News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 20, 2018, 11:09:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5484533 times)

zinzin

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16470 on: July 07, 2014, 12:22:21 PM »
She may have forgotten that she didn't reply-easy to do in the early parenting days. seems extreme to be taking the worst interpretation without at least trying to contact her again.

audhs

« Reply #16471 on: July 07, 2014, 12:38:07 PM »
After swimming and playing with my daughter for two hours at the local pool, I'm thinking, "That should hold her for awhile."  As we are driving home, "Mommy, what should we play when we get home?"

Nothing because I'm tired and don't want to spend every waking hour playing with you!  Sorry kid.  Plus, I need to do laundry, vacuum the living room and sit on my butt and read for awhile.

Kids!  They are SO insatiable!
Lol that was my oldest dd now 9, except that she'd ask on the way to the pool what we were going to do after we went swimming. At three I put her in preschool a few mornings a week because I couldn't keep up with her need to do things.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #16472 on: July 07, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »
I called our local Chinese takeout to order food.

Me: I'd like the shrimp chow mein lunch special. With an egg roll.
Cashier: Do you want noodles? That's lo mein.
Me: No, I want vegetables, shrimp and rice.
Cashier: Not noodles?
Me: Correct. Vegetables, shrimp and rice.
Cashier: Shrimp Chow Mein, do you want soup, soda or an egg roll?
Me: An egg roll.
Cashier: Ten minutes.

I know they have a lot of customers who order the wrong thing, but I go there every week! I've learned not to get anything fried, but all the stir fried food and simple dishes are excellent and a very good bargain.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

jaxsue

« Reply #16473 on: July 07, 2014, 12:47:42 PM »
I lost my last job due to a bad injury, and even if I wanted to I can't go back to doing it. So I've been job-hunting for quite awhile. The economy truly does stink! I get advice from people, and while I appreciate their input some of it is ridiculous. My mom, bless her, hasn't held a job outside the home since 1951. She knows I'm a good writer and says I should write a children's book. Mom has no idea the horrible condition the publishing industry is in. There are a few success stories, but it ain't what it used to be.
It's frustrating!  :P

Best job hunting advice I was ever given: don't listen to anyone who hasn't had to look for a job in your field in the past couple years, unless they're hiring.  Parental advice along the lines of "don't spend all day on the computer filling out applications, get out there and GIVE them your resume!" pretty much ignores the reality that most companies do everything online--even some fast food places.

Great advice!  :)

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #16474 on: July 07, 2014, 01:34:07 PM »
My once best friend found out she was pregnant last November.  She just recently gave birth and while I understand that she is very busy being a new mom, I don't think a reply to my text about what supplies she needs is less important than the seemingly millions of stupid things she has been posting/sharing on Facebook.  I guess she won't be getting anything from me at all seeing how I can't even get her address from her.  I'm mostly just irritated that she can't even be bothered to respond; it's a clear sign, though, that this friendship is no more.

I was on Facebook a lot when I first had babies because it was my connection to the outside world. Posting on Facebook frequently doesn't mean you have the ability to remember a text you read yesterday. I can think of several life events--not just new babies--where Facebook would be possible, but remembering to reply to texts would be hit or miss. I still forget to reply to the odd text now and then if I'm having a busy week or am under a lot of stress.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Xandraea

« Reply #16475 on: July 07, 2014, 01:35:16 PM »
After swimming and playing with my daughter for two hours at the local pool, I'm thinking, "That should hold her for awhile."  As we are driving home, "Mommy, what should we play when we get home?"

Nothing because I'm tired and don't want to spend every waking hour playing with you!  Sorry kid.  Plus, I need to do laundry, vacuum the living room and sit on my butt and read for awhile.

Kids!  They are SO insatiable!

We're going to play that fun game where you sit quietly and watch a Disney movie while Mommy reads her book!  ;D

We're furnishing our new house atm which is both fun and exciting - however it also leads to those discussions where we're both standing there with a tape measure going - if the couch measures 270mm then it's going to block the windows if we put it along this wall, and it's going to block the door to the balcony if we turn it this way, but maybe if we sort of turned it 90 degrees - but then where do we put the TV, the rug and the reading lamp! It's like playing super advanced real-world Tetris

Why can't the walls of the house be made of rubber?  :P

^^ That's one of my favourite games! Of course, I always had a book in my hand when my child was young, and read to/with her a lot, so she learned to read early. Sad, it seems the way things are going, our great grandchildren won't know an actual page-turning book except as something people once read long ago (darn electronic conveniences!)

As for house furnishings adventures, I used to play The Sims (1, 2, and 3), and often thought it'd be nice if we could remodel and decorate houses like that in real life: Let's just push this wall out here, move this window over there, toss on a second, third or fourth story, click a button and change the floor covering, plant the garden all randomly then just move bushes/plants around once they were fully grown... possibilities! (Oh, and having a pet Unicorn, that'd be cool! 8)

meronym

« Reply #16476 on: July 07, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »
My dad, yesterday:

"I'm trying to remember the lyrics to a song I used to like.  It was called Twenty Tiny Fingers, Twenty Tiny Toes.  It's driving me nuts that I can't remember!"

My dad has a computer.  Somehow, the idea of using the Net to find out this information never occurs to him ...

I think this is generational. In my experience (generally speaking, of course), younger people tend to think "Oh, I need to know something, I'll just Google" while that may not be the first instinct for older folks.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #16477 on: July 07, 2014, 02:30:30 PM »
Being one of those older folks, that's definitely part of it.  I rarely think to google something and when I do, I have a hard time with getting the right combination of words to find what I want.

But I also have a coworker who is the same age as I am who is an absolute google ninja.  If he can't find it, no one can!  So I think personal interests also come into play.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

BeagleMommy

« Reply #16478 on: July 07, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »
DS is making super gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches on Wednesday so he asked me to get sourdough bread.  I did and put it in the fridge.  Saturday we went to a huge flea market/farmer's market.  Here's the conversation between me and DH:

DH:  I thought you didn't buy bread at the farmer's market.
Me:  I didn't.  I bought biscotti.
DH:  No. You bought sourdough bread.
Me:  I bought the sourdough at the market for DS.  I only bought biscotti at the farmer's market.
DH:  There are two loaves of sourdough in the fridge.
Me:  No, there's only one.  I only bought one loaf of sourdough and I bought it at Wegman's.
DH:  (now angry) I know what I saw in the fridge and you bought sourdough at the farmer's market.
Me:  (sighing) Look, I'm the one who buys the groceries and I know what I bought.  I'm not going to argue with you.

DS comes home.

DH:  Show your mother that she bought two loaves of sourdough and put them in the fridge.
DS:  Dad, there's only one loaf of sourdough in the fridge.  The other loaf is the rye bread Mom buys for you at Wegman's.
DH:  But the sourdough was bought at the farmer's market, right?!
DS:  Um, Dad, the sourdough has a Wegman's label on the bag.
DH:  Well, it looked different.

Gah!  I know what I buy.  Why is it so hard for him to conceive that I know what I have in the fridge?

Mental Magpie

« Reply #16479 on: July 07, 2014, 02:48:15 PM »
I forgot to add that I had messaged her more than once on Facebook, too, which obviously changes things; my apologies.

Also, it was when I realized that I thought everything she posted was stupid that I then realized that I was beginning to not like her anymore, which is fine, people grow apart. I'm still annoyed that she can't be bothered to answer me, but that's not why I'm "ending the friendship", it is just obvious to me that her lack of replies means we're growing apart.

Adelaide

« Reply #16480 on: July 07, 2014, 03:20:41 PM »
I have never been to a potluck with people my own age that I would describe as a true "potluck". I grew up around southern church potlucks, where there was so much food the tables threatened to buckle. At my first weekly potluck with people my own age, I brought appetizers that were gone in five seconds because no one else but myself and the host had prepared anything. (Some people ended up ordering a pizza.) The next week I brought dessert and most people ate dessert for dinner (I ate a lot of the host's provided fruit platter instead) because no one brought hardly anything, and after the third week the "weekly" potluck was dissolved because the host couldn't get anyone to actually pitch in.

I recently went to a 4th of July potluck and lo and behold, no one brought anything. The hostess originally said she'd just be providing burgers/buns/toppings, but by the time the date rolled around she stressed herself out and felt the need to provide not just the main dish but grilled veggies, a side salad, and drinks. The only other contributions were two six-packs of beer, and there were about 10 people in and out of the party. I honestly can't see myself ever having a potluck. I keep hearing excuses like "Oh, I don't know how to cook." Great, bring a veggie tray. Bring chips and salsa. Do what I did and cut fruit into fun shapes. If you want to sit and eat the food everyone else has brought at a potluck bring something.

magicdomino

« Reply #16481 on: July 07, 2014, 03:47:27 PM »
That's why we no longer have potlucks at the office.  Less than half of the employees bring food.  We learned not to offer a cash option because then we would get mostly cash and even fewer dishes.  All well and fine if you are contributing to a lunch "catered" by Costco, not much fun if you were hoping for a wide assortment of dishes.   In all fairness, a number of co-workers take public transportation to work, which makes hauling slow-cookers and cassarole dishes difficult.  If someone asked for an alternative, we would ask them to bring sodas or napkins.  It just got to the point where it wasn't worth the effort.

mlmama

« Reply #16482 on: July 07, 2014, 04:11:57 PM »
My current up-the-wall is the two grown men in my house forgetting that the sponge for dishes fits in their hands as well as a video game controller. I make sure all the dishes are done on my days off, I believe with both of them having the past 3 days off, one of them would have done the same!

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #16483 on: July 07, 2014, 07:06:48 PM »
Why can't the walls of the house be made of rubber?  :P

Maybe you should start a Kickstarter campaign  ;D

On that note, have you all seen that Kickstarter for the guy who wanted to make potato salad? So far he's gotten more than $17,000 in pledges.  ::) And now Kickstarter is littered with dozens of copycats who I assume are hoping for similar "success"--"I want to make a pizza like the one in this picture!" "I want to make a cake for my girlriend!" "I want to make bacon cupcakes, but I don't have bacon--help!" and the latest gem, "I want to have a boiled egg with my tea." Yeah, really cool, jam up Kickstarter with your stupid non-legitimate needs.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #16484 on: July 07, 2014, 08:51:52 PM »
Our office potlucks are good, my church potlucks are good, but I won't got to any for my Forensic club at my school as they have terrible success with offerings and attendance. I'm not staying two hours after work to eat packaged cupcakes and pretzels with whatever main course I make. Also, we have so many vegetarian student club members that it is difficult to plan a dish that most people can eat.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien