Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1857521 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #17085 on: August 07, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
Friends or no, I still think it was rude of them to fawn over the other person in front of WUAS, then asking her for gas money and not the other person.  It's fine to be close to one person but to the point of ignoring others is quite rude.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17086 on: August 07, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »
I went back to work today for the first time since my seizure and hospitalization, and I can't count on one hand how many people recommended I take it easy, at least everything that isn't work related.

I'm finishing my degree. I had already decided to take 11 hours of coursework this fall, instead of 12, and I'm not going to take less now. If you really want to give me less stress, just ask me to do things actually in my job description or relevant to what I do! Sigh.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #17087 on: August 07, 2014, 09:52:41 PM »
And my own annoyance.  People who pretty much tell you that you won't enjoy an experience before you have it simply because they didn't like it.  Especially when they don't know you enough to know what you'd like or dislike.

I'm traveling to a friend's state via Amtrak at the end of the month, and someone who works the daycare at our church apparently took a trip to FL via Amtrak and hated it.  Bathrooms disgusting, no wi-fi, and then a team of kids came on and she just knew she wouldn't be enjoying it. (She didn't even say if they were poorly behaved)

Now, my friend rode the train when she came out to see me and loved it.  She said yes the bathrooms aren't ritzy but it's a train for Pete's sake! It's not going to be much nicer than a plane toilet but she had tons of legroom and enjoyed the view so she didn't need Wi-Fi.   This person kept trying to insist "oh it's unpleasant!"   ::) 

Is it bad I'm looking forward to coming back and raving about how much I enjoy train travel? Especially when she practically gloated today that she can't wait to talk to me when I return, likely thinking she'll get to say "I told you so!"

I'm sure you'll enjoy train travel. The seats are bigger than plane seats, *and* you can get up and walk around whenever you need to.  The toilets aren't very big, but who cares?

I agree. We love traveling by train. Although the wi-fi is only on certain trains, if you go expecting to not have it, it's a pleasant surprise when you do. Bring stuff to read or a small craft and you'll be fine. We've taken the Coast Starlight (4 times), Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited and Capitol Express, plus I take local trains when going down to San Diego for work.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17088 on: August 08, 2014, 04:26:40 AM »
One of the reasons I chose train travel was because it would be less stress than air travel and less travel time to get to the station than BWI (which is around an hour and a half for us vs 20-30 minutes to get to WV.)  Granted it takes longer to get to your destination, but there's no security hassle, you can bring your own food onto the train, don't have to pay an arm and a leg to check baggage on top of spending an arm and a leg for a round-trip ticket, and as a PP said, the seats are bigger.  Not to mention a better view than what you get traveling by train. 

Seems like a win win! :)  I have about a 5 hr layover in Chicago and plan to visit Greektown and get some gyros to bring with me to friend's house for our dinner that night. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #17089 on: August 08, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »
I love travelling by train, but alas, it's much too expensive in Canada.  A flight to Vancouver will cost roughly $500 per person - Via Rail will charge at least double that, and that's without a berth to sleep in.  I'm not a big fan of sleeping sitting up for two days straight.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17090 on: August 08, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »
I didn't get a berth to sleep in, as my friend (who can't sleep while a passenger in a car or plane) said she was able to sleep just fine in a regular seat.  And when she was going home, there weren't many people on the train so she was able to actually lay down.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17091 on: August 08, 2014, 12:22:07 PM »
Having to listen to my CW on teh phone with her almost 21 year old daughter. who lives alone, has a job, and is in school. She constantly tells her do this do that, and then will say "can I please get back to work now?" I'm sorry, but you are the parent, and if you need to get something done, you need to tell her, i am sorry, i'm working, i will call you later. Quit asking permission for something you don't need to!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17092 on: August 08, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »
Bad mannered forum posters (no, not this forum!)

I belong to a couple of gemology and jewelry forums. One of them is specifically for consumers to help one other, learn, share information, etc. In other words, ordinary people who love gemstones. Today, a new member posted a question about a very rare, specific stone. An hour later, the poster posts again, complaining that no one had answered her. Sorry, people work, play and do other things. If someone can answer you, they will when they come online. No one is there at your back and call.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17093 on: August 08, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »
Bad mannered forum posters (no, not this forum!)

I belong to a couple of gemology and jewelry forums. One of them is specifically for consumers to help one other, learn, share information, etc. In other words, ordinary people who love gemstones. Today, a new member posted a question about a very rare, specific stone. An hour later, the poster posts again, complaining that no one had answered her. Sorry, people work, play and do other things. If someone can answer you, they will when they come online. No one is there at your back and call.
Yep.  DH used to be on a genealogy email list, where most of the members were Americans whose ancestors came from a specific European country. Not very busy, maybe 10-15 messages a day.   One newbie hit the roof because there was a side conversation going on about lawn flamingos, of all things.  She was here to talk about [Country] genealogy, and how dare they waste her time and bandwidth talking about something as stupid as pink plastic flamingos.  All in caps.  I think several members of the list pointed out that in a community, it is up to the newbie to fit in, not the community to change to suit the newbie.  And if the community doesn't suit you, you should not let the door hit you where the good Lord split you. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #17094 on: August 09, 2014, 06:32:30 PM »
People complaining that Peter Capaldi is too old and "ugly" to be the Doctor, and oh my gosh the show will be awful.

Then why are you(general you) still watching and talking about it?

Btw that is Peter Capaldi in my signature, and I happen to think he is quite the silver fox myself. Just because he is not to your(general) taste doesn't mean someone else won't find him appealing.

Corollary to the above: Anyone in a fandom who does nothing but complain because a series isn't going the direction they think it should. And I won't even go into shipping wars...  ::)
Who is the Doctor?

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #17095 on: August 09, 2014, 08:38:23 PM »
Corollary to the above: Anyone in a fandom who does nothing but complain because a series isn't going the direction they think it should. And I won't even go into shipping wars...  ::)

Bless you. I dealt with some of that in a couple of my fandoms, and I had to keep myself from spraining eye muscles.

Vita brevis, ars longa

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17096 on: August 09, 2014, 08:57:46 PM »
People complaining that Peter Capaldi is too old and "ugly" to be the Doctor, and oh my gosh the show will be awful.

Then why are you(general you) still watching and talking about it?

Btw that is Peter Capaldi in my signature, and I happen to think he is quite the silver fox myself. Just because he is not to your(general) taste doesn't mean someone else won't find him appealing.

Besides, most of the Doctors were not handsome young men.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17097 on: August 09, 2014, 09:51:06 PM »

Bless you. I dealt with some of that in a couple of my fandoms, and I had to keep myself from spraining eye muscles.

How about ships that just don't make a bit of sense?  Like a character falling for a sociopath who killed a parent and was going to have herself and her fiance killed once he had no more use for them? :P I don't read POTC fanfiction anymore because many of them are so poorly written.

alkira6

« Reply #17098 on: August 09, 2014, 09:57:41 PM »

How about ships that just don't make a bit of sense?  Like a character falling for a sociopath who killed a parent and was going to have herself and her fiance killed once he had no more use for them? :P I don't read POTC fanfiction anymore because many of them are so poorly written.

My husband swears that this is my fanfiction anthem  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCDgJiPBxfI

This is my OTP - I don't care...

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #17099 on: August 10, 2014, 06:58:05 AM »
How about people in Meetup who click the option to not receive e-mails, event updates, or other similar information from the leaders of their groups?  Or even read entire event announcements?  This is an escalating complaint among organizers.

These same people complain when they demand to know how to purchase tickets and the information is right on the event announcement or a general e-mail sent out to the membership.