News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 09:57:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5497057 times)

PeterM

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #16815 on: August 03, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »
Small wall, but can't Hollywood/TV create anything original, and leave original work alone?
I can almost understand adapting a foreign, non-english speaking film/TV show, but adapting a recent, british show?
I just found out they are re-doing Broadchurch, a crime/drama/mystery show from 2013, calling it Gracepoint, putting it in California, but keeping David Tennant, one of the main actor.

The ad I saw looked like a shot-for-shot exact recreation of the British version, too. An article my wife read said it'll be very similar for the first few episodes but then change things up, so that could be interesting.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #16816 on: August 03, 2014, 06:35:05 PM »
Small wall, but can't Hollywood/TV create anything original, and leave original work alone?
I can almost understand adapting a foreign, non-english speaking film/TV show, but adapting a recent, british show?
I just found out they are re-doing Broadchurch, a crime/drama/mystery show from 2013, calling it Gracepoint, putting it in California, but keeping David Tennant, one of the main actor.

I love Coupling and found out that was adapted to an American show and oh my, it was unbelievably stupid.  In fact I believe they felt they had to dumb it down for American audiences because we couldn't possibly get British humor! *sarcasm*  I am an American thank you very much, and was raised on Monty Python and love the original coupling.

I mean The Office turned into a pretty likable American adaptation, they couldn't do that with Coupling?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #16817 on: August 03, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
And my own annoyance.  People who pretty much tell you that you won't enjoy an experience before you have it simply because they didn't like it.  Especially when they don't know you enough to know what you'd like or dislike.

I'm traveling to a friend's state via Amtrak at the end of the month, and someone who works the daycare at our church apparently took a trip to FL via Amtrak and hated it.  Bathrooms disgusting, no wi-fi, and then a team of kids came on and she just knew she wouldn't be enjoying it. (She didn't even say if they were poorly behaved)

Now, my friend rode the train when she came out to see me and loved it.  She said yes the bathrooms aren't ritzy but it's a train for Pete's sake! It's not going to be much nicer than a plane toilet but she had tons of legroom and enjoyed the view so she didn't need Wi-Fi.   This person kept trying to insist "oh it's unpleasant!"   ::) 

Is it bad I'm looking forward to coming back and raving about how much I enjoy train travel? Especially when she practically gloated today that she can't wait to talk to me when I return, likely thinking she'll get to say "I told you so!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

perpetua

« Reply #16818 on: August 03, 2014, 07:21:54 PM »

I love Coupling and found out that was adapted to an American show and oh my, it was unbelievably stupid.  In fact I believe they felt they had to dumb it down for American audiences because we couldn't possibly get British humor! *sarcasm*  I am an American thank you very much, and was raised on Monty Python and love the original coupling.

I mean The Office turned into a pretty likable American adaptation, they couldn't do that with Coupling?

The biggest atrocity of this type was the version of Red Dwarf they remade for a US audience. Apparently the pilot was never released - and having seen it I can understand why - but it's floating around YouTube and it's just horrible. Why on earth the writers/makers thought that our US friends were incapable of understanding the (brilliant) original, I have no idea, but I felt insulted on your behalf!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:25:30 PM by perpetua »

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #16819 on: August 03, 2014, 07:48:16 PM »
And my own annoyance.  People who pretty much tell you that you won't enjoy an experience before you have it simply because they didn't like it.  Especially when they don't know you enough to know what you'd like or dislike.

I'm traveling to a friend's state via Amtrak at the end of the month, and someone who works the daycare at our church apparently took a trip to FL via Amtrak and hated it.  Bathrooms disgusting, no wi-fi, and then a team of kids came on and she just knew she wouldn't be enjoying it. (She didn't even say if they were poorly behaved)

Now, my friend rode the train when she came out to see me and loved it.  She said yes the bathrooms aren't ritzy but it's a train for Pete's sake! It's not going to be much nicer than a plane toilet but she had tons of legroom and enjoyed the view so she didn't need Wi-Fi.   This person kept trying to insist "oh it's unpleasant!"   ::) 

Is it bad I'm looking forward to coming back and raving about how much I enjoy train travel? Especially when she practically gloated today that she can't wait to talk to me when I return, likely thinking she'll get to say "I told you so!"

I'm sure you'll enjoy train travel. The seats are bigger than plane seats, *and* you can get up and walk around whenever you need to.  The toilets aren't very big, but who cares?

Thipu1

« Reply #16820 on: August 04, 2014, 06:21:24 AM »
We love traveling by train.  It's relaxing and you don't have the stress that traveling by air produces. 

We can truly say that, when we reach our destination, we feel refreshed. 

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #16821 on: August 04, 2014, 08:56:45 AM »
Taking a huge gulp of coffee, only to find it is cold.  >:(
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #16822 on: August 05, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »
Seeing a 60 year old woman with a large, new looking tattoo that said White Girl. Kills my faith in humanity.  :-X Although I did get a good mental snicker at her really bad hair style. Fried, dried and frizzed out dyed red hair, paired with 6 inches of pee yellow hair across the top of her hairline

WishUponAStar

« Reply #16823 on: August 05, 2014, 02:30:01 PM »
Maybe I'm being oversensitive here, but this one bothered me for a while. I taught overseas in a program and went to dinner with three other friends, one of whom made the decision to leave at the same time as me. When Friend and I shared our news, the two other friends (we'll call them "Couple") start fawning over friend. "We'll miss you so much!" "Oh, [Friend's name], it'll be sad to see you go!" "What'll we do without you?" I was sitting right there. Though we both announced we were leaving, they directed all the attention to my friend. I felt as small as a pebble, really.

One of the members of the couple also gave us both a ride to an event once. He asked me for gas money, but not Friend. I'm fine with paying considering he was generous enough to give a ride, but asking only me? It felt really rude.

Snooks

« Reply #16824 on: August 05, 2014, 02:38:25 PM »

But Coupling was the BBC's attempt to do Friends for a UK audience.  ???

TeamBhakta

« Reply #16825 on: August 05, 2014, 02:42:33 PM »
Maybe I'm being oversensitive here, but this one bothered me for a while. I taught overseas in a program and went to dinner with three other friends, one of whom made the decision to leave at the same time as me. When Friend and I shared our news, the two other friends (we'll call them "Couple") start fawning over friend. "We'll miss you so much!" "Oh, [Friend's name], it'll be sad to see you go!" "What'll we do without you?" I was sitting right there. Though we both announced we were leaving, they directed all the attention to my friend. I felt as small as a pebble, really.

One of the members of the couple also gave us both a ride to an event once. He asked me for gas money, but not Friend. I'm fine with paying considering he was generous enough to give a ride, but asking only me? It felt really rude.

Not to be awful, but maybe they didn't share your feeling of "we are all friends" ? Maybe they considered you to be a "work friend" or "that nice lady we always invite along because she's Mary friend" ?

gmatoy

« Reply #16826 on: August 05, 2014, 03:00:54 PM »
Right now it is my DH's attitude. If it isn't what he is upset about right now,(that is your health, instead of his or your problem instead of his) he is rude to the point that I want to walk away...far, far, far away.

Snooks

« Reply #16827 on: August 05, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »
I started watching Last Man Standing on Netflix, was thoroughly enjoying the fact that it required no brain power, just a silly family sitcom, then I got to the second series, they changed all the characters and now I hate it :(

PastryGoddess

« Reply #16828 on: August 05, 2014, 03:33:53 PM »

But Coupling was the BBC's attempt to do Friends for a UK audience.  ???

Yes, maybe it's another show you are thinking of

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #16829 on: August 05, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »
There is a US version of Coupling by the same name.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupling_(U.S._TV_series)

Which granted is similar to Friends in that it had 3 guys and 3 women who were friends and would hook up with each other, but IMO, Coupling was much funnier.