Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1686581 times)

Shalamar

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16380 on: June 05, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »
My younger daughter used to get ear infections and throat infections all the time, so getting liquid amoxicillin was a regular occurrence.  After a certain point she just couldn't take it anymore - she hated the taste and would vomit if we tried to make her drink it.  I had one of my rare fights with my husband because he tried to insist that she drink it, whereas my view was there'd be no point if she'd just throw it up again right away.

Figgie

« Reply #16381 on: June 05, 2014, 04:16:51 PM »
Both kids were taught to take pills via popsicles.  :)  I would take a popsicle, carefully cut it apart, leaving as many pill sized pieces as I could and then re-freeze the pieces.  The kids would practice swallowing them whole with water. 

It was no big deal if it didn't go down, as popsicle pieces melt pretty quickly in the mouth/throat.  This was during an era when the push-up popsicle like freezees weren't as common, or I would have cut them apart instead because I think it would have been easier than using a popsicle.  :) 

Having them practice made it very easy for them to get down a variety of pills of different shapes and sizes.  :)

nayberry

« Reply #16382 on: June 05, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »
i spent years being unable to take tablets and the one thing that worked was bribery!  i HAD to take some travel sick tablets as i could no longer bear the smell of the medicine, smelt a lot like red bull does,  so i tried 3 times with the tablets, failed and then was offered £20 if i could manage it,  i choked them down with the help of coffee and jaffa cakes.  the fact that they didn't work and i threw up within 30 minutes is by the by...

Hillia

« Reply #16383 on: June 05, 2014, 04:44:35 PM »
My mom used to crush tablets in a little bit of jelly.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #16384 on: June 05, 2014, 05:29:07 PM »
Another favorite pill trick that I use is to get a spoonful of applesauce, put the pill on it and eat it. If you don't swish the applesauce around too much, it takes the pill with when you swallow. This works great for people with movement issues such as cerebral palsy. The biggest pill I managed with this trick was a capsule for antibiotics. I don't think anything the size of, say, some of those multivitamin pills will go down easy with this and you might need to break them up.

The reason I say applesauce is it's thick, but doesn't need chewing. I've never tried it with ice cream, but if the ice cream is soft enough it might work unless the medication can't be taken with dairy.

Today's wall driving bother: The tendency for water bottle tops to roll somewhere hard to reach when I drop them. Ugh!

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #16385 on: June 05, 2014, 06:35:02 PM »
We should probably move the pill stories to a new thread :) 

On topic,  When you are very hungry and can't decide what to eat.  Bonus points for dithering about until you are ready to fight the cats for their food and you realize that you're out of what you wanted to eat.  ::)   So now you have to make NEW decision about what to eat and you're even hungrier. 

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:37:14 PM by PastryGoddess »

Marga

« Reply #16386 on: June 05, 2014, 11:31:36 PM »
Another favorite pill trick that I use is to get a spoonful of applesauce, put the pill on it and eat it. If you don't swish the applesauce around too much, it takes the pill with when you swallow. This works great for people with movement issues such as cerebral palsy. The biggest pill I managed with this trick was a capsule for antibiotics. I don't think anything the size of, say, some of those multivitamin pills will go down easy with this and you might need to break them up.

The reason I say applesauce is it's thick, but doesn't need chewing. I've never tried it with ice cream, but if the ice cream is soft enough it might work unless the medication can't be taken with dairy.

Today's wall driving bother: The tendency for water bottle tops to roll somewhere hard to reach when I drop them. Ugh!

I never have trouble swallowing pills, as long as I have a tall glass of water, so I never needed a trick, but I heard that yoghurt works the same way as apple sauce.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #16387 on: June 06, 2014, 09:07:35 AM »
Surgical residents. 

Let me start off by saying I totally get why they have to exist.  They're sort of a necessary evil.  But geesh, people, the patient is a real live human (and in this case a child), not a rare disease with an even more rare (and exciting!) complication.  I also totally understand why they'd be chomping at the bit to have a chance to be in the OR with this kid, but bedside manner is very, very important. Learn some.

That said, can I tell you how much I absolutely adore my son's actual surgeon?  He managed to scatter the residents in a way that reminded me of somebody rolling a bowling ball towards a flock of pigeons.  It was kinda funny.

I love your description of your son's surgeon!

I hear you on the resident thing. I fell victim (not really to bad, more annoying than anything) to an over-eager resident once. I was in the hospital, with my second bout of pancreatitis in 12 months. I also had a slight fever. But from my prior experience, this is what happens, and there is NO infection. Eager Beaver  resident decided i MUST have a chest or some other x-ray. At one in the morning. Really? So off we go, me in a wheelchair, trying to keep my IV pole with the rogue wheel from careening off into the night. I was not amused. And as it turned out, nope, no infection.

I know they mean well, and are just doing their job, but yes, some need to learn some skills.

My dad is a doctor. Consequently, we have spent more than a little of our childhood hanging out in doctors' offices and around other doctors. Somewhere along the way my sister decided that she would ONLY see doctors. (Probably due to one of the accounts mentioned by several other posters.)

Of course, and this is more for the snowflaky thread, she for years she refused to see residents. She would wait out the staff until the doctor shows up. Would not even answer the resident's questions.

I don't think she still does this--but she worked in the hospital for a year and also now has to pay her own health insurance bills, soooo...  ::)

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #16388 on: June 06, 2014, 09:45:25 AM »

Ice-cream is how I learned to take pills as a kid.

What's driving me up the wall as my DD's birthday party approaches is non-RSVPers. Almost half the invitees didn't respond by the RSVP date. DH said I should just assume they're not coming, but I went ahead and e-mailed them individually just to be sure. About half of them said they were coming. So if I hadn't followed up, we would have had several kids show up for whom the venue was unprepared and who wouldn't have had goody bags. The party is at a place where if we have more than 15 kids (which we do), we have to pay for each additional child individually. One parent also asked to bring the invitee's sibling. I couldn't figure out a nice way to say "sure, that'll be $12" without sounding stingy, so we're just paying the extra. Not a big deal, I just don't think people should even ask when the invitation is clearly for one child.

On Monday I'll probably post that I was driven up the wall by people who said they were coming and didn't show.

Sadly, I realize this is totally normal for kids' birthday parties. From now on we'll do something with a few friends rather than the whole class, but we wanted to go big this year since it's the last time she'll be with her preschool buddies before they scatter to different kindergartens (*sob*).
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #16389 on: June 06, 2014, 10:15:10 AM »

What's driving me up the wall as my DD's birthday party approaches is non-RSVPers. Almost half the invitees didn't respond by the RSVP date. DH said I should just assume they're not coming, but I went ahead and e-mailed them individually just to be sure. About half of them said they were coming. So if I hadn't followed up, we would have had several kids show up for whom the venue was unprepared and who wouldn't have had goody bags. The party is at a place where if we have more than 15 kids (which we do), we have to pay for each additional child individually. One parent also asked to bring the invitee's sibling. I couldn't figure out a nice way to say "sure, that'll be $12" without sounding stingy, so we're just paying the extra. Not a big deal, I just don't think people should even ask when the invitation is clearly for one child.

On Monday I'll probably post that I was driven up the wall by people who said they were coming and didn't show.

Sadly, I realize this is totally normal for kids' birthday parties. From now on we'll do something with a few friends rather than the whole class, but we wanted to go big this year since it's the last time she'll be with her preschool buddies before they scatter to different kindergartens (*sob*).

For the non-RSVP'ers...maybe they never got the invitation.  At the end of the school year, Six and I were cleaning out her book bag.  There was an invitation in there from two weeks before.  We would have been able to take her if we knew about it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #16390 on: June 06, 2014, 10:23:43 AM »

For the non-RSVP'ers...maybe they never got the invitation.  At the end of the school year, Six and I were cleaning out her book bag.  There was an invitation in there from two weeks before.  We would have been able to take her if we knew about it.

I had that thought. The invitations were sent by mail. We provided the addresses and the venue printed and sent them as part of the party package. I was actually worried that some people might have mistaken them for junk mail and thrown them out, but all the non-RSVPers had gotten them and apologized for forgetting to respond.

But yeah, I would never expect that giving the invitations directly to the kids to take home from school would result in the parents actually seeing them! Not a great plan at that age.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16391 on: June 06, 2014, 10:37:51 AM »
Especially if the students have a mailbox in the classroom where graded papers, notes and invitations go, then disappear into the backpack Narnia.

I know from experience.

We have a meeting set up, a half-day retreat. A VIP is going to speak. I booked a room for it, but was told it was going to be at another venue. I did not cancel the room I booked, because I have seen nothing concrete about the other venue, only know that other venue was mentioned to several staff by the big boss.

Direct boss, who is in between me and big boss and in charge of all other staff? She doesn't know anything about other venue being an option due to their prices. This event is in less than two weeks and I am in limbo. Big boss is out of town.

mmswm

« Reply #16392 on: June 06, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »
Surgical residents. 

Let me start off by saying I totally get why they have to exist.  They're sort of a necessary evil.  But geesh, people, the patient is a real live human (and in this case a child), not a rare disease with an even more rare (and exciting!) complication.  I also totally understand why they'd be chomping at the bit to have a chance to be in the OR with this kid, but bedside manner is very, very important. Learn some.

That said, can I tell you how much I absolutely adore my son's actual surgeon?  He managed to scatter the residents in a way that reminded me of somebody rolling a bowling ball towards a flock of pigeons.  It was kinda funny.

I love your description of your son's surgeon!

I hear you on the resident thing. I fell victim (not really to bad, more annoying than anything) to an over-eager resident once. I was in the hospital, with my second bout of pancreatitis in 12 months. I also had a slight fever. But from my prior experience, this is what happens, and there is NO infection. Eager Beaver  resident decided i MUST have a chest or some other x-ray. At one in the morning. Really? So off we go, me in a wheelchair, trying to keep my IV pole with the rogue wheel from careening off into the night. I was not amused. And as it turned out, nope, no infection.

I know they mean well, and are just doing their job, but yes, some need to learn some skills.

My dad is a doctor. Consequently, we have spent more than a little of our childhood hanging out in doctors' offices and around other doctors. Somewhere along the way my sister decided that she would ONLY see doctors. (Probably due to one of the accounts mentioned by several other posters.)

Of course, and this is more for the snowflaky thread, she for years she refused to see residents. She would wait out the staff until the doctor shows up. Would not even answer the resident's questions.

I don't think she still does this--but she worked in the hospital for a year and also now has to pay her own health insurance bills, soooo...  ::)

There are days when I'm much more willing to be patient with residents, and there are days when I just want the doctor.  In an ER setting, I never mind when the resident comes in.  Actually, I generally prefer the ortho resident over the ER attending.  The incident that had my hackles up, however, was in my son's regular ortho's office, and we'd just discovered a fairly icky complication.  I was in no mood, and these guys looking like vultures finding fresh road kill didn't do anything to help my mood. 

In general though, I'm fairly laid back as long as the boys are okay with it.  Residents need to learn their profession.  There's only so much you can learn in a classroom.  In my family's case, it's a rare disease, so I generally get quite  number of residents from all the specialties coming to "take a look", simply because it's possible that they'll never see it again.  I'm okay with that as long as they announce their intentions. It's worth it if somewhere down the road even one of these doctors sees a a patient with all the right symptoms and goes "oh, I remember those mmswm boys from my residency.  This looks like it could be the same thing, and gives a parent a diagnosis that's been escaping other docs." 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #16393 on: June 07, 2014, 09:35:02 AM »
Anotjer little thing: people in the snowflake thread who post about how they have been such a snowflake...but they weren't a snowflake at all in the situation that they described. I don't mean the posts where people do this as a joke, but where they are appareantly honestly thinking that they are a snowflake.
I don't want to give them a bad feeling, but something just twinges inside me, yelling 'no you aren't a snowflake here, why would you even think that?!!'
If those stories had been posted on any other site I would have suspected humble bragging, but I think here it's much more likely that such posters are insecure about the situation they describe.

Adelaide

« Reply #16394 on: June 07, 2014, 11:55:38 AM »
I keep hearing "That sounds expensive, how are you even paying for law school?" and I've started responding by saying "With money." and leaving it at that. A couple of friends have actually told me that I'm being rude with that response. Sorry, it's still none of your business.