Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1788176 times)

JadeAngel

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #17115 on: August 12, 2014, 12:34:00 AM »
I made canned chow mein tonight, and I always add an extra can of diced up chicken breast.  When I opened the brand-new can of chicken, I wondered what all these little black things were.  Since it was a new can, and nothing smelled off, I added it.  When I examined the can more closely, I saw "Chunk Chicken" in big letters, and "with lemon pepper" in the fine print  ::).  It didn't really change the flavoring, but it's getting tough to find a can of chicken/a can of tomatoes/a bag of rice/anything without a lot of added spices and/or poorly marked cans and bags.

I have the same problem with canned tuna. It's becoming very easy to find canned tuna in lemon vinaigrette, with sundried tomatoes or seeded mustard or black pepper, but a can of plain tuna in brine? Nope, don't have it.

::)

Cherry91

« Reply #17116 on: August 12, 2014, 08:22:46 AM »
Games that don't allow you to opt out of the tutorial.  Look, I played this game multiple times as version 1, Mr. Game Designer.  I don't need the blinkin' tutorial in versions 2, 3, and 4!

And worse, the ones that block off all other options but the one they're currently teaching you, so you're hitting buttons trying to speed through and nothing is happening!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17117 on: August 12, 2014, 03:12:29 PM »
Bad google maps directions.  My phone uses this and on more than one occasion I've gotten very confused as to the location of a house because of the directions.

Sunday before last I was going to the home of someone from my church for the first time and the gps directions told me "Your destination is on the left."   Now mind you, these people lived on "Bear Creek" but we were only on "Bullriding road" which lead to Bear Creek.  What's more, their house turned out to be on the right side of Bear Creek and not the left side of Bullriding Road. I double checked the address I put in and sure enough, I'd put in 12345 Bear Creek but it had me stopping at a similar address on Bullriding RD.  OOokay.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #17118 on: August 12, 2014, 05:55:14 PM »
My mother's unwillingness to accept that other people live on different schedules to her... specifically wake/sleep cycles.  >:(

I'm a night owl. Always have been. Mum is very definitely a lark, up with the dawn, and is physically incapable of staying asleep past about 6am. Plus, once she's awake she has to be up and doing, and has often mentioned that she can't understand how I'm able to turn over and go back to sleep if I want to.

I got a phone call from Mum about half an hour ago. She didn't have anything in particular to talk about, just wanted to chat to me on her way somewhere.

It wasn't even ten past 7 yet. My alarm goes off at 7:20. When she realised she'd woken me up, her first thought was that I must not be going to work today (i.e. I must be sick because otherwise of course I'd be up!); then she asked what time it was (!!! who phones someone at stupid o'clock without actually checking the time?!); and then she cheerfully informed me that she'd 'love me and leave me' because she'd just found the place she was looking for, and hung up.  >:(
"Set aphasia to stun!"

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17119 on: August 12, 2014, 06:07:56 PM »
That also drives me nuts. I do get up before 7 AM every weekday for work, and enjoy sleeping in and staying up past 11 PM on the weekends. I know many people who can't fathom how I can do that, but I do.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #17120 on: August 12, 2014, 07:05:21 PM »
Bad google maps directions.  My phone uses this and on more than one occasion I've gotten very confused as to the location of a house because of the directions.

Sunday before last I was going to the home of someone from my church for the first time and the gps directions told me "Your destination is on the left."   Now mind you, these people lived on "Bear Creek" but we were only on "Bullriding road" which lead to Bear Creek.  What's more, their house turned out to be on the right side of Bear Creek and not the left side of Bullriding Road. I double checked the address I put in and sure enough, I'd put in 12345 Bear Creek but it had me stopping at a similar address on Bullriding RD.  OOokay.

Try Waze it is free on IOS and I think on Android and Windows. Google bought it. It is crowd sourced. I've used it in Houston for several years and it has only done what you are talking about one time - it put a restaurant in the middle of a subdivision's Lake/water feature. But that had to do with the way the little center was designed.

It can even accurately locate our farm/wild life refuge. It does get a little confused how to get there. It will get you to the turn off of the FM road - but if I leave it on -  the private dirt road and the really private dirt tack across a neighbor's property make it go a little crazy trying to find a road.

Because it is crowd sourced it also warns you of
- speed traps
-traffic jams
-accidents
- objects on road
- construction
-potholes
-roadkill
-Vehicles stopped on shoulder
-Animals along shoulder
-Missing signs
-Weather (They need to add street flooding)
-closures of roads

If say there is a ladder that flew off a landscaping truck on the tollway (bounced over my car kind of diagonally  when it really happened). You can tap the screen and say Warning Object on road. Now every wazer behind me will get a warning. When it gets cleared someone will do the same to say it is gone.

When they close/move roads Waze both allows users to plot the new road -and uses GPS data of people traveling the new road to move their maps. The county is doing a complete change in the surface road intersections on my route home - most changes are updated within 12 hours and confirmed in less than 48.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #17121 on: August 12, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »

Try Waze it is free on IOS and I think on Android and Windows. Google bought it. It is crowd sourced. I've used it in Houston for several years and it has only done what you are talking about one time - it put a restaurant in the middle of a subdivision's Lake/water feature. But that had to do with the way the little center was designed.

It can even accurately locate our farm/wild life refuge. It does get a little confused how to get there. It will get you to the turn off of the FM road - but if I leave it on -  the private dirt road and the really private dirt tack across a neighbor's property make it go a little crazy trying to find a road.

Because it is crowd sourced it also warns you of
- speed traps
-traffic jams
-accidents
- objects on road
- construction
-potholes
-roadkill
-Vehicles stopped on shoulder
-Animals along shoulder
-Missing signs
-Weather (They need to add street flooding)
-closures of roads

If say there is a ladder that flew off a landscaping truck on the tollway (bounced over my car kind of diagonally  when it really happened). You can tap the screen and say Warning Object on road. Now every wazer behind me will get a warning. When it gets cleared someone will do the same to say it is gone.

When they close/move roads Waze both allows users to plot the new road -and uses GPS data of people traveling the new road to move their maps. The county is doing a complete change in the surface road intersections on my route home - most changes are updated within 12 hours and confirmed in less than 48.

I L.O.V.E. Waze!!!  Best app ever.  their routing and gps isn't the greatest, but their road conditions service is the best

JadeAngel

« Reply #17122 on: August 12, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »

This. I was looking up directions last week and Google Maps told me to go to the end of my street turn right and, at the next intersection, turn left onto Main Road. The problem is it's impossible to exit onto Main Road from that street, which is quite clearly signposted. I wonder how many people who don't know the area are following the instructions from Google Maps and finding themselves stuck at a dead end.

turtleIScream

« Reply #17123 on: August 12, 2014, 10:16:28 PM »
Song lyrics that change from 3rd to 2nd person. Seriously, are you singing about him, or to him? Make up your mind!
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17124 on: August 12, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »

This. I was looking up directions last week and Google Maps told me to go to the end of my street turn right and, at the next intersection, turn left onto Main Road. The problem is it's impossible to exit onto Main Road from that street, which is quite clearly signposted. I wonder how many people who don't know the area are following the instructions from Google Maps and finding themselves stuck at a dead end.

I hear you. We have this street near our house, runs about 4 blocks and on one end you can only make a right turn onto the street perpendicular to it.  So you can only turn right onto Trophy Blvd from Elm St.   And you can't turn left onto Elm when you're coming from Trophy.  You have to drive up to Peach and turn left there, make a left onto Elm then right onto our street. 

Which is annoying, since we're on the corner of Our St. And Elm and can see Trophy Blvd from our house but there you have it.  *shrug*.  But GPS systems don't know this so they'll tell you to turn left from Elm onto Trophy, or left from Trophy onto Elm.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #17125 on: August 13, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
Mel, I flew out to visit my parents recently, and one day I decided to have an afternoon nap.  Very unlike me, but I thought "What the heck".  I overheard my parents muttering worriedly to each other "How on earth does she hold down a job if she sleeps so much?"    All because I decided to take advantage of the fact that I didn't have to worry about work or my kids or chores!

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17126 on: August 13, 2014, 12:45:13 PM »
Why is it that nearly every time a celebrity passes away these days, a bunch of posts sprout up on the internet saying that they were killed by the Illuminati?  If I was a family member or a friend, I think I'd be furious.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17127 on: August 13, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »
Someone on my feed shared something about the WBC picketing Robin William's funeral.  By now I just roll my eyes at those folks and don't take them seriously.  But I am starting to get more annoyed at the folks who give them attention cause that's what the WBC wants.

KimberlyM

« Reply #17128 on: August 13, 2014, 02:52:29 PM »
I cannot find a dress for my dads wedding.  I've been searching for a month, and have 10 days left.  Part of it is that I am cheap, but also because I am picky and I have gained some weight and can't seem to figure out how to dress this new shape.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #17129 on: August 13, 2014, 03:45:41 PM »
Someone on my feed shared something about the WBC picketing Robin William's funeral.  By now I just roll my eyes at those folks and don't take them seriously.  But I am starting to get more annoyed at the folks who give them attention cause that's what the WBC wants.

Did you read the Reddit AMA they had ? The few answers they pried out of the WBC were so bizarre and evasive (although most of the jokes posters came up made me laugh really loud)