Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1682831 times)

2littlemonkeys

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #17070 on: August 06, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »
WHY WHY WHY does my boss tell people they can go buy an expensive item and 'just expense it!' when it's not something we can expense without special dispensation from the Pope?  (practically)

WHY??????

Now I've got someone who is all kinds of pissed off because he can't expense something and all Boss can say is "I dunno, figure it out."

AAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

>:(

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17071 on: August 07, 2014, 06:48:41 AM »
Something stinks in the kitchen, and I can't find it.  I first noticed it a week or so ago, and it's gotten worse.  I suspected a bad potato or onion, but I went through them and they were fine.  More infuriating is that the last four times we've had one, I made the mistake of mentioning it and was told, "Well, find it and throw it out!"

Well...I did look for it this time, but I couldn't find it.  I'm sorry, but I'm not moving the cheap-o plastic rolling carts from under the counter to look underneath and behind them.  The last two times I did that, one of them sort of fell apart on me and the other one's wheel locked up and caused it to tip forward and spill its contents.  No.  Someone else can deal with it this time.

Still, it's getting to the point where the smell is making me gag.  But I don't know what or where it is!

Smulkin

« Reply #17072 on: August 07, 2014, 06:57:52 AM »

But Coupling was the BBC's attempt to do Friends for a UK audience.  ???

Yes, maybe it's another show you are thinking of

Coupling wasn't a 'remake' in the same way as the US Office, or Red Dwarf, or the eventual US Coupling itself. It was based on the writer's and producer's relatio*n*ship, and is as much based on Friends as it is Seinfeld, which it was also frequently compared to. Friends was already entrenched and mad-popular here so a straight remake would have been confusingly unnecessary.
 British equivalent of, maybe; sneaky rehash even... or attempt to write something that would be as popular/influential/meme-y as Friends, but not a remake in the 'same characters, same names, same stories, same scripts' sense.

Shalamar

« Reply #17073 on: August 07, 2014, 10:47:13 AM »
CrochetFanatic, my husband has no sense of smell, so any time something goes bad in our kitchen, it's up to me to find it.  One time I walked downstairs from our room, sniffed the air, and went "Eww - what stinks?"  He'd had the fridge open about five minutes prior, and the smell of whatever it was still filled their air.  He had no idea. 

Snooks

« Reply #17074 on: August 07, 2014, 01:17:43 PM »
Just sometimes I'd like my brain to leave me in peace without reminding me of all the ways I've failed in life  :(

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17075 on: August 07, 2014, 01:23:42 PM »

But Coupling was the BBC's attempt to do Friends for a UK audience.  ???

Yes, maybe it's another show you are thinking of

Coupling wasn't a 'remake' in the same way as the US Office, or Red Dwarf, or the eventual US Coupling itself. It was based on the writer's and producer's relatio*n*ship, and is as much based on Friends as it is Seinfeld, which it was also frequently compared to. Friends was already entrenched and mad-popular here so a straight remake would have been confusingly unnecessary.
 British equivalent of, maybe; sneaky rehash even... or attempt to write something that would be as popular/influential/meme-y as Friends, but not a remake in the 'same characters, same names, same stories, same scripts' sense.

While I liked Friends in the 90's, I think Coupling was far funnier, didn't carry on even when it was no longer funny (while I missed Jeff in season 4, the show still had humorous moments) and managed to avoid the annoying "We were on a break!" joke that wasn't even funny when it started.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #17076 on: August 07, 2014, 02:30:17 PM »
Just sometimes I'd like my brain to leave me in peace without reminding me of all the ways I've failed in life  :(

Likewise! It's why my current job is so bad for me..LOTS of opportunity for brooding, and precious little I can do for distraction from it.

KimberlyM

« Reply #17077 on: August 07, 2014, 02:48:44 PM »
2 facebook irritations today...

Those "Chain letter" style posts that always start with No one ever reads my wall, so this will be a short experiment" They make me desperately want to post something about fishing for attention...

also, for the 4th time in a month or so my wall is plastered in sales ads, events, testimonials etc because it seems everyone I know is selling the newest bestest awesomenesst thing ever!  From cleaning supplies to nail polish, wrinkle cream to jewelery.  I'm about to start blocking people, and I never do that!  I've blocked one person ever and that was just because we have drastically different political opinions and he uses fb to soapbox exclusively.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #17078 on: August 07, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »

Likewise! It's why my current job is so bad for me..LOTS of opportunity for brooding, and precious little I can do for distraction from it.

That's me, too.  While I'm transcribing reports, they're going in my ear, bumping around in my brain, and out my fingertips.  Meanwhile, the part of my brain that isn't involved in trying to figure out if Dr. Hiccup really meant the ear bone (malleus) or the ankle bone (malleolus) is brooding over my life.  I find myself thinking that if I was the perfect wife my house would be spotless, I'd be serving nutritionally balanced, home-made meals every night, and I'd have a vegetable garden plus the most beautiful yard on the block, and I'm busily kicking myself for not being like that. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17079 on: August 07, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »
When I forget and read the comments on some fbook posts.  There was one today about a young lady who survived a shooting that killed the rest of her family.  She is a huge Potter fan and quoted Dumbledore's line, "Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one remembers to turn on the light."

There was an update saying that J.K. Rowling wrote her a letter and signed it Dumbledore along with a wand, a signed copy of Prisoner of Azkaban, and a Hogwarts invitation and list of supplies.  :) 

In the picture the girl was smiling and holding up the ASL sign for "I love you" and I saw comments from people accusing her of flashing "devil horns" and smiling after her family was gunned down.  ::)  For Pete's sake, I barely know any ASL but I know that's the sign for "I Love You".  And I'd be smiling too if I got such a nice package from Dumbledore. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hillia

« Reply #17080 on: August 07, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »
When I forget and read the comments on some fbook posts.  There was one today about a young lady who survived a shooting that killed the rest of her family.  She is a huge Potter fan and quoted Dumbledore's line, "Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one remembers to turn on the light."

There was an update saying that J.K. Rowling wrote her a letter and signed it Dumbledore along with a wand, a signed copy of Prisoner of Azkaban, and a Hogwarts invitation and list of supplies.  :) 

In the picture the girl was smiling and holding up the ASL sign for "I love you" and I saw comments from people accusing her of flashing "devil horns" and smiling after her family was gunned down.  ::)  For Pete's sake, I barely know any ASL but I know that's the sign for "I Love You".  And I'd be smiling too if I got such a nice package from Dumbledore. :)

My son had a friend who was a member of a very, very fundamentalist, extremist church.  He and I used the ASL 'I love you' when I dropped him off at school every day starting in 2nd grade (because what HS boy wants his friends to see him saying 'I love you' to his mom?)  She swore that:
Helen Keller was a member of the Illuminati who
...invented ASL as a secret language so that
...the Illuminati could use the 'I love you' sign as a form of identification as well as glorifying Satan (because they were all Satanists, too)

Yup.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17081 on: August 07, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »

My son had a friend who was a member of a very, very fundamentalist, extremist church.  He and I used the ASL 'I love you' when I dropped him off at school every day starting in 2nd grade (because what HS boy wants his friends to see him saying 'I love you' to his mom?)  She swore that:
...the Illuminati could use the 'I love you' sign as a form of identification as well as glorifying Satan (because they were all Satanists, too)

Yup.

Wow. 

nuit93

« Reply #17082 on: August 07, 2014, 04:10:27 PM »

Yup.

I'd be surprised by that, but after hearing tales from a friend of mine who worked for a public access station--nothing whatsoever is shocking anymore.

kckgirl

« Reply #17083 on: August 07, 2014, 05:17:31 PM »
Those "Chain letter" style posts that always start with No one ever reads my wall, so this will be a short experiment" They make me desperately want to post something about fishing for attention...

I always want to comment with something completely irrelevant, like "purple shoes" or something like that.
Maryland

WishUponAStar

« Reply #17084 on: August 07, 2014, 06:14:50 PM »
Maybe I'm being oversensitive here, but this one bothered me for a while. I taught overseas in a program and went to dinner with three other friends, one of whom made the decision to leave at the same time as me. When Friend and I shared our news, the two other friends (we'll call them "Couple") start fawning over friend. "We'll miss you so much!" "Oh, [Friend's name], it'll be sad to see you go!" "What'll we do without you?" I was sitting right there. Though we both announced we were leaving, they directed all the attention to my friend. I felt as small as a pebble, really.

One of the members of the couple also gave us both a ride to an event once. He asked me for gas money, but not Friend. I'm fine with paying considering he was generous enough to give a ride, but asking only me? It felt really rude.

Not to be awful, but maybe they didn't share your feeling of "we are all friends" ? Maybe they considered you to be a "work friend" or "that nice lady we always invite along because she's Mary friend" ?

I don't think you're being awful. :) That was a really valid question. We all knew each other pretty well and socialized quite a bit, but they did hang out with her more often than with me. I think I was being oversensitive, but it did kind of sadden me that I was sitting right there and they made such a big deal about her with not one peep about my leaving. Oh, well.