Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1570983 times)

Snooks

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16020 on: May 09, 2014, 04:35:55 PM »
My cat is turning her nose up at the expensive food I have a full pack of. Looks like the shelter kitties are in for a treat.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #16021 on: May 09, 2014, 05:47:49 PM »
Middle child has been telling me the kids at school are teasing him for wearing the same shoes every day.  ???  What in the fresh heck is wrong with that, may I ask?

I'd begin to wonder how many different kinds of shoes a kid that age needs?  Even at 23 DS has three:  sneakers, slipproof work shoes and snow boots.

Now me, on the other hand?  I need an intervention.

Weird indeed.   Most teenaged boys and men I know have no more than three pair of shoes. Sneakers/work shoes, one pair of good dress shoes,  and maybe a pair of flip flops or crocs.

As a woman, I admit, I'm also in need of an intervention.  ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16022 on: May 09, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »
Middle child has been telling me the kids at school are teasing him for wearing the same shoes every day.  ???  What in the fresh heck is wrong with that, may I ask?

I'd begin to wonder how many different kinds of shoes a kid that age needs?  Even at 23 DS has three:  sneakers, slipproof work shoes and snow boots.

Weird indeed.   Most teenaged boys and men I know have no more than three pair of shoes. Sneakers/work shoes, one pair of good dress shoes,  and maybe a pair of flip flops or crocs.

DH has two pairs of shoes.  One for work, one for home and his work shoes rarely have to be replaced as he frequently wears shoe covers to keep from tracking dirt into people's homes.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Adelaide

« Reply #16023 on: May 09, 2014, 09:50:31 PM »
A lot of people say "Wow, you must be really smart" when I tell them what I'm studying, but there's really no good answer for that. I like to say things like "Yeah, I learn good." as a joke, but sometimes people don't get it. I've actually had people be very condescending when they point out that the sentence makes no sense.  ::)

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #16024 on: May 09, 2014, 09:58:41 PM »
Every time I get a pedicure, I end up scratching at least one toenail and ruining the paint within a day. EVERY. DANG. TIME.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #16025 on: May 09, 2014, 10:16:45 PM »
Every time I get a pedicure, I end up scratching at least one toenail and ruining the paint within a day. EVERY. DANG. TIME.

Some places will offer to do touch-ups if you ask.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #16026 on: May 10, 2014, 08:25:49 AM »
DH and I will be attending a nearby Doctor Who convention this Friday, and can only make it the one day.  When the event was announced, the organizers emphasized pre-registering to save money, and, being thrifty people, we did.  There was only one option available--the full weekend admission--for the convention, which was a bit pricy but we were excited about attending our first ever Doctor Who con so we shrugged it off.  Heck, at least we saved some money by registering early, right?  Only to find out that after the pre-registration passed, then they announced that, hey, there are also one-day passes available, too.  Which, incidentally, cost *half as much* as we paid for our
"thrifty" admission.

Oh, the buyers' remorse.  :-\
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16027 on: May 10, 2014, 08:40:13 AM »

I am a woman, and somehow I missed the gene that causes impulsive shoe purchases.  :)  my weakness is a candle store or a bookstore.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #16028 on: May 10, 2014, 08:49:02 AM »

The same thing that happened with my college buddy's kids.  They told their parents that they were teased because their mother drove an old car.  Materialism among pre-teen kids is really disturbing.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16029 on: May 10, 2014, 09:03:56 AM »

The same thing that happened with my college buddy's kids.  They told their parents that they were teased because their mother drove an old car.  Materialism among pre-teen kids is really disturbing.

What I find quite odd is that the majority of children who attend my son's school are either at poverty level or are working class families.  I mean we're maybe lower middle class and we sure can't afford a bunch of shoes for everyone.  The only reason the littlest pirate has as many shoes as he does is because we've had so many handed down to him and he has yet to grow into them. 

*laughing* What I find really funny is when my folks spent about $60 on shoes for each of my older boys and what shoes did Middle child prefer? A pair of, as he called them at the time, "Pass me downs" and he threw the expensive shoes in the trash.  I found out in time to fish them out and clean them off but really, we don't buy anything other than Payless shoes for our boys cause I do not feel like shelling out much money for shoes they're going to be quickly outgrowing.

I'm also not a big one for purses, I must have missed that jean too. Jewelry however, that I love!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16030 on: May 10, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »
I thought of something else that drives me up the wall this morning, probably just because I read this thread this morning. When I go into housekeeping mode, I go at one speed: fast. I clean thoroughly, but I don't do one thing, then dawdle, then go back to cleaning. I do it all at once, and with purpose (probably a habit from my brief maid job and, yes, I do have a degree, it was a bad economy!).
What bugs me is when someone meanders in such a way that I have to wait for them to move. I want to get the housework done! My house is mid-century, so I don't have wide halls or huge rooms. Are they doing anything wrong? No, but it does irritate me.  :P

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16031 on: May 10, 2014, 01:45:14 PM »

I am a woman, and somehow I missed the gene that causes impulsive shoe purchases.  :)  my weakness is a candle store or a bookstore.
Books and quilt stuff here.  Shoes -- I have sneakers, sandals, and boots.  My dress-up shoes are satin slippers from Walmart, because I have searched fruitlessly over many, many days (over a period of years) to find a comfortable pump in 6.5W.  Evidently people with chubby, stubby feet aren't entitled to pretty, comfortable shoes.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #16032 on: May 11, 2014, 12:38:25 AM »
Nor are women who wear size 11.  I have one pair of women's shoes; all the rest of mine are mens' shoes, and even then I have something like 6 pairs of shoes.  I usually wear mens' sneakers, as I find the wider widths more comfortable.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #16033 on: May 11, 2014, 05:10:03 AM »
My cat is turning her nose up at the expensive food I have a full pack of. Looks like the shelter kitties are in for a treat.

Esan ozenki!

Arizona

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #16034 on: May 11, 2014, 05:20:59 AM »
It was the same for fans of Crocs.

And honestly I never really understood the hate for Crocs.  No, the classic style certainly isn't the most stylish of design but they're really no worse than a flip-flop.
That is my problem with them. Technically they are within dress code - at least the ones with some type of back. Problem is kids walk/run straight out of them.

Our playground  is called "the park" by the neighborhood. Honestly I don't have a problem with the kids playing there. We often find the evidence of kids birthday parties (pinata parts, hats and stuff in the trash cans). That is fine. Glass beer and liquor bottles smashed on the ground - that is wrong.

Last year with psyco principal he wrote up a teacher for "Allowing a student to run barefoot on the playground resulting in injures requiring stitches" Kid had been running in crocs - ran straight out of them onto some glass. Short of being telekenetic there was nothing the teacher could have done to stop the kid.

It was so bad last year that my team took out a box and gathered up broken bottles/glass. Then would dump the box in the teacher's lounge trash. Got in trouble for that because head of elementary ed noticed broken beer bottles in the trash.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future