News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 05:36:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5500339 times)

Allyson

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16650 on: July 17, 2014, 03:44:06 PM »
Oh wow the old TV shows comments are making me laugh. I often feel like people who talk about how much better TV was in the past are probably viewing it through a nostalgia filter. I read something really interesting about how "the best music ever" to you is probably something you discovered when you were a teenager. So you'll think of it as "oh, everything today is terrible" but if you were a teenager today you'd probably think "the best music ever" was something you discovered now.

MrTango

« Reply #16651 on: July 17, 2014, 03:49:39 PM »
Companies whose "on-hold" music repeats the same tune over and over, and then interrupts itself with the sound of a phone ringing.  Then, just as your hopes have been raised, they're dashed again, because the "phone ringing" was just a way to introduce some smooth-toned individual saying "For more information on (blah), please visit our website."  Then it's back to the on-hold music.  Gah!

Or when they interrupt you to tell you to keep holding and that your call is very important to them.  Frankly I'd rather listen to music than have them get my hopes up repeatedly.

It's even worse when the sound quality of the music makes it seem like the recording was made using 18th-century technology.  You can't blame the quality of the phone signal, because the recorded "all representatives are busy" is crystal clear.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #16652 on: July 17, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »
Our satellite provider added a new channel that show a lot of TV shows DH and I grew up watching.  He's now binge watching The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman.  Sure, I liked these shows when they were new in the 1970s, but now they are so cornball that they make me go  ::).

Hahaha - I have several of those channels, and was absolutely thrilled a couple years ago to find they were running Emergency! my all time fave as a kid. Now? Um no. while I did watch each and every episode, I began to question why I thought they were so awesome. Then again, 1970's, and only a few channels, and that was it. No DVR, VCR, DVD, Internet or anywhere else you could watch at your whim.

I watched the first season if 21 jump street on Netflix and man was it bad but I loved it, so much as a kid.  ;D

And man, Johnny was just a baby!  He was cute then but boy he's aged very well. :)  :-*
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #16653 on: July 17, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »
Our satellite provider added a new channel that show a lot of TV shows DH and I grew up watching.  He's now binge watching The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman.  Sure, I liked these shows when they were new in the 1970s, but now they are so cornball that they make me go  ::).

No matter, if he wants to watch them, fine.  If I don't feel like leaving the room I'll read.  Oh, but that's not good enough for DH.  I should enjoy them with him.  Every Wednesday night we have the same conversation:

DH:  I can't believe you're not watching this.  You said you liked it.
Me:  I liked it when it was first aired and there were only 4 TV channels available.  You know, 1974.
DH:  It's still the same.
Me:  Exactly.  I'm not the same, though.  I grew up and evolved.  If you like it, enjoy it.  I'll read.
DH:  What's wrong with you?!

:o ::) >:(

LOL!  DH and I recently discovered Kolchak: The Nightstalker on Netflix and having fond memories of it scaring the pants off us as kids.  So we watched a couple of episodes and couldn't stop laughing at how awful the special effects and monsters were.  I mean, one of them had an actor dressed as a lizard.  And not realistically, I might add.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #16654 on: July 17, 2014, 04:19:55 PM »
A little while ago I posted about somebody who has to do the same sort of task for me every month, and yet somehow it always comes as a shock to him that I need it done again.  I just had this conversation:

Me:  So, Arnold, have you done the (blah) task?
Him:  What?  Is that due today?  I didn't know!
Me:   The task is assigned to you, and it's got today's date on it, so yeah.
Him:  Nobody told me!
Me:  I sent out an e-mail when I first created the tasks for everyone.
Him:  That was so long ago!
Me:  It was July 3.  Two weeks ago.
Him:  Exactly!  I lost track!
Me:  ...
Him:  So, what do I do with this?
Me:  Exactly the same thing you did last time.
Him:  I don't remember what that was!

Head, meet desk.

How does he still have a job?

turtleIScream

« Reply #16655 on: July 17, 2014, 04:21:38 PM »
I bought some color-coded cleaning cloths a few weeks ago. They are even labeled as to purpose, so no wondering if it's blue or yellow for glass. The pack came with 1 pink (furniture polishing), 2 blue (heavy duty scrubbing), 2 green (dry dusting), and 1 yellow (glass). I used the yellow one on my glass cooktop, and it was amazing! Yay; I finally found a cleaning product I love! Now, I cannot find that stupid yellow cloth anywhere, after only one use. All the other cloths are exactly where they should be, but not my miracle yellow! As far as I know, the cloths were only sold in a multi-pack, so no easily replacing just the one.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

shhh its me

« Reply #16656 on: July 17, 2014, 05:05:44 PM »
I bought some color-coded cleaning cloths a few weeks ago. They are even labeled as to purpose, so no wondering if it's blue or yellow for glass. The pack came with 1 pink (furniture polishing), 2 blue (heavy duty scrubbing), 2 green (dry dusting), and 1 yellow (glass). I used the yellow one on my glass cooktop, and it was amazing! Yay; I finally found a cleaning product I love! Now, I cannot find that stupid yellow cloth anywhere, after only one use. All the other cloths are exactly where they should be, but not my miracle yellow! As far as I know, the cloths were only sold in a multi-pack, so no easily replacing just the one.

I love those so much.  Another manufacture makes ones with a glass one almost as good that you can buy singles of. Quickie sold online as singles from home depot.

I got mine with the magic yellow cloth from target , I cant find them online.

gmatoy

« Reply #16657 on: July 17, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »
People who think that because I don't work during the summer, I have unlimited time to do what ever they want done. Bonus points if you correctly identify who did this today.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #16658 on: July 17, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
^DH?
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Emmy

« Reply #16659 on: July 17, 2014, 10:08:35 PM »
I got a e-mail from a clothing store that said "Extra 30% off Everything", then listed 3 or 4 exceptions.  Why say everything if it clearly isn't everything?  It should say "extra 30% off most items".  I just find that so annoying.

gmatoy

siamesecat2965

« Reply #16661 on: July 18, 2014, 10:06:57 AM »
The fact that I just discovered yet another mistake made by the temp who filled in for me while I was on medical leave in March.  I posted about her in the work folder.  This mistake could cost the student money if we don't correct it expeditiously.

All she was required to do was walk a form down the hall to the registrar.  She put the form in the student's file!  Grrrrr!!!!!

I had something happen to me re: tuition reimbursement which DID cost me. My company has a very generous tuition reimbursement program. I paid nothing for my Masters. And, I had the added bonus that they'd pay up front, and if I failed to get the required grades, I'd have to reimburse, where many companies make you pay, and they'll reimburse once you provide proof of grades.

Anyway, and I'm a bit fuzzy on the rules, but I believe they are IRS, not my company's rules, tuition is covered and not taxable to the student if it relates to your field of study. But there is some loophole that if a class doens't relate to your job, its taxable, or something like that.

Anyway, someone in our HR dept, who was later let go for performance, failed to do whatever they needed to with my paperwork, and as I had to take a class in ethics, that was considered not related to my job, so I was on the hook for taxes. I found this out in mid-October, and then had to have almost $1200 witheld through the end of the year, to make it right. had they done it months before, the hit wouldn't have been so bad.
I was not amused, but the company's hands were tied.  Thankfully, I moved around the same time, and my security deposit, which I had planned to put in savings, was enough to cover the "shortfall" in my checks.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #16662 on: July 18, 2014, 10:10:01 AM »
An article about d_ting, which said you shouldn't date a lifelong bachelor. Because if you ask him why he's still unmarried, he'll answer he hasn't met the right person yet. And that's not a truthful answer, that's just him silently implying you're The One, even though his secret plan is to break up eventually and never marry anyone. Also, any guy who hasn't been married by 50 will never get married so don't date those guys either  ::)

I can kind of see in some cases, yes, this might be true. But not all. I've known plenty of people, men and women, who got married later in life. for a myriad of reasons.

I did have to laugh. My cousin, who is in her early 50's is doing online dating. She had some real duds to start out with, but now has been seeing someone for a few months, that seems to be a decent guy. However, before him, she swore up and down that any man over the age of 50 who had never been married was afraid of committment, and she would NEVER d@te one. New decent guy? Middle of that decade, and never been married. Oh, but he was focused on his career, etc. Uh huh. I'm glad she's happy but I did haveto remind her of her little, prior rant.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #16663 on: July 18, 2014, 10:13:12 AM »
I got a e-mail from a clothing store that said "Extra 30% off Everything", then listed 3 or 4 exceptions.  Why say everything if it clearly isn't everything?  It should say "extra 30% off most items".  I just find that so annoying.

it is annoying. My store did that on Black Friday. Big promo was 50% off one item until a certain time, then 40% off the restof your purchase. But the actual wording was "and 40% off your entire purchase" Now common sense would dictate if it sounds too good to be true, it is, i.e. almost 90% off one full price item, but I get why some customers were peeved. Most were ok when you explained, but some just had to argue the point to death. Sorry, but we have our instructions, and while the wording was a bit too literal, we cannot give you both discounts on one item.

Twik

« Reply #16664 on: July 18, 2014, 10:15:04 AM »
Well, "Why did you never marry?" is sort of a stupid question.

I'm in my fifties, and never married. What should I say? Because I have no objection to being married. It is, quite truly, that I was never involved with someone who wanted to marry me, when I simultaneously wanted to marry them. This happens, I suspect, much more frequently than a lot of people realize.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"