Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1782277 times)

Free Range Hippy Chick

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #17295 on: September 03, 2014, 03:05:16 AM »
As for driving me up the wall it's my families inability to put anything away.  I feel like I spend half my life picking up after everyone else.  Only the one year old has an excuse and she's that one most likely to volunteer to help.  ;)

And toddlers helping is a whole new up-wall-driver. The only phrase more terrifying than 'I helping!' is the indignant 'I can do it mine own self!'

Mal

« Reply #17296 on: September 03, 2014, 07:52:21 AM »
I've had my lunch break today at one of the places where you get to choose which ingredients are used. What irked me was the gentleman who "assembled" my food asking "Are you sure?" after every single choice I made, particularly when I refused some feature that would cost extra.
I started out polite and smiling but after the fifth or sixth time he asked me if I was sure I let my face kind of freeze in position and didn't say anything anymore.
He actually picked up on that and said "I'm not forcing you, I'm just asking."
I didn't comment on that but proceeded to pay up, say thank you and left the store.

To those of you lucky enough to already possess a polite spine (I'm still working on it): What would you have said, if anything?

As for me, in my mind I was saying, with a bemused smile, "I'm sure you're just trying to be polite, and maybe it's store policy here, but getting asked that question that many times is really annoying."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17297 on: September 03, 2014, 09:25:15 AM »
I think a cool and polite "I know how I like my sandwiches, thank you" would work.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17298 on: September 03, 2014, 09:57:19 AM »
Or a simple and blunt Yes to each of his queries.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #17299 on: September 03, 2014, 11:32:04 AM »
"And ham, yes I'm sure.  And hard salami, yes I'm sure..."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #17300 on: September 03, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »
My apologies. I found multiple sources after seeing the initial headline. The link to the report on the fake story: http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/921274-casey-anthony-pregnant-with-twins-reality-tv-show-article-is-fake/

Whew! So it's fake. I'm glad.

That is the best news I've heard all day. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17301 on: September 03, 2014, 02:11:58 PM »
As for driving me up the wall it's my families inability to put anything away.  I feel like I spend half my life picking up after everyone else.  Only the one year old has an excuse and she's that one most likely to volunteer to help.  ;)

And toddlers helping is a whole new up-wall-driver. The only phrase more terrifying than 'I helping!' is the indignant 'I can do it mine own self!'
And by the time they're old enough to actually be useful, they don't want to help anymore.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TeamBhakta

« Reply #17302 on: September 03, 2014, 02:35:39 PM »
I've had my lunch break today at one of the places where you get to choose which ingredients are used. What irked me was the gentleman who "assembled" my food asking "Are you sure?" after every single choice I made, particularly when I refused some feature that would cost extra.
I started out polite and smiling but after the fifth or sixth time he asked me if I was sure I let my face kind of freeze in position and didn't say anything anymore.
He actually picked up on that and said "I'm not forcing you, I'm just asking."
I didn't comment on that but proceeded to pay up, say thank you and left the store.

To those of you lucky enough to already possess a polite spine (I'm still working on it): What would you have said, if anything?

As for me, in my mind I was saying, with a bemused smile, "I'm sure you're just trying to be polite, and maybe it's store policy here, but getting asked that question that many times is really annoying."

I've started encountering that, too. Lately I've been randomly wanting their sandwiches without cheese, toppings or condiments. And somehow it turns into "Are you sure ? You really don't want cheese / mayo / pickles ?" Apparently answering "What else would you like on your sandwich" with "Oh nothing else. Just plain, please" is not acceptable

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17303 on: September 03, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »

They've trained you well.  :) I would stop picking up after them altogether.

lilfox

« Reply #17304 on: September 03, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »
Somehow I've lost my knack for making coffee the way I like it.  Now it tastes too watered down no matter what I do, and it is not the happy start to my mornings anymore.

If I understand correctly, if you are nominated for the Ice Bucket Challenge, you have 24 hours to either donate $100 or dump ice water on your head.  If dumping the ice water is a sign that you chose that option rather than donate money, why are you posting a video of it for people to see??

I'm very happy that it was (and continues to be) a successful fundraiser, and some of the videos are actually pretty amusing (Bush, Cumberbatch, and one of my relatives who made the funniest noises when the water hit him, for example).  And I'm sure a good number of people are doing both the ice water and donating.  But my first reaction is, it's an either/or challenge and the ice water video people seem to be advertising they'd rather be cold and wet than give to charity.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #17305 on: September 03, 2014, 05:34:51 PM »
Somehow I've lost my knack for making coffee the way I like it.  Now it tastes too watered down no matter what I do, and it is not the happy start to my mornings anymore.

If I understand correctly, if you are nominated for the Ice Bucket Challenge, you have 24 hours to either donate $100 or dump ice water on your head.  If dumping the ice water is a sign that you chose that option rather than donate money, why are you posting a video of it for people to see??

I'm very happy that it was (and continues to be) a successful fundraiser, and some of the videos are actually pretty amusing (Bush, Cumberbatch, and one of my relatives who made the funniest noises when the water hit him, for example).  And I'm sure a good number of people are doing both the ice water and donating.  But my first reaction is, it's an either/or challenge and the ice water video people seem to be advertising they'd rather be cold and wet than give to charity.

You have to donate 100 dollars if you don't participate, but you have to donate 10 if you do. Of course, you can always donate more, but your "mandatory" contribution is less.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #17306 on: September 03, 2014, 05:35:49 PM »

They way I understand it, you're supposed to donate either way.  ($10 if you get ice water dumped on you, $100 if not)

nayberry

« Reply #17307 on: September 03, 2014, 06:05:03 PM »
^^ as the pp's said,  hubby has done it and we are donating (as i'm not going to do it!) to a local charity

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #17308 on: September 03, 2014, 08:06:08 PM »
I realize this is silly and petty, but two Facebook behaviors have bugged me lately.

1. An amusing picture of, let's say, a wombat showed up in my feed recently. One of my FB friends just loves wombats so I shared the picture to his timeline. In response, he posted, "Geez...this is the SIXTH time someone has posted this to my timeline!" and added a facepalm picture.

Really, dude? You a) expect people to peruse your entire timeline (the other posts were not recent) before posting something and b) publicly lecture them when they think of you and post something they think you might enjoy? Smooth.

Three different people once shared the same picture to my timeline on the same day. I found it easy enough to like each one and make a short comment thanking the person for sharing it.

2. Another FB friend fairly often shares stuff that I post - not original content authored by me, but things I've found elsewhere and posted. Every time, she removes the attribution saying where she found what she's sharing so it looks like she found it herself.

This irks me, albeit fairly mildly. I just think it's good manners to give credit to the person who brought the post to your attention.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #17309 on: September 03, 2014, 08:16:03 PM »
I realize this is silly and petty, but two Facebook behaviors have bugged me lately.

1. An amusing picture of, let's say, a wombat showed up in my feed recently. One of my FB friends just loves wombats so I shared the picture to his timeline. In response, he posted, "Geez...this is the SIXTH time someone has posted this to my timeline!" and added a facepalm picture.

Really, dude? You a) expect people to peruse your entire timeline (the other posts were not recent) before posting something and b) publicly lecture them when they think of you and post something they think you might enjoy? Smooth.

Three different people once shared the same picture to my timeline on the same day. I found it easy enough to like each one and make a short comment thanking the person for sharing it.

2. Another FB friend fairly often shares stuff that I post - not original content authored by me, but things I've found elsewhere and posted. Every time, she removes the attribution saying where she found what she's sharing so it looks like she found it herself.

This irks me, albeit fairly mildly. I just think it's good manners to give credit to the person who brought the post to your attention.

My sister does this, but it's because she thinks it's an invasion of my privacy* and wants the same in return. Maybe there is someone on my friend's list who has a friend my sister doesn't want to know about what goes on in her life. Depending on someone's settings, that could be possible. My sister doesn't want to take that chance.

*not just mine, but I'm using myself in the example.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.