Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1791356 times)

nuit93

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16365 on: June 04, 2014, 07:16:14 PM »
I don't remember why, but I was taught how to swallow pills at a fairly young age, around 6 or 7.  I can't believe anyone would say a kid can't swallow pills?

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16366 on: June 04, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »
I used to get a lot of ear infections, and my pediatrician noted how much I hated the liquid meds I had to swallow.  He asked, when I was around 5, if I would be a big girl and try swallowing pills instead.  He and my mom both claimed they'd never seen a young child so eager to learn how to swallow pills instead of taking liquid antibiotics!

TeamBhakta

« Reply #16367 on: June 04, 2014, 07:25:12 PM »
I don't remember why, but I was taught how to swallow pills at a fairly young age, around 6 or 7.  I can't believe anyone would say a kid can't swallow pills?

I still can't swallow pills as an adult, no matter how much I tried. One time I caught a cold the day of a vacation, sent my dad into Walmart for cough syrup & he brought out pills instead. We ended up on the side of the road 2 minutes later with me gagging up the pills I choked on . It just never works for me

mmswm

« Reply #16368 on: June 04, 2014, 07:28:08 PM »
I hate dosing out and dispensing liquid medicine.  Two of my kids have a chronic condition that's quite painful (though the little one is much worse off than the big one), and as such have taken a LOT of meds in their short lives.  I taught them how to swallow pills around age 5 or so.  It's so much easier.  In addition to that, we're dealing with high powered narcotics, so the pills give me greater reassurance that they're getting the exact dose I think they're getting, not a little more or a little less due to eyeballing the measuring syringe or the kid spitting out foul tasting liquid.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #16369 on: June 04, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »

I still can't swallow pills as an adult, no matter how much I tried. One time I caught a cold the day of a vacation, sent my dad into Walmart for cough syrup & he brought out pills instead. We ended up on the side of the road 2 minutes later with me gagging up the pills I choked on . It just never works for me

Yes this is me.  Give me medicine in a needle or in liquid form.  I once took 20 min to take my imitrex pill because I just could not get it down.  I must have gone through a liter of water trying to wash that thing down. Now I pay more for the syringe form, but I do have pills on hand just in case.  I just wished my preventative medicine came in liquid format. 

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #16370 on: June 04, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »

A great trick for pills is to put it more towards the front of your mouth and take a HUGE drink of water. The force of the water will push it back if you drink fast, and by the time you start to swallow the pill will be swept down your throat. But if you try to drink too slow the pill might just float instead.

I can swallow some pills with just my own spit, but only if they're small.

Which brings me to MY annoyance which is people who don't communicate and try to give pills to patients who are NPO (nil per os = nothing by mouth). Also, today, someone took food in to a patient who was fasting before surgery (we JUST got him stable enough for it!) and the patient ate everything, so now he has to wait another day. Oh yes, heads rolled today. I was supposed to be consulted about this and I wasn't.
Who is the Doctor?

Carotte

« Reply #16371 on: June 04, 2014, 09:25:04 PM »

A great trick for pills is to put it more towards the front of your mouth and take a HUGE drink of water. The force of the water will push it back if you drink fast, and by the time you start to swallow the pill will be swept down your throat. But if you try to drink too slow the pill might just float instead.

What works with me it to keep it between my front teeth until I drink. Now that I think about it it sounds and probably looks a little weird? But the timing works and I don't end up with water all over.

As a child I hated that my mother couldn't understand that I could not swallow a tablet. I just couldn't, it would get stuck, if the tablet wasn't coated then it would stick to my mouth and I would taste it and spit it out.
She once had to break it in little pieces and hide it in my ham, why she wasn't always doing this I don't know...

GreenHall

« Reply #16372 on: June 05, 2014, 08:32:55 AM »

What works with me it to keep it between my front teeth until I drink. Now that I think about it it sounds and probably looks a little weird? But the timing works and I don't end up with water all over.

As a child I hated that my mother couldn't understand that I could not swallow a tablet. I just couldn't, it would get stuck, if the tablet wasn't coated then it would stick to my mouth and I would taste it and spit it out.
She once had to break it in little pieces and hide it in my ham, why she wasn't always doing this I don't know...
I get strange looks for this, but I get the water in my mouth first, then put the pill in.  Don't know where/how I picked that up, but it works great for me. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16373 on: June 05, 2014, 09:11:40 AM »
Other drivers who are far more interested in their phones, cosmetics or food than actual driving. Ugh.

I got stuck behind three this morning!

Carotte

« Reply #16374 on: June 05, 2014, 10:02:47 AM »
Well, at least it ended with me getting the package but UPS was bit, ahem, not very cooperative.
On the 3rd I got a notice that they had tried to deliver but couldn't, that I should either call to re organize a delivery or go to their warehouse because they would ship back to the store on the 5th.
It went like this:
May 28: failure to delivery
June 02: they send a notice by post
June 03: I get the notice
June 05: they would have sent it back

A mix of unfortunate timing (the weekend) and their inability to put a notice on the day they try to deliver (so they send it by post  :o?). A notice that didn't even have the right info to input on the website to have it redelivered. "Oh you want the number above the barcode to let me reschedule? then why didn't you put a barcode on it? no barcode, no number, no reschedule...".
I didn't deal with it (SO's package, SO's problem  :P) but since we are both away from home he got it redelivered to my parent's house, in another city.

snowfire

« Reply #16375 on: June 05, 2014, 10:59:10 AM »
Just a minor grump.  Our normal postman is fantastic as are the front desk folks at the post office. 

One time I had ordered some china as a wedding gift.  I got the notice in my mailbox that they had a package for me & I could pick it up at the P.O. anytime after 8AM the following day. Normally they will hold the package a few days, send out a second notice, hold for a few more days, final notice, a few more days, then return to sender. 

I went in to the post office about an hour after it opened the first day after I got the card. The box had already been sent back to the shipper! They never gave me a chance to pick it up.

KimberlyM

« Reply #16376 on: June 05, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »

I get strange looks for this, but I get the water in my mouth first, then put the pill in.  Don't know where/how I picked that up, but it works great for me.

My teenage son does that too. Only way he can get them down.

I take 10 pills a day at a minimum.  I don't even think about it, though once in a while I will do something stupid like trying to take them with coffee...ugh...melted pills are nasty!

My little thing today: I threw my back out 2 weeks ago.  Horribly painful, but not that big a deal, it happens once a year or so.  I woke up this morning with muscle spasms in my low back again...once a year or so is a far cry from a couple weeks.  I don't have time for this!  I'm still trying to catch up after 3 days of immobility last time! 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16377 on: June 05, 2014, 11:37:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure that I have torn my right rotator cuff. Last night, I lifted my arm to get something and had severe, extended pain that caused bad words to be uttered. Sigh.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16378 on: June 05, 2014, 11:37:51 AM »

I put it on my tongue and then just start drinking something until the pill goes away. I figured it out at 12ish when I had a staph infection and had to take a non-chewable pill for the first time in my life.  It works for most pills, for me. The tiny allergy pills, Claritin and Zyrtec, I can take dry, but that's about it. And the giant Mucinex horse pills are sometimes hard to get down with any amount of liquid. They're huge and taste awful, especially the off brand; it's a double whammy.

GreenHall

« Reply #16379 on: June 05, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
I put it on my tongue and then just start drinking something until the pill goes away. I figured it out at 12ish when I had a staph infection and had to take a non-chewable pill for the first time in my life.  It works for most pills, for me. The tiny allergy pills, Claritin and Zyrtec, I can take dry, but that's about it. And the giant Mucinex horse pills are sometimes hard to get down with any amount of liquid. They're huge and taste awful, especially the off brand; it's a double whammy.

Mucinex about made me wreck my car!  That pill was huge, and I felt awful, so I just took it, but then it tried to get stuck, and I was gagging (while driving) - UGH!   Luckily I am small enough, and my system sensitive enough that I can just buy the gross kids syrup if I need mucinex, but I had to throw out the whole package of Mucinex pills I had just bought.  There was just no way that was ever going to happen.