Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1624699 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16650 on: July 03, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »
The RSVP date on my wedding invitations was very clearly July 5. Out of 118 people, only 37 have responded.

First, it isn't the 5th yet.

Second, a suggestion would be to not have your rsvp around a major holiday where there is no mail delivery.

So I'd actually give people a few days' grace because of that.

Lastly, an invitation isn't a summons. If only 37 people come, so what? It will still be a special day with the people youlove and that love you.

First, yes, thank you, I realize that.  However, with only 3 days remaining and nearly 90 people having not responded, if they do decide to respond, I will receive approximately 90 requests to process in a short amount of time.

Second, was that "suggestion" really necessary?  It seems only catty to me to even phrase it as a "suggestion" when it is far too late to do any good.  Besides, it's not like I'm going to not allow people to come just because they mailed it out before the 5th and it arrived after.  Also, what happened to the whole 2 months prior to the 5th they could have posted it OR e-mailed it.

Lastly, quite obviously it is not a summons.  I am driven up the wall by the fact that there has been no response at all, neither negative nor positive.  Me being driven up the wall may not be something that would drive you up the wall, but there is no reason to belittle me for being irritated.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16651 on: July 03, 2014, 05:12:05 PM »
I only sent out 20 invitations for my wedding and had nothing to do with our kids' invitations, so I have no experience with the massive amount you sent.

I have learned, from my party invitations, that I request RSVP one week before I really need it so that I can to follow-up calls. People are so lax, it is way things have been for many years.

One of the most embarrassing times in my life was about a year after our daughter got married, we received and invitation from one of her friends. I really was wondering what we were planning for that weekend and forgot to send in the decline. Oh! No! The mother of the bride had to call me! It was all very polite: Anne and I had a good talk, so it was kind of nice. By the way, I just said that we couldn't make it with no reason while apologizing all over the place for not responding.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16652 on: July 03, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »
Casual computer games that think you need a cheering section.  Make a move, and an animated character says "Good job!" or "That was amazing!"  I have several games that I play with the sound off, so that I don't have to hear it. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Adelaide

« Reply #16653 on: July 03, 2014, 10:05:02 PM »
I feel like there are basically three "tiers" that you move through in your relationship with people. Like the first is when you meet and you're typically pleasant and talk about agreeable things like the weather or how you met, or the people you met through, etc. The second is where you get to know them better and find out about their habits, their peeves, likes and dislikes, and you start having Actual Discussions where you can kind of start to disagree or discuss certain things that you wouldn't at the beginning. The third stage is where you're close and you feel comfortable teasing them or arguing with them and knowing they'll take it the right way and won't be automatically offended, because you've sort of laid a foundation for it.

I was at a work party and we were all at Tier I with each other. I still don't know some names. My coworker, however, (the one I've complained about before, thinking she knows better than everyone else/is right all the time) went straight for arguing about literally everything anyone mentioned. From the weather ("No, it isn't going to rain.") to clothing ("That trend must just be in this country, I never see it elsewhere") to food ("Don't you think it's fine sitting out? It'll still be cold enough when we eat.") and it just killed the conversation. But it wasn't that she just disagreed/was argumentative about everything, she never offered ways to continue the conversation. Just jumped in, said her sentence, and sat back while we all stared at each other and tried to find a new topic.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #16654 on: July 04, 2014, 01:00:43 AM »
All the Amazon listings for "Prime Pantry only" and "add on only" I have to wade through annoy me. I don't want to buy a Prime membership. And I'd like to buy one flavor of granola bar without "sorry, this is only available as an add on when you spend $35+"

gmatoy

« Reply #16655 on: July 04, 2014, 02:49:35 AM »
I feel like there are basically three "tiers" that you move through in your relationship with people. Like the first is when you meet and you're typically pleasant and talk about agreeable things like the weather or how you met, or the people you met through, etc. The second is where you get to know them better and find out about their habits, their peeves, likes and dislikes, and you start having Actual Discussions where you can kind of start to disagree or discuss certain things that you wouldn't at the beginning. The third stage is where you're close and you feel comfortable teasing them or arguing with them and knowing they'll take it the right way and won't be automatically offended, because you've sort of laid a foundation for it.

I was at a work party and we were all at Tier I with each other. I still don't know some names. My coworker, however, (the one I've complained about before, thinking she knows better than everyone else/is right all the time) went straight for arguing about literally everything anyone mentioned. From the weather ("No, it isn't going to rain.") to clothing ("That trend must just be in this country, I never see it elsewhere") to food ("Don't you think it's fine sitting out? It'll still be cold enough when we eat.") and it just killed the conversation. But it wasn't that she just disagreed/was argumentative about everything, she never offered ways to continue the conversation. Just jumped in, said her sentence, and sat back while we all stared at each other and tried to find a new topic.

But I'm betting that there is one thing that you all (excluding her, of course) agreed upon! ;)

Shalamar

« Reply #16656 on: July 04, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »
My husband and I went to a wedding a few years ago for one of his old friends.  There were a few guys there that he hadn't seen in a while, and he was excited to catch up.  He found one friend, David, and they proceeded to have this conversation:

Husband:  David, great to see you!  How's your wife?
David:    *curls lip*  Don't ask.
Husband:  Okay ... how are your kids?
David:  *curls lip*  Ugh.
Husband:  *getting desperate*  How's the new job working out?
David:  *curls lip*  Don't even go there.

My husband suddenly developed an urgent need for a drink and left David to his own devices at that point!

Allyson

« Reply #16657 on: July 04, 2014, 01:04:42 PM »
Shalamar, I saw a post someone made years ago here about a similar situation. After about the third 'don't ask' she went "....well, uh...aren't kittens cute?" Made me laugh really hard.

Girly

« Reply #16658 on: July 04, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »
All the Amazon listings for "Prime Pantry only" and "add on only" I have to wade through annoy me. I don't want to buy a Prime membership. And I'd like to buy one flavor of granola bar without "sorry, this is only available as an add on when you spend $35+"

I do have a Prime membership, and this also annoys me to no end. I just want the stinking granola bar!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #16659 on: July 04, 2014, 05:45:14 PM »
My small annoyance? Elvish. I am writing an LotR crossover fic, and I need elvish names for some of the warriors. This... is not going well!

daen

« Reply #16660 on: July 04, 2014, 07:41:22 PM »
My small annoyance? Elvish. I am writing an LotR crossover fic, and I need elvish names for some of the warriors. This... is not going well!

You've probably checked this out already, but just in case you've missed it, I present... The Elvish Name Generator.
http://www.chriswetherell.com/elf/index.php

It was the origin of my nom de internet last name. I had entered "daen" in the first name blank, and left the last name empty. It returned an error message: "Choose wiser. You need a last name." In my mind, I inverted the order of the two sentences, and I am frequently daen wiser when I wish to be semi-anonymous.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #16661 on: July 04, 2014, 08:29:50 PM »
The genius dad who thought he could let his son hold a piccolo pete and waited FOUR HOURS to bring his son to the hospital.

This kid is three, and his eyelids are fused shut by burns. Again, FOUR HOURS before dad thought he should bring him to the hospital.

CPS is on the way.

It's taking everything I have not to use foul language right now.

ETA: I was updated right as I finished typing. The surgery was successful and his actual eyes and vision are fine. Thank Deity.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:31:30 PM by The TARDIS »

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16662 on: July 04, 2014, 08:51:10 PM »
I'm so glad the child is ok.

CuriousParty

« Reply #16663 on: July 04, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »
I had to go google a piccolo pete because I had no idea what it was and it never in a million years occurred to me that anyone would let a three year old hold a firework of any description.

Foul language, indeed.

Adelaide

« Reply #16664 on: July 05, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »
My parents keep telling me what I want to do with my life. Yes, what I want to do with my life. My father keeps saying things like "You should just work at a big firm and make six figures a year." Yes father, I will just go up to the big firm and claim a cubicle. Just walk in. My mother keeps insisting that "You don't want to get a JD and not practice law." Lots of people do that, but my parents have this idea in their heads about What Attorneys Do and they refuse to deviate from that. Then when I do something non-traditional, like go to law school after majoring in a hard science, they act like it was Our Idea All Along when things work out, and they give themselves a pat on the back and brag to their friends.