News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 04:25:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5496084 times)

GreenHall

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #17085 on: September 04, 2014, 12:36:06 PM »
I seem to remember that the registry was for a certain length of time (7 years?)  could you have had it that long?

I turned off my landline (I thought).  Apparently if you are still getting internet, it needs a line, and incoming calls can come in, I just can't make calls (except I think I can call 911).  Of course, the only people who know that number is CenturyLink....I just about jumped out of my skin when it rang the first time.  (They had told me I'd be able to call 911 when I cancelled, so I did keep the phone plugged in, in case I ever needed it.)

Xandraea

« Reply #17086 on: September 04, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »
The unknown out-of-state or toll-free numbers that call me frequently are not there if I answer, and don't leave a message if I don't. It's totally frustrating, but I've taken to fully ignoring the home phone when it rings, and checking for messages later. I'm not going to jump and run to answer every time it rings, especially when the only calls that come in on that line are unknown.

Also, having my land line with the same phone number for 10 years and still getting collections calls for people who I have never heard of. I moved out of state for 2 years, but kept the phone line for the security system, with an answering machine attached. I came home once to find three months worth of messages from the same person, for the same two people. It sounded urgent, even though they were leaving messages at the wrong number for three months, so I called back and told the person "Kate and Patrick cannot be found at this number. You'll need to find their correct number, and please stop calling me."  The person was apologetic and the calls stopped.

Another annoying thing, I get out-of-state calls on my mobile phone as well. I don't answer, they don't leave messages, I have no idea who they are or what they want, but because my mobile is on me 99% of the time, and it is my main way to communicate with people I know, I do look every time it rings. At least on my mobile I can hit the "Block this caller" button.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #17087 on: September 04, 2014, 05:45:59 PM »
I don't know how, but a local middle school got my cell phone # and called me last week letting me know that *Tawna* didn't come to school and why?  I told them that they must have gotten the wrong number because 1) my boys attend a different middle school and 2) I only have sons.  The secretary repeated the number back to me and it was indeed my number. 

My friend suggested maybe she'd read the wrong number off the monitor, and also joked that there wasn't much I could do about it anyroads since I was out of town, but the school wouldn't have known that.

So anyway, I thought maybe someone might have made a note that the child's file had the wrong number but then today I get another message that I let go to voicemail and when I listened to it, it was an automated message from this other middle school to all the parents.

So I called up the school and left a message that they have the wrong number and to please check their records. Hopefully that will take care of it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17088 on: September 04, 2014, 08:54:50 PM »
Some years ago I broke my tailbone. I don't know what is going on today, but dear deity does it hurt. No amount of position changing or pain relievers are helping. It is still throbbing like crazy.

ETA : Mystery solved.  DH was kind enough to check out my backside. I have a couple large bruises, suspiciously in the shape of cat paws. Considering the size, the 18-19 pounder is the likely suspect. The other option is I busted my butt sleepwalking last night, which I did for at least a little while according to DH.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:39:18 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

PeterM

« Reply #17089 on: September 05, 2014, 12:54:45 AM »
In the same vein, what I call robo-calls  Are the recorded sales pitches really so successful that companies think it's a good idea? Do people actually buy from them? I don't get it....

I imagine they have similar success rates as the spam email folks. It doesn't matter if thousands of people are too smart to fall for the con, it only takes one nitwit to make it profitable.

We live in a world where multiple people fall for the Nigerian scam. Still, even after years worth of "Can you believe this moron fell for the Nigerian scam?" stories. I'm fairly certain there exist people who have fallen for it more than once. I really don't get that. "Okay, that first guy was a scammer, lesson learned. But this guy is clearly legit! I'm gonna be rich!"

Cherry91

« Reply #17090 on: September 05, 2014, 04:40:53 AM »
Backseat chefs!

If you ask me to cook, you forfeit the right to demand I cook something in a particular way, and if you keep hovering behind me or snatching pans out of my hands to "Do it right", I'm going to have to bite my tongue to not snap "Why don't you do it then, since I'm doing it wrong?"
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #17091 on: September 05, 2014, 06:22:59 AM »
Backseat chefs!

If you ask me to cook, you forfeit the right to demand I cook something in a particular way, and if you keep hovering behind me or snatching pans out of my hands to "Do it right", I'm going to have to bite my tongue to not snap "Why don't you do it then, since I'm doing it wrong?"
My brother was like this for the longest time - trying to 'help' me while I cooked.
Until one day he was hovering while I cooked some steak and said 'turn them now'.
I spun around so that I was nose-to-nose with him (albeit 10 inches shorter) said 'if I'm doing it wrong, you do it' and left the kitchen.

He was indignant for all of thirty seconds until he heard my bedroom door locking, then realised that he'd have to actually cook instead of just 'helping' because I had actually left.

He only tried to help a few more times after that, because literally every time he interfered I would just down tools, say 'you do it then' and abandon him to the whims of the gas cooktop.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17092 on: September 05, 2014, 09:00:33 AM »
I moved recently and got a local cell phone number. It turns out that the person who had the number before me has a lot of debt she isn't paying. So guess who gets all the calls from collection agencies? I have the routine down pat: "no, I don't know this person. Do not call again or I will consider it harassment and report it to the authorities." Works like a charm. Until this one bank...

First, they use automated calling, so I get a recording saying "if you are Scammy, answer yes. If you don't know Scammy, answer no." Great, I said no and thought that was the end of it. Nope - I was getting 3 or 4 calls a day and no way to talk to a real, live person. I had already been warned never to say "yes", since that would validate the phone number and I could end up having to prove I wasn't Scammy. Fed up, I called their Customer Service number and read them the riot act. "Ok, we will block your number and, in 30 days, you should get no more calls." No - I was not going to get 4 calls a day for another month and I told them to do it sooner or we would see what the authorities had to say about it.

Next day, I get a call from a nice, polite and clueless young man, trying to sort it out. It turns out he had to find Scammy's file and manually remove my number from it. So, do I know Scammy's social number? Uhm, of course not. Do I know Scammy's full name? Nope. Do I know what it is Scammy owes (credit card, loan, etc)? No! All I knew is that the call asked for Scammy and, by law, they could not tell more.

In the end, I had to insist they blanket block the number. "But you won't get any news about new products or the great things we can offer you." "Even better" was my answer.

So far, no more calls. Let's see who Scammy scams next.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17093 on: September 05, 2014, 09:17:04 AM »
I've been bombarded with the political survey calls recently. I've had three just this morning.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Hillia

« Reply #17094 on: September 05, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »
The CDC has been calling our landline every 2-3 days with a survey about smoking.  We never answer it, and I haven't called back.  No one has our landline number, we don't use it at all, so I don't know why the CDC is calling us.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #17095 on: September 05, 2014, 10:00:58 AM »
The CDC has been calling our landline every 2-3 days with a survey about smoking.  We never answer it, and I haven't called back.  No one has our landline number, we don't use it at all, so I don't know why the CDC is calling us.

They are probably conducting a research study and are trying to recruit you as a survey participant. Cold calling at random is one way to get a sample. I participated in a CDC survey about childhood vaccines a few years ago and it was just a bunch of questions about what vaccines DD had and how I felt about the safety of vaccines. They use the data in reports and such. I actually think it's really cool to answer these and be a part of "science."  ;D
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #17096 on: September 05, 2014, 10:06:08 AM »
I've been bombarded with the political survey calls recently. I've had three just this morning.
Ah, yes, the ones that are thinly disguised campaign calls?  "If Candidate Smith supports Good Things A, B, C, and D would it make you more likely to vote for him?  If Candidate Jones supports Bad Things X, Y, Z, and Q would it make you less likely to vote for him?  What if you heard that Candidate Jones kicks puppies?  Candidate Smith volunteers at the local animal shelter, you know. "
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mental Magpie

« Reply #17097 on: September 05, 2014, 10:11:59 AM »
The infections I get on my face throughout the year drive me up the wall because they're so itchy! I just want to scratch!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17098 on: September 05, 2014, 10:28:07 AM »
CRUD MONKEYS! my tailbone still freaking hurts.  :'(

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #17099 on: September 05, 2014, 01:15:02 PM »

They are probably conducting a research study and are trying to recruit you as a survey participant. Cold calling at random is one way to get a sample. I participated in a CDC survey about childhood vaccines a few years ago and it was just a bunch of questions about what vaccines DD had and how I felt about the safety of vaccines. They use the data in reports and such. I actually think it's really cool to answer these and be a part of "science."  ;D

Even if your phone number for your landline is unlisted, it is provided by the phone company to the government for studies like that. I learned all about things like that during a research class. My university, being a state entity, has access to all landline phone numbers within 8 counties, whether or not they are listed or on the do not call list.

Oh, and the poster who mentioned having internet access requires a phone line is correct if it is DSL service, not for cable.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien