how they're doing, not what they're doing. :P

audhs

« Reply #15995 on: May 09, 2014, 09:57:48 AM »

I had a bible school instructor who if you answered good to how are you would deadpan reply "no one is good but God".  In reference to the bible verse  :
 Luke 18:19   "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.

Shalamar

« Reply #15996 on: May 09, 2014, 11:25:01 AM »
Speaking of garage sales, it drives me up the wall when I give away a bunch of our stuff and my daughter yelps "Why are you just giving it away?  You should sell it!"

Sure, except that (a) I don't feel like taking the time just to make a few bucks and (b) people around here are CHEAP.  If you're asking more than $2 for a brand-new, never-worn sweater, you'll get an argument.  No thanks.  I'd rather that Canadian Diabetes or some other "clothesline" charity reaped the rewards.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #15997 on: May 09, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »

I had a bible school instructor who if you answered good to how are you would deadpan reply "no one is good but God".  In reference to the bible verse  :
 Luke 18:19   "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.

To thoroughly confuse things: memory fetches up a (possibly mis-recalled) quote from Tom Lehrer's mock-gooey-sentimental-feel-good song, "The Old Dope Peddler" -- which character is told of as

"...doing good while doing well;
For today's innocent faces
Are tomorrow's clientele."

sweet_basil

« Reply #15998 on: May 09, 2014, 11:38:46 AM »
Whenever I tell someone "thank you" and they respond "No, thank YOU!" (extra emphasis on the you) Why are you thanking me? For curing you of your boredom? For making you feel needed? For the record, I'm not in the military, so this isn't a "I'm honored to help a solider and thank you for serving" thing.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #15999 on: May 09, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »
Speaking of garage sales, it drives me up the wall when I give away a bunch of our stuff and my daughter yelps "Why are you just giving it away?  You should sell it!"

Sure, except that (a) I don't feel like taking the time just to make a few bucks and (b) people around here are CHEAP.  If you're asking more than $2 for a brand-new, never-worn sweater, you'll get an argument.  No thanks.  I'd rather that Canadian Diabetes or some other "clothesline" charity reaped the rewards.

I'm the same.  Selling stuff can be a real hassle, so unless there is likely to be lots of money involved I prefer to just take things to the charity shop.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16000 on: May 09, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »
Whenever I tell someone "thank you" and they respond "No, thank YOU!" (extra emphasis on the you) Why are you thanking me? For curing you of your boredom? For making you feel needed? For the record, I'm not in the military, so this isn't a "I'm honored to help a solider and thank you for serving" thing.

I worked in customer service too long and I sometimes reflexively thank people when they haven't done anything for me.  ;D

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #16001 on: May 09, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »
I thank ATMs.

I also say "bless you" when animals sneeze.  I'm probably beyond help.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16002 on: May 09, 2014, 12:18:20 PM »
I thank ATMs.

I also say "bless you" when animals sneeze.  I'm probably beyond help.

I excuse myself if I burp in front of animals.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16003 on: May 09, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »

I'm the same.  Selling stuff can be a real hassle, so unless there is likely to be lots of money involved I prefer to just take things to the charity shop.

It's a lot of work and its often the things you will sell for the least amount that take the most time.  ie dusting off that old dresser I can sell for $15-50 worth the 10 minutes but re washing , checking for stains/holes 20 onesies  , folding , pricing (and re folding every time someone looks at them) I can sell for 50 cents each not so much. You have to have the right balance of stuff and how it was stored for a garage sale to make sense. 3 bags of baby clothes might be worth selling on craigslist but I wouldn't have a garage sale for it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16004 on: May 09, 2014, 12:54:30 PM »
When I want to get cash back from the grocery store self-help register and when it prompts "Do you want cash back?" I hit yes. Then it asks the amount and it never fails, I seem to always hit "NONE"! GAH!!!!!!!!!!!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata