News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 01:54:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 5491187 times)

JoW

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #17235 on: September 15, 2014, 10:27:49 PM »
Vinegar will cut the soap slime.  Get a gallon or two of cheap white vinegar - I call it "cleaning vinegar" because its also good for removing hard water stains.  Soak the soapy areas with vinegar.

Dr. F.

« Reply #17236 on: September 15, 2014, 10:40:26 PM »
The fact that I have lived in this house for over 2 weeks now, and I still cannot figure out how to turn on two of the overhead lights. The ceiling fans work for both of them - but no light. It's driving me bonkers.

Hillia

« Reply #17237 on: September 15, 2014, 11:29:55 PM »
The fact that I have lived in this house for over 2 weeks now, and I still cannot figure out how to turn on two of the overhead lights. The ceiling fans work for both of them - but no light. It's driving me bonkers.

Is there a dimmer switch that controls the lights?  I had the exact same problem in the last rental we lived in; it took me 3 months to figure out that the lights were on a dimmer that was turned all the way down!

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #17238 on: September 15, 2014, 11:49:33 PM »
That dragon eggs thread. I posted in it back in 2008 and it's still going on. I deleted the posts I personally made in the thread but it still shows up in my "new replies" list.

Ser Lucien Liliane

• The Unsleeping Translator
    • My tumblr
« Reply #17239 on: September 15, 2014, 11:51:52 PM »
That dragon eggs thread. I posted in it back in 2008 and it's still going on. I deleted the posts I personally made in the thread but it still shows up in my "new replies" list.

There should be a button at the top (or bottom) of the thread that says "Unnotify". Try that?
"Ah, yes. I forgot you've taken levels in Defeating Paperwork."

audhs

« Reply #17240 on: September 15, 2014, 11:54:31 PM »

You've probably already done this but is there a pull chain on the fan? That's how my parent fan worked so you could leave the fan on with the lights off.

Xandraea

« Reply #17241 on: September 16, 2014, 12:56:34 AM »

Is there a dimmer switch that controls the lights?  I had the exact same problem in the last rental we lived in; it took me 3 months to figure out that the lights were on a dimmer that was turned all the way down!

I lived in a house for 2 years and never figured out what some of the light switches were for. The house had tons of overhead lights on dimmers, but mysterious switches that didn't seem to go with anything. I even went around with a nightlight to see if the switches were for outlets.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #17242 on: September 16, 2014, 01:12:10 AM »
I hate to say it, but I'm thinking about giving up online Roleplay for good.  Someone I've been RPing with for a couple years on Tumblr has been mysteriously silent on one of their blogs, and I just realized when I went looking for it that the blog got deleted.  Our characters were a couple, so silly me, I thought maybe I'd get a heads-up if she decided to bail.  Because, you know, online friends still count as friends, right?  Nope.  I found out because 1) Blog got deleted, and 2) she stated on another blog she has (Tumblr RPers can have multiple blogs, if you guys didn't know) that she has a new boyfriend and that she is in the "clingy phase".

I get it.  I do.  But I have a feeling that if I had pulled something like that, I would've been called out for being inconsiderate.  Is it that hard to say, "Well, it's been great, but I've decided to close shop"?

So, anyway...I didn't make a scene or anything, I just said "Congratulations" and logged off for the night.  Kicked to the curb again.  >:(

TL;DR: Inconsiderate RP partners suck/I need to get a life!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #17243 on: September 16, 2014, 01:53:47 AM »
I hate to say it, but I'm thinking about giving up online Roleplay for good.  Someone I've been RPing with for a couple years on Tumblr has been mysteriously silent on one of their blogs, and I just realized when I went looking for it that the blog got deleted.  Our characters were a couple, so silly me, I thought maybe I'd get a heads-up if she decided to bail.  Because, you know, online friends still count as friends, right?  Nope.  I found out because 1) Blog got deleted, and 2) she stated on another blog she has (Tumblr RPers can have multiple blogs, if you guys didn't know) that she has a new boyfriend and that she is in the "clingy phase".

I get it.  I do.  But I have a feeling that if I had pulled something like that, I would've been called out for being inconsiderate.  Is it that hard to say, "Well, it's been great, but I've decided to close shop"?

So, anyway...I didn't make a scene or anything, I just said "Congratulations" and logged off for the night.  Kicked to the curb again.  >:(

TL;DR: Inconsiderate RP partners suck/I need to get a life!

Started reading this, thought we were talking about D&D-type tabletop RPGs... now I'm not so sure.  ;)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #17244 on: September 16, 2014, 03:34:43 AM »
If you ask me/my family to play a guessing game of "Do you remember me?" at the visitation for my mom when we have clearly been, in my dad's words, snot-blowin' and boo-hooin', you might be driving me up the wall. Double points if you get upset when I don't remember you.

Sir/Ma'am, I am sure that when I knew you, I thought the world of you. But some of you haven't seen me since I was a toddler obsessed with putting band-aids all over myself. It's hard enough remembering all the little details that need to be remembered. Don't do this stuff, because not only are you sad that I don't remember you, but I am embarrassed that I don't remember you, because you were someone who knew my mom well, from work or from her schooling or from a past church she/we attended.

Luckily, most people have been understanding about it being a long week, and I eventually just took to saying, "I'm sure I would remember you if you said your name", because, honestly? I usually did. I remembered my mom talking about coworkers she liked or seminary friends she was praying for, but I hadn't met any of her seminary friends, and the last time I saw her former co-workers (she'd quit her job to do an internship for seminary), violinp and I were trying to sneak watching Pokemon and Space Ghost past our parents at age 11 or so (we're in our early 20's).

Vita brevis, ars longa

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #17245 on: September 16, 2014, 08:07:14 AM »
DH's cousin, D. He's getting married this weekend for the second time. They sent out Facebook invites and then regular invites--although pretty much anyone is invited, they "ran out of invites and probably forgot some people." It's at a park--which isn't bad--but the only toilets are outhouses. Yesterday they started asking family members to help them pay for their keg ("Don't worry, we're getting the cheapest one!")

DH's other cousin, who was married last fall, is baffled at what to get them. D didn't even give her a card at her wedding. Everyone has told her a variant of, "Just give him what he gave you," but it's pretty ingrained for her (and me) to bring gifts for a wedding. I never got a thank you for our gift at his first wedding, and I can't remember if D got us anything for our wedding either (my gut says no, but at this point it's been so long I don't remember.)

I was hoping DH would forget about the wedding, lol. The thing that's driving me up the wall a bit is that if it was anyone else we wouldn't have to go. But because it's faaamily, we are.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #17246 on: September 16, 2014, 11:19:33 AM »
DH's cousin, D. He's getting married this weekend for the second time. They sent out Facebook invites and then regular invites--although pretty much anyone is invited, they "ran out of invites and probably forgot some people." It's at a park--which isn't bad--but the only toilets are outhouses.

To butcher an old expression: if you don't provide a pot to pee in, don't expect me to buy the d_mn pots off your registry

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #17247 on: September 16, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »
My dad calling during dinner (actually, anyone calling during meal times). He knows when it is, knows I don't like to be interrupted, and knows I won't answer the phone.

So, he calls the house phone, then my cell phone, then my house phone again all in less than five minutes during dinner time a few days ago. At this point I think it must be an emergency, so I answer the phone. Needless to say it wasn't an emergency. He said he knew it was the only way I'd answer the phone while I was having dinner. I told him that I was hanging up now and would call him back after I was done eating. You would have thought I told him I never wanted to speak to him.  ::)

Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Sirius

« Reply #17248 on: September 16, 2014, 12:29:21 PM »
People who call you on the phone, and after you say "Hello?", they say "Yeah ... uhhhhhh ... *long pause* ... uhhhh ..."  If you don't know what you wanted to say, why did you call me?

Got a lot of that when we first got married.  I'd lived in my home alone for 12 years, then Mr. Sirius moved in.  When he answered the phone quite a few people were taken aback at a man answering.  Even my sister was surprised.  But in other circumstances I agree with you. 

GreenHall

« Reply #17249 on: September 16, 2014, 12:35:10 PM »
People who call you on the phone, and after you say "Hello?", they say "Yeah ... uhhhhhh ... *long pause* ... uhhhh ..."  If you don't know what you wanted to say, why did you call me?

Sometimes I've mentally prepared my spiel for the voicemail, and an actual, live person confuses me for a moment.