Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1650647 times)

cabbageweevil

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16740 on: July 09, 2014, 04:58:56 AM »

I'm pretty exacting when it comes to amounts, bills, and totals. A lot of my friends aren't. When we go to a restaurant, I always order water and there are various other reasons my bill's significantly lower than theirs. So when the time comes and I have the waitress print out separate checks. Most people are like "Oh, we could have just split it down the middle!" No, I'm not paying three or four extra dollars every time I go out with you.  Or when I owe someone something like $1.75 because they bought me coffee and they're like "I hate change. Can you just give me $2?" Usually something like "If you hate change so much I can just give you $1" shuts them up. Is it nickel-and-dimeing people to death? Maybe. But now I have a jar with about $75 worth of nickels and dimes at home.

I will calculate things pretty precisely--so a credit card tip might be for $5.45 rather than a round number of dollars--but there are also people with whom I then average the bill, on the theory that it will even out over time. (This includes someone with whom I have been doing this since the 1980s.) But I agree that if someone says they "hate change," it's for them to round in my favor, not the other way around. I was, however, amused recently to see a post from someone who was told his bill was 2.55, and said 2.56 would have been cooler. The shopkeeper let him pay the extra penny, and everyone was happy. Silly, but silliness in the direction of "let me give you a tiny bit extra, because I like certain numbers," not an attempt to get a discount.

There's a rather-akin thing, which occasionally causes a bit of disharmony between my brother and me (most of the time, we get on very well together). He's borderline-innumerate, as he would be the first person to admit; one function of this, is that he utterly loathes any precise fussing-over, and analysis of, amounts of cash owed to him (or by him) for shared purchases / meals / whatever: he can actually get very angry when a companion "subjects him to" such stuff.  At the same time, he definitely wants the other person to contribute their fair share.  I accept that it's a genuine quirk of his, not a ploy to try to get the other bod to shell out more than their proper share; and when he calms down after such an anger episode, he's apologetic.  I do find it annoying, though, to have to rather walk on eggshells around him over this particular thing; and to have to plot and plan ways of rightly reimbursing him, which won't throw him into a rage.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #16741 on: July 09, 2014, 09:01:09 AM »
What's driving me up the wall today is the black ad on e-hell which is on every page I look at. It blinks in the most jarring fashion, and it's everywhere.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

TeamBhakta

« Reply #16742 on: July 09, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »
A local restaurant always served perfect, crunchy waffles. But now they've started making waffles with pancake mix instead of waffle mix. Boy can you taste the difference in texture  :P

magicdomino

« Reply #16743 on: July 09, 2014, 11:04:13 AM »

When we got our first computer in the 90s, I got in the habit of looking up addresses and phone numbers and reverse phone numbers on the internet for free - it was really handy when questioning phone charges on our bill, back when we didn't have free long distance. Now, all the sites I look at charge; I'm actually thinking of getting a subscription. At the time, we were told the local phone directory and long distance information would be obsolete. Well, I'm back to that, although I still use the Yellow Pages sometimes. (If you know a free white pages, please let me know!)

My brother called me long distance and asked me to look up a local number in the white pages because he couldn't find a free listing online.  He didn't need to know the intricate details of the person's life; he just needed the guy's home phone number.

Shalamar

« Reply #16744 on: July 09, 2014, 11:15:23 AM »
Boy can you taste the difference in texture.

My mother-in-law has always made the best butter tarts, and my husband loves them.  He looks forward to them whenever we visit.  The last time we visited, she presented butter tarts made with store-bought pastry, not home-made.    My husband's sister said in disappointment "Oh, you didn't make the pastry?"  "No, because this is just as good."  Except that it wasn't.  Now, store-bought pastry can be really good (although I'll always prefer home-made), but she hadn't baked it long enough, or something - it was soggy and awful.  Like eating wet newspaper.   :P

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16745 on: July 09, 2014, 11:28:32 AM »
When someone assumes that a person's time is not valuable because they are (any of these: older, younger, retired, etc).

Is there some rule about keeping your schedule open indefinitely for chance events?  :-\
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:55:17 AM by ladyknight1 »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #16746 on: July 09, 2014, 12:32:46 PM »
When someone assumes that a person's time is not valuable because they are (any of these: older, younger, retired, etc).

Is there some rule about keeping your schedule open indefinitely for chance events?  :-\

That rule exists entirely in entitled people heads not in the real world

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16747 on: July 09, 2014, 01:03:20 PM »

Can we add single to that?; and I will agree with you. Just because I don't have an SO or kids, doens't mean I live the life of luxery! 

PastryGoddess

« Reply #16748 on: July 09, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »

Can we add single to that?; and I will agree with you. Just because I don't have an SO or kids, doens't mean I live the life of luxery! 

And if you do, it's no one's business!

PastryGoddess

« Reply #16749 on: July 09, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »
Sitting on hold for over 45 min at a time

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16750 on: July 09, 2014, 01:11:44 PM »
Thank you! I was beginning to think we were wrong for having busy, active lives. And yes, even when your single!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16751 on: July 09, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »
Unaccompanied children (under 12) in grocery stores.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16752 on: July 09, 2014, 01:33:53 PM »
Unaccompanied children (under 12) in grocery stores.

Amended to any uncontrolled person in the grocery stores. Teenagers get pretty weird, too. Sometimes the girls giggle loudly and don't pay any attention to what they are doing, and boys do that punch each other and dance around macho thing.

I've seen lots of nice quiet, well-behaved young children. I used to go to the large grocery store to buy snacks when I was 8 years old and didn't cause any trouble.

lilfox

« Reply #16753 on: July 09, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »
I found it quaint when my mom asked me for the Yellow Pages to find a number for a local business.  Our internet was not out at the time and she has an iPhone anyway.

A thing that drives me crazy are when people my age say that we're middle aged because "we're halfway through the expected life span!"  No thanks.  If that's the rule, then I expect to live to at least 150 years old because I refuse to be middle aged for at least a few more decades.

The other thing lately is this headache that will not go away.  Four days is long enough!  Not a migraine, not a caffeine withdrawal headache, but it does not respond to painkillers which usually work.  I think it's due to poor sleep but I can't seem to stay asleep either.  Bleah.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16754 on: July 09, 2014, 03:38:31 PM »

The other thing lately is this headache that will not go away.  Four days is long enough!  Not a migraine, not a caffeine withdrawal headache, but it does not respond to painkillers which usually work.  I think it's due to poor sleep but I can't seem to stay asleep either.  Bleah.

I had one off and on for a week and a half. Sinus, and it woudl come and go. I finally went aha, and realized that if my head and ears were so congested, then a DEcongestant would work. So I switched my allergy med to one with a D in it, and so far, so good, even though I still can't hear diddly squat.