News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 09:04:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5492740 times)

Outdoor Girl

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16380 on: June 25, 2014, 08:03:27 PM »
Save them for Valentine's Day?
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

CakeEater

« Reply #16381 on: June 25, 2014, 08:44:45 PM »
They have the Bible memory verse for the unit of work written on them, and they're blue. I might see if the next teacher wants to make them after holidays. Ah well.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.

Snooks

« Reply #16383 on: June 26, 2014, 03:13:54 AM »
I missed the company I wanted to speak to by 15 minutes today, stupid early Sunday closing.

Also, vacation package prices going up and down.  I get that you can run different offers but can't the price stay the same for the duration of the offer?

If it involves air maybe not

It was through the airline.  I ended up booking with someone else anyway because they were cheaper and less sales-y (the agent flat out lied to me at the first place and I didn't have the energy to bicker with her).

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #16384 on: June 26, 2014, 08:34:48 AM »
The chicken I bought along with our huge haul of food at the local farm store had no use by or sell by date. So I cooked it just in case, since the other meat packages have a sell by date of yesterday. I'll have to mention that to them when I go in there this weekend.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

BeagleMommy

« Reply #16385 on: June 26, 2014, 02:33:52 PM »
I understand new students have a lot of questions.  However, when there is a statement at the bottom of the form you received that reads "If you have any questions please call ###-###-#### and ask for Murgatroyd", please don't call me and say "Why did you send me this form?".

Four new graduate students called me today about a health form.  This is from an entirely different part of the university and I have nothing to do with said form (I've actually never even seen it).  You're over 21 and have been accepted to grad school so I think you know how to READ THE FORM!

Carotte

« Reply #16386 on: June 26, 2014, 04:20:21 PM »
I understand new students have a lot of questions.  However, when there is a statement at the bottom of the form you received that reads "If you have any questions please call ###-###-#### and ask for Murgatroyd", please don't call me and say "Why did you send me this form?".

Four new graduate students called me today about a health form.  This is from an entirely different part of the university and I have nothing to do with said form (I've actually never even seen it).  You're over 21 and have been accepted to grad school so I think you know how to READ THE FORM!

Oh no see, I know where you made a mistake, thinking that people actually read stuff and use their brains!

case in point:
It's not yet making me climb walls (but it's only day two...): we have/sell USB flash drives shaped like an old music tape, it's 16Gig, there's two price tag on it, one saying 20€, the other 0.05€ (and "eco tax" in small). By the end of the sale I will not be able to count the number of people I've had (well, will have had) to tell that no, they don't cost 0.05€  :o, they cost 20.05€, the eco tax being a tax on everything technological that is here to fund recycling of said technological item.
Really people, do you think we would have hundred of those just lying there if they were 5 cents for 16 gig?
Even if they're highly impracticable and bulky, I'd probably have snatched them up myself if it was the case.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #16387 on: June 26, 2014, 06:12:05 PM »

Oh no see, I know where you made a mistake, thinking that people actually read stuff and use their brains!

case in point:
It's not yet making me climb walls (but it's only day two...): we have/sell USB flash drives shaped like an old music tape, it's 16Gig, there's two price tag on it, one saying 20€, the other 0.05€ (and "eco tax" in small). By the end of the sale I will not be able to count the number of people I've had (well, will have had) to tell that no, they don't cost 0.05€  :o, they cost 20.05€, the eco tax being a tax on everything technological that is here to fund recycling of said technological item.
Really people, do you think we would have hundred of those just lying there if they were 5 cents for 16 gig?
Even if they're highly impracticable and bulky, I'd probably have snatched them up myself if it was the case.

A coworker at my new job can't read either, apparently. He has asked me and at least two other people how to do/find/get something that was clearly explained in a group email...thrice in one day.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #16388 on: June 27, 2014, 06:32:26 AM »
Another work-related thing.

I do insurance follow up, and this worklist driver is separate from where I actually do my work.  It sorts all the accounts by dollar value.  Except that sometimes there are a large number of accounts with the same balance (Medicare deductible for in patient stays, for example).  My custom is to pull ten accounts from the driver into a 'mini-worklist' in the program where the work is actually done (it's faster for me to type ten account numbers in one go than it is to do them one at a time).  You would think the accounts would stay in the same order, but no .... if you thought that, you'd be wrong.  So, say I work the first account from my mini-list, I complete that, and paste the note into the other program.  All well and good.

Then the second name on my 'mini-list' is now the 9th account on the other program.  I didn't do anything but complete one account off that list, why does it have to shuffle the names *every* time?

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #16389 on: June 27, 2014, 11:38:43 AM »
Conversations at work that go like this. I had these exact two yesterday.

CW:  Hey 2LM, can you see if the client is available tomorrow for 30 minutes in the morning?

So I check with the client admin and after much back and forth with her, we find a mutually agreeable time.

Me: Okay, it looks like we can do 10:30 and I'll send out the meeting notice.

CW:  Great!  Let's do it at 2:30 for an hour.

I then have to go back to their admin and find out that 2:30 doesn't work at all for anyone and I don't know why CW decided to change course.  I spent another 2 hours finding a new time.

CW:  Hey, 2LM.  I need to change my flight tonight.  Is the 7:30 available?

*I check and find out that it is available, it is an even exchange and inform them.*

CW: Great!  Can you put me on the 8:55?

So since pricing was different, I had to go back and make sure it was available and not too much to change.  If he wanted the 8:55pm, why didn't he just ask for that in the first place?

In either instance, I never did get any explanation as to why the direction suddenly changed as I normally do.  It was as if they suddenly just decided to do it differently.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #16390 on: June 27, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »
Another work-related thing.

I do insurance follow up, and this worklist driver is separate from where I actually do my work.  It sorts all the accounts by dollar value.  Except that sometimes there are a large number of accounts with the same balance (Medicare deductible for in patient stays, for example).  My custom is to pull ten accounts from the driver into a 'mini-worklist' in the program where the work is actually done (it's faster for me to type ten account numbers in one go than it is to do them one at a time).  You would think the accounts would stay in the same order, but no .... if you thought that, you'd be wrong.  So, say I work the first account from my mini-list, I complete that, and paste the note into the other program.  All well and good.

Then the second name on my 'mini-list' is now the 9th account on the other program.  I didn't do anything but complete one account off that list, why does it have to shuffle the names *every* time?
Because it's programmed to do that.   Computers do what the software tells them to do, not necessarily what you want them to do.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

« Reply #16391 on: June 27, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »
When parents of adult children want to be involved in all the nitty gritty and minute details of attending college.

I just had one call, and had to explain that there was not much I could say. I am really sorry her son misunderstood the communications from the college and the university, but I can't snap my fingers and fix the issues that he caused to begin with.

No matter how many times she said "He just had a bad first year away from home", I can't fix it. Ugh.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

BeagleMommy

« Reply #16392 on: June 27, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »
When parents of adult children want to be involved in all the nitty gritty and minute details of attending college.

I just had one call, and had to explain that there was not much I could say. I am really sorry her son misunderstood the communications from the college and the university, but I can't snap my fingers and fix the issues that he caused to begin with.

No matter how many times she said "He just had a bad first year away from home", I can't fix it. Ugh.

Ladyknight - this is when I put on my official former U.S. government secretary voice and say "I'm sorry, but federal law prohibits me from discussing any student information with any person other than the student unless given written permission to do so by that student".

ladyknight1

« Reply #16393 on: June 27, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »
I have now discovered I am the fifth person she has called this week. The onus is on the student.
-J.R.R Tolkien

BeagleMommy

« Reply #16394 on: June 27, 2014, 02:41:44 PM »
I have now discovered I am the fifth person she has called this week. The onus is on the student.

Ugh!  If I, as the secretary, know you by name that's usually not a good thing.  This guy and his mother sound like he's going to be "one of those" students.