Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1742039 times)

Shalamar

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16440 on: June 11, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »
Wow, great job they did of selling the place.  ;D

Heh.  The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure that the interviewer thought I'd be impressed and would jump at the chance to work at a place with such a strong "work ethic".  I was almost 40 at the time, and I'd long since left my "work 60 hours per week" days behind me.   

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16441 on: June 11, 2014, 06:11:42 PM »
We have been having some staff out of the office on leave, and attending conferences, so lots of communication that would normally be face to face is being conducted by email.

I am not a fan of sending emails to 18 people unless it is something to be widely broadcast for all. My boss sent an email asking for ideas about a group retreat. I have 65 emails in total, that is just today.

Nothing is resolved. I may have to close all my email notifications tomorrow so I can actually get something accomplished!

On another note, the young woman who decided to move the lobby furniture and create a bed out of two arm chairs. Who then lay upon the armchair bed, with her rear at the end, and bare feet on the top of the chair. She had micro shorts on. It is quite shocking to come out of your office, in your professional building and be presented with a bare butt and bare feet. She didn't move the furniture back when she was done.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16442 on: June 11, 2014, 06:24:16 PM »
My normal (and precious!) work from home day is Friday.  This week I am taking it on Thursday because my coworker will be on vacation Friday and we have a temp that one of us has to be here for to train.   We also had a dept wide meeting originally scheduled for 10am this morning, then moved to 3pm.  It just got moved again.  To when?  9am tomorrow of course.  This is NOT one of those optional meetings - you will be there.  So I have to get dressed to come in on my one work from home day to sit in a meeting for 2 hours then go back home.  Sigh.  It wouldn't be so annoying if this wasn't the second time this had happened to me recently.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #16443 on: June 11, 2014, 06:36:15 PM »
Yea, one of my coworkers will work her full shift and not take a lunch break, just stand and eat. Which is...really not necessary, it's very slow right now. Then she'll roll her eyes at me when I sit to eat. Some of the other coworkers will not take their full breaks, but then spend quite a bit of time on their phones during shift. The coworker once says to me "oh, well, you're the only one who actually takes a break..." Um, sorry for wanting to eat a proper meal and sit down with my food, but I take the mandated amount for a break, and because you choose not to is not my problem!

Also I'm phasing out of my old cafe job to another job as I just recently graduated a program for what I really want to do (yay) but am keeping one shift a week at my old job to pay off bills. I get *so* many comments about how much my coworkers work compared to me, etc. Also one coworker who keeps telling customers that she works every single day, 7 days a week, open to close between her two jobs, which is a total lie. I once innocently said, "Oh, I thought you had Thursdays off?" and she was not happy.
There are teachers that do this. They work through their mandated duty free lunch period, stay till the building is closed - or at least till they turn the ac off. Then they get catty if you bring up a problem your kids are having implying that it is because you don't work hard enough. They also get catty with the kids.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

lilfox

« Reply #16444 on: June 11, 2014, 07:00:29 PM »
Four weeks ago:  I get assigned to help a coworker by working on a task with him on Platform A.  Great, we have several meetings and I'm making progress.

Three weeks ago:  During a team meeting, we decide that doing this new task isn't really necessary.

Two weeks ago:  Another team decides that I should do this task for Platform B, so I start working on that.

Last week: Well, Platform B probably wants a shortened version of the task, which is less work for me, so okay.  But, now the consensus is Platform A could benefit from the task (again), so I revive that work.

Today:  Hey guess what, I was just told by yet another team that Platform C might or might not need the task, but if it does, then Platform A doesn't.

If you followed all that, could you let me know whether I still need to do any tasks at all?  Because I really don't know and now my head hurts.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16445 on: June 11, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »
Random people who want to talk on the phone in a public restroom.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #16446 on: June 11, 2014, 10:27:32 PM »
Four weeks ago:  I get assigned to help a coworker by working on a task with him on Platform A.  Great, we have several meetings and I'm making progress.

Three weeks ago:  During a team meeting, we decide that doing this new task isn't really necessary.

Two weeks ago:  Another team decides that I should do this task for Platform B, so I start working on that.

Last week: Well, Platform B probably wants a shortened version of the task, which is less work for me, so okay.  But, now the consensus is Platform A could benefit from the task (again), so I revive that work.

Today:  Hey guess what, I was just told by yet another team that Platform C might or might not need the task, but if it does, then Platform A doesn't.

If you followed all that, could you let me know whether I still need to do any tasks at all?  Because I really don't know and now my head hurts.

Sounds like you need to do some version for Platform B, and are in a good position to contact someone and say "I've been told that this will be needed for either A or C, but not both. Should I hold off on anything except the Platform B version until it's been determined which platform this is needed for?"
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #16447 on: June 11, 2014, 11:22:09 PM »
The Menopause Fairy is a right mother of puppies... 

I have had to adopt a teenager's skin routine because of the breakouts.  Not so much pimples, but blackheads.  Ugh. 

On top of that, my beard and mo are coming in nicely.  Grrr.

The skin on my arms is turning into frail granny-skin.  One little scratch and it looks like a big reddish purple welt that lasts for days and days.  The skin on my legs and back is dry, itchy and scaly.  I think I'm turning into a bearded, spotty lizard.   :(

I don't get traditional hot flushes, but I overheat once I'm in bed.  The past few nights here the temperature has dropped below freezing, and all the heating is at the other end of the house, so my room is cold.  I have a choice - I can get into a cold bed and shiver until it's warmed up, finally get to sleep and half an hour later kick off all the blankets and freeze the rest of the night, or put the electric blanket on and kick the blankets off ten minutes after I get into bed - and then freeze for the rest of the night.  There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.  I've tried a lower setting on the blanket, no difference.  I turn it off when I get into bed, no difference.  I've tried changing the bedding - blanket only, etc, no difference.  Thank goodness my two little hot water bottles dogs like to snuggle, or I'd be a popsicle by now. 

Nikko-chan

« Reply #16448 on: June 12, 2014, 12:04:25 AM »
When you make an appt for a phone interview, thursday at say 11:30, but get called wednesday at 10:30. What the heck!? I thought that was the purpose of the appt.... and I will laugh if they call again tomorrow cause I got an email saying i needed to contact their recruiters for an interview.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16449 on: June 12, 2014, 10:40:03 AM »
I know that it is a matter of perspective, but when a budget travel site suggests that a $400 per night hotel is reasonable, it drives me crazy! Maybe I'm cheap, but I won't pay more than $200 per night in a very nice hotel room and we are glutted with them!

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #16450 on: June 12, 2014, 10:45:43 AM »
For Christmas, my sister gave us a "future voucher" for a one-night hotel stay wherever we wanted, and my dad just gave me a check for my birthday, with the suggestion that DH and I do something fun and interesting with it, and added some info on a walking food tour in another city. I thought it'd be fun to visit that city and have a mini anniversary vacation. Unfortunately because of DD's busy summer schedule and because she's now in school, combined with lodging places already pretty heavily booked for the summer, it's impossible to find any dates that work.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Snooks

« Reply #16451 on: June 12, 2014, 12:56:16 PM »
Vaguebooking. A typical example of it on my feed today the only thing missing was a "I'll message you" when someone asked what was wrong. At 30 we should be past this.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16452 on: June 12, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
I have a childhood friend who vaguebooks all the time. She is the same age as my younger sister, so one year younger than me. Most of the vaguebooking is about her teenage DS, the schools, and being bored in a small town in the summer.

Deity forbid anyone agree with her, especially anyone who moved away from small town. The message says she is bored in small town, but any agreement or disagreement will result in a Rah Rah argument about how small town is the best place to be!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16453 on: June 12, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »
The vending machine just ate my money and even though I didn't lose much money, I don't have the snack I'm craving :P

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #16454 on: June 12, 2014, 03:06:31 PM »
My firm manages a certain kind of construction project.

One of my jobs is to order material for the projects.
I create purchase orders showing amount, cost, delivery, warranty info and so forth.

This week I placed an order for Left-Handed Thudwhackers.
I needed 4 different flavours of Thudwhacker, so the Purchase Order had 4 parts.

In each and every part of the purchase order, I included the following information:

(1) Left-Handed Thudwhacker
Flavour: Grape
Model: x293u85u
Specification: blah-blah-blah

Deliver to:
Paul's Penguin PogoStix
1234 Blowfish Lane
Zipadee doo dah

I even changed the system specifications to say that the Thudwhackers were going to Paul's Penguin Pogostix.

When the computer spit out the document, the information for delivery was on there in 5 different places - which included being beside each description.

Now, the PO *also* had a different delivery section, so when I sent the document to the vendor, I added (in bold) "Do Not Deliver to Harry's HorseBarn, deliver to...." and I included the delivery location a *sixth* time.
In the subject line of the email I indicated there was a delivery note.

(You can see where this is going, right)  ::)

Someone from the Thudwhacker store called to ask...where to deliver the materials....  :o

After I finished banging my head on the desk, I forwarded the query to Guy Who Ordered The Thudwhackers and asked him to "Please tell this person where to put his Thudwhackers".  :P