News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 25, 2015, 02:07:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 2109827 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16650 on: July 03, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »
Casual computer games that think you need a cheering section.  Make a move, and an animated character says "Good job!" or "That was amazing!"  I have several games that I play with the sound off, so that I don't have to hear it. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Adelaide

« Reply #16651 on: July 03, 2014, 10:05:02 PM »
I feel like there are basically three "tiers" that you move through in your relationship with people. Like the first is when you meet and you're typically pleasant and talk about agreeable things like the weather or how you met, or the people you met through, etc. The second is where you get to know them better and find out about their habits, their peeves, likes and dislikes, and you start having Actual Discussions where you can kind of start to disagree or discuss certain things that you wouldn't at the beginning. The third stage is where you're close and you feel comfortable teasing them or arguing with them and knowing they'll take it the right way and won't be automatically offended, because you've sort of laid a foundation for it.

I was at a work party and we were all at Tier I with each other. I still don't know some names. My coworker, however, (the one I've complained about before, thinking she knows better than everyone else/is right all the time) went straight for arguing about literally everything anyone mentioned. From the weather ("No, it isn't going to rain.") to clothing ("That trend must just be in this country, I never see it elsewhere") to food ("Don't you think it's fine sitting out? It'll still be cold enough when we eat.") and it just killed the conversation. But it wasn't that she just disagreed/was argumentative about everything, she never offered ways to continue the conversation. Just jumped in, said her sentence, and sat back while we all stared at each other and tried to find a new topic.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #16652 on: July 04, 2014, 01:00:43 AM »
All the Amazon listings for "Prime Pantry only" and "add on only" I have to wade through annoy me. I don't want to buy a Prime membership. And I'd like to buy one flavor of granola bar without "sorry, this is only available as an add on when you spend $35+"

gmatoy

« Reply #16653 on: July 04, 2014, 02:49:35 AM »
I feel like there are basically three "tiers" that you move through in your relationship with people. Like the first is when you meet and you're typically pleasant and talk about agreeable things like the weather or how you met, or the people you met through, etc. The second is where you get to know them better and find out about their habits, their peeves, likes and dislikes, and you start having Actual Discussions where you can kind of start to disagree or discuss certain things that you wouldn't at the beginning. The third stage is where you're close and you feel comfortable teasing them or arguing with them and knowing they'll take it the right way and won't be automatically offended, because you've sort of laid a foundation for it.

I was at a work party and we were all at Tier I with each other. I still don't know some names. My coworker, however, (the one I've complained about before, thinking she knows better than everyone else/is right all the time) went straight for arguing about literally everything anyone mentioned. From the weather ("No, it isn't going to rain.") to clothing ("That trend must just be in this country, I never see it elsewhere") to food ("Don't you think it's fine sitting out? It'll still be cold enough when we eat.") and it just killed the conversation. But it wasn't that she just disagreed/was argumentative about everything, she never offered ways to continue the conversation. Just jumped in, said her sentence, and sat back while we all stared at each other and tried to find a new topic.

But I'm betting that there is one thing that you all (excluding her, of course) agreed upon! ;)

Shalamar

« Reply #16654 on: July 04, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »
My husband and I went to a wedding a few years ago for one of his old friends.  There were a few guys there that he hadn't seen in a while, and he was excited to catch up.  He found one friend, David, and they proceeded to have this conversation:

Husband:  David, great to see you!  How's your wife?
David:    *curls lip*  Don't ask.
Husband:  Okay ... how are your kids?
David:  *curls lip*  Ugh.
Husband:  *getting desperate*  How's the new job working out?
David:  *curls lip*  Don't even go there.

My husband suddenly developed an urgent need for a drink and left David to his own devices at that point!

Allyson

« Reply #16655 on: July 04, 2014, 01:04:42 PM »
Shalamar, I saw a post someone made years ago here about a similar situation. After about the third 'don't ask' she went "....well, uh...aren't kittens cute?" Made me laugh really hard.

Girly

« Reply #16656 on: July 04, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »
All the Amazon listings for "Prime Pantry only" and "add on only" I have to wade through annoy me. I don't want to buy a Prime membership. And I'd like to buy one flavor of granola bar without "sorry, this is only available as an add on when you spend $35+"

I do have a Prime membership, and this also annoys me to no end. I just want the stinking granola bar!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #16657 on: July 04, 2014, 05:45:14 PM »
My small annoyance? Elvish. I am writing an LotR crossover fic, and I need elvish names for some of the warriors. This... is not going well!

daen

« Reply #16658 on: July 04, 2014, 07:41:22 PM »
My small annoyance? Elvish. I am writing an LotR crossover fic, and I need elvish names for some of the warriors. This... is not going well!

You've probably checked this out already, but just in case you've missed it, I present... The Elvish Name Generator.
http://www.chriswetherell.com/elf/index.php

It was the origin of my nom de internet last name. I had entered "daen" in the first name blank, and left the last name empty. It returned an error message: "Choose wiser. You need a last name." In my mind, I inverted the order of the two sentences, and I am frequently daen wiser when I wish to be semi-anonymous.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #16659 on: July 04, 2014, 08:29:50 PM »
The genius dad who thought he could let his son hold a piccolo pete and waited FOUR HOURS to bring his son to the hospital.

This kid is three, and his eyelids are fused shut by burns. Again, FOUR HOURS before dad thought he should bring him to the hospital.

CPS is on the way.

It's taking everything I have not to use foul language right now.

ETA: I was updated right as I finished typing. The surgery was successful and his actual eyes and vision are fine. Thank Deity.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:31:30 PM by The TARDIS »
Who is the Doctor?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16660 on: July 04, 2014, 08:51:10 PM »
I'm so glad the child is ok.

CuriousParty

« Reply #16661 on: July 04, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »
I had to go google a piccolo pete because I had no idea what it was and it never in a million years occurred to me that anyone would let a three year old hold a firework of any description.

Foul language, indeed.

Adelaide

« Reply #16662 on: July 05, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »
My parents keep telling me what I want to do with my life. Yes, what I want to do with my life. My father keeps saying things like "You should just work at a big firm and make six figures a year." Yes father, I will just go up to the big firm and claim a cubicle. Just walk in. My mother keeps insisting that "You don't want to get a JD and not practice law." Lots of people do that, but my parents have this idea in their heads about What Attorneys Do and they refuse to deviate from that. Then when I do something non-traditional, like go to law school after majoring in a hard science, they act like it was Our Idea All Along when things work out, and they give themselves a pat on the back and brag to their friends.

nuit93

« Reply #16663 on: July 05, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »
My parents keep telling me what I want to do with my life. Yes, what I want to do with my life. My father keeps saying things like "You should just work at a big firm and make six figures a year." Yes father, I will just go up to the big firm and claim a cubicle. Just walk in. My mother keeps insisting that "You don't want to get a JD and not practice law." Lots of people do that, but my parents have this idea in their heads about What Attorneys Do and they refuse to deviate from that. Then when I do something non-traditional, like go to law school after majoring in a hard science, they act like it was Our Idea All Along when things work out, and they give themselves a pat on the back and brag to their friends.

I've been getting this too.  It's like "you have a college degree, why aren't you making the big bucks already?"  Um...my degree is in creative writing, not a STEM field. 

Then it was "you worked in libraries a long time, why not get your Master's?"  Well, I applied to library school and didn't get in.  Which turned out to be a good thing--I'd have been another $35-50k in debt with no guarantee of a better paying job than I have now.

Did my sister get any of this grief after she got her BA?  Of course not, she married a programmer from a well-off family  :-\

Sometimes it's just frustrating, my mom and sister have a lot in common since they both live in nice neighborhoods and don't NEED to work, they just do it until they can retire/start having babies (respectively).  I rent in a cheap but not awful part of town and need to work for everything I have, I do all right but don't have a whole lot left over for luxuries.  Heck, I cheered at finding a free bookcase in my complex stairwell. 

I just can't relate to them.

mmswm

« Reply #16664 on: July 05, 2014, 04:26:23 PM »

I've been getting this too.  It's like "you have a college degree, why aren't you making the big bucks already?"  Um...my degree is in creative writing, not a STEM field.

Then it was "you worked in libraries a long time, why not get your Master's?"  Well, I applied to library school and didn't get in.  Which turned out to be a good thing--I'd have been another $35-50k in debt with no guarantee of a better paying job than I have now.

Did my sister get any of this grief after she got her BA?  Of course not, she married a programmer from a well-off family  :-\

Sometimes it's just frustrating, my mom and sister have a lot in common since they both live in nice neighborhoods and don't NEED to work, they just do it until they can retire/start having babies (respectively).  I rent in a cheap but not awful part of town and need to work for everything I have, I do all right but don't have a whole lot left over for luxuries.  Heck, I cheered at finding a free bookcase in my complex stairwell. 

I just can't relate to them.

RE the bolded:  My master's is in Mathematics, and I still can't find a job after over 1000 applications.  The economy sucks. 

*twiddles thumbs and waits for the relevant states to get my teaching credentials transferred over and evaluated*

And yes, it's driving me up a wall, people's comments about my lack of a job.  I put in a minimum of 5 applications per weekday, and one or two on the weekend days (not as many postings on the weekends).  I apply for everything I can even pretend to be qualified for.  My degrees are pure math but most of my work experience is teaching, with some experience in banking.  I can't even get a low skill job because they think I'm going to up and run as soon as a job in my field opens up.  *sigh*
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)