Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1788987 times)

turtleIScream

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16350 on: June 03, 2014, 05:38:43 PM »
I hate when cashiers cut you off and give you your total when you're not done ordering.

Oh my stars, this happens to me in Burger King all the time.    Whenever I'm waiting in a long-ish line to place my order, I'm usually rehearsing it in my head so that I can rattle it off by the time it's my turn to be served - and I can always count on this happening:

Me:  I'd like a Whopper -
Cashier:  Anything else?
Me:  And large fries -
Me:  And a large drink -
Me:  No -
Cashier:  Inside or to go?
Me:  *sigh*  Inside, please.

I could understand it if I were hemming and hawing and taking my time, but don't keep interrupting me!

This drives me crazy too! I always ask for no onions on sandwiches, and without fail as I'm trying to spit out the "No onions, please" part, the cashier is asking me about sides and drinks and do I want it to go? I mean, they literally talk over me anytime I try to say anything. Then - by the end of the order, when I've said my sides and drinks and that I want to eat here, I say, "Did you get that I said I didn't want onions?" and they heave out a huge sigh and say, "Why didn't you say that before?!" I *did*. You interrupted.

I've had fast food cashiers explain that their computers only accept inputs a certain way, especially for combos. If that is true, then the computer designers have never tried to order at a FF counter. And it led to this exchange:

Me: I'd like a #1 combo, with cheese, let....
Cashier: Small, medium, or large?
Me: Medium. With cheese, lettuce...
Cashier: Fries okay with that?
Me: Yes, fries. On the burger, I want....
Cashier: And to drink?
Me: An orange soda
Cashier: OK, with or without cheese?
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16351 on: June 03, 2014, 05:45:29 PM »
I am currently driving myself up a wall!  My workplace does celebrate birthdays, typically with some flowers and baked goods of some sort (homemade or store bought).  I know this because I've helped get everything together for the last two birthdays that we've celebrated.  There's absolutely no reason that people wouldn't celebrate my birthday (coming up this Sunday), but I've had so many bad encounters from previous jobs that I've halfway convinced myself that everyone hates me and certainly won't be acknowledging me as others have been acknowledged.  It's just so ridiculous that my mind is going like this, especially when I have no proof at all that this is the case!  I know my birthday is on the updated calender, I know the person who's technically in charge of it all isn't going to forget, and yet, that's what I'm torturing myself with.  Stupid brain!

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #16352 on: June 03, 2014, 05:54:31 PM »
My friend Hillary recently (as in, two days ago) graduated from a master's degree program. She posted a thing on FB about "the perfect something to get someone". The link didn't have any images, you had to click through to see what it was about. Another friend (who I am trying to push back to an acquaintance, in part because of stuff like this),  Tammy, sends me a PM saying "can you believe Hillary. Graduated and begging for gifts on FB. so entitled".

If you clicked through the link, it was to a cute gift that was a box with the word S-O-M-E-T-H-I-N-G made out of individual chocolates & using mini-candies as "packing filler". It does NOT look like any kind of begging for a gift, as Hillary didn't even say something like "gee, I wish someone would give me this!". But Tammy recently had an argument about Hillary, so now everything Hillary does is suspect to Tammy. And Tammy likes to point out "suspect" behavior to other people.

I really don't care about the argument in the first place, but it drives me even more crazy when I know that someone is feeling crabby at someone else, so now the person they are crabby at can do no right.

And for the record, I wrote back & said "I don't think she's begging for gifts, I think she's pointing out a cool gift idea", to which Tammy replied "that's because you always think the best of people" with a little icon making a face at me. Grrrrrrrrr...

Maybe I've been reading too much Captain Awkward lately, but that sounds like "Jerk Eating Crackers" level irritation. Which is to say, she's so frustrated with Hillary that Hillary could stand on the other side of the room eating a cracker, and Tammy would be sitting there thinking: "look at her, eating crackers in the corner like a jerk. Eating her jerk crackers." etc. rabblerabblegrump

Not fun for you to listen to. But the concept always makes me giggle.

I'm going to remember that, because it makes me giggle too.  ;D

And yes, it's that level of irritation. That is how she's like with *everybody* who is gets on her bad side, but she will NOT admit it. Not ever. I have a coworker who drives me Jerk Eating Crackers level crazy, but I will be the first to acknowledge that pretty much *everything* she does drives me nuts, and do my best (when working with her) to mentally plan for that & not actually respond to her as though I feel that way.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #16353 on: June 03, 2014, 07:40:37 PM »
This was my one day this week I didn't have anything planned--however, due to having to feed a child and a husband in a timely manner, I have a very short window for doing Specific Activity. I need DD for Specific Activity. (Husband did volunteer to help with dinner, but of course DD has to be present to eat said dinner.)

I leave work on time, only to get caught up in the recent road detour, which adds 15 minutes to my already 30 minute drive. I get home, change clothes (can't of course find the pants I want to wear), grab the few things I need, rush out to the car, go to check my trunk where my footwear is stored...and the trunk won't open. After many attempts, I call DH, who says he thinks the seats fold down. I can't find them and am getting more and more frustrated. I tell DH that I will start dinner if he picks up DD from after school care.

He gets home 20 minutes later with no DD--apparently he misheard. He goes to get her, and the school doors are locked, which adds 15 minutes to his pickup time that should normally take 10 minutes.

By the time he gets home, my window has closed and it's now too late to the the Specific Activity because of dinner in the middle.

AHHH. Why do we have to eat!? (And why do we have to live in a small town with no fast food, requiring the actual making of food...)
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

mmswm

« Reply #16354 on: June 04, 2014, 12:23:21 AM »
Surgical residents. 

Let me start off by saying I totally get why they have to exist.  They're sort of a necessary evil.  But geesh, people, the patient is a real live human (and in this case a child), not a rare disease with an even more rare (and exciting!) complication.  I also totally understand why they'd be chomping at the bit to have a chance to be in the OR with this kid, but bedside manner is very, very important. Learn some.

That said, can I tell you how much I absolutely adore my son's actual surgeon?  He managed to scatter the residents in a way that reminded me of somebody rolling a bowling ball towards a flock of pigeons.  It was kinda funny.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #16355 on: June 04, 2014, 01:14:51 AM »

I've had fast food cashiers explain that their computers only accept inputs a certain way, especially for combos. If that is true, then the computer designers have never tried to order at a FF counter. And it led to this exchange:

Every fast food cash register I worked was like that. To make matters worse, sometimes I'd tell a customer "*happens to pass by behind counter* I'll go find someone to ring up your order. I'm not allowed to yet / I need the manager to log me into the system" but they'd just say "Oh that's fine. I'd like a number 10 combo, hold the cheese. Also gimme a side order of fries and a fried pie, a number 3 combo with..."  ::)

mlmama

« Reply #16356 on: June 04, 2014, 02:07:20 AM »
At Taco Bell now, when you pull up to the speaker they greet you, "Hi! Welcome to Taco Bell!" That's it. No prompt to let you know they're ready to take your order or anything. Just the greeting and nothing unless you sit there for a minute, THEN they say, "I can take your order whenever you're ready." I liked it better with, "Greeting, may I take your order." Makes me feel like less of a goofball sitting there waiting to hear if they're ready or not. (Busy finishing another order)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16357 on: June 04, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
^ Had one of those the other day, only the ordering system was broken. After the auto greeting, I sat there for 5 minutes before it dawned on me that no one would be responding.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16358 on: June 04, 2014, 12:32:09 PM »
Surgical residents. 

Let me start off by saying I totally get why they have to exist.  They're sort of a necessary evil.  But geesh, people, the patient is a real live human (and in this case a child), not a rare disease with an even more rare (and exciting!) complication.  I also totally understand why they'd be chomping at the bit to have a chance to be in the OR with this kid, but bedside manner is very, very important. Learn some.

That said, can I tell you how much I absolutely adore my son's actual surgeon?  He managed to scatter the residents in a way that reminded me of somebody rolling a bowling ball towards a flock of pigeons.  It was kinda funny.

I love your description of your son's surgeon!

I hear you on the resident thing. I fell victim (not really to bad, more annoying than anything) to an over-eager resident once. I was in the hospital, with my second bout of pancreatitis in 12 months. I also had a slight fever. But from my prior experience, this is what happens, and there is NO infection. Eager Beaver  resident decided i MUST have a chest or some other x-ray. At one in the morning. Really? So off we go, me in a wheelchair, trying to keep my IV pole with the rogue wheel from careening off into the night. I was not amused. And as it turned out, nope, no infection.

I know they mean well, and are just doing their job, but yes, some need to learn some skills.

lilfox

« Reply #16359 on: June 04, 2014, 12:51:25 PM »
Right now it's a coworker who forgot the content of a conversation that happened less than 24 hours ago.  Nothing's been done so it just ranks as a minor annoyance.

Yesterday I explained what I needed and Coworker recommended Plan A over Plan B, with his suggestion of doing Option X.  I clarify that I'm going to start lining up Plan A ASAP (there's major time pressure on this) and say Option X is part of it.  During the typical back and forth with supervisors of "Why do you need this? Why not Plan B?" I included the part where Coworker recommended Plan A and Option X.

Coworker responds with (paraphrased) "Oh, Plan B is simpler to use if we're doing Option X."

Hillia

« Reply #16360 on: June 04, 2014, 03:25:35 PM »
9 Chickweed Lane continues to escalate.  In addition to the interminable WWII storyline (that's been going on for about 6 months now), he's now putting in jokes in German....language that wouldn't make it past the censors if it were in English, and probably leaves a good number of his readers wondering exactly what's going on.  If he's trying to prove how brilliant he is compared to the idiots who read his strip, he's going to prove himself right out of a readership.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Margo

« Reply #16361 on: June 04, 2014, 03:52:32 PM »
Surgical residents. 

I love your description of your son's surgeon!

I hear you on the resident thing. I fell victim (not really to bad, more annoying than anything) to an over-eager resident once. I was in the hospital, with my second bout of pancreatitis in 12 months. I also had a slight fever. But from my prior experience, this is what happens, and there is NO infection. Eager Beaver  resident decided i MUST have a chest or some other x-ray. At one in the morning. Really? So off we go, me in a wheelchair, trying to keep my IV pole with the rogue wheel from careening off into the night. I was not amused. And as it turned out, nope, no infection.

I know they mean well, and are just doing their job, but yes, some need to learn some skills.

We had this with medical student when my little brother got pneumonia. He was about 5 at the time, and wound up in hospital because, as it turned out, he was allergic to the antibiotics he was given initially, so they admitted him to keep  a close eye on him while they treated the pneumonia.
The we started to get this whole string of [apparent] doctors showing up to examine him,. None of whom explained why. My parents started to worry that he must be much more ill  than anyone had suggested, as he needed so many checks.

Until they asked someone. And found that actually, the reason he was getting so many checks was because he had a perfect, text-book case of double pneumonia, and being an otherwise healthy five year old, *didn't* have any of the complications or other conditions that most other patients presenting with pneumonia had. News had got around among the student and there they all were.

My mum hit the roof. As she said, if they had asked, she would have had no problem at all with them listening to his chest, we get that medical students need to learn. But if they had asked, they could have all come at the same time, and avoided either terrifying his parents or making him grouchy by disturbing him every half hour or so, interrupting when he was supposed to be sleeping, or eating, or when he had visitors.

The same hospital stay involved another issue about how to get medication into little bro. The doctor in charge was deeply reluctant to accept that a 5 year old could & would take tablets, but absolutely would not take sickly sweet syrup. He kept insisting that *all* children had trouble taking tablets and that they all loved the taste of the syrup. About 4 hours later, by which time there was antibiotic syrup practically everywhere except inside my little brother, he agreed that it might be worth just trying, just in case he would take it in tablet form. . .

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #16362 on: June 04, 2014, 04:25:30 PM »
Right now it's a coworker who forgot the content of a conversation that happened less than 24 hours ago.  Nothing's been done so it just ranks as a minor annoyance.

Yesterday I explained what I needed and Coworker recommended Plan A over Plan B, with his suggestion of doing Option X.  I clarify that I'm going to start lining up Plan A ASAP (there's major time pressure on this) and say Option X is part of it.  During the typical back and forth with supervisors of "Why do you need this? Why not Plan B?" I included the part where Coworker recommended Plan A and Option X.

Coworker responds with (paraphrased) "Oh, Plan B is simpler to use if we're doing Option X."

I had a similar conversation over meeting availability.  Someone said they were available at X time, I sent the meeting notice and they promptly declined, citing a conflict.   The whole time frame was maybe 10 minutes.   And I'd completely understand if the note had said something like, "Oh, I am so sorry, I forgot I had Obligation B at that time."  Nope.  Just a decline.  So now I'm waiting for him to tell me the time he really is available.   ::)

menley

« Reply #16363 on: June 04, 2014, 06:53:05 PM »
<snip>

The same hospital stay involved another issue about how to get medication into little bro. The doctor in charge was deeply reluctant to accept that a 5 year old could & would take tablets, but absolutely would not take sickly sweet syrup. He kept insisting that *all* children had trouble taking tablets and that they all loved the taste of the syrup. About 4 hours later, by which time there was antibiotic syrup practically everywhere except inside my little brother, he agreed that it might be worth just trying, just in case he would take it in tablet form. . .

Ohhh, I had this problem too. I've had severe migraines since I was 18 months old (yay!) and around the age of 5 or 6 was put on preventive medication - meaning I had to take a daily dose. My pediatrician's nurse, who supplied the prescription pad, insisted that all children cannot swallow tablets and that I had to take a liquid - and it was FOUL. It tasted like earwax smells.

So after five years of taking this medication on a daily basis, I complained one day to my mother that I wished that they made the medication in tablet form because I couldn't deal with that disgusting taste anymore and she says, "Oh... they do make a tablet form... but you can't swallow pills." I said, "I can't? Why not?" And she said "The nurse says children don't swallow pills right." I responded, "Try me." Shockingly, the pills were way easier to get down than that disgusting liquid  ;)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16364 on: June 04, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
I had chronic tonsillitis as a kid and was always on various antibiotics, trying to knock it back, until I had them out when I was pushing 8 years old.

Once, the pills were HUGE - like the size of the calcium caplets I take.  I complained about having to swallow those; I had a lot of trouble.  The directions said you could dissolve it in glass of water and drink it.  So Dad did that for me once.  It was foul.  I had no problem swallowing the pills after that.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario