Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1618864 times)

McCutieBelle

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #195 on: April 06, 2010, 05:29:32 AM »
I am beginning to get annoyed when people tell me to have first and lasts months rent plus an extra months rent and.. I don't know how much my rent will be when I move :( so I am just trying to save a lot.... LOL.
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #196 on: April 06, 2010, 09:10:39 AM »
When my kids or husband ask me a question and I don't know the answer and they keep asking other possibilities.  E.g.:

DK:  What time does the movie start tomorrow?
me:  I don't know.
DK:  2:00?
me:  I don't know(!)
DK:  2:45?
Me:  I. DON'T. KNOW.

That is so irritating and there'll always be one person around who insists that you do know but just don't want to tell them.

Oh, yes.  I work in a library, and while I appreciate the students' confidence in me, I really don't know the answer to every possible arcane question they can think of.  The fact that I try to show them how to look up the answer they're looking for generally frustrates them, presumably because I'm just smugly withholding information from them and forcing them to find out the hard way.  ;)

This is a similar attitude that I get from many of our clients.  I answer the website's "Contact Us" email.  95% of what people are looking for is on the website.  I admit that we need to redesign the website for better clarity, and add some more information, but the website's not difficult to navigate.  Sometimes the questions are vague, so I just give them a link to the ABC or XYZ pages.  A lot of the questions I get are "What's the status of my application?" or "Can you send me an application?"  Alas, I don't have access to the All Powerful Database of Client information, so I have to tell the client to submit a special form for the status check or come to our offices to find out or apply (applications are done only in person).  But that's not the answer they want.  They want me to tell them their status or give them an application now.  Sorry, wish I could, but I can't.   :-\

It's also not really best practice for my department to even answer these emails.  But that's a rant that I prefer to avoid right now.   ::)

LOL!  I just realized both of these drive me up the wall!
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

tarheel220

« Reply #197 on: April 06, 2010, 09:19:22 AM »
I know it's been mentioned in earlier posts, but count me as another person who can't stand to hear someone chewing, especially if they're on the phone.  My boss is bad for smacking gum when he's on the phone or even when he comes into my office. Drives me crazy!

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #198 on: April 06, 2010, 02:23:51 PM »
When my kids or husband ask me a question and I don't know the answer and they keep asking other possibilities.  E.g.:

DK:  What time does the movie start tomorrow?
me:  I don't know.
DK:  2:00?
me:  I don't know(!)
DK:  2:45?
Me:  I. DON'T. KNOW.

I've done this with BF a few times, but that's because he interprets "What time is the movie?" as "do you know down to the minute exactly what time the movie is?" and will answer "no" when he knows it's either 2:05 or 2:15, but can't make the connection that at least giving me the range would be helpful to me :P

In fact, you can add BF's extreme literalness, and refusal to supply relevant connected information that wasn't explicitly asked for, while answering questions to the things that drive me crazy ;) 

Bratski

« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2010, 01:11:31 AM »
I can't stand feet. My DH has the squicky ability to pick things up with his toes and it makes me feel nauseous to even think about it.

People who make the same mistake over and over again though they have been shown the correct way multiple times. Then when you ask them why they did it again, they look at you like you are the one being unreasonable.

I don't like someone losing my page in my book. When DH passes me my book or when he's tidying up he always closes it. I also don't like it when my books get put back on the shelf when I am still reading it. Or when someone decides to rearrange my books.

I don't like talking on the phone (unless I am at work). I can chat about anything in the world face to face but on the phone I like things to get to the point right away.

It irritates me a great deal when someone asks me something then disagrees with my answer.

I don't like seeing people yawn without covering their mouth.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2010, 11:24:24 AM »
I hear you about the feet issue, Bratski. My worst fear is being in a situation where Iíd have to touch someoneís feet, ewww. I don't know nail technicians do it, especially given how gross some people's feet are. A friend of mine who is a model recently posted on Facebook close-up pictures of her feet and ewww as well.

Another thing that bugs me Ė quick service restaurants that donít have napkin dispensers readily available, or who donít hand out enough napkins with your order. Itís something Iíve only noticed as of late. I guess theyíre trying to be environmental or something. Also, one restaurant told me when I asked where the napkins were that they were only handing them out at the counter because they had a problem with homeless people stealing them off the tables

extranormal

« Reply #201 on: April 07, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »
I hear you about the feet issue, Bratski. My worst fear is being in a situation where Iíd have to touch someoneís feet, ewww. I don't know nail technicians do it, especially given how gross some people's feet are. A friend of mine who is a model recently posted on Facebook close-up pictures of her feet and ewww as well.

Oh, so much pod. My family likes to torture me with scenarios like: Would you rather give a pedicure or eat a dozen raw eggs? Podiatrist or guy who cleans the septic tank? As if they don't already know the answers.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »
My first name has a different spelling (but not underheard of, either), and it annoys me when people I know can't bother to spell it correctly. Especially on FB, where one's name is always right there!

deadbody

« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2010, 04:19:21 PM »
Poeple who add an s to a word when it doesn't belong.  The worst for me is the local grocery store Cub Foods.

Cub Foods locations also have bank branches in them, I used to manage there, and would hear people on the phone telling someone "I'm in Cubs"

Drove me up a wall.  You are in CUB FOODS singular.  You are not in multiple cub locations (or cubs) you cannot even balnce your checkbook, let alone master the space time continuum in sufficent fashion to shop in multiple stores at the same time.

My wife and friends think it is funny to say it as often as possible to me :(

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #204 on: April 23, 2010, 04:24:30 PM »
Poeple who add an s to a word when it doesn't belong.  The worst for me is the local grocery store Cub Foods.

Cub Foods locations also have bank branches in them, I used to manage there, and would hear people on the phone telling someone "I'm in Cubs"

Drove me up a wall.  You are in CUB FOODS singular.  You are not in multiple cub locations (or cubs) you cannot even balnce your checkbook, let alone master the space time continuum in sufficent fashion to shop in multiple stores at the same time.

My wife and friends think it is funny to say it as often as possible to me :(

That and Kmarts, Walmarts and JCPenneys.  There are no such places.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #205 on: April 23, 2010, 05:05:36 PM »
On that note: there is no such word as "anyways."
Words mean things.

Petticoats

« Reply #206 on: April 23, 2010, 05:18:31 PM »
It's been so comforting reading this thread and discovering that I am not alone in my hatred of---among other things---apostrophe abuse, an added "s" on store names, and the sounds of eating.

To the last, I must add my recently conceived passionate hatred of the sound of a spoon scraping a plastic yogurt cup. This has come to be a daily (often multiple-times-daily) occurrence with my dieting cubicle mate, and it makes. me. crazy.

My mother lives on hot tea, year round, and every time she takes a sip, it's usually a slurping sip (because it's hot), followed by the sound of swallowing, followed by an "aaaah," either voiced or unvoiced depending on how badly she needed her tea fix. She does this every time she takes a sip. I love my mother dearly, but I feel very violent when I hear this routine.

People who use the word "literally" to mean its exact opposite (figuratively). Do not tell me you literally died, or literally hit the ceiling. You did not.

extranormal

« Reply #207 on: April 23, 2010, 05:22:22 PM »
On that note: there is no such word as "anyways."

I'm reminded of the Murphy Brown character who annoyed everybody with his insistence on saying, "All's I know."

The adding "s" to store names confounds me. Why that, of all things? What's worse, I was guilty of it for a while because I moved from a region with a chain of grocery stores called "Tops" to a region with a chain of grocery stores called "Top." I just know I presented myself as a Random Pluralizer until I adjusted to the change.

Paper Roses

« Reply #208 on: April 23, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »
DH and I work with a woman who has a habit that drives us both nuts.

There is an outside vendor they often ship work to.  The man's first name is "Rolondo."  Every. Single. Time the poor guy's name comes up, she insists on yelling out, at the top of her lungs, "ROOOOOOOOOO-LONNNNN_DOOOOO" to the tune of "Volare."  Then she cracks up laughing at herself.

It's not funny.  It never has been, I doubt it ever will be, and it hurts my ears.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

LeeLee88

« Reply #209 on: April 23, 2010, 06:39:38 PM »
The feeling of cornstarch grinding together, like if it's in a bag or a box and you squish the bag/box, and cornstarch grinds together in this way that makes me want to touch the top of my head to my shoulders and scream.  ugh... uuuaaaaAAAAHHHH!!!  Writing it out made me twitchy, ick. 

Can't stand catching ragged fingernails/cuticles on anything.  I get punchy when people say things like, "Well, ACK-tu-all-EEEEEEE", and "BASE-ick-LEEEEEE", because 1) the way they say it is awful, and 2) the words that come after that should either correct a previous statement or reveal a previously-unspoken truth.  The people who generally say it like I wrote it never understand that, and only say it to be contrary or to try to shut down any furth conversation on the subject. 

When I stand up and my pants won't obey gravity, so I'm left thinking of a way to slyly pull on the front of my pants so I don't look like I have a diaper on or something.  I try to shake the legs a bit, but that just looks dumb  :P