Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1675980 times)

mmswm

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16755 on: July 09, 2014, 06:47:49 PM »
Unaccompanied children (under 12) in grocery stores.

Amended to any uncontrolled person in the grocery stores. Teenagers get pretty weird, too. Sometimes the girls giggle loudly and don't pay any attention to what they are doing, and boys do that punch each other and dance around macho thing.

I've seen lots of nice quiet, well-behaved young children. I used to go to the large grocery store to buy snacks when I was 8 years old and didn't cause any trouble.

Thank you.  I tend to "free range" parenting, and have frequently sent my kids to the grocery store unaccompanied to retrieve small items.  The grocery store manager approached me one day when I had one of my kids with me and said "Oh, you're their mother!  You have amazing kids.  They're so well-behaved and polite".  Of course, they're older than 12 now, but I started letting them go around 10 or so.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #16756 on: July 09, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »
My daughter's 6 and I make her buy her extra stuff (treats, etc.) by herself all the time (I'm right there of course, but good habits now, you know) and she'll take herself to the restroom if it's one where we can see the door from where we're sitting.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #16757 on: July 09, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »
I am very open about being a recovering alcoholic with 20 years of sobriety. I don't drink alcohol. At all.
I hate going to parties, BBQs, out to dinner with people who insist "It's just wine" or "It's only beer." 
They have no idea the Hell I lived before I climbed out of the bottle.  And it is not up to me to give them a life story.
I also do not need their approval to stick with non-alcoholic beverages.  But they always seem to take it as personal disapproval if I am not imbibing with them.

The writer Marian Keyes is a recovering alchoholic. Having carefully explained to a friend just why she does not drink, cannot drink, the friend said "But you can have wine with us at dinner"
I don't drink alchohol, and have suffered in my time from people trying to persuade me to do so. The last time this happened was a cousin who tired to encourage me to drink a glass o wine. His wife told him in no uncertain terms how stupid he was.

I have never been a drinker - I can't stand the taste of most alcoholic beverages - but I've also run into the people who don't seem to understand that "I don't drink alcohol" isn't a  moral judgement, it's just my personal preference.   Mr. Sirius likes the fact that I don't like alcohol; even though he limits himself to no more than 1 or possibly 2 beers a week, if we're out somewhere he knows I'm always available to drive, and he has me do so if he feels the least impaired.  And if I thought he was impaired, I'd flatly refuse to allow him to drive even if I had to mug him for his car keys.  (This has never been an issue, as Mr. Sirius has a lot of good sense.) 

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #16758 on: July 09, 2014, 09:11:47 PM »
Two things are driving me up the wall here.

First thing: I have been working on building/trying to get a new computer so I can get back to an online game I haven't been able to play for over six months. Last month, this game suffered a Distributed Denial of Service attack which had their servers knocked out for a while, but they got everything back up and running. (This game is based in Japan, and is Japanese, but a lot of American and other foreign players also play it.) As a result of this attack, many ISPs have been unable to connect to either the game servers or the website - no one seems entirely sure whether the ISPs are blocking it, or the servers just aren't broadcasting their location so only an ISP that knows exactly how to get there can connect (it's probably a mixture of both.) I do have confirmation that my ISP has blocked access to the game and the game's website, and they're not going to remove the block unless the company who made the game actually goes straight to them and asks them to remove it - which isn't going to happen. Some other users of this ISP have made a case for removal of the block without the company having to get involved, but no one knows when/if that's going to do anything, so now that I have a computer capable of playing, I can't play!

Second thing: I'm discussing this with a friend who I love dearly, but who has a tendency not to listen. Whatsoever. She's the one who provided me with the info about the ISP confirming the game's been blocked and only the company is allowed to request removal of the block, and we spent a good few minutes going back and forth about that. And then she came back with "Well, have your dad call them and ask them to take the block off!"

...My dad is not the game company. My dad cannot request the block to be taken off. (He won't do it anyway - my game is "not important".) She's the one who gave me that info in the first place. How did "only the company can request it" turn into "let's have your dad call them" in her head? ???

I swear, any farther up the wall and I'd be on the ceiling...
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #16759 on: July 09, 2014, 09:19:26 PM »
I just found out that my DH's grandmother's estate was never settled, and she has been gone for 25 years. The utilities and house are still in her name legally and that is starting to cause problems.   ???

daen

« Reply #16760 on: July 09, 2014, 09:42:32 PM »
I just found out that my DH's grandmother's estate was never settled, and she has been gone for 25 years. The utilities and house are still in her name legally and that is starting to cause problems.   ???

Twenty-five years? And it's just causing problems now?
Yikes. You have my sympathies.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #16761 on: July 09, 2014, 10:33:29 PM »

Amended to any uncontrolled person in the grocery stores. Teenagers get pretty weird, too. Sometimes the girls giggle loudly and don't pay any attention to what they are doing, and boys do that punch each other and dance around macho thing.

I've seen lots of nice quiet, well-behaved young children. I used to go to the large grocery store to buy snacks when I was 8 years old and didn't cause any trouble.
POD kids who know how to behave and conduct their transaction have as much right as any other person to be in public. Parents are raising future adults, and people don't magically become adults at 18. They have to be given responsibility and privileges as they show they can handle them. Also crime is at an all time low over the last decade. There is not a boogy man around every corner. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Dr. F.

« Reply #16762 on: July 09, 2014, 10:51:51 PM »
My ears.

More specifically, my earlobes.

Even more specifically, the holes in those lobes.

My stupid earring holes have never been normal, since they were first made by my Mom's BFF (an MD) when I was 13. They drive me crazy, and then I leave earrings out of them, so then they almost close up, and then I try to reopen them and then they drive me even crazier. Yeah.

I'm about a week in to trying to reopen the stupid things again. I've had circular earrings in them for the past week. Circular so that I can sleep in the stupid things - I can't sleep with post earrings in, as they poke into my skull.

My lobes are still swollen and red and hot and painful. I take the earrings out twice a day to soak in alcohol. I *do* wonder how much tissue damage I'm doing by taking the silly things in and out a few times per day, as there is a pokey bit that holds the earring together.

This is the point where I typically take them out and give up,so I'm trying to force myself to get through this bit and make the stupid holes heal over completely for once and for all.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #16763 on: July 09, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »
My ears.

More specifically, my earlobes.

Even more specifically, the holes in those lobes.

My stupid earring holes have never been normal, since they were first made by my Mom's BFF (an MD) when I was 13. They drive me crazy, and then I leave earrings out of them, so then they almost close up, and then I try to reopen them and then they drive me even crazier. Yeah.

I'm about a week in to trying to reopen the stupid things again. I've had circular earrings in them for the past week. Circular so that I can sleep in the stupid things - I can't sleep with post earrings in, as they poke into my skull.

My lobes are still swollen and red and hot and painful. I take the earrings out twice a day to soak in alcohol. I *do* wonder how much tissue damage I'm doing by taking the silly things in and out a few times per day, as there is a pokey bit that holds the earring together.

This is the point where I typically take them out and give up,so I'm trying to force myself to get through this bit and make the stupid holes heal over completely for once and for all.

Sounds like a possible infection.  Maybe you should have a medical professional check them out.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16764 on: July 09, 2014, 10:59:15 PM »

POD kids who know how to behave and conduct their transaction have as much right as any other person to be in public. Parents are raising future adults, and people don't magically become adults at 18. They have to be given responsibility and privileges as they show they can handle them. Also crime is at an all time low over the last decade. There is not a boogy man around every corner.

We are having major issues in my area with unaccompanied children in stores, who are not being polite and careful. Even some who are polite, but go running through the grocery store (around corners, etc) without any care for others.

Adelaide

« Reply #16765 on: July 09, 2014, 11:20:07 PM »
I hate when people assume I know something but then when they find out I don't know it they don't tell me about it. A friend just broke up with his fiancee because she cheated on him, and everyone assumed I knew. "Isn't it awful about Tom, how can I even look June in the face", etc. and then they're like "Oh...you DON'T know? Oh have some beandip, I can't tell you why Tom broke up with June." Well which is it? You think I'm a member of the inner circle and then suddenly don't? Even Tom assumed I knew in this instance.  ::) Of course he straight-up told me what happened himself because I AM in the inner circle, thanks.

Allyson

« Reply #16766 on: July 09, 2014, 11:41:25 PM »
Adelaide, yeah, that drives me crazy too! I can sort of understand it sometimes-you think someone knows, and if they don't you don't want to be 'widening the circle of information' or you suddenly realize you shouldn't be talking about it...still annoying.

My irritation is with overly defensive people. Yes, I understand some people are insecure--seriously, aren't we *all* insecure sometimes? But conversing with these people is a minefield. Right now I'm dealing with somebody who's response to *any* statement like "it frustrates me when people ride llamas through the workplace" is "*I don't do that!" Regardless of how many people are around. If somebody makes a rule, and it is announced, like "don't go into the basement back room of the building, it's not part of our organization", same thing. "*I don't do that!*" Or he'll ask, "Are you talking about me?" He's not even on my Facebook but is on some of my friends, and I have seen him ask several people "is this status about me?" even when it's pretty clearly not even vaguebooking.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #16767 on: July 10, 2014, 06:53:49 AM »
I have never been a drinker - I can't stand the taste of most alcoholic beverages - but I've also run into the people who don't seem to understand that "I don't drink alcohol" isn't a  moral judgement, it's just my personal preference.   Mr. Sirius likes the fact that I don't like alcohol; even though he limits himself to no more than 1 or possibly 2 beers a week, if we're out somewhere he knows I'm always available to drive, and he has me do so if he feels the least impaired.  And if I thought he was impaired, I'd flatly refuse to allow him to drive even if I had to mug him for his car keys.  (This has never been an issue, as Mr. Sirius has a lot of good sense.)

I have a good friend who feels the same way.  He also doesn't drink coffee or tea because he doesn't like them.  It's not a religious thing, but from other people's reactions you'd think he was a weirdo or something.

He loves classical music, good movies, and doesn't care about sports.  You'd think he'd have no trouble getting dates.  But some dating guru in this city has the idea that if your online profile says you don't drink it should be interpreted that you are a recovering alcoholic.

Some people really need to be hit by a clue by four.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16768 on: July 10, 2014, 08:25:40 AM »
My DH and DS like to keep all the window mini-blinds down and closed. I keep them 8" up, so the cats can look out.

At 11 PM last night, when I went to bed, the blinds were up 8" from the bottom of the window.

I come down at 7:15 AM this morning and DH had completely closed them, but a cat had gone through them and they are now broken.

The only good news is that I was tired of the cheap blinds anyway. I'll be measuring for blinds tonight.  :-X

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16769 on: July 10, 2014, 09:26:41 AM »
My clothes. Mind you, I'm not complaining, but I've lost 15 lbs, and some of my favorites, which used to fit me very well, and were quite flattering, are now hanging off me. And as I've had them for a while, I can't replace them. And can't find anything similar. Grrrr. Its mainly pants. Which are hard enough to find anyway! I've already donated two really nice pairs that fit me well at one time, but again, got baggy.

I guess there are worse things in life, but this is irking me right now.