Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1741017 times)

Allyson

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16395 on: June 07, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »
I find this sequence of events baffling. Someone will post something online about some horrible/"heartwrenching"/upsetting story. They talk about how they cried, are upset etc. Someone else debunks this--it's not true! Instead of being "yay this upsetting thing isn't true" they are then mad or grumpy about being told it isn't true. Like...ok, if you were that sad about it, wouldn't you rather know it didn't really happen?

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #16396 on: June 07, 2014, 01:47:45 PM »
^ I think people who respond that way feel upset or embarrassed at being tricked.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

Mary Lennox

« Reply #16397 on: June 07, 2014, 02:20:58 PM »
I keep hearing "That sounds expensive, how are you even paying for law school?" and I've started responding by saying "With money." and leaving it at that. A couple of friends have actually told me that I'm being rude with that response. Sorry, it's still none of your business.

I would come up with some ridiculous answers.

"I'm going to sell a kidney on the black market."
"I promised them my first born child."
"Once I take over the world, I'll just wipe my debt from their records."

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #16398 on: June 08, 2014, 12:19:47 AM »
I don't remember why, but I was taught how to swallow pills at a fairly young age, around 6 or 7.  I can't believe anyone would say a kid can't swallow pills?

I still can't swallow pills as an adult, no matter how much I tried. One time I caught a cold the day of a vacation, sent my dad into Walmart for cough syrup & he brought out pills instead. We ended up on the side of the road 2 minutes later with me gagging up the pills I choked on . It just never works for me

A great trick for pills is to put it more towards the front of your mouth and take a HUGE drink of water. The force of the water will push it back if you drink fast, and by the time you start to swallow the pill will be swept down your throat. But if you try to drink too slow the pill might just float instead.

What works with me it to keep it between my front teeth until I drink. Now that I think about it it sounds and probably looks a little weird? But the timing works and I don't end up with water all over.

As a child I hated that my mother couldn't understand that I could not swallow a tablet. I just couldn't, it would get stuck, if the tablet wasn't coated then it would stick to my mouth and I would taste it and spit it out.
She once had to break it in little pieces and hide it in my ham, why she wasn't always doing this I don't know...
I get strange looks for this, but I get the water in my mouth first, then put the pill in.  Don't know where/how I picked that up, but it works great for me.

me too! Every time I've tried the "put the pill in first, then water" thing, I've choked.

Here is a new thing that will drive me up the wall every summer for the rest of my life...

Last summer, I started getting a full-back tattoo. My tattoo artist started at the bottom and worked her way up, for the most part, so last summer, it really wasn't visible unless I had on a bikini top. Though it is not yet done (2 more sessions to go!) it looks like it *could* be done, it just needs more shading & detailing in a bunch of areas. It is an entirely unique tattoo that my tattoo artist made for me & then we modified multiple times along the way.

Anyways, Friday, I was out in Union Square with my beloved, enjoying the little beer garden thing they were having. I was wearing a halter dress, so the top half of my back was exposed. As we're talking (face to face), Beloved grabs my hand and suddenly pulls me sideways, puts my back around so my back is against his chest. Turns out, this...woman had been attempting to take a photo of my tattoo with her GIANT lens...from 2" away from my back. As I turned around and caught sight of another human being so close to me, I actually jumped, because what stranger stands that close?

Beloved says to her "It's considered polite to ask" and she says (in a very nasty voice) "I know the laws! We're in public and I can photo anything I want in public!" Ok, while she is technically (generally) right, it felt super-creepy and invasive to have someone trying to take a photo that close, without even bothering to ask me permission. As I stood there sputtering, Beloved said "It might be legal, but it's also rude and dehumanizing". By then I'd gotten my voice back & said "yeah, and if you'd asked, you could have taken all the photos you wanted. But now you need to leave me alone". She said some nasty words, and wondered off.

I have a feeling this is going to become a common annoyance & that the scarf I keep in my purse to stay warm in the air conditioned summer subway may also be used to cover up my back when I don't want to deal with obnoxious people.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #16399 on: June 08, 2014, 07:00:34 AM »
^^
Same same but also a bit different - I have a large piece down one of my legs - well. If it was on my arm it'd be called a sleeve because it covers the whole leg! The number of people who poke at it, or ask if it's real... I've had more than one person (usually a woman) try and pinch my leg to 'prove' that it's a stocking, and a LOT of men scoff and insist that it's not real.
And if people try to photograph it- hell to the no. You ask - maybe. You get out your phone and try to take a picture like you're snapping my shoes or something but try to also lift the hem of my shorts to get the top of my tattoo? I've smacked people.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Celany

« Reply #16400 on: June 08, 2014, 10:43:02 AM »
^^
Same same but also a bit different - I have a large piece down one of my legs - well. If it was on my arm it'd be called a sleeve because it covers the whole leg! The number of people who poke at it, or ask if it's real... I've had more than one person (usually a woman) try and pinch my leg to 'prove' that it's a stocking, and a LOT of men scoff and insist that it's not real.
And if people try to photograph it- hell to the no. You ask - maybe. You get out your phone and try to take a picture like you're snapping my shoes or something but try to also lift the hem of my shorts to get the top of my tattoo? I've smacked people.

What is wrong with people???

My Beloved also has a full back, and depending on his shirt (and what he's doing, it may peek out of the neckline, or possibly the bottom of the shirt, if he leans forward/bends over enough for his shirt to ride up. He had a female coworker lift his shirt of from behind, to see if he had a "tramp stamp" & when he felt someone pulling his shirt up, he whirled around & smacked her hands away (not hard enough to injure, but like...the way you'd smack someones hands away that grabbed you from behind). Which turned into A Thing until he (calmly, but still clearly angrily) pointed out:

1) She touched him first. From behind. Without his consent. And he had NO IDEA who was doing that or why.
2) Had the gender roles been reversed, or had they simply been going by "the book" that would be a firing offense, for it's extreme inappropriateness.

My tattoo artist spent part of each of my sessions talking to me about the screwed up things that people do/say to people with tattoos & how she's handled various situations, and I've suddenly realized that wasn't just to pass the time/because the stories are funny in a grim/"oh humans" way.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

BarensMom

« Reply #16401 on: June 08, 2014, 11:46:46 AM »
I don't remember why, but I was taught how to swallow pills at a fairly young age, around 6 or 7.  I can't believe anyone would say a kid can't swallow pills?

I still can't swallow pills as an adult, no matter how much I tried. One time I caught a cold the day of a vacation, sent my dad into Walmart for cough syrup & he brought out pills instead. We ended up on the side of the road 2 minutes later with me gagging up the pills I choked on . It just never works for me

A great trick for pills is to put it more towards the front of your mouth and take a HUGE drink of water. The force of the water will push it back if you drink fast, and by the time you start to swallow the pill will be swept down your throat. But if you try to drink too slow the pill might just float instead.

What works with me it to keep it between my front teeth until I drink. Now that I think about it it sounds and probably looks a little weird? But the timing works and I don't end up with water all over.

As a child I hated that my mother couldn't understand that I could not swallow a tablet. I just couldn't, it would get stuck, if the tablet wasn't coated then it would stick to my mouth and I would taste it and spit it out.
She once had to break it in little pieces and hide it in my ham, why she wasn't always doing this I don't know...
I get strange looks for this, but I get the water in my mouth first, then put the pill in.  Don't know where/how I picked that up, but it works great for me.

me too! Every time I've tried the "put the pill in first, then water" thing, I've choked.

Here is a new thing that will drive me up the wall every summer for the rest of my life...

Last summer, I started getting a full-back tattoo. My tattoo artist started at the bottom and worked her way up, for the most part, so last summer, it really wasn't visible unless I had on a bikini top. Though it is not yet done (2 more sessions to go!) it looks like it *could* be done, it just needs more shading & detailing in a bunch of areas. It is an entirely unique tattoo that my tattoo artist made for me & then we modified multiple times along the way.

Anyways, Friday, I was out in Union Square with my beloved, enjoying the little beer garden thing they were having. I was wearing a halter dress, so the top half of my back was exposed. As we're talking (face to face), Beloved grabs my hand and suddenly pulls me sideways, puts my back around so my back is against his chest. Turns out, this...woman had been attempting to take a photo of my tattoo with her GIANT lens...from 2" away from my back. As I turned around and caught sight of another human being so close to me, I actually jumped, because what stranger stands that close?

Beloved says to her "It's considered polite to ask" and she says (in a very nasty voice) "I know the laws! We're in public and I can photo anything I want in public!" Ok, while she is technically (generally) right, it felt super-creepy and invasive to have someone trying to take a photo that close, without even bothering to ask me permission. As I stood there sputtering, Beloved said "It might be legal, but it's also rude and dehumanizing". By then I'd gotten my voice back & said "yeah, and if you'd asked, you could have taken all the photos you wanted. But now you need to leave me alone". She said some nasty words, and wondered off.

I have a feeling this is going to become a common annoyance & that the scarf I keep in my purse to stay warm in the air conditioned summer subway may also be used to cover up my back when I don't want to deal with obnoxious people.

They have a beer garden in Union Square?

The photo taker treating you like one of the sights just makes me go :o :o

Celany

« Reply #16402 on: June 08, 2014, 01:28:08 PM »

They have a beer garden in Union Square?

The photo taker treating you like one of the sights just makes me go :o :o

This Friday, at the north end, they had a "night market/beer garden" (which is hilarious, because it was from 4pm-8pm), where they cordoned off an area & sold tickets for 3 types of beer, 2 ciders, & 2 wines, I think (but you could only drink in that area). A bunch of local restaurants also sold small plates of things for $5, so you could try out little delicious bites like a Moroccan lamb dish & seared tuna sliders.  I think maybe some of the usual farmer's market booths stayed open longer, to get more business from the extra drinking people, but most of them did their usual close-up around 6PM.

I hope they made it a regular thing, but maybe with a bit more of a beer selection. It was nice, and I'd definitely go back & keep more of an eye out for creepers.

alkira6

« Reply #16403 on: June 08, 2014, 03:26:28 PM »

Beloved says to her "It's considered polite to ask" and she says (in a very nasty voice) "I know the laws! We're in public and I can photo anything I want in public!" Ok, while she is technically (generally) right, it felt super-creepy and invasive to have someone trying to take a photo that close, without even bothering to ask me permission. As I stood there sputtering, Beloved said "It might be legal, but it's also rude and dehumanizing".
By then I'd gotten my voice back & said "yeah, and if you'd asked, you could have taken all the photos you wanted. But now you need to leave me alone". She said some nasty words, and wondered off.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I have taken pictures before but I have always asked politely before I pull out my camera, and only if it seems appropriate to approach them.  Some people wear absolutely lovely art but they are still a person first, art second.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16404 on: June 08, 2014, 05:45:11 PM »
Touching or photographing a person's tattoo without permission is NOT a little thing. It's invasion of privacy and could be considered assault. 

When I worked in the museum it was perfectly fine to photograph objects in the permanent collections.  It was not all right to photograph objects on loan without express permission from the owner.   This certainly should apply when the object is literally a part of the owner. 

Also, poking a painting to determine details of the brushwork would be verboten.  How much worse is it to poke someone to determine if a tattoo is real?

These stories don't belong in 'Little Things'. They belong in 'Special Snowflakes'. 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #16405 on: June 08, 2014, 06:19:58 PM »
Surgical residents. 

Let me start off by saying I totally get why they have to exist.  They're sort of a necessary evil.  But geesh, people, the patient is a real live human (and in this case a child), not a rare disease with an even more rare (and exciting!) complication.  I also totally understand why they'd be chomping at the bit to have a chance to be in the OR with this kid, but bedside manner is very, very important. Learn some.

That said, can I tell you how much I absolutely adore my son's actual surgeon?  He managed to scatter the residents in a way that reminded me of somebody rolling a bowling ball towards a flock of pigeons.  It was kinda funny.

My sister was in a hospital back 12 years ago, and she had a tracheostomy, so couldn't speak.  She said it was amazing how the surgical residents would talk right in front of her as though she was an inanimate object, including the one who said, "I give her a week."  And she's a nurse, so she understood everything they said.  When the tracheostomy was discontinued and she was able to speak again, she gave the surgical department hierarchy a piece of her mind about the practice.   

snowfire

« Reply #16406 on: June 08, 2014, 07:08:14 PM »
You would think that people in the medical profession would know better.  >:(

Just because you cannot speak for some reason does not mean that you cannot hear or understand.

Fifty thwacks with a frozen haddock for them...

gmatoy

« Reply #16407 on: June 08, 2014, 07:42:48 PM »

Just because you cannot speak for some reason does not mean that you cannot hear or understand.

Well, a segment of the general public thinks that if you can't walk, you can't think.  I had (botched) foot surgery and had to be in a wheelchair as I could not put weight on my foot. In the months I was in a wheelchair I was:  talked down to, hit in the head by a teenager who said as he passed, "Shouldn't let retards out in public" and once had someone hold the door shut so I couldn't get into a building.

Now, mind you, there were also many people who were helpful and kind. But now I  try to remember how I felt and ask the person if they need help instead of getting in their way under the guise of "helping." (Which was another of my pet peeves.)

mmswm

« Reply #16408 on: June 08, 2014, 08:12:10 PM »

Well, a segment of the general public thinks that if you can't walk, you can't think.  I had (botched) foot surgery and had to be in a wheelchair as I could not put weight on my foot. In the months I was in a wheelchair I was:  talked down to, hit in the head by a teenager who said as he passed, "Shouldn't let retards out in public" and once had someone hold the door shut so I couldn't get into a building.

Now, mind you, there were also many people who were helpful and kind. But now I  try to remember how I felt and ask the person if they need help instead of getting in their way under the guise of "helping." (Which was another of my pet peeves.)

You hit on a few of my pet peeves.  Just the other day I had to restrain myself from slapping a grocery store cashier for talking to my 12 year old like he was two.  People do this all the time.  I have another kid who's a mere 11 months older and nobody would dream of talking to him with such infantile language/tone as they do to the youngest.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16409 on: June 08, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
Mistakes that can't be fixed ASAP. I got 3 free months of HBO for being a "good customer" of the cable co. Started watching Game of Thrones and was hooked. Free promo ends at the end of June. So I can see the entire season. I go to watch tonight, and it's gone. So I call (thankfully I held onto the letter telling me this). If I fax in the letter they will add it back but there's nothing in my account that indicates I got this. I get they can't just add it back in my say so, but darn it, there are only 2 episodes left!!!!!!!!! And why doesn't it show I get it. Grr.