News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 04, 2015, 05:38:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 2248334 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16740 on: July 09, 2014, 09:55:31 AM »
A local restaurant always served perfect, crunchy waffles. But now they've started making waffles with pancake mix instead of waffle mix. Boy can you taste the difference in texture  :P

magicdomino

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16741 on: July 09, 2014, 10:04:13 AM »

When we got our first computer in the 90s, I got in the habit of looking up addresses and phone numbers and reverse phone numbers on the internet for free - it was really handy when questioning phone charges on our bill, back when we didn't have free long distance. Now, all the sites I look at charge; I'm actually thinking of getting a subscription. At the time, we were told the local phone directory and long distance information would be obsolete. Well, I'm back to that, although I still use the Yellow Pages sometimes. (If you know a free white pages, please let me know!)

My brother called me long distance and asked me to look up a local number in the white pages because he couldn't find a free listing online.  He didn't need to know the intricate details of the person's life; he just needed the guy's home phone number.

Shalamar

« Reply #16742 on: July 09, 2014, 10:15:23 AM »
Boy can you taste the difference in texture.

My mother-in-law has always made the best butter tarts, and my husband loves them.  He looks forward to them whenever we visit.  The last time we visited, she presented butter tarts made with store-bought pastry, not home-made.    My husband's sister said in disappointment "Oh, you didn't make the pastry?"  "No, because this is just as good."  Except that it wasn't.  Now, store-bought pastry can be really good (although I'll always prefer home-made), but she hadn't baked it long enough, or something - it was soggy and awful.  Like eating wet newspaper.   :P

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16743 on: July 09, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »
When someone assumes that a person's time is not valuable because they are (any of these: older, younger, retired, etc).

Is there some rule about keeping your schedule open indefinitely for chance events?  :-\
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:55:17 AM by ladyknight1 »

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #16744 on: July 09, 2014, 11:32:46 AM »
When someone assumes that a person's time is not valuable because they are (any of these: older, younger, retired, etc).

Is there some rule about keeping your schedule open indefinitely for chance events?  :-\

That rule exists entirely in entitled people heads not in the real world
Maryland

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16745 on: July 09, 2014, 12:03:20 PM »

Can we add single to that?; and I will agree with you. Just because I don't have an SO or kids, doens't mean I live the life of luxery! 

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16746 on: July 09, 2014, 12:09:20 PM »

Can we add single to that?; and I will agree with you. Just because I don't have an SO or kids, doens't mean I live the life of luxery! 

And if you do, it's no one's business!
Maryland

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16747 on: July 09, 2014, 12:11:37 PM »
Sitting on hold for over 45 min at a time
Maryland

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16748 on: July 09, 2014, 12:11:44 PM »
Thank you! I was beginning to think we were wrong for having busy, active lives. And yes, even when your single!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16749 on: July 09, 2014, 12:18:15 PM »
Unaccompanied children (under 12) in grocery stores.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16750 on: July 09, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »

Amended to any uncontrolled person in the grocery stores. Teenagers get pretty weird, too. Sometimes the girls giggle loudly and don't pay any attention to what they are doing, and boys do that punch each other and dance around macho thing.

I've seen lots of nice quiet, well-behaved young children. I used to go to the large grocery store to buy snacks when I was 8 years old and didn't cause any trouble.

lilfox

« Reply #16751 on: July 09, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »
I found it quaint when my mom asked me for the Yellow Pages to find a number for a local business.  Our internet was not out at the time and she has an iPhone anyway.

A thing that drives me crazy are when people my age say that we're middle aged because "we're halfway through the expected life span!"  No thanks.  If that's the rule, then I expect to live to at least 150 years old because I refuse to be middle aged for at least a few more decades.

The other thing lately is this headache that will not go away.  Four days is long enough!  Not a migraine, not a caffeine withdrawal headache, but it does not respond to painkillers which usually work.  I think it's due to poor sleep but I can't seem to stay asleep either.  Bleah.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16752 on: July 09, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »

The other thing lately is this headache that will not go away.  Four days is long enough!  Not a migraine, not a caffeine withdrawal headache, but it does not respond to painkillers which usually work.  I think it's due to poor sleep but I can't seem to stay asleep either.  Bleah.

I had one off and on for a week and a half. Sinus, and it woudl come and go. I finally went aha, and realized that if my head and ears were so congested, then a DEcongestant would work. So I switched my allergy med to one with a D in it, and so far, so good, even though I still can't hear diddly squat.

mmswm

« Reply #16753 on: July 09, 2014, 05:47:49 PM »

Amended to any uncontrolled person in the grocery stores. Teenagers get pretty weird, too. Sometimes the girls giggle loudly and don't pay any attention to what they are doing, and boys do that punch each other and dance around macho thing.

I've seen lots of nice quiet, well-behaved young children. I used to go to the large grocery store to buy snacks when I was 8 years old and didn't cause any trouble.

Thank you.  I tend to "free range" parenting, and have frequently sent my kids to the grocery store unaccompanied to retrieve small items.  The grocery store manager approached me one day when I had one of my kids with me and said "Oh, you're their mother!  You have amazing kids.  They're so well-behaved and polite".  Of course, they're older than 12 now, but I started letting them go around 10 or so.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #16754 on: July 09, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »
My daughter's 6 and I make her buy her extra stuff (treats, etc.) by herself all the time (I'm right there of course, but good habits now, you know) and she'll take herself to the restroom if it's one where we can see the door from where we're sitting.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!