Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 1706825 times)

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #225 on: April 27, 2010, 09:59:36 AM »
How about the sagging pants thing on some young guys?  The other day I saw one on the subway whose jeans were belted (or whatever) below the gluteus maximus.  Can anyone explain this?

I saw a man in his late forties or fifties dressed like this yesterday.  Belt and all.  Apparently stupidity and/or lack of mirrors at home is not limited to a single generation.  :o
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #226 on: April 27, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »
I sorta get the saggy pants thing (I think it's silly, but whatever).  I totally do not get the *belted* below the butt thing.  How can that be comfortable?

kitty_ev

« Reply #227 on: April 27, 2010, 10:29:57 AM »
Another that annoys me- people who go to the supermarket in massive groups then stand in the middle of the centre aisle gossiping. This happened quite a bit in the supermarket I used to go to as it was frequented by large numbers of students. Cooking as a household is a good thing as it saves money, but going shopping as a  massive (think 8-9) group in the supermarket on a Saturday and wandering slowly around, gossiping and generally blocking the way for other customers is incredibly annoying! Particularly if they then giggle at you or give you a dirty look if you try to pass them or reach something on a shelf next to them.

I also get unreasonably annoyed with people who turn up late on Sundays expecting to still be allowed into the store. The UK has Sunday trading laws that only allow a store above a certain size to trade for 6 hours on a Sunday. Most stores open at 10 and shut at 4 on Sunday for this reason. We always do our weekly shop at around 3.30 on a Sunday, meaning that we are usually leaving the car park at around 4.15. Every single week there are people who turn up at 4.15, stride purposefully up to the doors where there are usually 2 members of staff allowing people out but not into the store, and then get huffy or into an argument with said members of staff because they're not allowed into the store to shop. It's not like the Sunday trading laws are new or anything- one would have thought people would have got the hang of things by now!

Lady Macbeth

« Reply #228 on: April 27, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
Nucular.

I heard Controversial Politician make a speech saying our president has no idea what he's talking about when he talks about NUCULAR energy/weapons. I yelled at the TV, "At least he knows how to pronounce it!"

Oh, and I find it infuriating when I see Husband has thrown away milk cartons. They can be reccled!! >:(
My writing blog! blogspot.patriciacorrell.com

Emmy

« Reply #229 on: April 27, 2010, 12:15:09 PM »
How about the sagging pants thing on some young guys?  The other day I saw one on the subway whose jeans were belted (or whatever) below the gluteus maximus.  Can anyone explain this?

I hate that too.  Since skinny jeans for guys became in style, I saw one guy wearing skinny jeans with the sagging rear end.  The jeans were belted below the rear end and tight as leggings all down his leg.  Those are my two least favorite trends for men and seeing them together on one person was an eyesore.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #230 on: April 27, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »
Poeple who add an s to a word when it doesn't belong.  The worst for me is the local grocery store Cub Foods.

Cub Foods locations also have bank branches in them, I used to manage there, and would hear people on the phone telling someone "I'm in Cubs"

Drove me up a wall.  You are in CUB FOODS singular.  You are not in multiple cub locations (or cubs) you cannot even balnce your checkbook, let alone master the space time continuum in sufficent fashion to shop in multiple stores at the same time.

My wife and friends think it is funny to say it as often as possible to me :(

That and Kmarts, Walmarts and JCPenneys.  There are no such places.

Victoria's Secrets too.  ITS SINGULAR.

Also, when people say things like "I have a Facebook" no, you are ON FB, but you don't HAVE one...I know its petty but that drives me nuts.

Synergy

« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2010, 01:07:54 PM »
I hate it when the fast food drive through window order taker interrupts me.  I know it sounds stupid, but if I'm ordering a number 2 combo meal, I want to tell you what I want on my burger before I tell you what I want to drink. 

"I'd like a number 2 combo with..."
"Youwantcheeseonthat?"
"No, thank you.  I'd like ketchup..."
"Whatkindofdrinkwiththat?"
"Diet coke.   I'd like ketchup, mustard..."
"Willtherebeanythingelsewiththat?"
"Yes, I'd like you to stop interrupting me while I'm trying to give you my order." 

Now that I think about it, if I get lunch from a fast food drive through often enough to get annoyed by this, I probably need to re-evaluate my eating habits.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #232 on: April 27, 2010, 03:04:19 PM »
I have a lot of little noise issues. If there is an alarm clock anywhere in a house, I can't sleep. Actually, any repetitive noise with pauses completely keeps me from sleeping. Fans or other white noise is totally fine. Radios, television, alarms, telephones, loud talking, snoring, people playing Scrabble... if it's not a continuous noise, it wakes me up, and then it makes me mean. I just lie in bed focusing on the noise, hating whoever is making the noise until it's all I can do not to go on a rampage with a baseball bat.

Chalkboards. Just chalkboards. The sound of chalk on them, the smell, seeing fingers touching chalkboards... scratching makes me scream in pain. I have no idea why I'm so sensitive to them, but I am. It's not good that my college is almost exclusively equipped with chalkboards.

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2010, 03:48:58 PM »
I sorta get the saggy pants thing (I think it's silly, but whatever).  I totally do not get the *belted* below the butt thing.  How can that be comfortable?

We have had a number of incidents recently where the saggy-pants guys get "pantsed" while at bars and clubs. I am always terribly tempted to do something similar, especially when it's somebody trying desperately to look hip/cool/ghetto.

OTOH, those who wear their belts below their behinds are *very* easy to arrest - they can't run away!
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2010, 03:51:58 PM »
I have a lot of little noise issues. If there is an alarm clock anywhere in a house, I can't sleep. Actually, any repetitive noise with pauses completely keeps me from sleeping. Fans or other white noise is totally fine. Radios, television, alarms, telephones, loud talking, snoring, people playing Scrabble... if it's not a continuous noise, it wakes me up, and then it makes me mean. I just lie in bed focusing on the noise, hating whoever is making the noise until it's all I can do not to go on a rampage with a baseball bat.

Chalkboards. Just chalkboards. The sound of chalk on them, the smell, seeing fingers touching chalkboards... scratching makes me scream in pain. I have no idea why I'm so sensitive to them, but I am. It's not good that my college is almost exclusively equipped with chalkboards.

You wouldn't be able to spend the night at my place :)  I'm in an old school that's been converted to lofts - lots of original chalkboards :)  That and the chirping bird who sings at 2am, you'd grab a bat in seconds!

I hate the Brandsmart commercials with the woman's voice.  I HAVE to change the channel/station before she says "low low prices" or I get nausous.  Seriously, it's weird.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #235 on: April 27, 2010, 04:11:06 PM »

We have had a number of incidents recently where the saggy-pants guys get "pantsed" while at bars and clubs. I am always terribly tempted to do something similar, especially when it's somebody trying desperately to look hip/cool/ghetto.

OTOH, those who wear their belts below their behinds are *very* easy to arrest - they can't run away!

DH is a corrections officer, and sagging pants aren't allowed on the walk.  He uses this particular fashion crime as criteria for deciding whom to "pull over" for a pat search. 

The other day, an employee in some big-box store was sporting sagging pants, and DH told me me came >thisclose< to yelling out for the guy to stop on the side to be searched.   

;D

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #236 on: April 27, 2010, 04:38:36 PM »
Well, one thing I don't think those saggy pants guys know... the look did indeed originate in prison (they think it makes them look tough, I guess). However, what is being advertised is not toughness, if you get my drift.

So basically all of those guys are walking around signaling their scrabble availability. I have no doubt that most of them would be horrified to find that out.

Punky B.

• I prefer not to.
« Reply #237 on: April 27, 2010, 05:25:19 PM »

When I went to high school, if your pants sagged, you were getting pantsed.  I would never do that now, but my best "pants kill" was to get a guy that was bowling with us mid-bowl.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #238 on: April 27, 2010, 05:26:59 PM »

When I went to high school, if your pants sagged, you were getting pantsed.  I would never do that now, but my best "pants kill" was to get a guy that was bowling with us mid-bowl.

I don't know, sometimes the saggy pants comes in handy.  We were on the train & a guy sat on a wet seat.  He only got his boxers wet - he pulled his pants up over it - dry hiney  ;D

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #239 on: April 28, 2010, 01:35:55 PM »

I don't know, sometimes the saggy pants comes in handy.  We were on the train & a guy sat on a wet seat.  He only got his boxers wet - he pulled his pants up over it - dry hiney  ;D

Ew!  Wet seat on the train?