News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 01:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5499881 times)

daen

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16440 on: July 04, 2014, 06:41:22 PM »
My small annoyance? Elvish. I am writing an LotR crossover fic, and I need elvish names for some of the warriors. This... is not going well!

You've probably checked this out already, but just in case you've missed it, I present... The Elvish Name Generator.
http://www.chriswetherell.com/elf/index.php

It was the origin of my nom de internet last name. I had entered "daen" in the first name blank, and left the last name empty. It returned an error message: "Choose wiser. You need a last name." In my mind, I inverted the order of the two sentences, and I am frequently daen wiser when I wish to be semi-anonymous.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #16441 on: July 04, 2014, 07:29:50 PM »
The genius dad who thought he could let his son hold a piccolo pete and waited FOUR HOURS to bring his son to the hospital.

This kid is three, and his eyelids are fused shut by burns. Again, FOUR HOURS before dad thought he should bring him to the hospital.

CPS is on the way.

It's taking everything I have not to use foul language right now.

ETA: I was updated right as I finished typing. The surgery was successful and his actual eyes and vision are fine. Thank Deity.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 07:31:30 PM by The TARDIS »
Who is the Doctor?

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #16442 on: July 04, 2014, 07:51:10 PM »
I'm so glad the child is ok.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

CuriousParty

« Reply #16443 on: July 04, 2014, 08:38:28 PM »
I had to go google a piccolo pete because I had no idea what it was and it never in a million years occurred to me that anyone would let a three year old hold a firework of any description.

Foul language, indeed.

Adelaide

« Reply #16444 on: July 05, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »
My parents keep telling me what I want to do with my life. Yes, what I want to do with my life. My father keeps saying things like "You should just work at a big firm and make six figures a year." Yes father, I will just go up to the big firm and claim a cubicle. Just walk in. My mother keeps insisting that "You don't want to get a JD and not practice law." Lots of people do that, but my parents have this idea in their heads about What Attorneys Do and they refuse to deviate from that. Then when I do something non-traditional, like go to law school after majoring in a hard science, they act like it was Our Idea All Along when things work out, and they give themselves a pat on the back and brag to their friends.

nuit93

« Reply #16445 on: July 05, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »
My parents keep telling me what I want to do with my life. Yes, what I want to do with my life. My father keeps saying things like "You should just work at a big firm and make six figures a year." Yes father, I will just go up to the big firm and claim a cubicle. Just walk in. My mother keeps insisting that "You don't want to get a JD and not practice law." Lots of people do that, but my parents have this idea in their heads about What Attorneys Do and they refuse to deviate from that. Then when I do something non-traditional, like go to law school after majoring in a hard science, they act like it was Our Idea All Along when things work out, and they give themselves a pat on the back and brag to their friends.

I've been getting this too.  It's like "you have a college degree, why aren't you making the big bucks already?"  Um...my degree is in creative writing, not a STEM field. 

Then it was "you worked in libraries a long time, why not get your Master's?"  Well, I applied to library school and didn't get in.  Which turned out to be a good thing--I'd have been another $35-50k in debt with no guarantee of a better paying job than I have now.

Did my sister get any of this grief after she got her BA?  Of course not, she married a programmer from a well-off family  :-\

Sometimes it's just frustrating, my mom and sister have a lot in common since they both live in nice neighborhoods and don't NEED to work, they just do it until they can retire/start having babies (respectively).  I rent in a cheap but not awful part of town and need to work for everything I have, I do all right but don't have a whole lot left over for luxuries.  Heck, I cheered at finding a free bookcase in my complex stairwell. 

I just can't relate to them.

mmswm

« Reply #16446 on: July 05, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »

I've been getting this too.  It's like "you have a college degree, why aren't you making the big bucks already?"  Um...my degree is in creative writing, not a STEM field.

Then it was "you worked in libraries a long time, why not get your Master's?"  Well, I applied to library school and didn't get in.  Which turned out to be a good thing--I'd have been another $35-50k in debt with no guarantee of a better paying job than I have now.

Did my sister get any of this grief after she got her BA?  Of course not, she married a programmer from a well-off family  :-\

Sometimes it's just frustrating, my mom and sister have a lot in common since they both live in nice neighborhoods and don't NEED to work, they just do it until they can retire/start having babies (respectively).  I rent in a cheap but not awful part of town and need to work for everything I have, I do all right but don't have a whole lot left over for luxuries.  Heck, I cheered at finding a free bookcase in my complex stairwell. 

I just can't relate to them.

RE the bolded:  My master's is in Mathematics, and I still can't find a job after over 1000 applications.  The economy sucks. 

*twiddles thumbs and waits for the relevant states to get my teaching credentials transferred over and evaluated*

And yes, it's driving me up a wall, people's comments about my lack of a job.  I put in a minimum of 5 applications per weekday, and one or two on the weekend days (not as many postings on the weekends).  I apply for everything I can even pretend to be qualified for.  My degrees are pure math but most of my work experience is teaching, with some experience in banking.  I can't even get a low skill job because they think I'm going to up and run as soon as a job in my field opens up.  *sigh*
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #16447 on: July 05, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »
I hate when cashiers ask "How are you ? Are you looking forward to the weekend / the upcoming holiday ? What are your plans ? Is your day going good ?" I'd like to strangle whatever corporate genius came up with that idea. I'm just there to pay for groceries, not to make friends. I am creeped out by the  feeling their next question is "Can I have your number, can I have it ? Do you have a boyfriend ? Is he coming back ?" (TM Mad TV)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #16448 on: July 05, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
^I shop at the same store every week and am friendly with a lot of the staff. But when the situation is not like that, I can see how that would be annoying.

About the job/degree issue, I agree. It is also very confusing for my MIL that my DH, with his AS in criminal justice, does just fine in his field manager position, with annual raises and great benefits including a take home car. They continue to tell him about job openings and new possibilities and then repeat that information again and again until he finally shuts them down about it. He's been at the same place for a decade and if we don't think he needs a new job, give it a break!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Mary Lennox

« Reply #16449 on: July 06, 2014, 08:37:27 AM »
My friends had the same attitude when my teenage daughters were looking for jobs.  "How come they haven't found anything yet?"  Uh, because the economy is terrible and, for every job posted, at least 100 people are going for it?  "Just tell them to apply at McDonald's!  They'll take anybody!"  First of all, they're vegetarians.  Second of all, McDonald's will not hire just anybody.  Third, once again, a lot of competition for those jobs - including, sadly, from older people who are struggling to make ends meet.

Yep, I had this conversation a few years ago with my family. I applied to every fast food/coffee shop within a reasonable distance of where I was living (about 30). Couldn't even get a phone interview, and I had 2 years of hospitality experience.

shhh its me

« Reply #16450 on: July 06, 2014, 08:40:55 AM »
My friends had the same attitude when my teenage daughters were looking for jobs.  "How come they haven't found anything yet?"  Uh, because the economy is terrible and, for every job posted, at least 100 people are going for it?  "Just tell them to apply at McDonald's!  They'll take anybody!"  First of all, they're vegetarians.  Second of all, McDonald's will not hire just anybody.  Third, once again, a lot of competition for those jobs - including, sadly, from older people who are struggling to make ends meet.

I hate the "Just get a job at McDonalds" advice. Even if McDonalds would hire anyone they aren't going to hire the 1/2 a million people out of work and actively looking within a metro area.

I'll add to that the people who advise "Just buy a $500 car and save up till you can buy a better one , that way you never have to have a car loan."   My car was totaled a few years ago(badly there was no way it could travel on its own and no cheap way to repair it) a scrap yard bought it and came to get it and still paid me $250 for it ...that is a $500 car one which currently wont run nor will  in the foreseeable future.

Adelaide

« Reply #16451 on: July 06, 2014, 09:40:15 AM »

Yep, I had this conversation a few years ago with my family. I applied to every fast food/coffee shop within a reasonable distance of where I was living (about 30). Couldn't even get a phone interview, and I had 2 years of hospitality experience.

For my first job at home I applied to about 30 places as well. I had no experience and I'm not surprised no one wanted to hire me. The only way I got a job was through a friend of my aunt, and at that point I was starting to get really desperate and my parents were sick of me printing off resumes with their printer.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #16452 on: July 06, 2014, 10:08:24 AM »
A supplement I take was recently changed from a capsule to a pill that disintegrates when taking the water.  Like aspirin used to years ago.  Blechh!

nayberry

« Reply #16453 on: July 06, 2014, 10:47:41 AM »
i have some tidying and hiding to do (workmen coming in and too much stuff!). i ask (right now not so D)H to help me move something so i can shove the bags of junk away, and i get made to feel two inches tall.  yes they are coming in 3 days time,  but i've only known about it for 24 hours!!

instead of his usual wants-everything-sorted, he's ignoring me and being a pita, and i still can't put stuff away as i can't move the thing in front of the cupboard!!
baby berry arrived june 2016

jaxsue

« Reply #16454 on: July 06, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »
I lost my last job due to a bad injury, and even if I wanted to I can't go back to doing it. So I've been job-hunting for quite awhile. The economy truly does stink! I get advice from people, and while I appreciate their input some of it is ridiculous. My mom, bless her, hasn't held a job outside the home since 1951. She knows I'm a good writer and says I should write a children's book. Mom has no idea the horrible condition the publishing industry is in. There are a few success stories, but it ain't what it used to be.
It's frustrating!  :P