Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1625409 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16005 on: May 09, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »
I left my wallet at the coffee shop by my house.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16006 on: May 09, 2014, 01:17:53 PM »
Speaking of garage sales, it drives me up the wall when I give away a bunch of our stuff and my daughter yelps "Why are you just giving it away?  You should sell it!"

Sure, except that (a) I don't feel like taking the time just to make a few bucks and (b) people around here are CHEAP.  If you're asking more than $2 for a brand-new, never-worn sweater, you'll get an argument.  No thanks.  I'd rather that Canadian Diabetes or some other "clothesline" charity reaped the rewards.

I have a religious philosophy that forbids selling that kind of stuff. If the Old Testament would carry weight with her, quote this verse: Leviticus 19: 9-10.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #16007 on: May 09, 2014, 01:20:16 PM »
A brand of barefoot shoe just settled a lawsuit re: claims they made about their shoes. Some people may be entitled to a refund.

Multiple stories have shown up on my Facebook feed, with both the article writers and the commenters smugly saying, "I knew these were crap. And they're ugly and for hipsters. Great way to never get a date. Yuck. Tacky."

I happen to own two pairs of these shoes, and my husband does too. They are the comfiest shoe I own--I wear them whenever I have to walk or stand all day, and my feet always feel way better at the end of the day than they would have if I had worn traditional shoes. My husband used his for running, but found that beyond the ~12K range his calves just couldn't keep up. But he still wears his for short distances, and around the house.

So what if you think they're ugly. Some people really like theirs. There's no need to make unnecessary derogatory statements about them. They're like everything else--try them if you want, and if they work great, and if not then move on.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #16008 on: May 09, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »
Speaking of garage sales, it drives me up the wall when I give away a bunch of our stuff and my daughter yelps "Why are you just giving it away?  You should sell it!"

Sure, except that (a) I don't feel like taking the time just to make a few bucks and (b) people around here are CHEAP.  If you're asking more than $2 for a brand-new, never-worn sweater, you'll get an argument.  No thanks.  I'd rather that Canadian Diabetes or some other "clothesline" charity reaped the rewards.

I thought that was my husband's motive--until I caught him severely underpricing several of our larger items. (And I'm probably overpricing them, but honesty, I'm not in any big hurry to get rid of them!  If someone wants to pay us $75 for that thing that cost us $150, that's great. If they think that's too expensive, I'm perfectly OK with it going back in the basement.) If you don't want to at least try to get a few bucks out of it, then why are we not just hauling all of it to Goodwill?? Ahh.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16009 on: May 09, 2014, 01:23:21 PM »
It was the same for fans of Crocs.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #16010 on: May 09, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »
I thank ATMs.

I also say "bless you" when animals sneeze.  I'm probably beyond help.

I excuse myself if I burp in front of animals.

I excuse myself if I burp alone.  :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16011 on: May 09, 2014, 01:41:29 PM »
Me too. ^

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16012 on: May 09, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »
It was the same for fans of Crocs.

And honestly I never really understood the hate for Crocs.  No, the classic style certainly isn't the most stylish of design but they're really no worse than a flip-flop.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Lynnv

« Reply #16013 on: May 09, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »
I am shopping for a new motorcycle (yay)!   I have narrowed it down to two specific models.  The number of dealers I have walked into who have tried to get me to buy something else because they think my choices are "awfully big for a gal" and the number of places where the sales guy wants to talk to DH about my new bike is appalling.  Seriously guys, look at what I rode in on and think about it before you open your mouth and lose a sale. 

Also, for the record, talking about how much you think my current bike stinks is a really bad way to sell a bike.   Since you just insulted my taste in bikes, I will probably look elsewhere for my new one.       :o
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Shalamar

« Reply #16014 on: May 09, 2014, 02:00:40 PM »
The "thank you" and "sorry" comments remind me of The Oatmeal's comic:

Movie Theatre Guy: Enjoy your movie!
The Oatmeal:  You too!  *walks away, thinking "I'm an idiot."*

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #16015 on: May 09, 2014, 02:20:28 PM »
The "thank you" and "sorry" comments remind me of The Oatmeal's comic:

Movie Theatre Guy: Enjoy your movie!
The Oatmeal:  You too!  *walks away, thinking "I'm an idiot."*

Am I the only one who responds to 'Happy Birthday' with , "Thank you, same to you."
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

missanpan

« Reply #16016 on: May 09, 2014, 03:30:24 PM »
Argh! This keeps happening! And the bad thing, it's all my own darn fault! I am buying something online and have to enter my credit card number. I pull out the card and start typing. When I look up, I discover that I didn't click inside the area where the credit card number is entered. So I have to type it in again.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16017 on: May 09, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »
Middle child has been telling me the kids at school are teasing him for wearing the same shoes every day.  ???  What in the fresh heck is wrong with that, may I ask?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

BeagleMommy

« Reply #16018 on: May 09, 2014, 04:04:57 PM »
Middle child has been telling me the kids at school are teasing him for wearing the same shoes every day.  ???  What in the fresh heck is wrong with that, may I ask?

I'd begin to wonder how many different kinds of shoes a kid that age needs?  Even at 23 DS has three:  sneakers, slipproof work shoes and snow boots.

Now me, on the other hand?  I need an intervention.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16019 on: May 09, 2014, 04:12:28 PM »
DH teases me for having too many shoes, but I really don't have many.  I have one pair of combat style boots from Target, a pair of Crocs, sneakers and a pair of Mary Janes though I barely wear them. In fact I tend to wear the same shoes every day for a while.