Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1735269 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #17190 on: August 24, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »
People do this where I live, specifically, use landmarks that no longer exist to give directions. "Take a left on Main Rd. Then turn right just past where the Peterson's store used to be."

<raises hand, guiltily>  I told the now Mr_Deb how to meet me somewhere once by saying, "Turn right where Erkkinen Buick used to be" and "Turn left at the really neat church".  It made perfect sense to me at the time.

This doesn't just happen with driving directions.  A friend was taking flying lessons and was told to 'turn left at the starch factory'.

Was that before or after they spotted the 1939 New York World's Fair below ?  >:D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odyssey_of_Flight_33

mlogica

« Reply #17191 on: August 24, 2014, 10:44:23 PM »
I haven't read this giant topic, but will post one that I hope isn't too much like anyone's previous contribution:  it really gets on my nerves that a particular friend of ours refers to just about any non-business interaction among men as "male bonding".  Example:  DH and friend and a couple of other male friends were going to see some action movie together.  They were having dinner first, so I invited myself along for dinner (not interested in the movie, but know and like and otherwise socialize with the guys).  Note:  this kind of self-invite is completely not a problem within this particular social circle; it's not something I would just do at random.  Anyway, in an email to the group, the friend said something about how it was nice that I was joining them so that I could "experience male bonding".  Huh?

I don't know why it bugs me so much, but it really, really does!!!

nayberry

« Reply #17192 on: August 25, 2014, 09:19:13 AM »
when hubby gets grumpy and decides that just before going to bed is the right time to try and argue with me...  just really???
having a go at me about sthg not in my control and then getting huffier when i tell him to shut up as i want to sleep!!

ack!!!

Snooks

« Reply #17193 on: August 25, 2014, 10:43:01 AM »
Tearing my hair out trying to get responses out of 15 year olds.  I seem to have encountered the only teenagers who aren't glued to some sort of device and therefore don't respond to emails.

mmswm

« Reply #17194 on: August 25, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »
Tearing my hair out trying to get responses out of 15 year olds.  I seem to have encountered the only teenagers who aren't glued to some sort of device and therefore don't respond to emails.

Email and Facebook are too old fashioned.  Try Instagram.

My annoyance for the day: Antique pianos that haven't been moved in 20 years. I got it moved to clean out from under it, and mostly got it moved back, but it's not *quite* in the right place and I'm debating just leaving it there.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17195 on: August 25, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »
People who can't take a hint.  >:(

Earlier today, I had just gotten up and I wasn't quite feeling 'human' yet.  I was sitting with my laptop and a cup of coffee, trying to wake up and watching something on YT, when my brother came over and asked "Who's that?  Sounds familiar."  I told him who it was, and he said, "Cool, can I watch?"

I told him "No, but it's called *insert video title*, if you want to go look it up."

He said, "That's okay, I'll just listen." and plunked himself down on the couch. 

I knew I was grumpy, so I just let it slide, but he kept commenting on what he was hearing.  Plus, I could smell his morning breath from there.  When I asked him if he could please just go look it up, he got all pouty and said, "Okaaay...I'll leave you alone.  Sorry." and trudged out of the room.

How did I go from minding my own business and trying to wake up to being treated like the meanest witch on Earth?  I didn't think I was abrupt, or anything, and I didn't tell him that he was gassing me out with his morning breath.  Ugh.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17196 on: August 26, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »
Friends that blow up social media about their latest fad. One particular couple bounces from fad to fad every few weeks. 3 months ago, it was miraculous exercise supplement, then it was fad diet A, and now it is juicing. Blah, blah juicing, I feel amazing, whatever.

What makes me want to block them is that friend and her DH will start selling whatever their latest fad is, so you have product testimonials and ads for 'parties'.

I need a nice cave on a cliff with no internet for a weekend.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17197 on: August 26, 2014, 07:20:10 PM »
When it somehow takes me 10 minutes (on my half hour lunch break) to get to a fast food place, but only 5 minutes to get back.  Why does it take twice as long?  It's the same route, same light pattern, everything. 

When telemarketers act like you're the rude one for saying "Please don't call here again".

When you're promised the schedule will be out on Monday, but now it's Tuesday night and she's "just now getting to it". 

PeterM

« Reply #17198 on: August 26, 2014, 07:49:04 PM »
Parking lots have driven me nuts this weekend. To be fair, not the parking lots themselves so much as the nitwits who get in my way in them. We had the usual gamut of suicidal folks who amble slowly in front of moving cars, giving no indication at all that there's anyone else in the world other than them. Sometimes I honestly think it should be legal to run them over, just a little bit.

One woman really annoyed me. She was driving one of those electric carts right down the middle of the aisle, blocking traffic in both directions. Then she got up off the cart and went behind it to do something I couldn't see before sitting down and moving on. This all happened at a glacially slow pace, though, because she was far more interested in the cigarette she was smoking and the screen of her phone than she was in paying any attention at all to her surroundings, whether she was on foot or on wheels.

mmswm

« Reply #17199 on: August 26, 2014, 08:56:51 PM »
Sometimes I honestly think it should be legal to run them over, just a little bit.

Amusingly enough, my son said almost exactly the same thing this morning when we weren't able to get through an intersection with a notoriously long light in the other direction because some nitwit on foot decided to cross against the signal but couldn't be bothered to at least be quick about it.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Betelnut

« Reply #17200 on: August 26, 2014, 10:11:37 PM »
Parking lots have driven me nuts this weekend. To be fair, not the parking lots themselves so much as the nitwits who get in my way in them. We had the usual gamut of suicidal folks who amble slowly in front of moving cars, giving no indication at all that there's anyone else in the world other than them. Sometimes I honestly think it should be legal to run them over, just a little bit.

One woman really annoyed me. She was driving one of those electric carts right down the middle of the aisle, blocking traffic in both directions. Then she got up off the cart and went behind it to do something I couldn't see before sitting down and moving on. This all happened at a glacially slow pace, though, because she was far more interested in the cigarette she was smoking and the screen of her phone than she was in paying any attention at all to her surroundings, whether she was on foot or on wheels.

Did you try a little honk at her?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #17201 on: August 26, 2014, 10:14:09 PM »
Right now, it's my body.  It can't make up it's mind and won't just level itself out.  Stop it already, you!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mmswm

« Reply #17202 on: August 26, 2014, 10:32:34 PM »
Teenagers!  They're attached to their phones 24/7 until mom tries to call.  Grrrrrr.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #17203 on: August 26, 2014, 10:35:46 PM »
Teenagers!  They're attached to their phones 24/7 until mom tries to call.  Grrrrrr.

Did you see the article about the app a mom created where the phone is disable unless the phone calls a specific number (the parent's number, usually)?  I didn't read it, just the headlines, but it could be useful.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mmswm

« Reply #17204 on: August 26, 2014, 11:07:07 PM »

Did you see the article about the app a mom created where the phone is disable unless the phone calls a specific number (the parent's number, usually)?  I didn't read it, just the headlines, but it could be useful.

Interesting.  Very, very interesting.

I already have them set up so I can control them from my laptop if need be.  This particular teenager is grounded until school starts.  This started with a "you're a bit late, where are you?" text and devolved into him being a 30 minute walk away from where he said he'd be (the central library in the downtown area of a major US city), and a nearly 2 hour walk/train ride/walk from where he should have been (where I am, at a friend's house in the 'burbs).  Seems like the last weekend before school is going to be pretty boring for him.  The leash just got really tight.

*Note, this is not typical behavior for him.  He's sometimes bad about communicating changes of plans, but he's never been this far off course.  I regularly let him go downtown by himself on the train to go to the library, and the Find My iPhone app proves he's there when I check up on him, so I'm treating this as the first time offense it is, and only grounding him until school starts next Tuesday.