Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1649184 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16125 on: May 16, 2014, 12:31:14 PM »
Someone keeps adjusting my new chair after I have closed and locked my office. I just might leave the web cam on to see who it is.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #16126 on: May 16, 2014, 01:18:34 PM »
It's a small thing, but ...

In the restroom at work, there are four sinks in a row, and there are paper towel dispensers at each end (so there are two sinks that are not next to the papertowels--why, I have no clue, but that's not the currently annoying thing).  My preferred sink is the one with the papertowel dispenser just to my right (I don't know why, but turning right for the paper towels seems more natural than turning left). 

So I go in, and head to the sink to wash my hands.  The sink gives one little spurt of water (like just barely enough to wet your hands) and quits.  This sink does it randomly, and no amount of hand waving in front of the "seeing eye" (it's no-touch) will make it work, so you have to go to the next sink.  Most of the time, it works right, but it is really annoying when it doesn't.

lilfox

« Reply #16127 on: May 16, 2014, 07:37:01 PM »
Oh, annoying work bathroom issues!

In all Company buildings, there are signs all over in each restroom describing how to conserve paper towels and water and the best way to wash hands, etc.  The restroom closest to my desk has paper towel machines set to 'conservation mode', according to posted signs.  This means it will only unscroll about 5 inches of paper towel per hand wave (it's touchless, though neither the sinks nor toilets are).  Since the paper towels are not very absorbent, this is usually not sufficient, so we have to stand there for an extra few seconds until the sensor resets and allows another hand wave and another 5 inches of paper.  This is assuming the paper towel machines are working at all - they get jammed a LOT.  Why is it when the machines don't work, we're the ones who feel foolish waving our hands around and getting no response??

The kicker is, every other Company restroom I've been in dispenses more than twice that amount of paper in a single transaction.  Only my local restroom restricts paper towels. ::)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16128 on: May 16, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »
When people don't pay attention to traffic lights, either by straight out driving through a light when it's red or not driving when it turns green.  A moving vehicle is not the place to balance your checkbook, try to find that book you think dropped in the backseat two months ago, write out your shopping list, etc!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16129 on: May 16, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »
DH and I will be attending a nearby Doctor Who convention this Friday, and can only make it the one day.  When the event was announced, the organizers emphasized pre-registering to save money, and, being thrifty people, we did.  There was only one option available--the full weekend admission--for the convention, which was a bit pricy but we were excited about attending our first ever Doctor Who con so we shrugged it off.  Heck, at least we saved some money by registering early, right?  Only to find out that after the pre-registration passed, then they announced that, hey, there are also one-day passes available, too.  Which, incidentally, cost *half as much* as we paid for our
"thrifty" admission.

Oh, the buyers' remorse.  :-\

Chiming in late to say--I think you should complain to the organizers.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16130 on: May 16, 2014, 10:45:27 PM »
The fact that constant misspellings or misuse of homonyms (e.g., your, you're) are so commonplace that I have recently found myself accidentally typing one when I know better.  It's a good thing I check previews before posting.

Venus, i think this is age-related, or something. Not necessarily chronological age, though.

I hit a stage at which I would type the wrong "they're/there/their." I would say to myself, "t h e i r," slowly, typing letter by letter--then look at the screen and see "they're."

It lasted a long time. I did go away eventually.

But it scared me; I thought I had neurological damage. (I think it was as bad as it was *because* I'm a really fast touch typist. The "needle" would slide into the wrong "groove.")

And a friend of mine mentioned on Facebook that this is happening to her as well.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16131 on: May 16, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »
The fact that constant misspellings or misuse of homonyms (e.g., your, you're) are so commonplace that I have recently found myself accidentally typing one when I know better.  It's a good thing I check previews before posting.

Venus, i think this is age-related, or something. Not necessarily chronological age, though.

I hit a stage at which I would type the wrong "they're/there/their." I would say to myself, "t h e i r," slowly, typing letter by letter--then look at the screen and see "they're."

But it scared me; I thought I had neurological damage. (I think it was as bad as it was *because* I'm a really fast touch typist. The "needle" would slide into the wrong "groove.")

And a friend of mine mentioned on Facebook that this is happening to her as well.

Terrified Luci here! The only way I can key in "an" is "and/space/backspace/backspace/space". This has been going on for a couple of years and it really scares me! Yes, I have started losing the homonyms. For a bit, I quit using "you're" and "they're" in favor of the full words because I lost it! I am such a stickler about this, too!

Melle

« Reply #16132 on: May 17, 2014, 09:41:46 AM »
The library was open for five hours today. For me and my co-worker, who have to wrestle the 800+ customers that usually frequent the library on Saturdays, that means a continuous shift with no real breaks because our contracts only allows breaks if you work 6 hours or more.
Four and a half hours in, I was pretty worn out. So I got really peeved at people treating me like Google, coming to the desk and just barking out one or two random words, expecting me to guess if that's the author or title or whether what they're looking for is a book, a movie or a CD.
And I'll be back there Monday at 7:30. Right now, that seems impossible to bear. Need food and sleep!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16133 on: May 17, 2014, 10:15:31 AM »

I'm having this issue, too.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16134 on: May 17, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »
The library was open for five hours today. For me and my co-worker, who have to wrestle the 800+ customers that usually frequent the library on Saturdays, that means a continuous shift with no real breaks because our contracts only allows breaks if you work 6 hours or more.
Four and a half hours in, I was pretty worn out. So I got really peeved at people treating me like Google, coming to the desk and just barking out one or two random words, expecting me to guess if that's the author or title or whether what they're looking for is a book, a movie or a CD.
And I'll be back there Monday at 7:30. Right now, that seems impossible to bear. Need food and sleep!

Hugs to you because this isn't a little thing.

Five straight hours on the Ref desk could turn the most laid-back individual into a whimpering little,
tear-soaked pile of debris huddling in a corner.  Two people go serve 800 or more patrons is cruel and unusual punishment.   

Allyson

« Reply #16135 on: May 17, 2014, 12:20:04 PM »
The phrase "you can never be too careful". Especially when people use it on me to try to get me to not do things I either do, or have done, and been fine with. I do actually think you *can* be 'too careful'--if you're totally restricting your life based on something that is a very tiny possibility, that's your choice, but don't try to make it mine.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #16136 on: May 17, 2014, 12:25:53 PM »
The phrase "you can never be too careful". Especially when people use it on me to try to get me to not do things I either do, or have done, and been fine with. I do actually think you *can* be 'too careful'--if you're totally restricting your life based on something that is a very tiny possibility, that's your choice, but don't try to make it mine.

Ditto to the nth power.

I get this all the time from people who go into shock at the fact that I ride the subway after 10PM.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #16137 on: May 17, 2014, 12:35:10 PM »

Ditto to the nth power.

I get this all the time from people who go into shock at the fact that I ride the subway after 10PM.

I visited New York City twice. The second time, I kinda got turned around on Times Square and it took me a while to find my bearings. Cue my telling my mother about the funny story of how I was almost lost in NYC. Cue my mother freaking out and almost bawling me out. I'm sorry; I thought it was a funny little story. I didn't realize that getting a little lost meant you suddenly were thrown into a cage of muggers and other varieties of criminals.

Unfortunately, I didn't learn my lesson and told her that I went to see an evening performance of South Pacific alone. Again with the abject fear and lecture.

Maybe it's just because I got to go to a foreign country with limited adult supervision at 16, but I've never felt utterly unsafe in a big city, nor did I worry about the (limited) possibility of being attacked by a criminal.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Alli8098

« Reply #16138 on: May 17, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »
For me lately it's health issues with this pregnancy.

First my gallbladder freaked out and had to be removed.

Then as my belly started getting bigger all the scar tissue is being stretched out and causing severe chronic pain.  And pain treatment is limited when you are pregnant.

Now my blood pressure has started to slowly go up so I'm being tested for pre-eclampsia.

I would just like the last 9 weeks to be normal with no health issues, oh well.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #16139 on: May 17, 2014, 03:26:56 PM »
Getting nervous when I have to give negative feedback to my direct reports.  I've done this plenty of times and I'm a pretty experienced manager, but I still get butterflies in my stomach and have to take deep breaths beforehand. 

Argh!