News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 03:53:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5489457 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #17160 on: September 11, 2014, 07:33:50 AM »
^ I think you should lodge a complaint about that. Is it possible your email service had a hiccup? Sometimes, emails that were supposed to be instant occasionally take hours to arrive because the email service I use hiccuped.

Something I might suggest is getting a hotmail account that forwards to your regular account. Tell it to keep the email it forwards. Then, if you ask for a reset or other service that should email you right away and it isn't in your 'usual' inbox, you can check hotmail to see if it arrived there. It's what I do for important things like that.
I literally only use that email for Microsoft communications(I had to have an official Microsoft email for part of my job) and, up until yesterday, my PSN account. I get no emails there that aren't from them.

It's not your email, I would bet real money on that. The PSN and Sony's websites in general are horrible! Incredibly user-unfriendly, clunky, hard to navigate... there are 'help' popups that spring up when you've finally gotten to the page you want, can't be cancelled, and clicking on them will send you to a completely different part of the site. And, yes, password reset emails and other important communications show up hours if not days after you request them. BAH.

You have my sympathy. :P :-*
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #17161 on: September 11, 2014, 07:40:13 AM »
Not my problem but a friend is having major problems getting his mac computer problem dealt with.  He had a major bug infestation and a number of them got into his laptop keyboard.  No authorized service person for that company will deal with the problem.  They may be attempting to force him to buy a new unit (his is only 2 years old).

Mental Magpie

« Reply #17162 on: September 11, 2014, 07:41:53 AM »
Not my problem but a friend is having major problems getting his mac computer problem dealt with.  He had a major bug infestation and a number of them got into his laptop keyboard.  No authorized service person for that company will deal with the problem.  They may be attempting to force him to buy a new unit (his is only 2 years old).

I kind of see their point, though. What if they accept it and the bugs get out and infest other stuff in their warehouse? They'll have a bigger problem on their hands.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #17163 on: September 11, 2014, 07:45:59 AM »

I kind of see their point, though. What if they accept it and the bugs get out and infest other stuff in their warehouse? They'll have a bigger problem on their hands.
I know we (Best Buy) have a strict "No Biohazard" policy-no bugs, bodily fluids, etc- we're not set up to deal with those kind of contaminants.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #17164 on: September 11, 2014, 07:50:30 AM »
For the bugs, put the computer in the garage or on a porch, put it in a plastic bag and use a fogger. Worst case, it damages the outside. Best case, it kills the bugs.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Mal

« Reply #17165 on: September 11, 2014, 08:33:34 AM »

I would pay good money for a recording of him calling the support hotline for his computer. I imagine it would go something like this:

"How can I help you?"
- "I got bugs in my computer!"
"What software is malfunctioning?"
- "All of it, I think the bugs got in the main board. It won't start."
"So you think there might be a BIOS bug?"
- "I don't know what a buyer's bug looks like, is that anything like a roach?"
"Have you tried updating the firmware?"
- "...well I tried Raid..."

And so forth.

HiverFleur

« Reply #17166 on: September 11, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »

That's not a service issue, so I don't see it as an attempt to force him to buy new. It's a personal problem, so if he has to buy new, it's his fault.

shhh its me

« Reply #17167 on: September 11, 2014, 09:52:41 AM »

I would pay good money for a recording of him calling the support hotline for his computer. I imagine it would go something like this:

"How can I help you?"
- "I got bugs in my computer!"
"What software is malfunctioning?"
- "All of it, I think the bugs got in the main board. It won't start."
"So you think there might be a BIOS bug?"
- "I don't know what a buyer's bug looks like, is that anything like a roach?"
"Have you tried updating the firmware?"
- "...well I tried Raid..."

And so forth.

My first respond was "Wow the keyboard is bugged and they wont help." then "ohhhhh bugs."   

While I do think its more then a minor annoyance I don't think its a tech support problem. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #17168 on: September 11, 2014, 09:59:20 AM »
For the bugs, put the computer in the garage or on a porch, put it in a plastic bag and use a fogger. Worst case, it damages the outside. Best case, it kills the bugs.

Or put in a chunk of dry ice instead. (Available at many supermarkets.)
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #17169 on: September 11, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »

Much better idea.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Mal

« Reply #17170 on: September 11, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »

Much better idea.

...huh?
I'm outing myself as not all that up on chemistry but definitely curious:
How would that work?

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #17171 on: September 11, 2014, 10:22:07 AM »
Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide.  As it melts, the CO2 will displace the oxygen and suffocate the little buggers (pun intended).
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #17172 on: September 11, 2014, 10:24:16 AM »

Much better idea.

...huh?
I'm outing myself as not all that up on chemistry but definitely curious:
How would that work?

Dry ice evaporates into carbon dioxide; put it in a sealed bag with the laptop, and you'll end up with a contained atmosphere that will smother the bugs.

(Much better than the fogger, yes, because bug spray in any form risks leaving a residue that could either ruin the computer by corroding / shorting something out, or make the user sick when it transfers to their hands. :-X)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mal

« Reply #17173 on: September 11, 2014, 10:27:09 AM »
Oh that is awesome! I almost wish I had a bug-infested computer so I could try that out...

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #17174 on: September 11, 2014, 10:30:28 AM »
Knitting on a loom when you're looping the yarn around the pegs and then it all unravels and you have to start going around again. Gr.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata