Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1296333 times)

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2010, 10:48:40 AM »
I get all the website generated emails for my company (the "webmaster" and "contact us" emails).

I'm really beginning get annoyed with the emails that are in all caps, use no capitalization, and/or use no punctuation.  I can handle atrocious spelling.  But the lack of punctuation can make it really hard to read, and therefor delays by ability to respond appropriately.   >:( 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »
A few co-workers in different departments do largely spreadsheet or database work, and for whatever reason they do it in all caps. So they never turn off their caps lock. So every e-mail I get from them, I have to remind myself, is not me being yelled at.
Words mean things.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2010, 03:03:06 PM »
A few co-workers in different departments do largely spreadsheet or database work, and for whatever reason they do it in all caps. So they never turn off their caps lock. So every e-mail I get from them, I have to remind myself, is not me being yelled at.

I had a coworker once who did something similar.  The program she worked in all day required caps, and she's always forget to switch it off for regular emails.

Part of the problem with the website generated emails I get is that often they are complaint emails.  So if it's in all caps, I never know if they really are yelling, or just don't realize that caps are hard to read and very annoying.  I know they're not complaining about me*, but knowing that doesn't offer much comfort. 

*The majority of the emails I get are "How do I apply to XYZ program/Please send me an application", so I happily reply to those.  It's the other emails that get a bit, um, rough to deal with over and over again.

However, it's also annoying to get emails requesting an application for a program that our website very obviously states is closed because we have so many current applications that we need to process before we can accept applications. I really want to reply - "Since you can write, you should be able to read that the website says the ABC Program hasn't accepted new applications in 4 years!"
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Azrail

• 'If all the insects on earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on earth would disappear. If all humans disappeared, within 50 years all species would flourish as never before.'
  • Sometimes square parents have round babies.
« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2010, 08:41:25 PM »
I hate when you have a crack on the bottom of your foot and it snags on the bedsheets.
Wherever you are... that's where you happen to have gone.

kitty_ev

« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2010, 08:54:44 PM »
Squeaky windscreen wipers drive me batty. Mine are squeaking at the moment- it's the motor- and I dread it raining when I have to drive.

The other thing that really bothers me is when people are going round the supermarket and decide they don't want a chilled item and rather than go back and put it in a fridge (any fridge! doesn't even have to be the correct one!) they put it in one of the freezers instead. It happens quite regularly in my local supermarket and it really annoys me- it's not like putting it in the freezer is destroying it any less than leaving it on a shelf would!

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2010, 08:57:56 PM »
Squeaky windscreen wipers drive me batty. Mine are squeaking at the moment- it's the motor- and I dread it raining when I have to drive.

The other thing that really bothers me is when people are going round the supermarket and decide they don't want a chilled item and rather than go back and put it in a fridge (any fridge! doesn't even have to be the correct one!) they put it in one of the freezers instead. It happens quite regularly in my local supermarket and it really annoys me- it's not like putting it in the freezer is destroying it any less than leaving it on a shelf would!

People here actually do just put it on the shelf. I regularly find a package of chicken or something in with the cookies.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2010, 09:02:11 PM »
Word mispronunciations drive me up the wall--especially the word "nuclear". How people get "nuke-you-lar" out of that is beyond me. Maybe other eHellions know?

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2010, 09:19:02 PM »
People who don't clean the lint trap after their last load. Perhaps this is a case of my parents raising me to be a doormat, but I was always taught that you should do this as a courtesy to the next person. Most people I know just clean it before their first load goes in.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2010, 10:22:55 PM »
I have no idea, but I suspect it's a genetic thing that also causes the perp / sufferer to pronounce the term "realtor" as "real-a-tur."

I called a real estate radio show over the weekend to point out that if the host wanted to use the copyrighted term "realtor," he should pronounce it correctly.
Words mean things.

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
Should I be worried that a) so many Ehellions are bothered by the same things, and b) that I am part of that group?

Add me to the lists for:
- grammatical and spelling errors, including random pluralization, apostrophe abuse, and the “close enough” approach to spelling
- verbal cutesiness under any circumstances (that includes talking to babies and animals)
- euphemisms
- anyone but the “chosen few” touching me
- people who can’t get to the point (my DXH, who, when you ask him what time it is, tells you how to build a watch)
- people who make noise with empty soda cans, or, worse, empty plastic water bottles
- people oblivious to their surroundings – who block aisles, sidewalks, etc because they don’t pay attention to other people and things around them
- noises, especially leaf blowers, loud music and small yappy dogs (we call them “lunch dogs”)
- sticky or dirty hands. I wash my hands a lot.
- my hair getting caught in the hinges of my glasses. Since I use “cheaters” for reading, I push them up on top of my head, out of the way, when not using them – so this happens a lot
- being touched by DH’s feet while in bed – not the rest of him, just his feet! What is it about feet?
- removing other people’s hairs from the shower, bath, sink and/or washing machine. With four cats, a long-haired teenager, and a middle-aged DH, that’s pretty much all the time. Yuck!
- pretty much everything on TV. 500 channels and nothing worth watching.
- the sound silverware makes against our stoneware when DS is trying to get the last of his pasta sauce. Yes, I make awesome marinara, but that sound is like fingernails on chalkboard on steroids.
- my pants not staying up right at my waist, so that the crotch is too long. Since I’ve been losing weight (not on purpose), it’s a constant problem.
- women’s shoes that look great but don’t come in wide sizes. I don’t care if B width is standard, those of us who wear E and EE deserve pretty shoes too!
- women’s work clothing designed by the clueless, who assume that all women are the same size and shape. No, we’re not, and I resent having to buy men’s things  to fit over the girls and then tailor them everywhere else. Also, work wear suppliers who have ten times the selection in men's as in women's clothing and equipment, even in fields where women are now in the majority (yes, UnderArmour, I'm talking to you!)
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

Kath68

« Reply #220 on: April 27, 2010, 02:07:31 AM »
When I'm going to the shop to pick something up and DH says "Get some icecream too, if you want". I don't get any, because I don't want it. Then DH gets annoyed when I come home without ice cream, because he asked for it! No, you didn't, you left the decision up to me. I've learnt to say "Well, I don't want any, do you want me to get some for you?"

kitty_ev

« Reply #221 on: April 27, 2010, 07:29:03 AM »

People here actually do just put it on the shelf. I regularly find a package of chicken or something in with the cookies.

They do that here as well, but it doesn't bother me as much as putting it in the freezer for some reason!

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #222 on: April 27, 2010, 07:36:04 AM »
I hate when you have a crack on the bottom of your foot and it snags on the bedsheets.

Ooohh I know your pain.  :(
Stewart/Colbert '16

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #223 on: April 27, 2010, 07:55:53 AM »
How about the sagging pants thing on some young guys?  The other day I saw one on the subway whose jeans were belted (or whatever) below the gluteus maximus.  Can anyone explain this?

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2010, 09:09:15 AM »
Yes, but it'll get me in trouble.
Words mean things.