Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1732531 times)

Carotte

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #17100 on: August 10, 2014, 08:04:36 AM »
People complaining that Peter Capaldi is too old and "ugly" to be the Doctor, and oh my gosh the show will be awful.

Then why are you(general you) still watching and talking about it?

Btw that is Peter Capaldi in my signature, and I happen to think he is quite the silver fox myself. Just because he is not to your(general) taste doesn't mean someone else won't find him appealing.

Corollary to the above: Anyone in a fandom who does nothing but complain because a series isn't going the direction they think it should. And I won't even go into shipping wars...  ::)

A good majority will act like this:

First episode of new doctor: "Meh, Doctor X will never compare to Doctor X-1!"
A few episodes in: "yeah, Doctor X isn't that bad after all"
end of season/last episode of Doctor X: "nooo, he was such a good Doctor!"

I know, I was like that with Matt Smith, I ended up just loving his Doctor - some of it due to the way he was writen compared to 9 or 10, some of it due to the actor himself.
So I'm not saying anything until I can see Capaldi in action  :)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17101 on: August 10, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »
So I'm not saying anything until I can see Capaldi in action  :)
I'm prepared to love him on prior familiarity with his work, most notably Neverwhere and now The Musketeers.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #17102 on: August 10, 2014, 10:59:46 AM »
People complaining that Peter Capaldi is too old and "ugly" to be the Doctor, and oh my gosh the show will be awful.

Btw that is Peter Capaldi in my signature, and I happen to think he is quite the silver fox myself. Just because he is not to your(general) taste doesn't mean someone else won't find him appealing.

Corollary to the above: Anyone in a fandom who does nothing but complain because a series isn't going the direction they think it should. And I won't even go into shipping wars...  ::)

Besides, most of the Doctors were not handsome young men.

Precisely!  Tom Baker isn't exactly a traditional heartthrob and neither was Jon Pertwee. 

I've been a Whovian since the 70's and find all this handwringing very amusing.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #17103 on: August 10, 2014, 11:02:34 AM »
How about people in Meetup who click the option to not receive e-mails, event updates, or other similar information from the leaders of their groups?  Or even read entire event announcements?  This is an escalating complaint among organizers.

These same people complain when they demand to know how to purchase tickets and the information is right on the event announcement or a general e-mail sent out to the membership.

I run and help run a few meetups. 

I have a script I use that reminds people that
a. Meetup is a online only organizing tool.
b. I have no control over whether or not they receive Meetup emails.
c.If they CHOOSE not to receive emails, then the onus is on them to check the group and/or contact the organizers if they want to attend.
D.  Any and all updates are posted on the event for members to keep track. 

It's a short paragraph that I tweak slightly for each person.  But those 4 points don't change.  I've not gotten too much pushback, but the ones who did eventually end up leaving the groups because I can't read their mind.  ::)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #17104 on: August 10, 2014, 08:33:10 PM »

Besides, he's my age, and I find men closer to my age attractive now. 

dawnfire

« Reply #17105 on: August 10, 2014, 08:55:24 PM »

Besides, most of the Doctors were not handsome young men.

Precisely!  Tom Baker isn't exactly a traditional heartthrob and neither was Jon Pertwee. 

I've been a Whovian since the 70's and find all this handwringing very amusing.

I think Peter Davidson was the closest to a heartthrob they had until  David Tennant.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #17106 on: August 10, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
Yeah, the celery was just the touch that put it all over the top.  :)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17107 on: August 11, 2014, 06:34:15 AM »
Small update on the bad smell in the kitchen.  It was, in fact, a bad potato.  Guess who finally had enough and went after it last night?  Me.

Also, I noticed when I was making some tea that someone had broken the handle off the brewing basket of my cappuccino maker and didn't tell me.  It's bad enough that my brother threw out the little black scoop a few years back because he thought they 'came with the espresso', and now I can't use the milk steamer because there was an octagon-shaped hole at the end of the scoop that was used for unscrewing the end of it.  That, at least, was an honest mistake.  This, on the other hand...

Edit: I forgot there's an extra brewing basket because the machine itself is a replacement for the one my dad accidentally put on a hot burner and melted the bottom of, so nobody owes me a new brewing basket, but it still ticked me off.  It's more the 'not telling' part than the 'breaking' part.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:38:26 AM by CrochetFanatic »

audhs

« Reply #17108 on: August 11, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »
This is prompted by the special snowflake thread, but people who don't pay attention to what's happening around them.    In that thread someone was so caught up in there phone they didn't notice it was there turn, even after multiple people tried to get their attention.

The other one is at traffic lights especially turn lights. The other day I missed two separate green lights because a person in front of me was doing something other than pay attention to the colour of the traffic light. 

Shalamar

« Reply #17109 on: August 11, 2014, 11:18:31 AM »
Also, I noticed when I was making some tea that someone had broken the handle off the brewing basket of my cappuccino maker and didn't tell me. 

Something like this happened last week!  The lid to our blender has a little clear plastic knob on top that also serves as a measuring cup of sorts.  The lid had been in the dishwasher, and when I went to remove it, the knob kept falling out.  I said "Huh - that's weird.  What's wrong with this thing?"  My husband said casually "That's because the knob is broken" (in a somewhat "Duh" tone).  I said "What? Since when?"  Since the previous week, apparently.   He somehow thought I'd know, even though I wasn't there when it happened and he didn't tell me.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17110 on: August 11, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »
This is prompted by the special snowflake thread, but people who don't pay attention to what's happening around them.    In that thread someone was so caught up in there phone they didn't notice it was there turn, even after multiple people tried to get their attention.

The other one is at traffic lights especially turn lights. The other day I missed two separate green lights because a person in front of me was doing something other than pay attention to the colour of the traffic light.

That's when I give a small tap on the horn, just to get their attention. But its still annoying, esp if the turn light only last for so many cars. The one I take to et to work, i know just by where I am in line to turn, and so on, whether I'll make it or not :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17111 on: August 11, 2014, 02:07:58 PM »
When someone misrepresents their situation to a superior in hopes that it will be resolved in their favor, then I become involved and have to point out that the facts were not offered in total.

No, the person in question isn't being denied admission to the university based on reason A. They were a student several years ago, did terribly and have been disqualified from readmission. It makes it doubly uncomfortable when I know everyone involved.  :-X

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17112 on: August 11, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
When someone misrepresents their situation to a superior in hopes that it will be resolved in their favor, then I become involved and have to point out that the facts were not offered in total.

No, the person in question isn't being denied admission to the university based on reason A. They were a student several years ago, did terribly and have been disqualified from readmission. It makes it doubly uncomfortable when I know everyone involved.  :-X

Yes, and in a similar vein, when I am helping a customer in the store, and for whatever reason, I can't do what they want. Take their return past the 90 period, or can't find them the item they want, in spite of me exhausting every avenue.

Then someone else, generally a manager, will come along, not knowing all the facts, or what I've done, and gives the customer false hope "oh we might have thatg in the back" of "well you could try this or that" No, i've already looked and we do not. And I've already done what you suggested.  So please just shut it, and let me finish with my customer.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17113 on: August 11, 2014, 09:58:05 PM »
Games that don't allow you to opt out of the tutorial.  Look, I played this game multiple times as version 1, Mr. Game Designer.  I don't need the blinkin' tutorial in versions 2, 3, and 4!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17114 on: August 11, 2014, 11:49:44 PM »
I made canned chow mein tonight, and I always add an extra can of diced up chicken breast.  When I opened the brand-new can of chicken, I wondered what all these little black things were.  Since it was a new can, and nothing smelled off, I added it.  When I examined the can more closely, I saw "Chunk Chicken" in big letters, and "with lemon pepper" in the fine print  ::).  It didn't really change the flavoring, but it's getting tough to find a can of chicken/a can of tomatoes/a bag of rice/anything without a lot of added spices and/or poorly marked cans and bags.