News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 19, 2017, 08:50:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 4220790 times)

Gladly

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #25620 on: August 17, 2017, 03:12:00 AM »
There is someone who lives near us who is incapable of giving their correct address to take away drivers.

There are 2 sets of houses, one on either side of a large building.  Lets say they are North Road and South Road.  We live at 2 South Road.  Every 3 weeks or so, the doorbell rings late in the evening and it's someone delivering pizza or a Chinese or Indian takeaway, which we haven't ordered.  It's always for 2 North Road.  We get no other deliveries for them, just food.  I've told the poor delivery guys to explain to them that their directions are wrong, but it still happens on a regular basis.  A couple of times I've gone to their house to tell them what's happening, but they are never in. It maybe that they work shifts, which explains the odd meal times, and I have gone during the day.  I'm not going to leave a note for something this little and petty, but d*mnit it's annoying!

DH is threatening to say "If it's paid for we'll take it".

Are you sure that the delivery people aren't making the mistake?

And I'd leave the note.  If it's worth going to their house a few times to try talking to them, it's worth leaving a note.

It never happens with any other deliveries or couriers, only the take-aways.  The postcode is very similar, but still distinct eg YZ1 2CD and YZ1 2CE.  SatNavs will get it right, which is shown by the fact that other deliveries don't arrive here.  I think they are giving verbal directions along the lines of "The road on the left beside Big Building", but not saying which side of Big Building. 

As I said, it's only a little thing, and I shouldn't get annoyed by it, but I do.

Mayadoz

• Nobody is in charge of my happiness except me.
« Reply #25621 on: August 17, 2017, 07:22:14 AM »
Two examples of this today - people breaking arrangements with no contact!

Firstly, I was supposed to have a Skype call with a client this morning to discuss future projects. I was a couple of minutes late signing into Skype due to it refusing to accept my password, but I Facebook-messaged AND texted her to say so. When I signed in, she was showing as 'active' so I messaged to say 'Hi, I'm here, shall I call you or will you call me?' A moment later her status changed to 'away'. Since then.....no contact, no response to my messages.

This afternoon I was due to complete a test assignment for a potential new client. They asked me to email ten minutes ahead of time to confirm I was ready, which I did. (Pretty sure the email went through as it's showing in my 'Sent' folder and I also bcc'd myself to be sure.)
Twenty minutes later I'm still sitting here waiting for the brief to drop into my inbox. No response to my email, no answer on the phone.

Feeling quite aggrieved - not to mention invisible - as there are plenty of other productive things I could have done with my time.  >:(
Life is short. Buy the shoes. Drink the wine. Order the dessert.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #25622 on: August 17, 2017, 11:03:50 AM »
I know that a person's telephone is there for their convenience, but when it's something time sensitive and I've left a few messages by now, they really should get back to me. Especially when it's tomorrow and involves me being at their home. Sigh.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #25623 on: August 17, 2017, 11:13:38 AM »
My relative asked me for money again.

The answer is no. The answer will always be no.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #25624 on: August 17, 2017, 11:23:52 AM »
GPS shows three entries into my subdivision - one of them has a fence across it and that fence has been there long enough that it got replaced about three years ago (we moved here in 2005 & it was showing enough fading to show that it was nowhere near new back then).  But a friend from out of state has been *tricked* by her GPS three times in five years when she came to visit me (she doesn't always have time when she's in town for a convention - those years, we meet at the convention center).

We've got a similar problem. My place and the property next door were developed together, but are separate townhome/condo complexes. Each has their own gated entrance. There is a locked gate between the two, but I doubt that it's been opened in 30 years. Some maps show it as accessible so the guards at each of the properties find themselves sending people out and around to the other one, thanks to GPS. In fact, this happened to me when I first came to look at the place.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #25625 on: August 17, 2017, 11:41:23 AM »
We've got guests coming in for a fan convention in November. I offered to let them stay with me as I figured it would make finances easier for them. Now, I totally want to still do this, but my minor social anxiety is taunting me.

Cleargleam

« Reply #25626 on: August 17, 2017, 11:54:30 AM »
1. Over-filled dispensers, that are too jammed full with product to dispense anything.

2. Penny pinching toilet paper makers, who have shaved a few 1/8 of an inch off the roll, which means the roll no longer fits the standard dispenser.  Yes, there are adapters.  Some work badly, and not all facilities have them.

3.  Co-irkers who think that because you will take care of a task if you note it needs to be done, they can just leave it for you to do. 
Not so much, monkey-boy.  I've been really nice filling up the backup pitcher for the coffee, until the day nobody had taken care of it - despite there being two pitchers and the coffee pot's internal tank.  All three were completely empty.  So I filled them all, and keep a quart bottle on my desk.  From this point forward, I'll top up the coffee pot's internal tank with my quart bottle.  The rest of the office can make an occasional water run. 

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #25627 on: August 18, 2017, 12:50:06 AM »
Clients. I wrote an article early in the week, got paid for it, thought no more of it. Then I found yesterday that the client had reversed payment (no reason given) and removed the article. That's OK.

Then I found they'd put it back up without my byline & referral link, so I have no byline and no pay. That's NOT ok. I've written to them once yesterday, and then again just now, but I may have to name and shame to a few writer associations if it's not corrected.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #25628 on: August 18, 2017, 02:34:19 AM »
Clients. I wrote an article early in the week, got paid for it, thought no more of it. Then I found yesterday that the client had reversed payment (no reason given) and removed the article. That's OK.

Then I found they'd put it back up without my byline & referral link, so I have no byline and no pay. That's NOT ok. I've written to them once yesterday, and then again just now, but I may have to name and shame to a few writer associations if it's not corrected.

Oo-er! Hello, theft.  :P Please do let us know how this goes; I hope you get a fast and satisfactory resolution!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #25629 on: August 18, 2017, 03:53:24 AM »

Oo-er! Hello, theft.  :P Please do let us know how this goes; I hope you get a fast and satisfactory resolution!
Nope. Apparently it is my fault for breaking a rule that they changed after sending me the written requirements for the job and agreeing them. I pointed out I didn't agree to any contract changes or get informed of them to agree them and requested they delete the article again (if it breaks rules, why is it still up?). I've kicked this up the chain to the Freelancers Association.

Its only 400 words, so not a big loss, but pred-edit will get a notice.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:00:12 AM by atirial »

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #25630 on: August 18, 2017, 05:45:26 AM »

The Earl of Sandwich would be displeased - he wanted something he could eat conveniently with one hand, without having to stop gambling, so oversized messy sandwiches go against his original design.  >:D

I guess he wouldn't approve of this:

This is pretty standard in New York City.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #25631 on: August 18, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »

You can file a DCMA violation.  Doesn't take long and most provider act very quickly. 

pattycake

« Reply #25632 on: August 19, 2017, 10:07:53 PM »
When I post a picture of a finished project in a Facebook quilting group, and the very first thing I say is "here is my finished (Name of Pattern) project", and sure enough somewhere down the line someone says "what's the name of the pattern?" (oh yeah, guess I should post that in the craft thread!)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #25633 on: August 20, 2017, 09:55:41 PM »
Entitled potluck guests.

Last night was the Potluck Queen's latest party.  Several of the people on her official guest list posted to the FB page asking if they could bring "a guest" and she answered that they could.  One of the +1s arrived a second before I did and he was empty-handed.  He told PQ's boyfriend that he was a guest of Person A.  PQ didn't recognize the guy either.  However, the person who had permission to invite him allegedly was about half an hour behind him.  I didn't think about this at that moment.

Hours later PQ and I decided that it was time to offer the ice cream.  She asked "Who wants ice cream?" as I took it out of the freezer and listed the flavors (vanilla, strawberry, double fudge brownie, and mint chocolate chip) and most of the guests wanted some.  This guy asked for a strawberry cone.  I told him there were no cones (I didn't think to buy any, as I knew there would be plates, spoons, etc.).  He said "No cones?" in a tone of voice that provoked the Queen to say, "Dude, when somebody brings four containers of ice cream you can at least be grateful for it."

I raised an eyebrow and said nothing.  It's always the ones who don't bring anything.

dawnfire

« Reply #25634 on: August 20, 2017, 10:13:27 PM »
when time sensitive mail is slow/ delayed. The council sent out my son's kindergarten acceptance letter on the 17th July, it needed to acted upon ,( accept, reject or defer for a year), by the 30th July or it would be taken as a rejection of the offer. The letter arrived today.  luckily I got a text referring to the due date and I called them and sorted it out but still
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:20:44 PM by dawnfire »
Whittlesea Victoria