Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1738181 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16485 on: June 17, 2014, 01:55:54 PM »
We have a local news anchor who wears really crusty, caked on makeup + ratty hair extensions. It's always distracting when she's on the air to begin with (yes, I too wonder how I can get a job where I don't get fired being for that silly looking). But the other night, she had big, visible globs of mascara in the center of each of her false eyelashes. Which were falling off to begin with. So she spent the whole newscast going "*blink blink blink* oh deity, can I twitch enough to unglue the tips of my top lashes from the globs *blink blink blink*"

Shalamar

« Reply #16486 on: June 17, 2014, 04:47:32 PM »
From Not Always FriendlyTry this beer!

Long story short:  guy offers beer to girl, girl says no because she doesn't like beer, guy insists that she doesn't like beer because she hasn't tried The Good Kind.

This annoys the daylights out of me.  Take no for an answer, dude!   (Personally, I don't like beer, either - and I've tried a lot of them.   They all taste the same to me.)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #16487 on: June 17, 2014, 04:54:46 PM »

Long story short:  guy offers beer to girl, girl says no because she doesn't like beer, guy insists that she doesn't like beer because she hasn't tried The Good Kind.

So icky and creepy. He sounds like the pushy guy from the old Trojan c_ndom "not a pig anymore" commercial:
http://youtu.be/ab8X-I-cXEo

Carotte

« Reply #16488 on: June 17, 2014, 05:00:33 PM »

This annoys the daylights out of me.  Take no for an answer, dude!   (Personally, I don't like beer, either - and I've tried a lot of them.   They all taste the same to me.)

Well, she did end up asking for one, she didn't, herself, say "drop it, I don't like it". They were just having a conversation. It wasn't even a matter of "I don't drink beer/ I don't drink" but "I don't like". I don't see anything wrong with him asking what she doesn't like.

Shalamar

« Reply #16489 on: June 17, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »
I'm still leaning towards "creepy", myself.  It's just the way he kept suggesting that she have "just a sip".  I got the impression that she finally said yes just to make him shut up and/or go away.

Not to mention what struck me as an "I know better than you" attitude, which rubbed me up the wrong way.  That's my opinion, anyway. 

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #16490 on: June 17, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »
The other thing about that "but you just haven't tried good beer/real coffee/my potato salad" is that it assumes that the speaker, whether a relative or a complete stranger, knows more about what I like than I do. And that I've never had that conversation before:

If I give in and let Person A persuade me to try what they think is good beer, or coffee or okra or peanut butter or congee [I do like one of those things], and I don't like their favorite, they might grudgingly admit that I was right, I don't like beer. But the next person is going to start from the same assumption of the superiority of their taste over mine, and may not lay off when I say "funny, that's what the people who pressured me into trying the last three beers said."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

CuriousParty

« Reply #16491 on: June 17, 2014, 08:57:03 PM »
To be fair, you never do know.  I had a friend who insisted she hated all fruit pies, especially apple. Not being one to do the "You just haven't had the right...." (and perfectly happy not to share apple pie) I just let that one slide by. Until she mentioned once that she didn't see the appeal in "applesauce in soggy pastry." Well, after I picked my jaw up off the floor, and recovered from the shock, I inquired further - surely she had experienced real apple pie at one point (no apple pie I have ever encountered could be described as applesauce in its entirety). However, further probing proved that, no, she had never had apple pie with chunks of actual apple. It was applesauce consistency and wet pastry. At that point I did go so far as to suggest that, perhaps, she had simply never had good apple pie.

Unfortunately, she explained that the apple pie in question was her mother's.

Fortunately, she agreed with me that it was likely a poor pie, especially after I described what I know to be apple pie.

We subsequently made a fruit pie together, and she sampled my apple pie at one point, and allowed then that while these would never be her favorite dessert, there was some previously unrecognized merit to the whole food class.

So, as I say, you never do know.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16492 on: June 17, 2014, 09:54:07 PM »

This drives me nuts. I have a friend who dies this. I don't like sweet potatoes. Not chips, fries, baked, mashed, or any other way. I just don't like the taste. She insists its because "you've never had them made the proper way' um yes, I've tried them many ways and don't like any of them!

As for beer; i have a friend who loves it. I don't. we were away one weekend and having dinner in this really cool brewery. she got the beer sampler, and offered me some. I tried one, nad told her, while I know its "good" vs. the cheap stuff, I still don't like it!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16493 on: June 17, 2014, 10:05:10 PM »
My DH takes a blood pressure medication that is a combination of two. For two generic once a day tablets, he pays $7 a month.

For the combined one? $50 copay per month, $225 total.

Adelaide

« Reply #16494 on: June 17, 2014, 10:09:47 PM »
I hate when people "hide the ball" when they're complaining, especially about something they have a large amount of control over, and omit really significant facts. The other day an acquaintance was saying that she was irritated because her roommate moved out for part of the summer and gave the boyfriend a key, and the boyfriend's a jerk and always having loud parties. Acquaintance went on to lament how awful he was, and how she couldn't stand him and couldn't sleep, and how she "didn't know what to do", etc. Where we live (hybridized student apartments) that's a very clear violation of the rules and I told her that she could get him kicked out without much trouble. She hemmed and hawed about the logistics, about how all his stuff was there and how she didn't want her roommate to hate her when she came back, and I kept offering solutions. Finally she let slip that he always stocks the fridge insanely well and she doesn't have to buy any food or alcohol so there's no way she's kicking him out.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #16495 on: June 18, 2014, 04:11:40 AM »
To be fair, you never do know.  I had a friend who insisted she hated all fruit pies, especially apple. Not being one to do the "You just haven't had the right...." (and perfectly happy not to share apple pie) I just let that one slide by. Until she mentioned once that she didn't see the appeal in "applesauce in soggy pastry." Well, after I picked my jaw up off the floor, and recovered from the shock, I inquired further - surely she had experienced real apple pie at one point (no apple pie I have ever encountered could be described as applesauce in its entirety). However, further probing proved that, no, she had never had apple pie with chunks of actual apple. It was applesauce consistency and wet pastry. At that point I did go so far as to suggest that, perhaps, she had simply never had good apple pie.

Unfortunately, she explained that the apple pie in question was her mother's.

Fortunately, she agreed with me that it was likely a poor pie, especially after I described what I know to be apple pie.

We subsequently made a fruit pie together, and she sampled my apple pie at one point, and allowed then that while these would never be her favorite dessert, there was some previously unrecognized merit to the whole food class.

So, as I say, you never do know.

I had a friend who felt the same way about crab cakes.  I live in Maryland and we are very very proud of our crabcakes.  She was a midwest transplant who moved here for work.  apparently all of the crab cakes she had had in the 2 years she was living here were in chain restaurants that were not based in MD.  So the crab cakes she had were not very good, had too much filler, and were often fried to death and soggy. 

So about a week before she leaves we go to a hole in the wall restaurant on the water and I order a crab cake platter.  It was perfect!  I give her a bite of it and she was dumbfounded.  She really liked it, but didn't know what she was missing.  So for Xmas that year I sent her freeze dried crab cakes from an inn on the Eastern Shore :)

Adelaide

« Reply #16496 on: June 18, 2014, 09:24:53 AM »
I hate when people say things like "Oh, when I was your age..." or "You'll think about it differently when you're older" and they're all of five years older than me.  ??? Stop conflating life changes (getting a job, moving away, graduating) with a significant increase in age. Maybe that's just me splitting hairs again, but when you're four or five years older than someone else don't start off your explanation with "Well, at a certain age..."

nuit93

« Reply #16497 on: June 18, 2014, 11:28:10 AM »
I hate when people say things like "Oh, when I was your age..." or "You'll think about it differently when you're older" and they're all of five years older than me.  ??? Stop conflating life changes (getting a job, moving away, graduating) with a significant increase in age. Maybe that's just me splitting hairs again, but when you're four or five years older than someone else don't start off your explanation with "Well, at a certain age..."

I've had that happen, typically from someone who's only a few years older but is married with several kids--telling my single self that someday I'll obviously want the same life because who wouldn't?

JadeAngel

« Reply #16498 on: June 18, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »

I had someone do that to me. In a group of female friends she was complaining bitterly because her BF of a few months didn't want to move in together. I said something or other non-commital and she smugly said 'Oh you'll understand when you get to be our age'

To which I replied "I'm actually two years older than you"  ;D

Carotte

« Reply #16499 on: June 19, 2014, 07:52:59 AM »
I ordered a pair of shoes from a website last week, I'm even supposed to pick them up this afternoon, and I'll have to send them back as soon as I get them to re-order them with a -30% coupon  >:(::)
I didn't wait for the sale coupons to start (official sales start next week but a lot of shop have VIP coupons for those who get the mailing list) because the brand I got is always excluded from those %off.
At least the return is free :) and 30% of a little more than a 100 is not negligible for me

They better not come around and tell me they actually don't have my size after I send the first one back!
I might even wait to have the second pair in my hands before sending the first one back just to be sure.