News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 18, 2017, 12:56:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 4501825 times)

PastryGoddess

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #25635 on: August 20, 2017, 11:48:14 PM »
when time sensitive mail is slow/ delayed. The council sent out my son's kindergarten acceptance letter on the 17th July, it needed to acted upon ,( accept, reject or defer for a year), by the 30th July or it would be taken as a rejection of the offer. The letter arrived today.  luckily I got a text referring to the due date and I called them and sorted it out but still

Now I've only been to Australia once and I fully understand that there are parts that are really really far away from other places.  But seeing as though your kiddo is in kindergarten and the school is probably fairly close.  A month seems like a really long time for the mail to get to you. 

turtleIScream

« Reply #25636 on: August 21, 2017, 07:25:01 AM »
Our local donut shop advertised special donuts for Eclipse Day, available all day. Except they were sold out by 7:30 am.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

daen

« Reply #25637 on: August 21, 2017, 07:40:07 AM »
when time sensitive mail is slow/ delayed. The council sent out my son's kindergarten acceptance letter on the 17th July, it needed to acted upon ,( accept, reject or defer for a year), by the 30th July or it would be taken as a rejection of the offer. The letter arrived today.  luckily I got a text referring to the due date and I called them and sorted it out but still

I once got a notification letter that my vehicle insurance was being suspended the day before I received the letter warning me that I had five business days to pay my insurance or risk suspension.
(Bad time management on my part to get to that point at all, I know, but still.)

kckgirl

« Reply #25638 on: August 21, 2017, 05:41:13 PM »

I once got a notification letter that my vehicle insurance was being suspended the day before I received the letter warning me that I had five business days to pay my insurance or risk suspension.
(Bad time management on my part to get to that point at all, I know, but still.)

Back in the Dark Ages when the only way to pay was by mail with a check, I got a cancellation notice from my car insurance company every month. I always mailed my check about two weeks in advance, but they took 10-15 business days (read 2-3 weeks) to process the payment after they received it. I was a young, under-employed single mother, and couldn't afford to get one payment ahead, so every month they sent me a warning that they were going to cancel for nonpayment, then two or three days later they sent a notice that my insurance was continued without interruption. Every month. What a waste!
Maryland

Dr. F.

« Reply #25639 on: August 21, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »

Back in the Dark Ages when the only way to pay was by mail with a check, I got a cancellation notice from my car insurance company every month. I always mailed my check about two weeks in advance, but they took 10-15 business days (read 2-3 weeks) to process the payment after they received it. I was a young, under-employed single mother, and couldn't afford to get one payment ahead, so every month they sent me a warning that they were going to cancel for nonpayment, then two or three days later they sent a notice that my insurance was continued without interruption. Every month. What a waste!

Similarly, I just recently got a check in the mail for $0.18. Yes, eighteen cents. I had slightly overpaid because I misread the numbers. They spent more in postage to send the thing to me than it was worth.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #25640 on: August 21, 2017, 07:06:42 PM »
Entitled potluck guests.

Last night was the Potluck Queen's latest party.  Several of the people on her official guest list posted to the FB page asking if they could bring "a guest" and she answered that they could.  One of the +1s arrived a second before I did and he was empty-handed.  He told PQ's boyfriend that he was a guest of Person A.  PQ didn't recognize the guy either.  However, the person who had permission to invite him allegedly was about half an hour behind him.  I didn't think about this at that moment.

Hours later PQ and I decided that it was time to offer the ice cream.  She asked "Who wants ice cream?" as I took it out of the freezer and listed the flavors (vanilla, strawberry, double fudge brownie, and mint chocolate chip) and most of the guests wanted some.  This guy asked for a strawberry cone.  I told him there were no cones (I didn't think to buy any, as I knew there would be plates, spoons, etc.).  He said "No cones?" in a tone of voice that provoked the Queen to say, "Dude, when somebody brings four containers of ice cream you can at least be grateful for it."

I raised an eyebrow and said nothing.  It's always the ones who don't bring anything.

Yeah, one of my brothers commented at Christmas (2014) about there not being any pecan pie and what a terrible thing that was...but I did come up with a fairly good response later.

It would work here.

"The next time you're invited, you can bring that dish!"

Never mind that the "plus one" might be waiting for the next total eclipse over North America before the Potluck Queen gives him a personal invitation to come back. 

VorGuy & I are talking about what to do for Christmas 2018...not sure I'm ready to host again this year (long story - involving Dad passing away about three weeks before Christmas in 2016 and I'm not feeling ready to be hosting & celebrating in a large group yet).

That brother will get a reminder that it's easier for him to get a pecan pie, since he lives in that town (where we can use a time share resort as the gathering place, as nobody's house is exactly large enough for "everybody") or in a central location.

This year - probably go see the grandkids, who live close to the East Coast, not Texas.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 07:08:21 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #25641 on: August 22, 2017, 05:33:30 AM »
I never found out who allegedly invited this guy, but when I see PQ at the Labor Day BBQ she is co-hosting with the grillmaster (at his place) I'm going to suggest that she post on her next one that any +1's (or more) will also be expected to bring stuff.  The Meetup that she and I run together has a rule that any guests of members are also expected to follow group rules and contribute $2 per event toward group expenses.

I didn't know until the night before that I would be getting ice cream.  I had been thinking about the Polar Pizzas at the ice cream store but when I heard how many guests were expected I changed my mind.  (Polar Pizzas are $16 each and pre-cut to serve 8 ).  Edy's was on sale at Buy One Get One Free, so that was $12 for the 4 containers.  That should happen more often.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:39:10 AM by Venus193 »

o_gal

« Reply #25642 on: August 22, 2017, 07:40:51 AM »
Never mind that the "plus one" might be waiting for the next total eclipse over North America before the Potluck Queen gives him a personal invitation to come back. 

April 8, 2024? Maybe you need to schedule that potluck now  >:D

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #25643 on: August 22, 2017, 10:55:03 AM »

April 8, 2024? Maybe you need to schedule that potluck now  >:D

Yeah - before the hotels raise the rates on their rooms...or the caterers come up with a special rate on parties held just before, during, or just after the eclipse.  It would be pricier than a wedding...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Belle

« Reply #25644 on: August 22, 2017, 12:05:16 PM »
People who don't adjust their vehicle speed. Ever.

My drive to work (depending on my route) includes roads with a 55 -65 mph speed limit. The speed limit drops slightly on blind curves, and drops significantly (to anywhere from 20mph to 35mph) in towns.

At least once every few weeks I get stuck behind somebody who drives the exact same speed the entire route, regardless of the speed limit. At the beginning, they're driving 45 in a 55mph zone. Perhaps they're just incredibly cautious and slow? Oh, no, because when we hit the towns and the speed limit drops to 25mph, they continue to drive 45mph, which is way too fast. It's like they've chosen their speed, and they're going to stick to that speed, regardless of where they're driving.

I was stuck behind one for a while today - they were going nearly 15 under in the left lane (50mph in a 65mph). I was finally able to pass them in the right lane, only to have them catch up later when we entered a school zone and they were going double the speed limit, because they were still going 50mph.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #25645 on: August 22, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »
Right now, it is one-uppers. The people who have to do one better, and when we were discussing the results of a scientific study it made them sound really daft because they were trying to one up graph data that was right in front of everyone.

(Think one project requesting more server space because their system took off with clients, doubling their predicted usage, only to have a much small project that's nowhere near their current limits demanding they should get the bigger server claiming they handle more data - despite the fact they are logged as handling 10% of what project A is). 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:28:03 PM by atirial »

AustenFan

« Reply #25646 on: August 22, 2017, 03:54:33 PM »
I can't be the only person who sees over the top expressions of undying love on FB and wonders if the person said the same thing to their first (or second) spouse, am I? My cousin posts daily "my life is complete with you, I love you forever until the day I die, you're my soul mate, you had me at hello" style stuff and apart from vomiting in my mouth a little and thinking its tacky I always wonder if she made the same promises to her ex husband.

IMO the people who need to make a huge public display are the least secure, but I may be being a curmudgeon.

Barney girl

« Reply #25647 on: August 22, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »

Similarly, I just recently got a check in the mail for $0.18. Yes, eighteen cents. I had slightly overpaid because I misread the numbers. They spent more in postage to send the thing to me than it was worth.

They were probably just as fed up as you. We had a client pay a bill the other day. They just paid money into our client bank account without a reference. Our accounts team couldn't find anything it might relate to, but fortunately because of the type of client thought it might be something of mine. I worked out what it was and we realised that it was payment of a bill with 2 too much. We can't simply keep the money, so we then had to draw a cheque and do a letter sending it back. Total value of my time, my secretary's time and the accounts team's time - probably getting on for 100. I just hope they pay the cheque in, as until they do we cant archive the file.

RainyDays

« Reply #25648 on: August 22, 2017, 05:47:32 PM »
I've posted about this aunt before but again (as in, she's done this before) she has texted me prior to an RSVP date to "kindly remind" me to RSVP.

If you want people to RSVP earlier than the date on the invitation, then put a different date on the invitation!

rose red

« Reply #25649 on: August 22, 2017, 07:31:43 PM »

They were probably just as fed up as you. We had a client pay a bill the other day. They just paid money into our client bank account without a reference. Our accounts team couldn't find anything it might relate to, but fortunately because of the type of client thought it might be something of mine. I worked out what it was and we realised that it was payment of a bill with 2 too much. We can't simply keep the money, so we then had to draw a cheque and do a letter sending it back. Total value of my time, my secretary's time and the accounts team's time - probably getting on for 100. I just hope they pay the cheque in, as until they do we cant archive the file.

I was thinking the same thing. 0.18 cents may seem silly and a waste of a stamp, but it's still money that doesn't belong to the company and they don't want to get in trouble over 0.18 cents.

I've laughed over getting a check for 0.02 cents, but there's probably all these legal stuff in the background that I know nothing about.